Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"Honey, what did you put in the toaster oven?"
"Leftover shrimp, why?"
"Well, remember that funny story I tell all the time about the toaster oven in my English teacher's room catching on fire? Let's just say it prepared me for this very moment."
"IT'S ON FIRE?"
"Not anymore. But it's definitely still smouldering on the back porch."

PROTIP: clean the crumbs out of your toaster oven once in a while, and don't wander off while it's going. Luckily, I was taking a nap in the adjacent room and the sound of flames woke me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

What rear end in a top hat reheats any seafood? That's an OSHA violation in itself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You either eat all the seafood or you throw it away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i had to throw away my toaster oven in college because my roommate kept cooking really oily fish in it and by the end of one semester it was a total loss

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

If you're gonna go through the trouble of wiring something up, why not just add a toggle switch instead of a janky extension plug?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rad-daddio posted:

If you're gonna go through the trouble of wiring something up, why not just add a toggle switch instead of a janky extension plug?

Fewer likes/shares/retweets

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mustached Demon posted:

What rear end in a top hat reheats any seafood? That's an OSHA violation in itself.

Sagebrush posted:

i had to throw away my toaster oven in college because my roommate kept cooking really oily fish in it and by the end of one semester it was a total loss

Right, I mean, party foul part one? But the good news is that since it caught fire, it didn't smell like anything but, y'know, burning.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

If it's anything like my bodges, it's because I don't live in a parts warehouse, and thus don't have a switch laying around for loving free.

But getting to go down to the electronics shop is 99% of the fun!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just get a switch on Amazon or rockauto or something sheesh

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wonder if they were clever enough to put the 12v on the socket side and not the plug

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

I feel like there should be some sort of fail safe device to stop the fuel from continuously pissing out of that truck.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There should probably be an interlock between the handbrake and the hose valve

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Because it's good enough to get it fixed quickly and it kept working. Don't fix what isn't broke.

I think that would literally be fixing what is broke, actually.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

GotLag posted:

There should probably be an interlock between the handbrake and the hose valve

Wow that's genius. Somebody give this person a job!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I feel like there should be some sort of fail safe device to stop the fuel from continuously pissing out of that truck.

I'm still not clear how it managed to pop the quick disconnects on both ends of the hose

schmug
May 20, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm still not clear how it managed to pop the quick disconnects on both ends of the hose

it didn't, the hose actually separates from the stems.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I cringe every time I see him runs around the front of the rolling truck like a suicidal idiot.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Phanatic posted:

My friend's having the engine in his Cessna rebuilt (it's old enough that it's just that time). That's a $20,000 job, even before they found a crack in the crankshaft which adds another $4000. When you pull the big red handle to deploy that chute, you total your airplane, even if it lands in a really big poofy pillow. At the *very* least, the gear are toast, the seats are a collapsing aluminum honeycomb so those are all ruined now, and there's a solid-fuel rocket that just fired out of the airplane's tail. A chute deployment is a job for the insurance adjuster, not the mechanic.

Airplanes are *really expensive*. It's worse than boats, and you know what they say about boats: Don't own a boat; have a friend who owns a boat.

(It is a damned nice airplane, my friend with the Cessna has one and I was just up over Sedona in it.)

I envy America because planes are ubiquitous and relatively cheap there. I'm located in Western Europe and it'd cost me anywhere between 15k and 30k EUR just to get the license from what I've read from the clubs in my area :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

I cringe every time I see him runs around the front of the rolling truck like a suicidal idiot.

It looks like the passenger door is open anyways, he should have been able to jump in and grab the parking brake but was obviously in full "panic like an idiot" mode.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powershift posted:

It looks like the passenger door is open anyways, he should have been able to jump in and grab the parking brake but was obviously in full "panic like an idiot" mode.

Where is the parking brake on one of those, anyway? I imagine it being a big pedal to the left side of the driving pedals, but not because of any facts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Where is the parking brake on one of those, anyway? I imagine it being a big pedal to the left side of the driving pedals, but not because of any facts.

