Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

They wrote Thor 2? WTF happened? I had no idea the people behind the Cap movies also wrote that one.

People can write good things and poo poo things. See also them writing Pain and Gain.

Aphrodite posted:

Real life tragedies are the basis for every good story ever made.

This has nothing to at all to do with what I said. So amazing insight there. I said making a joke of a movie about awful people that were real life murderers was in poor taste and was worse than making a joke of a movie about robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

People can write good things and poo poo things. See also them writing Pain and Gain.

This has nothing to at all to do with what I said. So amazing insight there. I said making a joke of a movie about awful people that were real life murderers was in poor taste and was worse than making a joke of a movie about robots.

This kind of thinking gives us a world without Fargo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

This kind of thinking gives us a world without Fargo.

Fargo is loosely based on a true event where all the names were changed and the events are mostly fictitious to the point where it’s actually really unknown what specific crime it was based on. Pain and Gain was not.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The long form article that Pain and Gain is based on was good, and anyone who liked the movie should set aside some time and read it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

They wrote Thor 2? WTF happened? I had no idea the people behind the Cap movies also wrote that one.

Thor 2's kind of boring and forgettable but I don't think it's that bad a film. It's certainly got more going on than like... Iron Man 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iron man 2 has Sam Rockwell and a cool team up with war machine and Thor 2 has... nothing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Iron man 2 has Sam Rockwell and a cool team up with war machine and Thor 2 has... nothing

Thor 2 has Loki and Thor teaming up to fight a bad guy, and Stellan Skarsgård without pants on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't the team up just Loki fake dying immediately tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Wasn't the team up just Loki fake dying immediately tho

They escaped Asgard together and some other stuff first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like the parts of Jane in Asgard, And the portal stuff in the final battle is fun. Oh and the Dark Elf attack on Asgard is pretty good, but that's like maybe 30 minutes of the movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

They escaped Asgard together and some other stuff first.

Oh right

I've pretty much blanked that whole movie

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

site posted:

The only cool part of the War Machine+Iron Man fight is the very beginning, which is the bit in the trailers. I'm still kinda butthurt over that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

mycot posted:

The only cool part of the War Machine+Iron Man fight is the very beginning, which is the bit in the trailers. I'm still kinda butthurt over that.

I liked the "You wanna be a hero? I could use a sidekick!" call back at the end.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Dunno about Phoenix because I haven't heard much (outside of it being delayed), but with New Mutants, a huge chunk of the movie had to be reshot because apparently Fox freaked out about the tone of the actual film vs. what was intended? Or something to that effect. I've heard everything from Fox wanted to add connections to some other X projects or something, or that Fox panicked at the reception of the trailer and wanted the movie reshot to meet people's apparent expectations. I think they either added, removed or significantly changed a character as well, IIRC.

WRT to Phoenix, I have always heard that it was mostly on schedule but was in limbo in general (reshoots are normal for big movies), not that it needed massive work.

New mutants was originally a full horror movie, Fox then flipped and rewrote the movie to be more like the traditional comic book movie; between positive reception of the initial trailer cut and the success of “It” made fox change their mind again to the point were supposedly 50% of the movie had to be reshot and rumors of adding a new character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PenguinKnight posted:

New mutants was originally a full horror movie, Fox then flipped and rewrote the movie to be more like the traditional comic book movie; between positive reception of the initial trailer cut and the success of “It” made fox change their mind again to the point were supposedly 50% of the movie had to be reshot and rumors of adding a new character.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I remember watching Thor 2 and being amazed at how much good screentime they were giving to Freyja before realizing "Oh, it's because they're going to murder her."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
First trailer for Runaways S2, new trailer for Titans (Netflix has picked it up internationally, hence their branding):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgAgH775jDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nN_CC-Us8

Runaways looks fine, and it looks like there'll be more powers this season. Titans trailer is much better than the first, but I can't get past the fact that they're teasing a romance between characters who are played by a 14-year-old and a 23-year-old. Did the showrunners just not think through the ramifications of casting Raven so much younger than the other three leads?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

I always think of it as a Bruckheimer film first, Bay second

Probably the same in my head.

site posted:

Sam Rockwell needs to be in more movies. Now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Sam Rockwell needs to be in more movies. Now.

