Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

He wasn't a grunge rocker he was a cult leader with a gang of heroin addicts who liked dinosaur jr

So...a grunge rocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It is crazy to think that WCW did beat WWE for a hot second. Though I cannot remember if that was before or after they acquired Hogan and the rest?

I got suckered into WWE during that era like a lot of people, even braving one of the grosses bars I've ever been to watch PPV events. WCW though, it always seemed like 40% wrestling and 60% skits and other bad comedy stuff.

The gross bar seemed to begrudgingly giving up space that it could use for more video lottery terminals. imaging a bunch of nerdy college students in the middle of cigarettey old men dumping tons of money into poker machines while coughing up black tar.

Unrelated, I finally found a video that I've been searching for at least 20 years, and it would have helped that I knew that it was another song from Doop, and that it wasn't called Love Will Find you, it was called Ridin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmDJ699vIQ
It's so weird that people who make ads are still trying to make the old timey music but with techno beats happen. There's a super annoying Hendrick's Gin ad that play before a lot of Youtube videos that makes me want to shoot someone.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

twistedmentat posted:

There's a super annoying Hendrick's Gin ad that play before a lot of Youtube videos that makes me want to shoot someone.
That's every Hendricks ad. The first time you see them they're cute and quirky but by the third time you want to hurt yourself just to make it all end already.

Fe: poo poo this isn't the annoying ads thread is it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It is crazy to think that WCW did beat WWE for a hot second. Though I cannot remember if that was before or after they acquired Hogan and the rest?

It was almost entirely down to the nWo storyline.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

twistedmentat posted:

I got suckered into WWE during that era like a lot of people, even braving one of the grosses bars I've ever been to watch PPV events. WCW though, it always seemed like 40% wrestling and 60% skits and other bad comedy stuff.

WCW had always more wrestling than WWF and while having its own problems, was somehow less racist and sexist than WWF

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was almost entirely down to the nWo storyline.

NWO was super hot but also killed WCW rip

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Smoking Crow posted:

NWO was super hot but also killed WCW rip

Yeah, it made them huge but they drove it into the ground so hard that it took the company with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never liked WCW including the nwo stuff because it was so redneck. I always preferred the wacky WWF and their Corporation and Degeneration X. WWF had dudes named Mr rear end and they had a legit sumo wrestler on the roster at one point. That rules.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DX cut a promo in blackface and raped a woman in the back of their bus in storyline

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
There's also WWE storyline where the arsonist brother of an undead undertaker hosed the corpse of his dead girlfriend. It's not 90's (2002 I think) but close enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag posted:

There's also WWE storyline where the arsonist brother of an undead undertaker hosed the corpse of his dead girlfriend. It's not 90's (2002 I think) but close enough.

I think it was Triple H pretending to be Kane when he hosed the corpse of Kane's dead girlfriend. He climbs out of the coffin holding a handful of spaghetti or something and exclaims, "I finally did it! I hosed your brains out!"

One of the most tasteless things WWE has done is when they set up a bed in the middle of the ring and got Edge and Lita to pretend to have sex in it in front of the live audience, but it's worth it to hear Jerry Lawler (?) yelling, "SOMEONE GET ME A KLEENEX!" just as it starts.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the most tasteless things WWE has done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FqQTcnyH2E

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cletus Andronicus

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I fell of wrestling hard after a lot of those storylines. I'm not sure what kind of person they think their audience was, but that drove me away. Though based on the people that were in that bar we'd watch PPV events in, I know what kind.

Ugh, I cannot stand wrestling now, and way too many podcasters and youtubers I follow will go off on wrestling tangents and unless they're talking about wrestling games, I don't want to hear about it. Which reminds me, WCW vs NWO Revenge is 20 years old this week.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

wwe is written for vince mcmahon

case in point: a week after he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a tanning salon, there was a storyline on raw about a woman wrongfully accusing a wrestler of sexual assault

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I never liked WCW including the nwo stuff because it was so redneck. I always preferred the wacky WWF and their Corporation and Degeneration X. WWF had dudes named Mr rear end and they had a legit sumo wrestler on the roster at one point. That rules.

they had a legit sumo wrestler, but not the guy they had play a sumo wrestler, the legit sumo wrestler played a natural disaster :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Smoking Crow posted:

wwe is written for vince mcmahon

case in point: a week after he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a tanning salon, there was a storyline on raw about a woman wrongfully accusing a wrestler of sexual assault

