Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Furia posted:

I have considered checking out ubuntu phone or mobile or whatever it’s called how sad am I going to be afterwards?

us suicide hotline 1-800-784-2433 :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

indigi posted:

is Huawei any good. it has a cool looking name, but, I've never seen anyone talk about their products ever, and, have never heard the word spoken out loud. I could see it being either hoo-a-why (or way) or wah-why (or way)

huawei phones have very good build quality. emui is mediocre, but so is stock android and who cares. their native apps range from functional but ugly to sloppy, just like every other android device. good camera quality

the yellow scare is based on "well, what if they were spying?!" and the amazon blu phones that were spying on people, which were all devices that had been diverted to an ad company that flashed custom firmware to read texts and contacts, presumably for advertising but possibly at the direction of mss for some nefarious purpose

like, there's no evidence suggesting huawei participated in the blu phone scheme, and even if they had it would be par for the course in android land.

their real sin is making last year's iphones and galaxies for $250-500 this year

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Furia posted:

I have considered checking out ubuntu phone or mobile or whatever it’s called how sad am I going to be afterwards?

it's dead isn't it?

i figure the biggest issue with an oss phone is that pretty much all commercial hardware runs on socs which require a bunch of incompatible handholding, extremely fragile firmware setups, and generally paying the manufacturer cash money to have working properly. a bit pre-pc home computer era, but there is no real sign that it'll ever standardize itself

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

angry_keebler posted:

huawei phones have very good build quality. emui is mediocre, but so is stock android and who cares. their native apps range from functional but ugly to sloppy, just like every other android device. good camera quality

the yellow scare is based on "well, what if they were spying?!" and the amazon blu phones that were spying on people, which were all devices that had been diverted to an ad company that flashed custom firmware to read texts and contacts, presumably for advertising but possibly at the direction of mss for some nefarious purpose

like, there's no evidence suggesting huawei participated in the blu phone scheme, and even if they had it would be par for the course in android land.

their real sin is making last year's iphones and galaxies for $250-500 this year

source your quotes, I want to read more hilarious opinions like this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they probably weren't wholesale lifting your contacts and data, but if they were it would be fine because everyone including google is doing that anyway

- an argument in favour of android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's garbage that runs like rear end and can at best be described as sloppy

- your mother or emui?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

they probably weren't wholesale lifting your contacts and data, but if they were it would be fine because everyone including google is doing that anyway

- an argument in favour of android

they were doing it, but there’s no evidence they did it on behalf of the Chinese government. I’m sure they wouldn’t sell that data to just anyone with money and authoritarian power over them.

- a person defending a company blocked by the NSA from providing equipment for critical communication infrastructure in the US

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Management posted:

they were doing it, but there’s no evidence they did it on behalf of the Chinese government. I’m sure they wouldn’t sell that data to just anyone with money and authoritarian power over them.

- a person defending a company blocked by the NSA from providing equipment for critical communication infrastructure in the US

blu and huawei are two different companies, huawei didn't do any of that poo poo, hth

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

blu and huawei are two different companies, huawei didn't do any of that poo poo, hth

they did however have deals in place for att and verizon to sell their phones when the us government stepped in and told them that they couldnt do that which seems p. damning to me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i bought a huawei phone from a tmobile store years ago, what are you talking about

e: never mind i see the news about it

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 29, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/business/att-huawei-mate-smartphone.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/16950122/verizon-refuses-huawei-phone-att-espionage-cybersecurity-fears

man that was some hard googling

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
huawei is also a large producer of cell tower equipment, competing with Ericsson, Nokia, and Qualcomm. their equipment is pretty much banned in North America.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Furia posted:

isn't that stuff dead?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

source your quotes, I want to read more hilarious opinions like this

there used to be an entire chinese android thread that was just posts like this of people defending their spyware purchase because it was $50 cheaper than something that doesn't immediately offload all your data.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

they did however have deals in place for att and verizon to sell their phones when the us government stepped in and told them that they couldnt do that which seems p. damning to me

indicative of the need for protectionism of inferior american products that can't compete on price. there was never any proof of any allegations by the government

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what American products? there are none

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*memories*~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wish i had one of those. i have an htc magic, which is the second android phone ever sold. i got it because all-touchscreen was cooler in 2008 than one with a keyboard, like a fuckin blackberry or something. but these days it would be fun to say yeah, i have the very first android phone ever made.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
or, as i might put it, “patient zero”.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i got it because all-touchscreen was cooler in 2008 than one with a keyboard, like a fuckin blackberry or something.