He was just in a lovely movie and a great movie this past year. He's doing fine!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He was just in a lovely movie and a great movie this past year. He's doing fine!

I NEED HIM TO DANCE THROUGH MY LIFE MONTHLY.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Barry Convex posted:

First trailer for Runaways S2, new trailer for Titans (Netflix has picked it up internationally, hence their branding.)

Well that's another reason I'm glad I didn't subscribe to that DC streaming service.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aww yeah gimme dat Nicolina

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

First trailer for Runaways S2, new trailer for Titans (Netflix has picked it up internationally, hence their branding):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nN_CC-Us8

Runaways looks fine, and it looks like there'll be more powers this season. Titans trailer is much better than the first, but I can't get past the fact that they're teasing a romance between characters who are played by a 14-year-old and a 23-year-old. Did the showrunners just not think through the ramifications of casting Raven so much younger than the other three leads?
in the comics Robin is briefly attracted to Raven but it turns out she's manipulating him to be so because she wants him to help her with her Trigon problem/doesn't understand that's not how you get someone to like you. They may be angling it that way.

Cynical marketing option: they know exactly what they're doing and who they're appealing to and will use the 'but she's really a 10k year old demon' excuse like anime does.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the comic, Raven used her power to make Kid Flash fall in love with her and it goes on for a bit. Wolfman trying his hardest to ape Claremont, I suppose.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

I love Hocus Pocus!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Runaways shows promise, but who knows if all those effects/action scenes are actually the only ones, so I am not getting my hopes up.

Titans still doesn't look very good and lol at Starfire having that terrible costume the entire time.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Runaways is dropping all the episodes at once this year which I have hopes will make it a better show (S1 was better in binge than weekly imo).

The preview image that Titans trailer is using makes Raven look like she's in a bad SNL skit. It looks like she's in a bad wig with an oversized poncho on.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So I guess they are going with Dick being Robin well into his 20s? Because I don't see how he is getting a job as a cop in a major city, let alone a detective, as a teenager.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Titans poster (particularly Robin) looks sort of like someone only saw the "serious" parts of the Teen Titans Go episode "Let's Get Serious" and thought it looked awesome.

(Underrated line from that episode, by the way, is Serious Beast Boy's "I can't smile any more. :emo:")

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

(Netflix has picked it up internationally, hence their branding

Hopefully they're doing all the shows and I can be disappointed in Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol without caring about the stupid app.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Titans poster (particularly Robin) looks sort of like someone only saw the "serious" parts of the Teen Titans Go episode "Let's Get Serious" and thought it looked awesome.

(Underrated line from that episode, by the way, is Serious Beast Boy's "I can't smile any more. :emo:")

It looks like those "mature" fan films that used to pop up some years ago, down to the grittiness and the cheapness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuringa posted:

It looks like those "mature" fan films that used to pop up some years ago, down to the grittiness and the cheapness.

Definite Grayson vibes from it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Definite Grayson vibes from it.

Oh come on, Graysom didn't look nearly this terrible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Remember the poor guy who made a thread here about a year ago to advertise the Nightwing fan film they worked on?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember the poor guy who made a thread here about a year ago to advertise the Nightwing fan film they worked on?

No, tell me more

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

No, tell me more

Spoilers: it was bad

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, I was pretty mean to that guy.

But do y'all remember that horrible BANE fan film I linked?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh come on, Graysom didn't look nearly this terrible.

They made the Irish stereotype from the Adam West show into a dirty cop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyfQ7RMOXs

They have Catwoman make what sounds like it's supposed to be a cat pun, but isn't. "This Kitty bites," seriously? not even a "This Kitty has claws?"

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 2, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I forgot just how goddamned bad that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I forgot just how goddamned bad that was.

It's actually based on a full script the director wrote, so the gratuitous Green Lantern cameo at the end wasn't out of the blue. You used to be able to find it online, someone in CineD did a lengthy write-up on it years ago, it's terrible. Comisionar Gordon accidently shot Batman while trying to shoot the Joker.