Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

One of the Binding Coils groups I joined appeared to be grinding for these tomestones that upgrade equipment. Why would you want to upgrade level 50 (I assume?) equipment at level 70? Or does it actually change the appearance of it?

The equipment tomes that drop in Coils are actually mats for crafting dyeable versions of the Allagan / High Allagan / Dreadwyrm gear. It's the only way to get them. 2nd and Final Coils also drop items that upgrade ARR tomestone gear but it's very unlikely anybody cares about farming those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Safeword posted:

Think I've said it before, but even putting this thread aside the community has been really nice and patient. Maybe a little short with explaining some basic stuff, but always ready to listen at the least!

This is really true; the player-base is so nice that the rare exceptions REALLY stand out. This wasn't at all the case with WoW (where people didn't seem to mind being assholes). I have no clue what it is that makes this game attract nicer people, but people will almost always be nice to you unless you repeatedly gently caress up extremely badly and show no remorse.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’ve mostly seen toxic behavior in 24 player raids when the group wipes to a boss.

It turns out that the mechanics aren’t optional on the current raid tier.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ytlaya posted:

This is really true; the player-base is so nice that the rare exceptions REALLY stand out. This wasn't at all the case with WoW (where people didn't seem to mind being assholes). I have no clue what it is that makes this game attract nicer people, but people will almost always be nice to you unless you repeatedly gently caress up extremely badly and show no remorse.

The lack of PvP interactions is part of it. Because the vast majority of the game is co-op it encourages co-op behavior in it's playerbase. There's literally no (or little) benefit for people being dicks about things because the game just doesn't reward that kind of behavior.

brainwrinkle posted:

I’ve mostly seen toxic behavior in 24 player raids when the group wipes to a boss.

It turns out that the mechanics aren’t optional on the current raid tier.

I have been wanting to yell at tanks in the burn who think it's fine to stay in DPS stance on the last boss after they've died to it's tankbuster :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The lack of PvP interactions is part of it. Because the vast majority of the game is co-op it encourages co-op behavior in it's playerbase. There's literally no (or little) benefit for people being dicks about things because the game just doesn't reward that kind of behavior.

i mean theres no reward to being mean in other games either

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also, Final Fantasy has generally been about player-controlled heroes who defeat villains. Yeah, there's violence on behalf of the PC, and sometimes there's an antagonist along the way with complex motivations, but most of the time it's a vile and unrepentant mass murderer who, at least narratively, does way more harm than a PC who grinds XP on wildlife. Rarely do players actively compete with each other; most disagreements are about optimal equipment loadouts or favorite party members.

Warcraft went from a cartoonish veneer over the "bad" guys to "a wizard/warlock/demon did it" to bothsides-ism, all while opening up PvP (Warcraft 1 over LAN/legacy Battle.net counts).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Countblanc posted:

Well, open-world PVP tends to breed ruthless behavior because the guidelines on it is open enough and there's no reason not to behave "dishonorably" in those cases. In WoW at least they also really want to encourage players to identify with their faction (Horde players are no doubt having issues with that right now) and hate the other like it's a sports team...or real life nationalism.

But I'd chalk it down to the MSQ more since it's basically a shared experience for most players. Not everyone gets the same read from the themes and whatnot but it's largely a fuzzy warm story in a world that's sometimes grim, sometimes dark, but also often cheerful and hopeful. There's up and downs but the characters largely get through it by working together.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Countblanc posted:

In WoW, the resource nodes aren't (or weren't when I played) instanced. So you can have someone running around ahead of you, sniping resource nodes from you. They get the resources, you get frustration.
OG Everquest/Black Desert Online: another group of people busts into your camping spot and out-camps you. They get the xp and mob drops, you get frustration.
EvE Online: Ganking is a desirable and lucrative practice in the game. Someone blows you up and steals your stuff, you get your stuff taken and literally the only place you are safe is in a station. And only some stations at that.

