Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

animist posted:

i can't tell if this image is intended to be taken seriously
This was literally the sort of idiotic example books for beginners were using to teach OO at the height of its popularity, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i agree, but it’s like javascript for machine learning right now, in terms of specific field ubiquity. i wish something nicer would take the high level spot, or that psf would take their head out of their rear end for python 4 or whatever, but the outlook is not great on that one.

the nim people are trying to make an inning there

which is a good or a bad thing depending on how you feel about nim

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nimtorch iirc was dog poo poo the last time i looked at it

julia would be good as hell if it didn't have lisp disease (lib maintainers don't give a poo poo about anything, nothing ever gets tested)

if you need to use a non-plang use c and torch or c++ and tensorflow bindings, for neural net land. i dunno for rest-of-statistical-computing land

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

julia would be good as hell if it didn't have lisp disease (lib maintainers don't give a poo poo about anything, nothing ever gets tested)

ha, sounds about right

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

animist posted:

the nim people are trying to make an inning there

which is a good or a bad thing depending on how you feel about nim

last time i looked at nim it felt to be intended to replace octave/matlab, which is a noble pursuit but will be kind of a flop i feel. naturally, these things won’t happen overnight or even over a year or two, but it feels like there is catch 22 with big languages being bad in way A and swarm of microlangs being not a good thing in itself either. like, let’s take ostensibly “scientific computing”, quite a condom of a term, where there are concurrent new developments of - julia, nim, chapel, f#, q#, maybe dlang and rust (in the same way as f# or chapel), probably a lot more smaller fishes

what im whining at is that there’s nothing in sight for a language with a feature-complete ecosystem and tooling support that could universally supersede python for numbers problems without inducing learning overhead with semi-mandatory “real programmer things” like memory management

also why on earth did julia go for 1-indexing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

help me im reading down the julia rabbit hole

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

help me im reading down the julia rabbit hole

have fun indexing at one and never having the right tool for the job unless you make it yourself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

have fun indexing at one and never having the right tool for the job unless you make it yourself

don’t worry im expert at reading and thinking about being productive without actually doing anything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also apparently they added custom indexing at some point

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also apparently they added custom indexing at some point

neato, so your packages and libraries can break each other?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what im whining at is that there’s nothing in sight for a language with a feature-complete ecosystem and tooling support that could universally supersede python for numbers problems without inducing learning overhead with semi-mandatory “real programmer things” like memory management

Common Lisp could if people actually tried to use it again for the task, especially if the big matrix numeric stuff was done via FFI (as it is with Python)

one big difference is that you actually could implement the numerics in Common Lisp too—if you were willing to put time into optimization—and get good results (it can perform on the same order as C and FORTRAN these days)

as an advantage, you can implement the non-numeric parts of AI systems (like knowledge representation and inference) really well in Common Lisp, and also optimize those implementations well whether by clever coding, giving the compiler hints, or straight up extending the language

I’d also suggest that DSLs are far more reasonable to implement atop Common Lisp than most other languages because the typical way a DSL is implemented in Lisp (Lisp-like, via macros) lets you bring the full power of Lisp’s existing tooling to bear on the DSL as if it were any other code in the host language, which isn’t something you can say for most other environments

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

neato, so your packages and libraries can break each other?

i don’t know but i would like to believe it doesn’t matter on compiler level

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Gazpacho posted:

UML is useful as a common language for training presentations and documentation. Better than everyone making up their own notation.
well, except for

brand engager posted:

I immediately forgot what all the different arrow types meant in whatever course introduced them :rip:

so :shrug:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
diagrams are a ducking pain in the rear end to draw.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lot of bad opinions amounting to "just write the code lol" itt atm

granted i have largely never done anything except draw haphazardly on a whiteboard then written the code, but obviously uml, and pseudocode, does something rather incomparable with the "real" code

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lot of bad opinions amounting to "just write the code lol" itt atm

or, you know, write the reqs and docs with human language

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Wheany posted:

well, except for

so :shrug:
Theres four arrow types of consequence, tattoo them on your arm if that’s the only way you can remember them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Gazpacho posted:

Theres four arrow types of consequence, tattoo them on your arm if that’s the only way you can remember them

i have now done this, but there are 20 people in this conference room that haven't done it. please advice

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Wheany posted:

i have now done this, but there are 20 people in this conference room that haven't done it. please advice

tattoo it on them too

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://blog.joda.org/2018/09/do-not-fall-into-oracles-java-11-trap.html

oracle jdk no longer free for commercial use lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wasn’t that sorta expected in that folks should use openjdk or something? also i wonder how oracle legal will detect what jdk i use

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I have a 6 hour flight tomorrow, what's a good java book to download and work through

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

creatine posted:

I have a 6 hour flight tomorrow, what's a good java book to download and work through

oracle java development kit terms of service

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh they have brought openjdk into parity at the same time, so we now get flight recorder and mission control for free, which is pretty neat. also zgc is a huge improvement

overall this is a lot less bad than what i expected from oracle so far

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

zgc is very on-topic for the thread really: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pliden/slides/ZGC-Jfokus-2018.pdf

having done a lot of huge-heap java stuff in the past it is actually a pretty exciting addition

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

creatine posted:

that's an interesting gang tag, friend

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

animist posted:

i can't tell if this image is intended to be taken seriously

i know i've worked with people trying to build products without even this level of understanding the problem

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

that's an interesting gang tag, friend

:discourse:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

or, you know, write the reqs and docs with human language

You're talking to programmers here

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

Common Lisp could if people actually tried to use it again for the task, especially if the big matrix numeric stuff was done via FFI (as it is with Python)

one big difference is that you actually could implement the numerics in Common Lisp too—if you were willing to put time into optimization—and get good results (it can perform on the same order as C and FORTRAN these days)

as an advantage, you can implement the non-numeric parts of AI systems (like knowledge representation and inference) really well in Common Lisp, and also optimize those implementations well whether by clever coding, giving the compiler hints, or straight up extending the language

I’d also suggest that DSLs are far more reasonable to implement atop Common Lisp than most other languages because the typical way a DSL is implemented in Lisp (Lisp-like, via macros) lets you bring the full power of Lisp’s existing tooling to bear on the DSL as if it were any other code in the host language, which isn’t something you can say for most other environments

they vectorize the knowledge representation and inference too nowadays

and common lisp is older than python, if someone really wanted good ffi numerics in it they would've done it by now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

creatine posted:

Practical Common Lisp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they vectorize the knowledge representation and inference too nowadays

and common lisp is older than python, if someone really wanted good ffi numerics in it they would've done it by now

you’re assuming they haven’t

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

you’re assuming they haven’t

knowing the numerics libs in common lisp 5 years ago, i'm pretty sure the answer is they haven't, yeah. the blas poo poo is pretty dog poo poo in actual docs and testedness compared to how good numpy is

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

creatine posted:

java language spec

skip the boring parts they won't bite you in the rear end for 6 months at least

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

christ, who wants to deal with this nonsense? use .net core instead.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i like dotnet core

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

brap posted:

i like dotnet core

its good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

brap posted:

i like dotnet core

i read this as "i like don't care" at first lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

christ, who wants to deal with this nonsense? use .net core instead.

it's all about milking the install base. oracle doesn't give a gently caress whether hipsters get turned off on java, they weren't going to use it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

it's all about milking the install base. oracle doesn't give a gently caress whether hipsters get turned off on java, they weren't going to use it anyway

yeah, c# is totally a hipster lang