Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

lol whoops. edited

edit: I actually delay my wildfires during Suzaku because it's too hard for me to focus on running around during the colors while doing the wildfire rotation. Clearly that's what I meant (it wasn't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm insane and play MCH at 250ms ping. Did you know that at very high pings flamethrower sometimes only ticks for 5 heat if you move or press another button too quickly, leaving you at 95 heat?

:shepicide:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My new favorite "wait what the gently caress why" moment in learning dps openers is SAM using meditate between GCDs for 10 free kenki. This should not work like this, what the hell.

You have to get slightly lucky with server ticks I think, so it’s teally just kind of Bonus If It Happens

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

My new favorite "wait what the gently caress why" moment in learning dps openers is SAM using meditate between GCDs for 10 free kenki. This should not work like this, what the hell.

This is so silly and also why I don't do Savage content with Serious People. The primary purpose of SAM is to satisfy the lizard brain with maximum Midares, throwing in the occasional AoE pack for variety.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alakaiser posted:

lol whoops. edited

edit: I actually delay my wildfires during Suzaku because it's too hard for me to focus on running around during the colors while doing the wildfire rotation. Clearly that's what I meant (it wasn't)

Regardless, it might not even be that bad a levelling experience if Flamethrower were available during the 40-50 drought, at least letting you control when you DO go into overheat.

Alas, the particulars of MMO levelling necessitated a capstone skill, and so the thing with a ten second channel that you want to channel for as long as possible because it looks TOTALLY loving METAL is something you can only use for a maximum of FIVE because at which point you will have gone into Overheat from an empty gauge. And in practical usage, one usually only ever hold for A SINGLE second.

But no, MCH needed an awesome-looking capskill. So enjoy having to relearn how to do Wildfires several times during levelling!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I beat the guy who drops the Hancock triple triad card 103 times last night before getting frustrated. Today I tried switching to the NPC who drops Sadu and got to 87 wins before deciding to take a break and spend some of the MGP I accrued. I bought 99 Gold packs and got neither of the cards I needed from it. I don't know who the drop rate on these things is supposed to entertain and delight. It's not like I get anything from having more triple triad cards. I might just have brain goblins but still, I would love a reworking of TT in some future patch, because this is an awful lot of extra hassle for bad cards I won't ever use.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Big Machinist Fan here. Fun simple job with cool gear and animations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I love Machinist, the look at least, but playing it is pretty terrible. But I bring it to Frontline Roulette because I don't have to worry about my RNG rotation there.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I mean, Machinist is technically not the worst job, because Fisher also exists.

If you ever feel bad Fisher gets its first button at like 54 or something.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 29, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

isk posted:

This is so silly and also why I don't do Savage content with Serious People. The primary purpose of SAM is to satisfy the lizard brain with maximum Midares, throwing in the occasional AoE pack for variety.

I do savage raiding as a Samurai and I don't bother with the oGCD Meditating. It's a very negligible gain. I save Meditate for when there's an extensive break in the fight, or when I don't feel like trying to risk screwing up a mechanic for a little bit extra uptime.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is it worthwhile to spend Genesis on chest armor, or should I spend it on RHS stuff like a ring first? This is the first time I’ve been current with content.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Is it worthwhile to spend Genesis on chest armor, or should I spend it on RHS stuff like a ring first? This is the first time I’ve been current with content.

The short and likely answer is chest or pants first.

In more detail, it depends on the secondary stats for your class (along with the stats on your class's Scaevan chest) and how important those are to you. If you do Savage raids or there are personally important factors (like Skill Speed for WAR), go ahead and do the math.

Personally I'm in the camp of Glamour Is Forever but YMMV

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

brainwrinkle posted:

Chest/Pants are the most important thing.

But also if your accessories are way lower and you just wanna meet an ilvl requirement for something non-Savage and you're almost there, maybe buy a righthand, but don't tell anyone I told you that

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bought a ring this week so I could do alphascape normal and regret nothing.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It'll take you 4 weeks minimum to get the chest from Alphascape, so it's generally a good idea to just grab the tome chest ASAP and get your legs from two weeks of Alpha.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the ogcd meditate thing sounds cool, it's cool that there's still little tricks to learn to get a little bit more when you want to flex your shounen spirit and Go Beyond

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Here's my effort post

Don't play machinist

it's too late i'm in too deep, it's my only 50+ dps class

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kaubocks posted:

it's too late i'm in too deep, it's my only 50+ dps class

Have you considered two of the classes literally start at 50 though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Archyduke posted:

I beat the guy who drops the Hancock triple triad card 103 times last night before getting frustrated. Today I tried switching to the NPC who drops Sadu and got to 87 wins before deciding to take a break and spend some of the MGP I accrued. I bought 99 Gold packs and got neither of the cards I needed from it. I don't know who the drop rate on these things is supposed to entertain and delight. It's not like I get anything from having more triple triad cards. I might just have brain goblins but still, I would love a reworking of TT in some future patch, because this is an awful lot of extra hassle for bad cards I won't ever use.