There's dickheads in every game but games with a pvp focus I find encourage dickish behavior through how their base gameplay systems are designed. Well designed pvp systems encourage conflict and the 'to the winner go the rewards' mindset, which sucks for the loser most of the time.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 29, 2018

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Countblanc posted:

In games where you get the majority of your EXP from grinding trash mobs out in the world, there's absolutely a reward to being mean to people if it means they bugger off and let you have all the mobs to yourself.

I can't comment a lot on other MMOs personally, but definitely in Runescape, virtually none of the content was instanced, so whether you're mining nodes or cutting trees or farming mobs, you're always in direct competition with the rest of the playerbase for the same limited resources.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

lightrook posted:

In games where you get the majority of your EXP from grinding trash mobs out in the world, there's absolutely a reward to being mean to people if it means they bugger off and let you have all the mobs to yourself.

Even quest mobs can become endangered during the early rush of an expansion. XIV isn't even immune to that because you don't count as tagging a quest mob if you don't do enough damage quickly enough? Though WoW has, since Legion IIRC, made it so you could get quest credit if you tagged the monster? I'm not sure on the particulars.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Argas posted:

XIV isn't even immune to that because you don't count as tagging a quest mob if you don't do enough damage quickly enough?

It's not immune to it but there's very, very few quests as time goes on that require you to kill mobs that aren't spawned by quest triggers and it's exceptionally rare that you don't get credit for those even if someone else kills them.

Even then, the actual mechanics allow for people to share quest credit if the person who tags the mob lets the other person deal the majority of damage to it. I've shared countless B ranks that way.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Argas posted:

Even quest mobs can become endangered during the early rush of an expansion. XIV isn't even immune to that because you don't count as tagging a quest mob if you don't do enough damage quickly enough? Though WoW has, since Legion IIRC, made it so you could get quest credit if you tagged the monster? I'm not sure on the particulars.

Yep, as long as you do 1 point of damage and the other faction didn't tap it first, you get credit. The level scaling brought in Legion also helps as it naturally spreads the population into different zones. Anecdotally on a PvE server/non-Warmode shard, I rarely had to wait to kill mobs for quests in the level 100-120 experience.

tl;dr - it's better than it used to be, and FFXIV is still way less competitive.

Also FWIW, gathering nodes in WoW are similar. They remain for a short window after someone else loots them, and they respawn reasonably quickly. I never struggled to get herbs in Legion or BFA (outside of punching nearby trash mobs). Again, it's still more competitive than FFXIV.

isk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 29, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i've been leveling MCH a bit on the side, thinking the class was kind of a clunky mess that i hear gets worse but sticking with it anyway for the memes of "lol gun, also bad class"

i just unlocked gauss barrel and

oh

oh no

this is so much worse than i was ready for

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

i've been leveling MCH a bit on the side, thinking the class was kind of a clunky mess that i hear gets worse but sticking with it anyway for the memes of "lol gun, also bad class"

oh

oh no

Now, just imagine that, upon using Gauss Barrel, all of your actions gain a cast time. That was MCH back in the bad old days of Heavensward, and it hasn't gotten much better.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just completely ignore the heat gauge until you get heated shots at level 64. You don't really have the tools or reason to interact with it more than reapplying Gauss Barrel after you overheat until then.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

What's wrong with gauss barrel? I have MCH at like 51 or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What's the sweet spot in terms of skill speed for Warrior? I can do 5 cleaves per Inner Release but the last one is pretty right and I can easily miss it if the enemy moves slightly or if I have to quickly go out of range.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It would only be marginally less hilaribad than my (only marginally-serious) idea for a job: Onion Knight, but you must have every other job maxed out to unlock it, and it re-locks when caps go up. (Including DoH/DoL.)

My bad job idea is still Mime. Whenever you're instanced, you get a random DPS' toolkit and just have to run with that. For all those Mokujin fans out there.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

Ytlaya posted:

FFXIV is also much slower paced that WoW (in both combat and story) so the resulting community has a deeper well of patience.