No, it's usually a valve or lever on the center of the dash. There's also usually a lever or stalk for the trailer brakes, which would also have stopped the truck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I envy America because planes are ubiquitous and relatively cheap there. I'm located in Western Europe and it'd cost me anywhere between 15k and 30k EUR just to get the license from what I've read from the clubs in my area :(

I mean the key word is "relatively." It still costs about $12,000 to get a pilot's license in the USA, and the cheapest flightworthy airplanes you can get are still $20k and up. Renting a Cessna is about $100/hr.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

No, it's usually a valve or lever on the center of the dash. There's also usually a lever or stalk for the trailer brakes, which would also have stopped the truck.

Wheel chocks are expensive....

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Stimperor posted:

The training is pretty garbage in the US. Not much about safety and dealing with emergencies. It's why you see so many light aircraft crashes and deaths per flight hour. The emergency landings are special. US is no doubt easier to fly with so much GA airspace.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

I mean the key word is "relatively." It still costs about $12,000 to get a pilot's license in the USA, and the cheapest flightworthy airplanes you can get are still $20k and up. Renting a Cessna is about $100/hr.

Not really OSHA related but is that per hour that the plane is running? I hear about people renting planes to go to lunch somewhere which would be lame if you're paying another 100 dollars for the hour while you're in a restaurant.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Not really OSHA related but is that per hour that the plane is running? I hear about people renting planes to go to lunch somewhere which would be lame if you're paying another 100 dollars for the hour while you're in a restaurant.

It's per hour that the engine is on.

E: One Wierd Trick to save money on Airplane Rentals! The NTSB hates it!

schmug
May 20, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

lmao if you are worrying about a couple hundie if you are taking a plane to go to lunch. But I am sure it is for the time the plane is gone. You don't pay for rental cars by miles driven.

tactlessbastard posted:

It's per hour that the engine is on.
Really? there has to be another deposit or something then. You could have the fucker for days if not.

doh!

http://www.stcharlesflyingservice.com/aircraft-rental-instruction-rates/

schmug fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 1, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Isn't there some trick whereby you take off and turn off the electrical systems in the air to stop the meter running?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GotLag posted:

Isn't there some trick whereby you take off and turn off the electrical systems in the air to stop the meter running?

YES!! Then you glide to your destination because the engine is off too!!

schmug
May 20, 2007

The old John Denver maneuver

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

schmug posted:

lmao if you are worrying about a couple hundie if you are taking a plane to go to lunch. But I am sure it is for the time the plane is gone. You don't pay for rental cars by miles driven.
Really? there has to be another deposit or something then. You could have the fucker for days if not.

Yes it is paid by engine running time. The weird trick is running the engine at a lower RPM. The tachometer runs slower. I have taken a plane out overnight and there is no deposit or anything. Unlike cars you do have to put some real effort in getting a license and the community has a different mind set. As long as you ask the owner and they agree you can take it out for as long as you want and pay running time only. Gas is also included in the deal.

GotLag posted:

LOL

schmug
May 20, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Yes it is paid by engine running time. The weird trick is running the engine at a lower RPM. The tachometer runs slower. I have taken a plane out overnight and there is no deposit or anything. Unlike cars you do have to put some real effort in getting a license and the community has a different mind set. As long as you ask the owner and they agree you can take it out for as long as you want and pay running time only. Gas is also included in the deal.

LOL

Yeah I went back and sort of corrected my ignorance. Sorry about that. That is pretty drat cool.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

There's a restaurant in the California valley that has it's own little airstrip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Ranch_Airport

All of the local pilots treat their wives to a plane trip out there for lunch once they get their license. They also have a 100 dollar hamburger, which is pretty much in line with what life with an airplane is like.

I have a friend who's a partner in a Cessna ownership. He said it's a bout 300/month, but he also just had to share the cost of an engine overhaul which cost him about 5000 more out of pocket.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"Honey, what did you put in the toaster oven?"
"Leftover shrimp, why?"
"Well, remember that funny story I tell all the time about the toaster oven in my English teacher's room catching on fire? Let's just say it prepared me for this very moment."
"IT'S ON FIRE?"
"Not anymore. But it's definitely still smouldering on the back porch."

PROTIP: clean the crumbs out of your toaster oven once in a while, and don't wander off while it's going. Luckily, I was taking a nap in the adjacent room and the sound of flames woke me up.

Mustached Demon posted:

What are you talking about? I heat up toaster pastries all the time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Most planes have (at least) two hour-meters. The Hobbs meter is an electrical clock that counts continuously when the main power is on (sometimes also only when oil pressure is detected, indicating that the engine is running). The tachometer also has an hour-meter that counts at normal speed when you're at full throttle, and slows down at partial openings.

