Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

What beer is this?

Did New Alpine ever rebrew Great? Also, if anyone has any Great and they just want to, like, send it to me? Cool.

They did, it was ok and then not good. I don't anymore sadly. You have SJ in your local distro, we should all be (and rightfully are) envious of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh gently caress yeah zwanze day in at St. Somewhere is shaping up to be a monster:

I'm volunteering on the first shift, (11-6), come say hi

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Zwanze day was cancelled in my country. Dunno why, as the tickets last year sold out before I could get one. The tickets were super expensive and the venue was some art studio for hire, which does not sound very Jean, so maybe that is it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2018

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

They did, it was ok and then not good. I don't anymore sadly. You have SJ in your local distro, we should all be (and rightfully are) envious of you.

I am certainly not complaining about having access to the best BA'd barleywine regularly produced but Great was something on a whole different level. I'm not surprised they couldn't keep it up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Biomute posted:

Zwanze day was cancelled in my country. Dunno why, as the tickets last year sold out before I could get one. The tickets were super expensive and the venue was some art studio for hire, which does not sound very Jean, so maybe that is it.

I actually forgot to get tickets so I volunteered in order to get my foot in the door. But really I'm gonna be there for everything other than the zwanze pour.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Had a few hours to kill at LAX and dropped by Firestone Walker Propagator in Marina Del Rey. Good draft list including Barrelworks sours as well as some of their barrel aged beers. I really liked Mother's Milk, the collab with Creature Comforts. Beer tasted like liquid dulce de leche with raspberries.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Of course there's an established beer thread! Hello, I'm new to goons with spoons and I suppose relatively new to drinking (5 years now).

All I gotta say is, why are god drat barely wines so loving expensive? I love em, I understand that they aren't to be consumed in large amounts and i assume they are a hassle to make...

But, $15 for a 12oz bottle?! I don't care if it comes in its own box! Or how good the whiskey/bourbon barrel it was aged in! /rant.

I'm probably gonna buy one this friday. I've hand maybe less then a handful from local breweries here in San Diego. Please, yell out any recommendations before I make myself legit mad at the liqour store looking at the prices.

Old Guardian from Stone is pretty good but I'm pretty sure they stopped making it. Congratulations you've fallen in love with a style that's kind of out of fashion these days, especially on the west coast.

Avery's Hog Heaven is pretty readily available and was rebranded to an Imperial Red IPA because nobody buys barleywines but it's still the same beer. Alaskan makes a pretty good one that usually makes the rounds. Keep in mind it tends to be a seasonal style during winter, also, so it'll be harder to find right now. Someone else recommended Alesmith and Old Numbskull is probably a solid bet that's readily available. If you talk to beer nerds there's probably guys sitting on a few cases of Bruery stuff they'd happily give you. :P

If you like barleywine you'd probably also like Old Ales and perhaps Red/Imperial Red if you see them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the replies, I'll try and seek out these recommendations. I'm not gonna lie, barley wine is a new thing to me and I can't remember the names of the ones I've tried :smith: If I see one on the board at an Ale House I always try a sample. The last thing I had that was similar(not really) was a Russian Imperial Stout that was barrel aged in a 4 Roses barrel from Groundswell brew here in San Diego. Every since then I keep a drunk eye out!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try and seek out these recommendations. I'm not gonna lie, barley wine is a new thing to me and I can't remember the names of the ones I've tried :smith: If I see one on the board at an Ale House I always try a sample. The last thing I had that was similar(not really) was a Russian Imperial Stout that was barrel aged in a 4 Roses barrel from Groundswell brew here in San Diego. Every since then I keep a drunk eye out!

keep in mind that there are American and English barleywines; the former will have a significant hop bitterness, while the latter has minimal hop presence and rich, malty sweetness. it's labeled as a quad, but one you should really seek out is FW's Stickee Monkee

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god...why can't beer be simple? :doggo: I've seen that box floating around and was always hesitant to drop the bucks on it. I'll be sure to pick it up this week. If I can find it now.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like Old Horizontal from Victory, probably not considered fancy, but I prefer American pale barley wines for their relative drinkability. I couldn't finish a bottle of the triple brown ale thing that is currently popular.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i posted in the beer trading thread but no bites, anyway im looking to acquire like a case of New Glarus beer so hit me up if you want to send me that for some Tampa beers

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Oh god...why can't beer be simple? :doggo: I've seen that box floating around and was always hesitant to drop the bucks on it. I'll be sure to pick it up this week. If I can find it now.

You're gonna have to get over dropping more on better beer real fast

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

i work in the beer industry and therefore have little disposable income nowadays, but that's one i still always pick up in quantity. FW is an excellent brewery and way up there in the "if you could only drink beer from one brewery for the rest of your life" debate, so if there's a style you like, absolutely try their take on it. Curmudgeon's Better Half from Founders would probably float your boat, as well

if your original post was referring to JW Lees Harvest Ale, it's definitely worth shelling out for at least once; some vintages are whatever, but the good ones can be pretty special.

nah posted:

i posted in the beer trading thread but no bites, anyway im looking to acquire like a case of New Glarus beer so hit me up if you want to send me that for some Tampa beers

Wet Tie Affair was both a Wisconsinite and a good dude, but he almost never posts anymore, so i don't if either is still true.

god, i'm no help at all.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
We brewed our peanut chocolate stout today. The place smelled like a chocolatier went and exploded.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Biomute posted:

I’m curious how much the tickets were. A lot of the US ones are in the 70-100 range at this point. Of course some are full on beer fests.

I’m glad I’m not doing the Chicago one since it’s three days out and West Lakeview Liquors still hasn’t posted any information at all.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Duvel posted:

You're gonna have to get over dropping more on better beer real fast

:catstare: I mean! I guess!