Additionally, there is a bit more understanding between players as mechanics can actually be difficult and there isn’t really a FFXIV version of WoW’s dungeon journal or Deadly Boss Mods (a mod that nearly does mechanics for you in dungeons complete with marks and times for boss attacks).

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Soloing Lahabrea while the party watches the cutscene. I lagged and disconnected during the prior fight, and found myself like this. He didn't do much damage to me.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What's the sweet spot in terms of skill speed for Warrior? I can do 5 cleaves per Inner Release but the last one is pretty right and I can easily miss it if the enemy moves slightly or if I have to quickly go out of range.

Anything below 2.5 can get 5 Fell Cleaves, but faster will give you a lot more leeway. The most important thing is that you hit IR in the second half of your GCD. Right around when your GCD reaches the lower left corner of the icon is the sweet spot.

For a specific GCD to shoot for I'm a big fan of 2.38. You've got enough room during IR to make slight mistakes and the rotation flows incredibly well between IRs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tangents posted:

What's wrong with gauss barrel? I have MCH at like 51 or something.

Nothing really, it's just that you get 0 skills that interact with it until 62. MCH leveling is janky as gently caress. There's a reason why I rarely go into synced-down content as it, and I raid as it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's "Thavnaria"? I see a "Thavnarian Consulate" in Kugane (which I just arrived at - it is a cool looking city). Is it some other big country we just haven't visited? I feel like it having its own consulate implies that they haven't been invaded by Imperials yet.

RedRaven posted:

FFXIV is also much slower paced that WoW (in both combat and story) so the resulting community has a deeper well of patience.

Yeah, I don't remember actually having to "learn mechanics" in WoW outside of my brief foray into raiding, while completely regular FFXIV dungeons will flat-out kill you if you don't do mechanics correctly.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I remember way back in 2.0 watching people get hit with landslide on titan normal and getting killed and being unrezzable and thinking that was some hosed up poo poo at the time. Seems so mundane now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What's "Thavnaria"? I see a "Thavnarian Consulate" in Kugane (which I just arrived at - it is a cool looking city). Is it some other big country we just haven't visited? I feel like it having its own consulate implies that they haven't been invaded by Imperials yet.

Its the little island in the middle of the map here, just off the southwestern coast of Othard. Its a desert island that seems to be kind of Arabian-inspired, that I guess is well-known for enchantment or alchemy or something because Thavnairian experts come into play a lot in things like the relic quests. IIRC they have a treaty with Garlemald so as a nation they're a neutral third party. People seem to think that chances are pretty good that we'll be visiting them soon, though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I don't remember actually having to "learn mechanics" in WoW outside of my brief foray into raiding, while completely regular FFXIV dungeons will flat-out kill you if you don't do mechanics correctly.

Yeah, it's an island far east of Eorzea. The city-state of Radz-at-Han is located there. Thavnair and Radz-at-Han sort of get conflated in the terminology. Alchemy is a big thing there. Two popular sets of cosmetic armor hints at an Arabian Nights aesthetic to the place.

Edit: gently caress

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Argas posted:

Yeah, it's an island far east of Eorzea. The city-state of Radz-at-Han is located there. Thavnair and Radz-at-Han sort of get conflated in the terminology. Alchemy is a big thing there. Two popular sets of cosmetic armor hints at an Arabian Nights aesthetic to the place.

Edit: gently caress

drat, isn't ul'dah and gyr abania enough Arabian nights? It's enough for me.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I thought Thavnair is supposed to be more Indian than Arabian-inspired.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Persia or India with its relevance so far being sort of a Silk Road analogue, being the center point of any past cultural exchange between Othard/Hingashi and Eorzea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
O11S looks like a clusterfuck of nonsense. :stare:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

oh

oh no

roflmao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kaubocks posted:

oh

oh no

Look on the bright side! Eventually you'll be able to control your Heat.