The hobbs is what's used for rental rates, so you're charged per hour (usually to the tenth) that the engine is running. Fuel is usually included in the price, to encourage people not to cheap out when filling up and risk running out of gas. So if you fly an hour out to an airport, wander around the town for the afternoon, and fly back in the evening, you're only going to pay for 2 hours. Most places charge a daily minimum rate if you're going to keep the plane overnight, though.

The tach meter is used to calculate engine overhaul intervals, because the engine wears faster if you run it harder.

Rad-daddio posted:

There's a restaurant in the California valley that has it's own little airstrip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Ranch_Airport

All of the local pilots treat their wives to a plane trip out there for lunch once they get their license. They also have a 100 dollar hamburger, which is pretty much in line with what life with an airplane is like.

"hundred dollar hamburger" is actually the idiom that pilots use to mean the Saturday joyride where you fly to a random airport and back just to have lunch. Of course these days it's more like a $300 hamburger but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

Harris Ranch has a good steak.

oohhboy posted:

The training is pretty garbage in the US. Not much about safety and dealing with emergencies. It's why you see so many light aircraft crashes and deaths per flight hour. The emergency landings are special. US is no doubt easier to fly with so much GA airspace.

I would love to see your source on this. The USA has the highest number of GA pilots in the world and every other nation sends their airline pilots to the USA for training.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 1, 2018

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

GotLag posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbs_meter

1. It can measure the time that the electrical system is on. This maximizes the recorded time.
2. It can be activated by oil pressure running into a pressure switch, and therefore runs while the engine is running. Many rental aircraft use this method to remove the incentive to fly with the master electrical switch off.
3. It can be activated by another switch, either an airspeed sensing vane under a wing (as in the Cessna Caravan) or a pressure switch attached to the landing gear (as in many twin engine planes). In these cases, the meter only measures the time the aircraft is actually flying. Metrics such as Time In Service and Turbine Actual Runtime are kept to monitor overhaul cycles, and are usually used by commercial operators under Federal Aviation Regulations Parts 135, 121, or 125.
4. It can be activated when the engine alternators are online (as in the Cirrus SR series).

schmug posted:

One way is to have daily minimum hours on overnight trips. If you fly out Friday evening, leave it parked on Saturday and fly it back Sunday you might be on the hook for 6 hours minimum for the 2 overnights.
It's going to depend on where you rent it from though. If you look around online you'll get a lot of different answers because every rental place seems to do it differently.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
If you ever got real cute keeping an airplane for a long time you'll just not be allowed to rent again. It's a small community.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sagebrush posted:

I would love to see your source on this. The USA has the highest number of GA pilots in the world and every other nation sends their airline pilots to the USA for training.

Yeah, I'd love to see the source on this too, we are going to have more incidents in total because.... we have more people with the ability to fly, but is it actually higher in %? I doubt it because our pilots are trained very well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The USA has about as many pilots as the rest of the world combined, and two to four times the per capita rate as all other developed countries. About 0.2% of the population of the USA has a pilot's license, around 0.1% in Canada, Germany, and a few others, and <0.05% in the rest.

This isn't because the training in the USA is any worse -- it's because the USA is big and open with lots of places to fly, and it has a shitload of little airports, and the country invented aviation, and there were a ton of military-trained pilots just after WW2 when the country was flush with war money so the infrastructure and culture got built up appropriately to enable civilian general aviation.

It's a lot less appealing to get a pilot's license when your entire country is the size of a small American state and everywhere you go there's either a major airport or a military base and also gasoline is insanely expensive. For the same reason, gliders are quite popular in Europe -- appropriate speeds for a small country, lots of mountains, don't have to pay for gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

GA =/= Commercial aviation. Asia sends a lot to pilots to Australia and NZ for the higher safety standards.

Here are the stats you wanted or as close as you are going to get.

https://www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/Accident-Statistics.aspx

As much as people rag on about aircraft accidents as Superman said it is a really, really safe form of transport even including GA. The low number of accidents and deaths spike the stats as they tend to be mass events. Incidents on the other hand, lets say people under report that by a lot.

This had be grinning like an idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwUhTlnOKh8

Edit: Here's more on GA/Commerial split.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Air_safety_statistics_in_the_EU

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 1, 2018