Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tubgoat posted:

Rereading more carefully the post you were replying to, I see now you were specifically talking about shootings and not suicide in general. That is my bad. Probably an oversimplification on my part, then, though alienation is still the culprit, I believe, even if the shooter was a narcissist or entitled.

:rip: Hodgkinson, the shooter America deserved and needed. :rip:

I kinda feel alienation, narcissism and entitlement are all kind of the same thing in the context of how capitalism teaches people to completely disregard everyone but themselves and their own success and fulfilment while also hammering home they can never be truly fulfilled because money needs to be spent to feed the bottomless pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I feel at that point, narcissim and entitlement become so broadly defined as to become meaningless. Hell, "mental illness" is the state of not being cool staring down a lifetime of, best case, indentured servitude. Meanwhile in the real world where humans and not monsters live, mental illness is supporting and celebrating a system that is literally destroying all of humanity by turning its carefully-selected-for altruism into a liability.

https://dungherder.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/the-cure-for-america-something-to-believe-in/

One interesting note: when this was published, America hadn't yet come out publicly and admitted to the suppression of climate science.

It seems to me that if shouting fire in a crowded theater is not protected speech, that knowingly shaping policy toward causing massive irreparable harm to human lives and the environment ought not be protected speech either. It'd be the equivalent of barricading from the outside the doors to a burning theater as burning victims shriek and choke and firefighters attempt to approach the building, only to have their engines sabotaged by the arsonists who've taken out massive insurance policies on the building and everyone they've trapped inside.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is a phenomenal post. Thank you.

if I end up voting Avenatti it will be because the democrats failed to put up anyone that could clear the bar of "not poo poo on policy and is willing treat the GOP as an enemy"

if Bernie doesn't run I will probably end up voting for Avernatti

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Nastier Nate posted:

if I end up voting

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

I had a longer, nastier effortpost on deck, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've just absorbed too much capitalist propaganda and instead of impugning your character, will simply assure you that it's alienation, ultimately, 100% of the time, regardless of how you feel about that person or their lot in life.

iirc academic sociology was born out of trying to explain the massive rise in suicide during the industrial revolution by durkheim

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

if I end up voting Avenatti it will be because the democrats failed to put up anyone that could clear the bar of "not poo poo on policy and is willing treat the GOP as an enemy"

if Bernie doesn't run I will probably end up voting for Avernatti

if the choice is between avenatti and other shitlibs just dont loving vote. liberal democracy is dead

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm looking forward to an Avenatti run because 1) He gets court-packing into the national dialog; 2) It'll be funny to see him make fun of the even worse candidates; and 3) I'm genuinely curious how the idiot libs on twitter break for/against him. On one hand, he's a slimeball white dude, on the other, he does epic owns on Drumpf and loudly believes the poo poo out of women on twitter

E: just to clarify, I will not be voting for the Bastaman under any circumstances, but I do hope he runs and at least gets to one debate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
everyone having to include a Bastaman disclaimer in their posts from now on until he drops out wins the nomination beats Trump is very funny, to me

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if the choice is between avenatti and other shitlibs just dont loving vote. liberal democracy is dead

gotta vote one last time to really put the stake through the heart tho

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

better start organizing a militia then, cause he's gonna win

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti...ingawful.com%2F

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Why not just kill middle management if you can't kill the billionaires

I was an armed guard for a CEO once. The reason he had me was because the line supervisors were getting killed/stabbed in the parking lot of the factories with surprising regularity.

Also, billionares have literal SEAL teams for security.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Agean90 posted:

better start organizing a militia then, cause he's gonna win

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti...ingawful.com%2F

bernie will win

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

bernie will win

bernie is the only leader the american people trust. so he will win. in fact he has already won, and will win 538-0

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

bernie will win

i mean in the sense that he'll be dead before any of us sure

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm looking forward to an Avenatti run because 1) He gets court-packing into the national dialog; 2) It'll be funny to see him make fun of the even worse candidates; and 3) I'm genuinely curious how the idiot libs on twitter break for/against him. On one hand, he's a slimeball white dude, on the other, he does epic owns on Drumpf and loudly believes the poo poo out of women on twitter