Instead of doing a hundred games in a row you're probably better off just doing 5-10 here and there, they'll pop up eventually and with much less frustration.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone else who uses a G13 keypad, do you have to always unplug and replug it back in, otherwise the joy stick acts like you're barely pushing it?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Have you considered two of the classes literally start at 50 though.

well you see i don't feel like they fit my character, and--

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Server ticks are loving awful and apparently so baked in to the game that they had to brute force the recent ground AoE changes by just giving them a free extra tick at the start. As a result you can just pulse Collective Unconscious or Passage of Arms and they will last 4-5 seconds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Ninja's jutsu stuff serves as a way to reduce total buttons. I'm kinda considering getting my Ninja leveled up enough to do the rest of Stormblood with it (it's 53 now, so wouldn't take too long), since I'm a little lukewarm about Samurai. I recently got this skill that spends 25 kenki to do a 300 potency attack, which seems like a way to just drain off kenki, and I'm not sure if it's better than doing that Enpi combo (where you dash back, do the ranged attack, and dash back in). The latter gives you a lot more potency for the kenki cost, but it also takes more time (as opposed to the instant OGC cast on the former).

I'm pretty sure I'll never be genuinely good at this game (though I can at least do normal content fine); I just don't have a brain that can manage both the rotations and watching for mechanics and stuff (doing the latter results in the former being sort of "unsteady" and me making random mistakes at a rate that never really decreases with experience). It always amazes me when people somehow manage to do their role and pay attention to what other players are doing. Like, how the gently caress do you even do that? It's hard enough to just make sure I'm executing my rotation algorithm semi-properly while dodging all the AoEs/doing mechanics; I can't imagine doing all that and also noticing that some other random player is doing their rotation incorrectly. I've been playing MMOs of various kinds since the WoW beta (if you don't include the brief time I played FF11 when it was released), so I'm pretty sure there's just a certain type of intelligence you have to have to be able to multitask like that, and I don't have it.

(This doesn't really bother me or anything; I just find it genuinely interesting that other people are somehow capable of doing this.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The 25 kenki skill is pretty much just a dump, lower priority than your other skills that use it. But I don't think you should dash out/in due to the time commitement.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

Like, how the gently caress do you even do that?

Muscle memory and practice. Learning fights is also a two step process. First you learn the mechanics, how to dodge them and all that, then you work on optimization once you have those down. Basically you learn how to survive first and do good damage second.

Edit: Also a good glamour. That always helps.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 29, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Leal posted:

Anyone else who uses a G13 keypad, do you have to always unplug and replug it back in, otherwise the joy stick acts like you're barely pushing it?

I haven't had any issues with mine, other than having to disable the game controlling illumination after every computer restart. Sucks if yours is dying, since they don't make them anymore. Going to have to go with Razer when mine does. I don't have it enabled as a gamepad though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brainamp posted:

Muscle memory and practice. Learning fights is also a two step process. First you learn the mechanics, how to dodge them and all that, then you work on optimization once you have those down. Basically you learn how to survive first and do good damage second.

yeah it's like when people are really amazed at someone's ability in a fighting game to do any given combo on demand. that player almost certainly drilled that combo in training mode (and in matches) for many, many hours that you never saw, possibly even setting up training dummies to do certain stuff so they can practice it in different situations. the less brain power you need to set aside for the rote mechanical stuff the more you can focus on doing things that require active engagement. and of course there's times where you are making active decisions about the easier stuff but ideally it's not super often.

it's half the reason i only really play 1-2 jobs at a time (and never change characters in fighting games), my hands feel super gross when I go to hit a button and it's the wrong one, or my character doesn't move or respond in the way i was expecting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Brainamp posted:

This rules. What are the boots?

Brainamp posted:

Sigmascape scouting boots.

Thanks!

isk fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 30, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

isk posted:

This rules. What are the boots?

Sigmascape scouting boots.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Having not played in a while, what's the easiest way to go about getting a weapon above ilvl 330 for a casual scum these days?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You should never Yaten (or Gyoten for that matter) unless it means getting in an extra GCD. You should never Enpi unless you aren't in the middle of a combo and you can't get back in for a normal GCD. The badness of Enpi is it isn't building Sen

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like how Ninja's jutsu stuff serves as a way to reduce total buttons. I'm kinda considering getting my Ninja leveled up enough to do the rest of Stormblood with it (it's 53 now, so wouldn't take too long), since I'm a little lukewarm about Samurai. I recently got this skill that spends 25 kenki to do a 300 potency attack, which seems like a way to just drain off kenki, and I'm not sure if it's better than doing that Enpi combo (where you dash back, do the ranged attack, and dash back in). The latter gives you a lot more potency for the kenki cost, but it also takes more time (as opposed to the instant OGC cast on the former).

