Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Trabisnikof posted:

More housing isn't always better if that housing is going to sit on unmediated land contaminated with hazardous waste.

Once again my dirigible housing plan neatly solves all problems while creating none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What if we build a ton of poo poo and keep it rent controlled until we don't need to anymore?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I mean if you're talking about public housing that's kind of de facto rent controlled isn't it? Like, the government sets the policy there and how much rent people pay, and it's heavily subsidized for the poor?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cicero posted:

I mean if you're talking about public housing that's kind of de facto rent controlled isn't it? Like, the government sets the policy there and how much rent people pay, and it's heavily subsidized for the poor?

Government housing and also private housing and rent control all of it until we have vast seas of 9 story residential towers like Tokyo that are affordable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The state should build housing, pay to maintain that housing, and offer it to low income earners at far below rent-burdened rate. They should also build it in nice areas right next to luxury apartments filled with rich people.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just got my sample ballot and neither the GOP challenger to my House rep nor my incumbent GOP Assemblyperson submitted a statement. Interesting strategy.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Once again my dirigible housing plan neatly solves all problems while creating none.

Honestly this is the logical evolution of tech buses.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

They should also build it in nice areas right next to luxury apartments filled with rich people.
I can't tell if you mean this in a punitive way, but it is actually good policy. Even better if it is the same complex. I just have no idea what the ideal ratio is though.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

oh i thought you were still talking about the necessary new construction that you had just mentioned in the previous post

all other things being equal a unit with a tenant is less liquid which makes it fetch a lower price if youre selling it right now

So add a vacancy tax too.

That would help with both the international super-rich using real estate a safe wealth hideaway (this really just applies to luxury units, but there are indirect effects on non-luxury housing stock by halting this practice) and the problem that you illustrated above.

poo poo, getting landlords into competition for tenants would completely change the game.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

predicto posted:

that's a separate gently caress-up

San Francisco still would be served far better with massive skyscrapers of housing down every block of Market Street, Van Ness Street, Mission Street, Geary Street, etc.

San Francisco would be hosed even harder by traffic if this were true.

there's plenty of suburban territory around SF that is easier to develop and plan on but consistently refuses to build densely. SF liberals just always catch the most poo poo because there's more visible hypocrisy

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

LinYutang posted:

San Francisco would be hosed even harder by traffic if this were true.

there's plenty of suburban territory around SF that is easier to develop and plan on but consistently refuses to build densely. SF liberals just always catch the most poo poo because there's more visible hypocrisy

While we're learning from other countries and building more densely, we can also learn from them about not insisting on driving everywhere all the time.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Are you all forgetting that SF helped defund all efforts to make 101 a 2 lane for the longest time to stop people from leaving sf?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If we’re fantasizing about allowing high density housing we might as well fantasize about sane transport infrastructure, too.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

If we’re fantasizing about allowing high density housing we might as well fantasize about sane transport infrastructure, too.

Hey, what if we put a tax on gasoline and use it to.....

[/fullcircle]

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Are you all forgetting that SF helped defund all efforts to make 101 a 2 lane for the longest time to stop people from leaving sf?

Wait, what?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jaxyon posted:

Government housing and also private housing and rent control all of it until we have vast seas of 9 story residential towers like Tokyo that are affordable.

No developer is going to build a bunch of housing if it’s all immediately forced below the market rate by rent control. This isn’t to say that we shouldn’t build a bunch of public housing or that rent control is bad, just that “new private housing and rent control all of it” specifically is not a thing that can happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CopperHound posted:

I can't tell if you mean this in a punitive way, but it is actually good policy. Even better if it is the same complex. I just have no idea what the ideal ratio is though.

Not punitive at all, when you build a bunch of public housing in a lovely area where economic demographics already skew heavily towards the poor, you get the Chicago Projects.

Not to mention that stereotypes of other socioeconomic situations beyond your own are much harder to justify when you actually live around and have to interact with them on a daily basis. You always have to deal with the specter of another round of white flight obviously, but the country as a whole could really do with more mixed demographics living in close proximity.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I'm super happy about the proposition name. The title alone is going to get a lot of no votes.