E: just to clarify, I will not be voting for the Bastaman under any circumstances, but I do hope he runs and at least gets to one debate.

theyre just going to treat him like they treated candidates like kucinich and ron paul in the past; ie completely ignore him and just laugh and change the subject when he brings up stuff like court packing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Il Federale posted:

theyre just going to treat him like they treated candidates like kucinich and ron paul in the past; ie completely ignore him and just laugh and change the subject when he brings up stuff like court packing

this is such pre-escalator thinking

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is such pre-escalator thinking

and the dems have sure proved theyve moved past that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zegermans posted:

i mean in the sense that he'll be dead before any of us sure

god dammit

yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Il Federale posted:

and the dems have sure proved theyve moved past that

good to be in the days when party apparatus means more than viral media exposure

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Il Federale posted:

did you already forget when #Basta showed up at DNC meetings (having almost certainly been invited) and paraded around in front of the reporters while all the superdelegates publicly fawned on him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1046757490489257984?s=19

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

smh at all you people forgetting James hodgkinson

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

what a lame gamergate style way to try to own harris. 'its about ethics in being a prison stuffing da'

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Il Federale posted:

I'm 0% on the Avvenatti train but they aren't going to be able to ignore him since he generates his own press.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Let you who among you, would not sleep with a man 30 years older than you to advance your career, cast the first stone

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1046766200234147840

I wonder when the progressive groups in NY will realize that the system is endlessly abusable and just trash the meetings after throwing the establishment folks in the river

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Terror Sweat posted:

Tubgoat posted:

:rip: Hodgkinson, the shooter America deserved and needed. :rip:
Smh at you not reading just one page back. I know these threads are tl;dr.txt, but :cmon:.

Eta: I would sleep with a man 30 years my senior to advance my career, but the only way I'm having sex with him is if he happens to have the body of an attractive person with solely female sex characteristics.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 1, 2018

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

he's watching the skies with dorner now

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1046768533491908609

WARREN

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Moar liek concerning citizen, amirite.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The problem isn't the dem establishment...it's the voters

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Nastier Nate posted:

there's enough blame for both

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

World War Mammories posted:

he's watching the skies with dorner now

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Agean90 posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1046766200234147840

I wonder when the progressive groups in NY will realize that the system is endlessly abusable and just trash the meetings after throwing the establishment folks in the river

I keep waffling on weather if Chris Hedges is too pessimistic for calling electoral politics a dead end or too optimistic for saying that genuine change is possible without our politicians living in fear of an angry mob tearing their limbs from their bodies.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Tubgoat posted:

...that knowingly shaping policy toward causing massive irreparable harm...
Good luck proving it

You're only gonna get the dumb people who can't play dumb

Like Kavanaugh who can't say "I can't recall" like Sessions
Hell guilty or not it's the most damning thing to see from someone in law trying to get on the supreme court to be too dumb to say "I don't remember" instead of straightup "I NEVER DID THAT, HAVE A CALENDAR!"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernard Sanders is a small business owner

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Nastier Nate posted:

Yes

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

To further expand, the people who comprise the Democratic establishment or either ideologically committed to neoliberalism, and are therefore bad, or if they are amenable to approaching a Social Democratic platform in response to the sentiment of their voters, they they are careerist, and are therefore bad.

Which is to say, expecting any change to come from the top is a hopeless Endeavor, and any change must come from the voters, and therefore radicalizing the voters is the problem to be solved

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

To further expand, the people who comprise the Democratic establishment or either ideologically committed to neoliberalism, and are therefore bad, or if they are amenable to approaching a Social Democratic platform in response to the sentiment of their voters, they they are careerist, and are therefore bad.

Which is to say, expecting any change to come from the top is a hopeless Endeavor, and any change must come from the voters, and therefore radicalizing the voters is the problem to be solved

basta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

what the gently caress does a "likely caucus attendees" screen look like

also worth noting that David Binder has been a Dem consultant for over two decades. his areas of specialty are focus-grouping and "assessing subjective factors such as language, emotion, and attitudes". in other words, he's a bullshit-slinger