Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

klapman posted:

Is the dub for this one any good? Really in the mood for vampires right now
the English voice track is literally the original one for the movie

when I read the novels I can only hear Left Hand with Mike McShane's voice lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Everything Burrito posted:

the English voice track is literally the original one for the movie

when I read the novels I can only hear Left Hand with Mike McShane's voice lol

Now I'm double psyched. From what I've heard I doubt it's exactly the same tone as Hellsing but for some reason english anime vampires just kick rear end to me

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ghost Stories

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

klapman posted:

Now I'm double psyched. From what I've heard I doubt it's exactly the same tone as Hellsing but for some reason english anime vampires just kick rear end to me

it's got more in common with Hellsing than you'd think, Alucard probably wouldn't exist without D.

it's definitely more... operatic, for lack of a better way of putting it, and doesn't have the Hong Kong heroic bloodshed influence that Hellsing does, but otherwise they're in a pretty similar vein

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

What are some good horror/spooky anime to watch this Halloween season?

Mononoke isn't a traditional horror series but I love it a lot, it's about a guy going through historical Japan and solving ghost problems by interrogating them it rules.

The GeGeGe no Kitaro series from 2008 isn't streaming anywhere but if you can grab it it's really spooky fun. There's also a new kids Kitaro series streaming rn that's worth a look too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiki is an absolutely fantastic horror anime for reasons that end up being completely different from what you expect them to be going in, definitely watch it.

Higurashi is very good if you haven't seen that

Gankutsuo is... sort of spooky, I guess?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Manga or anime that treats alcoholism as a main plot point or at least as a prominent subplot?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
There's anime that have booze in them, but none come to mind that deal heavily with alcoholism itself. Grand Blue is technically a good choice, but judging by your use of alcoholism instead of drinking, probably give that one a miss cause it's a comedy. Death Parade had me getting pretty emotional when I was watching it, and it does have an atmosphere kinda like hanging around a lonely bar till closing time, so that might be something you'd be into.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's got more in common with Hellsing than you'd think, Alucard probably wouldn't exist without D.

it's definitely more... operatic, for lack of a better way of putting it, and doesn't have the Hong Kong heroic bloodshed influence that Hellsing does, but otherwise they're in a pretty similar vein

Ended up falling out of it about halfway through, unfortunately... The visuals were cool, but the story didn't quite grab me. Started watching Wolf Children on a whim after that and liked it a whole lot though, so maybe I just misjudged what mood I was in lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

Manga or anime that treats alcoholism as a main plot point or at least as a prominent subplot?

Kobayashi?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Baloogan posted:

Kobayashi?

:thunk:

Coaaab posted:

The closest thing I can really think of is in Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu (Haré+Guu), where the main character Haré's Mother is an alcoholic. The show doesn't dive too much into addressing it as a problem, though it is a significant part of her characterization, is a vehicle for comedic moments by being a motivating factor, and potentially informs/implies things that fill in the gaps for her backstory/history.

With that said though, it does at least play a bit more of a significant role in Halé + Guu Deluxe (essentially the second season, in OVA format), where she gets pregnant with a second child, and so multiple times characters have to hide alcohol/prevent her from drinking. This leads to one episode where, after the kids raid the house for alcohol, Haré gets tricked into drinking by Guu and it basically becomes an Anti-underage drinking PSA

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Misato is 100% an alcoholic in Evangelion and her dysfunction is a major subplot, but it's just one part of a larger tapestry of "broken human being."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know what the bojack horseman of anime is

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjewtsu posted:

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
i think it's actually Welcome to the NHK?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girlish number has a bit of it too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a computing pun posted:

i think it's actually Welcome to the NHK?

This came to mind, even though the two shows are going for two completely different things. I'd also say NHK is more optimistic about changing things for the better than Bojack.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
LOGH has a few alcoholic characters

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Onani Master Kurosawa sort of comes to mind, though that might be a bit too positive for a full BoJack comparison.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Julias posted:

This came to mind, even though the two shows are going for two completely different things. I'd also say NHK is more optimistic about changing things for the better than Bojack.

Yeah, I'd say maybe NHK until after the offline meeting arc, cause up till then it's pretty drat bleak

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Onani Master Kurosawa sort of comes to mind, though that might be a bit too positive for a full BoJack comparison.
This, Welcome to the NHK, Scum's Wish and sorta Flowers of Evil are in that similar "people screw their lives up and sorta have to deal with it in a (somewhat) realistic way" vibe.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

If you're looking for terrible people being terrible to each other for laughs, it's actually Konosuba.