It was more an issue if dropping big bucks on an unknown. If I have a recommendation by someone that's good enough to try some new poo poo, yo! I always buy a bottle of Brother Thelonious when I look for new beers. As a good ol' reliable back up.

Detective Thompson posted:

We brewed our peanut chocolate stout today. The place smelled like a chocolatier went and exploded.

This is 100% my poo poo right here :gizz:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I’m glad I’m not doing the Chicago one since it’s three days out and West Lakeview Liquors still hasn’t posted any information at all.

Hasn't it been the same thing for the last 3-4 years?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

Hasn't it been the same thing for the last 3-4 years?

Yeah and it is going to be there until she gives it up or dies. At that point Chicago will get a proper Zwanze day

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I’m curious how much the tickets were. A lot of the US ones are in the 70-100 range at this point. Of course some are full on beer fests.

Probably not that much. If I remember correctly it was about 40 USD to get in, get one pour of the zwanze beer, and then you buy beer there. Also, this is kind of weird since the official info was that Norway would not be having a zawnze day, yet one of the macrobreweries in the country are saying they will be hosting one (and that it is sold out).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Biomute posted:

Probably not that much. If I remember correctly it was about 40 USD to get in, get one pour of the zwanze beer, and then you buy beer there. Also, this is kind of weird since the official info was that Norway would not be having a zawnze day, yet one of the macrobreweries in the country are saying they will be hosting one (and that it is sold out).

Yeah, it's usually "all you can drink" at the US versions...

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

danbanana posted:

Yeah, it's usually "all you can drink" at the US versions...

I don't think this is true across the board.... the Monk's one specifically is PAYG

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

I don't think this is true across the board.... the Monk's one specifically is PAYG

But the Monks event also doesn’t have an entry fee or require tickets. It’s just a regular bar day that’s cash only with a bunch of Cantillon on tap.

If I had to buy an expensive ticket on top of paying for each pour I’d probably skip the event. Seems like too much of a money grab.

I’ll be doing Zwanze at The Sovereign in DC this year. They‘re selling tickets for the Zwanze pour but everything else is PAYG.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jester King Zwanze used to be a lottery to even get in, winners got a wristband which allows access to purchase pours. Now it's open to anyone and PAYG with a bunch of Cantillon available.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I stand corrected. WLV's has always been beer-fest style. I figured that was how most US places did it. Maybe local liquor laws prevent that?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I've never been the one near me but this is how it is this year and in years past:

"$25 gets a 6oz Zwanze 2018 Pour, one additional non-Zwanze 6oz Cantillon Gueuze or Kriek pour, and a commemorative 2018 Thin Man Zwanze Day glass.

*Rosé de Gambrinus, Grand Cru Bruocsella, and Nath are not included with the ticket price but will be available for individual purchase."

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The zwanze I went to here was around $150 but included a 7 course meal and 10 or so pours of different cantillon beers.

fe: This was stupidly expensive but it's so tasty

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

air- posted:

Had a few hours to kill at LAX and dropped by Firestone Walker Propagator in Marina Del Rey. Good draft list including Barrelworks sours as well as some of their barrel aged beers. I really liked Mother's Milk, the collab with Creature Comforts. Beer tasted like liquid dulce de leche with raspberries.

It's a good spot, doesn't get the weird beers from the HQ sadly but anytime you see a creature comforts collab it's going to be quality AF. El Segundo brewery is exactly in opposite direction so if anyone has a 3+ hour layover check them out as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Tickets to the nearest one to me in the uk were like ~15 dollars us

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The one i'm going to is $15 with a pour and I think a glass, pay as you go for everything else.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Coolship dunktank

Edit: This is a new idea to harvest yeast and I am 💯 on board with it.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2018

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The beer list went up for Far & Away.
https://www.halfacrefarandaway.com/beer-list/

E: vv that loving rules.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 28, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

well, John Laffler bought a plane ticket, so it looks like he'll be brewing a beer with us in about two weeks!

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

ChiTownEddie posted:

The beer list went up for Far & Away.
https://www.halfacrefarandaway.com/beer-list/

E: vv that loving rules.

AB Oil of Aphrodite
Recency Effect
Derivation 10 (are you loving kidding me?)

Those are almost certainly the first 3 beers I'd get, although the Derivation line will be insane I'm sure.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Somebody tell me that Braupakt is good. I just got a case but haven't opened it yet because I'm at my in-laws for the weekend.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Anything I need to check out in Philly? I'm in town for a wedding this weekend but I should have time Sunday morning/afternoon to make a stop or two.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

AB Oil of Aphrodite
Recency Effect
Derivation 10 (are you loving kidding me?)

Those are almost certainly the first 3 beers I'd get, although the Derivation line will be insane I'm sure.

There's still tickets available! I think Half Acre is a little surprised by that considering the line-up based on some tweets they've put out. This will be the first fest I've been to that wasn't within a mile of me in years because the list looked good. I figured it would sell out instantly but I guess the pastry and NEIPA crowd didn't get up for it despite, y'know, a lot of places bringing pastries and NEIPAs.

I totally just opened a Frangelic Mountain Brown and... it tastes like old coffee with too much sugar in it and blended with cigarette ash. Still better than it was fresh.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Somebody tell me that Braupakt is good. I just got a case but haven't opened it yet because I'm at my in-laws for the weekend.

I liked it. Slightly hoppy hefe

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Derivation is on the list and allagash brings white lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Duvel posted:

Derivation is on the list and allagash brings white lol

Allagash is also bringing this:

https://www.allagash.com/beer/saison-gratis/?ao_confirm

Which I'm willing to bet is better than anything Side Project has ever brewed.