yes, iPhones were cooler than androids in 2008, just like in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i wish i had one of those. i have an htc magic, which is the second android phone ever sold. i got it because all-touchscreen was cooler in 2008 than one with a keyboard, like a fuckin blackberry or something. but these days it would be fun to say yeah, i have the very first android phone ever made.

hm yes "fun" is definitely how i would describe owning a bad phone

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ubuntu touch is still being “community developed”

I just don’t use my phone much but would use it more if it was an actual computer so figured why not? I have an old iphone which is fine but variety is the spice of life or some poo poo I dunno

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Furia posted:

I just don’t use my phone much but would use it more if it was an actual computer so figured why not? I have an old iphone which is fine but variety is the spice of life or some poo poo I dunno

the point of using a phone is to use the apps to do things. if you want a computer buy a computer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Furia posted:

are you really gonna try this? i don't know anything about it but it sounds painful

actually... i have one of the supported devices lying around somewhere. i might try it if i ever need a silly weekend project lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also, phones are computers. ios and anroid now both have official file browser apps. dehumanize yourself and face to /

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

or, as i might put it, patient zero.

you should finish all of sagebrush's posts from now on

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you really gonna try this? i don't know anything about it but it sounds painful

actually... i have one of the supported devices lying around somewhere. i might try it if i ever need a silly weekend project lol

I’d be thrilled to hear the trip report honestly. It’s just that no app really does anything I am actually interested in (some ganes yeah but whatever) and a mini computer for some tasks would be nice

So yeah go for it + let know

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

you should finish all of sagebrush's posts from now on

*cues odd couple theme music*

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

im actually fond of sagebrush but our posting styles are very different.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

The Management posted:

no one should buy any android device if they are concerned with privacy or security

but pretending huawei is somehow worse than sarnsung is laughable. the big concern is, what if huawei's device encryption eventually actually works? we have direct sweetheart deals with the koreans to compel sarnsung's cooperation, and if apple talks a good privacy game, they are still an american company and can be compelled by secret order to cooperate

but when jim from the office and detective moreland breathlessly shout about a ticking clock terror plot the guy on the other end of the phone from huawei will say "嗯...太可惜了" before the camera whip pans to reveal the huawei customer support office is actually in a dingy warehouse filled with chinese terrorists packing machineguns into wood crates stamped with "B A B Y T O Y B E S T N U M B E R O N E S H I P T O U.S.A."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

no one should buy any android device if they are concerned with privacy or security

but pretending huawei is somehow worse than sarnsung is laughable. the big concern is, what if huawei's device encryption eventually actually works? we have direct sweetheart deals with the koreans to compel sarnsung's cooperation, and if apple talks a good privacy game, they are still an american company and can be compelled by secret order to cooperate

but when jim from the office and detective moreland breathlessly shout about a ticking clock terror plot the guy on the other end of the phone from huawei will say "嗯...太可惜了" before the camera whip pans to reveal the huawei customer support office is actually in a dingy warehouse filled with chinese terrorists packing machineguns into wood crates stamped with "B A B Y T O Y B E S T N U M B E R O N E S H I P T O U.S.A."

i feel like you're getting a little off brand here.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a few months ago i was on a high alpine pasture where vehicles were prohibited as indicated by several signs on the road up. just minutes after a local told us stories about idiot tourists blindly following their gps and getting stuck up there we saw a car coming across the field, seemingly lost. when we spoke to the driver of the car he turned out to be the head marketing representative for huawai in that area

that's my huawai story

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hypothetically, wouldn't you turn around when you ran out of road?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

huawei takes the road less traveled by, and it makes all the difference

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

also, phones are computers. ios and anroid now both have official file browser apps. dehumanize yourself and face to /

i will face / and walk backwards into hell

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

isn't that stuff dead?

that which is a weird linux distro can never die

Furia posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, you can run a beardo os on your four year old cell phone.

as a hobby project, i guess you could do worse. but assuming you own a telephone for some other reason, like using it as a phone, it doesn't seem like a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one point for huawei: i use a b525 4g router as my primary internet access, and that thing is actually great

low on features, but very fast, works great, gets excellent signal. probably the first time ive *liked* a router