:agreed: that super loving owns. i wonder who came up with the name and does that because nice power play.

if it was just "REPEAL EVIL GAS TAX" it would pass in a heartbeat. actually has a chance at failing now tho which is lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I really hope Prop 10 passes as well. Costa Hawkins loving sucks. Unfortunately I dont think its odds are good

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Rent control and massive building/densification would be fine, I just don't see how you can get them together.

Take San Francisco for example

The western half of the city is all 1 story single family home over garages (pic is a random spot in street view) like these

To improve housing supply, things like this need to be replaced by apartments. Currently those areas are zoned for single unit per lot, not to exceed 40'

All of the light yellow is one unit per lot.
Map

When people try to get zoning changed, there's lots of opposition from the people who live there already because they don't want the places they live to change and they're insulated from the housing market as long as they don't move, so they aren't forced to care.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Fill the Bay below the San Mateo Bridge 2024!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do it under the Dumbarton bridge, it's shallower. Get Facebook to pay for it!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Foxfire_ posted:

To improve housing supply, things like this need to be replaced by apartments.

The fundamental poison laced into the reasonable need is the supposition that people should rent from a landlord class forever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FRINGE posted:

The fundamental poison laced into the reasonable need is the supposition that people should rent from a landlord class forever.

Ok, affordably priced condos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Foxfire_ posted:

Rent control and massive building/densification would be fine, I just don't see how you can get them together.

Its “easy”.

Just pass state law that bans munis and counties from passing height limits, occupancy maximum on dwellings, parking requirements, shadows, and eir exemptions for big housing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

Its “easy”.

Just pass state law that bans munis and counties from passing height limits, occupancy maximum on dwellings, parking requirements, shadows, and eir exemptions for big housing

Giving EIR exemptions to big housing plans will end up with more housing on dangerously polluted land like Hunters Point and not less.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Foxfire_ posted:

Take San Francisco for example

The western half of the city is all 1 story single family home over garages (pic is a random spot in street view) like these

To improve housing supply, things like this need to be replaced by apartments. Currently those areas are zoned for single unit per lot, not to exceed 40'

All of the light yellow is one unit per lot.
Map

When people try to get zoning changed, there's lots of opposition from the people who live there already because they don't want the places they live to change and they're insulated from the housing market as long as they don't move, so they aren't forced to care.

I can't read the key because it's too small, but how much of the single unit yellow is there, and how much is the barely detectable difference to yellow-orange? I don't doubt you but I drive through those Western hoods a few times a week and they feel a lot denser than one unit per each of those squares. Like the pic you linked has a few buildings that I would have figured were 4 apartments. I'm not saying I doubt it but 1 yellow square = 1 single family structure feels super low to me even for those outer neighbohoods.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The map link goes to the full size pdf. The yellow tones range from 1-3 units per lot

It's not one unit per numbered rectangle on the map, it's one unit per lot (unit of land that can be bought or sold) for the lots in that rectangle. Each rectangles is a block that is zoned as a unit. Everything in that picture up to the next crossstreet is one rectangle on the zoning map.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Oh I see ok, I was thinking of the word unit in the wrong way AND i missed the link to fullsize... really interesting to see it up close. I wish the people there were more open to higher density structures going in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just to be clear: most of those squares are entire city blocks, not individual properties. And zoning often means "what can be built" not "what is already there", which will include lots of grandfathered properties.

And, a significant number of those houses out in the richmond and sunset have illegal inlaws, so are effectively 2 units, even though they're officially 1.

e. posted too slow, I think you got it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

Giving EIR exemptions to big housing plans will end up with more housing on dangerously polluted land like Hunters Point and not less.
I forgot the word "certain" mostly in reference the "human culture impacts" which translates to bullshit over "traffic in my neighborhood" or "shadows over my porch / muh views".

eirs don't address the environment's damage to the project (i.e. existing contamination making occupants-of-new-building sick, but would care if the building introduced new contamination) .it's rather the project's impact to the "environment" which encompasses everything from evaluating damage to endangered plants/species (good) to how more people living there would make traffic so much worse that would make their neighborhood polluted therefore.../neighbors views / wind / shadows (bad)

san francisco already requires soil and groundwater sampling for all work unless specifically exempted (article 22a)) and those are pretty simple. every project ive worked on has had some form of environmental site classification and phase 1 environmental site assessments as no one wants to have contractor bring change orders for finding it out during construction, private nor public.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Don't really see much of a problem with SF's height limit law. Paris is one of the densest cities in the world and isn't made up of skyscraper housing units.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Don't need skyscrapers, just 5-6 story buildings replacing 1-2 story ones.