So my rejection and distaste of it and its fans is warranted?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like pro wrasslin' :ohdear:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's your decision re:wwe

there's other wrestling companies even though americans only woke up to this like 2 years ago

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

it's your decision re:wwe

there's other wrestling companies even though americans only woke up to this like 2 years ago

Woah, now. My favorite wrasslin' of all time is 80s NWA

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Randaconda posted:

Woah, now. My favorite wrasslin' of all time is 80s NWA

80s NWA was good, but I'm talking specifically about our current climate of the past 10 years or so where WWE cultivated this idea that if it didn't happen in WWE, it didn't matter

We've gotten to the point where people think New Japan matters and that's cool I guess

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

80s NWA was good, but I'm talking specifically about our current climate of the past 10 years or so where WWE cultivated this idea that if it didn't happen in WWE, it didn't matter

We've gotten to the point where people think New Japan matters and that's cool I guess

WWF/WWE has always acted like nothing anybody did outside of the company matters. :smithcloud: I'll watch a WWE match if I hear it's good, but to quote Jim Cornette, I'm a fan of pro wrestling, not sports entertainment.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They didn't do that under Vince McMahon, Sr. Back then it was pseudo-NWA territory. Acting superior was a Vince Jr thing

You might enjoy Ring of Honor. Impact (formerly TNA) is good now surprisingly

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

They didn't do that under Vince McMahon, Sr. Back then it was pseudo-NWA territory. Acting superior was a Vince Jr thing

You might enjoy Ring of Honor. Impact (formerly TNA) is good now surprisingly

Ring of Honor has peaks and valleys, but the in ring stuff is usually good to great.

Oh wow, I hadn't heard Impact was decent again. Might have to check it out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

twistedmentat posted:

So my rejection and distaste of it and its fans is warranted?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My 90s pro wrestling was AAA in my grandparents house when I was sick and probably that's why I have a lifelong appreciation for masked wrestling. Nowadays, if I'm watching wrestling I'm still only watching Mexican wrestling, it's even better live, for some reason lucha ramen is even more delicious than regular ramen.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I live in the Midwest so CMLL YouTube shows are the closest I get

They even have LA Park and Cibernetico so you can pretend you're still watching 90s AAA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It is interesting that Wrestling really has ups and down. Like no one cared about it until the late 90s, then it kind of died off, then it became popular again, now it feels fairly background now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It is interesting that Wrestling really has ups and down. Like no one cared about it until the late 90s, then it kind of died off, then it became popular again, now it feels fairly background now.

It was a huge deal in the 80s when Hulk Hogan became this massive celebrity and WWF was crossing over with MTV.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was a huge deal in the 80s when Hulk Hogan became this massive celebrity and WWF was crossing over with MTV.

Yea, that was huge. I never could watch Wrestling, but I did enjoy the cartoon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was most into wrestling in the Attitude era because I liked Steve Austin and the Rock but Kane and the Undertaker were too scary for me. :D

I'm less into it now but I'm actually more interested in everything around wrestling than the actual wrestling itself. For example, I really liked that documentary from a few years ago about World Class Championship Wrestling and how everybody who worked there died tragically.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

twistedmentat posted:

Wrestling is making more money than it ever has in history right now

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My friends and I would watch WWF with WCW in the Picture in Picture on my TV and switch between the 2 during commercials and when poo poo bored us on WWF. That feels 90's as gently caress.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wrestling peaked with Doink the clown and his sidekick Dink

Also I just now learned that the original Doink is dead

edit: gently caress me, Yokozuna (the one that pretended to be a sumo wrestler) was 580lbs when he died, and around 650lbs at his biggest during his career. Absolute unit.
Also he died when he was 34. drat.

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I wonder if there's a connection.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Keith Atherton posted:

FINE! The lower shelves:

:yeshaha:

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FvCj4rzUs

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Peeny Cheez posted:

Cletus Andronicus

This is a quality joke right here and it needs more love.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi a few pages late but Cobain very clearly and admittedly wanted more money so he could be more of a junky and afford his heroine. Watch Montage of Heck and you’ll see pretty much everyone comments on how all he really wanted was to be a junky with that money. Watch it also because it is a really good documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Hi a few pages late but Cobain very clearly and admittedly wanted more money so he could be more of a junky and afford his heroine. Watch Montage of Heck and you’ll see pretty much everyone comments on how all he really wanted was to be a junky with that money. Watch it also because it is a really good documentary.

Guy just couldn't stop buying Wonder Woman comics. :(