Well past the point of its introduction. :shepicide:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I have no idea why the devs thought making the ranged classes into casters was a good idea at all and I'm glad nobody has to suffer that anymore.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ranged p.DPS into casters was not a bad decision. MCH worked absolutely fine, because *it was designed that way from the ground up*. Trying to bolt that onto BRD, however, was a mistake.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Hello, resident mch main who's here to do an effort post about machinists because I never get tired of complaining about my favorite job.

First off, an image from fflogs. This shows how many parses have been uploaded for Suzaku extreme, as of last night. (I was looking at it because my parse broke the top 50 and that's pretty cool)

Nobody plays machinist, at least not in high-end content. This is despite the fact that machinist does reasonably good personal DPS and has solid raid utility. Hypercharge and Dismantle are both fantastic buttons that are unique to machinist. They also bring refresh/tactician/palisade to the table, just like bards. (My current static has bard and machinist and it's pretty rad, frankly)

Here are some of there reasons mch is unpopular. I'll ignore things like stigma around the job.

- The leveling experience is horrible. Take a look: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/machinist/. They get no buttons at all between level 40 and level 50. And that's not even the worst of it.

You get gauss barrel at level 52. You get cooldown, your sole method of decreasing heat (short of removing gauss barrel) at level 62. You get flamethrower, your sole method of controlling when you go into overheat at level 70 (!!) That means that between 52 and 62, you have absolutely zero say in whether or not you're going to overheat, and until 70 you have no way of choosing your own timing on overheating.

- Once you are 70 and you have flamethrower, it's a pain in the neck to use. You gain 20 heat per tick, so if you're using it to overheat you're trying to predict when the last tick will put you there. You can't move during flamethrower, so you have to stand there for however many ticks you're trying to do. If you're trying to do the best possible rotation (I'll get to that) you need to have some razor-sharp precision there because you have an extremely brief window to - in essence - press every single button you've got. The difficult part is trying to get six GCDs in while overheated. Why is it so difficult?

- Playing machinist with high ping sucks. And in this case, high ping can be something to the tune of 80ms. If you can't reliably get six GCDs in during overheat - which is tough or impossible depending on your ping - you end up using a somewhat different rotation that only attempts to get five. Realistically this isn't a huge loss in DPS and is more minor than people make it out to be, but it sure is annoying that it's a thing at all.

- Let's say you're fine with all of that (like me!). Let's say you want machinist's (subjectively) cool animations and to do huge numbers with wildfire and blowing up your turret during burst windows. The skill floor for machinist is pretty dang high. Much of this is due to the jankiness I've already outlined. That definitely scares off players. That said, the skill ceiling isn't much higher. The rotation is as rote as they come, so the only tuning you need to do is if 1) you use oGCDs the wrong way 2) if mechanics force you to modify your rotation (like Suzaku requires you to).

At the end of the day I still find the job pretty fun at level 70 but it's largely being treated as a foregone conclusion that it'll get a huge overhaul again in 5.0. People harp on the cast bars in 3.0, but if you got over the mental hurdle of "you're a caster that shoots magic out of a gun" then you were left with a job that had a fairly elegant design that meshed together really well. Procs/ammo usage was a lot cooler when using said procs meant you didn't have cast times on your 1-2-3 (as much as you can call what mch has a 1-2-3). The biggest problem was that it dragged bard along for the ride, and the implementation on bards was bad. My biggest worry for 5.0 is that we're going to see that flip happen again. (also: it's not like machinist was popular in 3.0 either)

Thank you for reading this dumb effortpost about my favorite terrible job.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 29, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Here's my effort post

Don't play machinist

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Saint Freak posted:

Here's my effort post

Don't play machinist

this is a significantly better version of my post

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

My new favorite "wait what the gently caress why" moment in learning dps openers is SAM using meditate between GCDs for 10 free kenki. This should not work like this, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alakaiser posted:

You can't move during wildfireFLAMETHROWER