I'm pretty sure I'll never be genuinely good at this game (though I can at least do normal content fine); I just don't have a brain that can manage both the rotations and watching for mechanics and stuff (doing the latter results in the former being sort of "unsteady" and me making random mistakes at a rate that never really decreases with experience). It always amazes me when people somehow manage to do their role and pay attention to what other players are doing. Like, how the gently caress do you even do that? It's hard enough to just make sure I'm executing my rotation algorithm semi-properly while dodging all the AoEs/doing mechanics; I can't imagine doing all that and also noticing that some other random player is doing their rotation incorrectly. I've been playing MMOs of various kinds since the WoW beta (if you don't include the brief time I played FF11 when it was released), so I'm pretty sure there's just a certain type of intelligence you have to have to be able to multitask like that, and I don't have it.

(This doesn't really bother me or anything; I just find it genuinely interesting that other people are somehow capable of doing this.)

You just do your rotation until it's ground into your muscle memory harder than concrete. I can do my wildfire combo whilst running around Suzaku for the merry-go-round.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XGmV6QTnpsxfJ9RImfjhusm2frqpCfPL8HJ2tUTgH1o/edit This SAM guide has all the kenki maths. Basically, the damage is better used on Shinten if you don't have Guren or something Kaiten-able up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Having not played in a while, what's the easiest way to go about getting a weapon above ilvl 330 for a casual scum these days?
Mendacity weapons are i360 and sigma crystalloids are uncapped now, so just do some Omega

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Countblanc posted:

yeah it's like when people are really amazed at someone's ability in a fighting game to do any given combo on demand. that player almost certainly drilled that combo in training mode (and in matches) for many, many hours that you never saw, possibly even setting up training dummies to do certain stuff so they can practice it in different situations. the less brain power you need to set aside for the rote mechanical stuff the more you can focus on doing things that require active engagement. and of course there's times where you are making active decisions about the easier stuff but ideally it's not super often.

it's half the reason i only really play 1-2 jobs at a time (and never change characters in fighting games), my hands feel super gross when I go to hit a button and it's the wrong one, or my character doesn't move or respond in the way i was expecting.

The main difference with FFXIV is that many moves also have positional or proc-based requirements that mean you can't just turn your brain off and do stuff by muscle-memory. You have to constantly check whether various things are active and mentally do an algorithm to select what the optimal thing is at that time. I used to play a DPS monk during Mists of Pandaria in WoW, and I actually got near the top of DPS lists in that because you really could rely almost entirely on muscle memory, but in this there's too many things that require active consideration.

I mean, I still probably do okay compared with a bunch of other random players (I haven't actually used that DPS checker program or whatever), but I constantly do sub-optimal things just because it requires 100% of my attention to keep track of all my DoTs/buffs/class gauge/etc.

(So I guess now that I think about it the issue isn't so much the rotation itself, but that the optimal rotation is dependent upon actively keeping track of a bunch of different things constantly.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks to the brave goons who just helped me clear Suzaku EX for the first time! Miraculously, we did it on our last pull before we ran out of time.

Sorry I fell in the hole.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this is unacceptable

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Phone posted:

this is unacceptable

Welcome to Wondrous Tails. Remember that Khloe hates your guts and actively wants you to fail.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I haven't had any issues with mine, other than having to disable the game controlling illumination after every computer restart. Sucks if yours is dying, since they don't make them anymore. Going to have to go with Razer when mine does. I don't have it enabled as a gamepad though.

Go into the following folder C:\Users\<Username>\appdata\Local\ and make Logitech folder not read only, this will allow the Logitech program to actually save the program settings (like app controlled lighting) between restarts.

I tried to turn on the joystick as an actual joystick since my G13 supposedly supports it and is new enough that it's a joystick instead of an 8 way hat under a thumbstick, but it doesn't register properly in FFXIV, so it's just gonna have to remain an 8 way hat. Still way more agile than WASD for movement.

Razer is also an awful dogshit company who demand that you install their stupid cloud save bullshit to use their hardware and if your internet flakes out your gameboard stops working along with your macro buttons on any other piece of Razer kit.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
With regards to Wondrous Tails, I got the three-line prize exactly once, and that was three months ago.

Here's what Khloe says if you manage it, by the way.