Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't get a sense of his personality in the first part of Return to Ivalice, I just mentally substituted other Ramzas in lieu of him just being there.

Now he's an "incurable prick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ramza was always a prick it's just more stark as time goes on because you expect someone like that to soften a bit over time but nope

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But Rathalos is a good example to why that doesnt work outside of gimmicks.

Rathalos Extreme is fine though?

Also, high floors of PotD and HoH count for reasonably difficult 4-man content (ok, not THAT difficult given people have nearly soloed it last I heard and probably have actually soloed past it since, as far as PotD up through floor 180 is concerned). I still have fond memories of the PotD behemoth rematch on floor 180.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 1, 2018

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pugs die on Phantom Train (Savage) like crazy, so I'll say yes.

Why use Larboard anyway? The Temple of the Fist boss uses "Port and Star".

Oh god, Phantom Train. I only cleared O5S and O6S, but Phantom was definitely the harder of the two, and if I ever got ghost tethered, there was about a 50% chance I got passenger carted.

I thought about the Larboard vs. Port debate, though, and the one advantage of Larboard is that if you had no idea what either meant, you can at least guess it means "the opposite of starboard." Maybe. I guess it's also better for symmetry or something.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Rathalos Extreme is fine though?

Also, high floors of PotD and HoH count for reasonably difficult 4-man content (ok, not THAT difficult given people have nearly soloed it last I heard and probably have actually soloed past it since, as far as PotD up through floor 180 is concerned). I still have fond memories of the PotD behemoth rematch on floor 180.

The high floors of PotD are fun and would be great 4 man content if there was any way to mitigate the 100 levels of boring easy grind to get there. But I suppose if you don’t need to spend hours to get there the gold drops would become worthless

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Xun posted:

The high floors of PotD are fun and would be great 4 man content if there was any way to mitigate the 100 levels of boring easy grind to get there. But I suppose if you don’t need to spend hours to get there the gold drops would become worthless

Being able to start from floor 100 would be nice. To be able to start from Floor 150 if everyone in the party has reached it would be amazing.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Is the ARR raid content PUGable, or am I best avoiding it until I pull myself together and get into a FC?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Safeword posted:

Is the ARR raid content PUGable, or am I best avoiding it until I pull myself together and get into a FC?
Cape Westwind is kind of a brutal gear shift but a lot of it is the level thing. Doing it at 47 is really rough but if you're at 50 - or even better, 51 or 52 - it's doable if you keep on your toes. It was a real meatgrinder early on, though!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Cape Westwind is kind of a brutal gear shift but a lot of it is the level thing. Doing it at 47 is really rough but if you're at 50 - or even better, 51 or 52 - it's doable if you keep on your toes. It was a real meatgrinder early on, though!

:stare:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'm going to assume there's a joke in there I won't get for a while. :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

Heh

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's a really easy fight

Realtalk, do the veterans a favor and skip the cutscene at the start. Watch it at an inn afterwards. You'll probably get comms for that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Counterpoint, never skip cutscenes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You're a lame-o if you skip cutscenes. Speedrunner nerds need to sit down and get swirlied.

Can't excuse MSQDR though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

isk posted:

It's a really easy fight

Realtalk, do the veterans a favor and skip the cutscene at the start. Watch it at an inn afterwards. You'll probably get comms for that

Isn't Cape Westwind's cutscene only like 2 minutes long, about the same as Shiva's and probably some others? Let's not kid ourselves here, no MMO player's time is that precious.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Channeling my inner David Bowie.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

isk posted:

It's a really easy fight

That would mean listening to less Steel Reason for everyone, bad call

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/5th_anniversary/infographic/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

oh and also

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nodosaur posted:

oh and also

Splendid indeed, old friend

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Safeword posted:

Just dive in, especially if you are talking about the 24 man stuff like crystal tower, everything just melts and bosses barely get to do their gimmick. There are still one or two things you have to do but people will usually shout that stuff out before the fight. If you are talking Coils then you will probably have to join unsynced party finder groups and they melt pretty much like ARR ex primals.
I think Turn 9 is still an exception where you might want to read a guide and try and get some help from vets but that’s about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

Well, open-world PVP tends to breed ruthless behavior because the guidelines on it is open enough and there's no reason not to behave "dishonorably" in those cases. In WoW at least they also really want to encourage players to identify with their faction (Horde players are no doubt having issues with that right now) and hate the other like it's a sports team...or real life nationalism.

wow has the worst implementation of open world pvp in the MMO sphere. and then a bunch of other MMOs went and copied that poo poo lmbo

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Ramza bas Lexentale is a jerk but I'm curious what Ivalice part 3 will reveal about him. Hopefully he gets to switch clothing to look closer to Ramza Beoulve, because the St. Mocianne gear looks too drab on him.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ramza is either starting get possessed by a crystal or him and his sister are the legit Ramza and Alma somehow.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
A friend linked me to music from an area called The Singularity Reactor. Despite a total lack of context, it sounds really familiar and haunting...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Azubah posted:

Ramza is either starting get possessed by a crystal or him and his sister are the legit Ramza and Alma somehow.

I really hope he's possessed, because if his nicer personality is the real one, it means bas Lexentale took a nice boy and totally ruined him.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

brainwrinkle posted:

I healed O11N (holy poo poo that is hard) and one of the BLM just refused to res after a point. That really chaps my rear end.

This is from last page, but before you yell at a black mage to raise and then get mad when they don't in the future, BLMs don't get a raise.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I assume they meant the BLM refused to accept a raise.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah they refused to accept a raise and laid on the floor as the rest of us cleared.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The floor is not having to avoid mechanics

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Can't take damage if you've got no health.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

brainwrinkle posted:

Yeah they refused to accept a raise and laid on the floor as the rest of us cleared.

o. That's.... interesting.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've sorta done that just once as a BLM. Got knocked off an edge due to being greedy with casts, as BLMs do, and I watched the healers revive the same monk 3 or 4 times before I decided to get up and go get a drink or something.

I had a res and a 'you gonna join us?' waiting for me when I got back. It's petty but I didn't hurry back to life.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I gotta admit, there's been a few times I've considered just laying dead in shame.

Learning new content on BLM is rough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sade posted:

This is from last page, but before you yell at a black mage to raise and then get mad when they don't in the future, BLMs don't get a raise.

I remember seeing a thread about this on the OF. :stare:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
It is more than a little frustrating when you're not getting revived from your first death while other DPS who have had brink of death for three deaths straight continue to get raised.

Doubly so when you have refresh and your healers are mana starved.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Alakaiser posted:

It is more than a little frustrating when you're not getting revived from your first death while other DPS who have had brink of death for three deaths straight continue to get raised.

All DPSes are the same in the eyes of Healer, worms.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alakaiser posted:

My favorite is when I'm spending the whole fight in o11 or o12 mana shifting the healers, finally get killed by something unavoidable because the healers are busy rezzing people who shouldn't be dead, and they leave me on the ground while they pick up the dragoon who has spent more time tanking the floor than being alive.

E: that's a lie the best was when I died trying to be a hero vs Construct 7 by jumping into a stack with too few people, party had three rdm and they and the healers all had nearly max mp, and I stay on the ground for a good 90 seconds.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 1, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I feel like no one appreciates being mana shifted so maybe I'll make an annoying macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My favorite is when healers res you in a fight with unavoidable raidwide AOEs but don't top you off and then get mad because you keep dying immediately