If you're looking for terrible people making bad decisions because of crippling anxiety/social issues, it's Welcome to NHK.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there no anime that combines both

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

watamote was the first thing to come to mind but i never got past the first episode because i feel too bad for the girl

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I actually appreciate how rarely anime seems to combine the two; the fact that it's such a prevalent theme in American comedy really doesn't speak well of us.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there no anime that combines both

milky holmes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

watamote was the first thing to come to mind but i never got past the first episode because i feel too bad for the girl
It apparently starts off the former but gradually works into the latter much later in the manga. I fell off following it somewhere around the rivalry with the library girl. I should probably pick it back up if it continued to be good past then.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
hey, i'm looking for some anime to watch lately. here's some pointers to what i like:

• genres: paranormal, supernatural, shounen, seinen, fantasy, sci fi, comedy, mystery,sometimes mixes between comedy and drama.
  • what i like: dynamic characters, engaging settings and plots, decent length (3-25 eps max), fanservice that doesn't ruin the plot (i'm a pervert okay).
  • what i don't like: romantic subplots that overtake the plot, a few anime cliches that tick me off, lolis and shota, overly cute tone and mood (i'm sorry i'm just not into it.), freaking moe.
  • additional notes: i like underrated anime a lot, so no mainstream stuff should be recommended to me. a dub is optional but a must. i tend to lean towards art styles that look distinct. i'm a sucker for semi realistic art styles though more stylized fare is fine. settings can take place in japan but i like it to take place elsewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fruity20 posted:

hey, i'm looking for some anime to watch lately. here's some pointers to what i like:

• genres: paranormal, supernatural, shounen, seinen, fantasy, sci fi, comedy, mystery,sometimes mixes between comedy and drama.
  • what i like: dynamic characters, engaging settings and plots, decent length (3-25 eps max), fanservice that doesn't ruin the plot (i'm a pervert okay).
  • what i don't like: romantic subplots that overtake the plot, a few anime cliches that tick me off, lolis and shota, overly cute tone and mood (i'm sorry i'm just not into it.), freaking moe.
  • additional notes: i like underrated anime a lot, so no mainstream stuff should be recommended to me. a dub is optional but a must. i tend to lean towards art styles that look distinct. i'm a sucker for semi realistic art styles though more stylized fare is fine. settings can take place in japan but i like it to take place elsewhere.

Occultic;Nine
should fit most of those categories.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fruity20 posted:

Ghost Hound!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fruity20 posted:

Monogatari fill in a lot of those if you haven't seen it yet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808

content
Feb 13, 2014

Lookin' for more cute feel-good girly anime.

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Preferably not super fan servicey.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

content posted:

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

yama no susume

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

content posted:

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

yama no susume
hugtto precure (or any precure really)
watch all 100 episodes of aikatsu stars, motherfucker
little witch academia

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

content posted:

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Azumanga Daioh
Kamichu
Lucky Star
Is the Order a Rabbit?

There's a lot of these shows, and most of them are really good.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Awesome! Thanks everyone!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

content posted:

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

These are all somewhat recent shows:

A Place Further Than The Universe is more of a dramedy then a pure moe comedy, but it's also extremely cute and feel good. It's so, so, good. You will fall in love with the characters.

Princess Principal is a fun (and weird) mix of darj spy thriller and feel-good moe, heavier on the spy thriller. By the studio behind flip-flappers.

If you want it as fluffy and lightweight as possible,, How To Keep A Mummy is a good one, though unusually for this genre it's cast is mostly boys (and cute pets)

Demi-Chan is a very cute and heartwarming show about adorable monster girls that's basically a lightweight metaphor for disability. It's a personal favorite.

Hugtto Precure is a great kid's show.

Anime-Gataris is an extemely meta "school club" comedy.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Eela6 posted:

These are all somewhat recent shows:

A Place Further Than The Universe is more of a dramedy then a pure moe comedy, but it's also extremely cute and feel good. It's so, so, good. You will fall in love with the characters.

Princess Principal is a fun (and weird) mix of darj spy thriller and feel-good moe, heavier on the spy thriller. By the studio behind flip-flappers.

If you want it as fluffy and lightweight as possible,, How To Keep A Mummy is a good one, though unusually for this genre it's cast is mostly boys (and cute pets)

Demi-Chan is a very cute and heartwarming show about adorable monster girls that's basically a lightweight metaphor for disability. It's a personal favorite.

Hugtto Precure is a great kid's show.

Anime-Gataris is an extemely meta "school club" comedy.

Hell yeah. These sound great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

content posted:

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

polar bear cafe, though it's mostly anime animals rather than anime girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

content posted:

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Laid Back Camp is a show about a group of girls enjoying camping in the wintertime. It turns out that it's fun to camp by yourself, but it's also fun to camp as a group sometimes too.

Girls und Panzer is a show about a bunch of high school girls who have to put together a tank combat team to compete in high school girls tank combat to save their school. It's got some intense tank action scenes, but also plenty of girls discovering friendship and tanks.