Paris's height limit was 120ft in the 70's, recently raised to 590ft. SF is mostly 40ft

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

Don't need skyscrapers, just 5-6 story buildings replacing 1-2 story ones.

Paris's height limit was 120ft in the 70's, recently raised to 590ft. SF is mostly 40ft

yeah paris is way denser than SF, but you're not making the best comparison there. I found what i assume is the same source you did for paris height limits, and that 590' height limit is just for the 13th arrondissement (and 590' is just for office buildings, it's 150' for residential), not the entire city. Just like SF has certain areas that are denser, and that 40' height limit you mentioned doesn't cover the entire city (though yeah, it does cover too much). The north eastern quarter of SF is packed full of midrises and highrises lol...of course if it weren't for decades of NIMBYism there would be a ton more of them all over the city, and housing would be cheaper.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LinYutang posted:

Don't really see much of a problem with SF's height limit law. Paris is one of the densest cities in the world and isn't made up of skyscraper housing units.
NYC and Tokyo have only a small percentage of housing units in skyscrapers too. Is there even a place where most housing is in skyscrapers? Hong Kong, maybe?

The best use for skyscrapers as far as housing goes is to allow them near major transit stops, like light rail/subway stations. That poo poo is expensive, so you want as many people within a walkable distance as possible to make good use of the investment.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 30, 2018

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Xaris posted:

Its “easy”.

No, just set a tax of 85% on all non-owner-occupied properties and watch things adjust.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I have been reading more on Prop 10 this afternoon, and my understanding is that everyone seems to agree that there are both significant disadvantages and advantages to rent controls spread out among different segments of the population. Rather or not people think that the trade off is worthwhile is much more debatable, and I find it worrying that the defenders of rent control are oftentimes left in the position of arguing “well yeah, this isn’t great policy on its own, but if paired with x, y, and z...”. I am specifically talking about the 2017 Stanford study and the responses from tenant advocates.

Why can’t we just have an upzoning and public construction of affordable housing proposition instead? I want to help the poor, but I have 0 interest in encouraging nimbyism or simply picking winners within the rental market (it will disproportionately benefit older residents since younger renters are much more mobile) if we enable rent control ordinances without adequately planning for the adverse consequences that inevitably follow.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FRINGE posted:

No, just set a tax of 85% on all non-owner-occupied properties and watch things adjust.

Wouldn't this just encourage a small number of companies to buy up all the rental housing stock since they'd be wealthy enough to eat the cost? How does it benefit renters if landlords are going to pass the expense off on tenants either way?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snipee posted:

I have been reading more on Prop 10 this afternoon, and my understanding is that everyone seems to agree that there are both significant disadvantages and advantages to rent controls spread out among different segments of the population. Rather or not people think that the trade off is worthwhile is much more debatable, and I find it worrying that the defenders of rent control are oftentimes left in the position of arguing “well yeah, this isn’t great policy on its own, but if paired with x, y, and z...”. I am specifically talking about the 2017 Stanford study and the responses from tenant advocates.

Why can’t we just have an upzoning and public construction of affordable housing proposition instead? I want to help the poor, but I have 0 interest in encouraging nimbyism or simply picking winners within the rental market (it will disproportionately benefit older residents since younger renters are much more mobile) if we enable rent control ordinances without adequately planning for the adverse consequences that inevitably follow.

This accepts the framing that economics is rational and we just need to find the right policy to make everyone happy. poo poo’s bad and getting worse, at least with rent control there’s something to fight back with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Governor Brown signed SB 822 into law today.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-net-neutrality-california-signed-governor-jerry-brown-20180930-story.html