Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

Lol there's an explicit point to ensure that grocery stores in BC can't just stock BC wine and have to bring in US wine too.

When that "BC only" rule was introduced by the BC Liberals it seemed so obviously against NAFTA.

What I hate is that a lot of this stuff seems to be US-only. I would like more international wines to be available for instance, but I would not appreciate more US wines specifically because US wine is all garbage for idiot morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

More like 95% have nfi about supply management, and 65-70% of people would prefer to pay less for the same item in the context of what they know about supply management.

seems like we're all pretty much on the same page here

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

More like 95% have nfi about supply management, and 65-70% of people would prefer to pay less for the same item in the context of what they know about supply management.

This is kind of what I meant though. If Obama was on the other side instead of Trump no one would care so much about Saputo and Agropur losing their bottom line, especially the left. It’s always been a right wing idea, see Stephen Harper’s numerous writings about it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Thread here on the changes to auto manufacturing. They sound good?

https://twitter.com/FlavioVolpe1/status/1046731433895755781?s=20

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

PT6A posted:

What I hate is that a lot of this stuff seems to be US-only. I would like more international wines to be available for instance, but I would not appreciate more US wines specifically because US wine is all garbage for idiot morons.

It's a trade agreement with the US and Mexico, what were you expecting here?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

Huh? Calling U.S. wine garbage when you live in Canada is the ultimate "people in glass houses" statement. I would like more international wines too, but there's plenty of good U.S. wines. (the LCBO doesn't do a very good job at picking great examples, granted).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

enki42 posted:

Huh? Calling U.S. wine garbage when you live in Canada is the ultimate "people in glass houses" statement. I would like more international wines too, but there's plenty of good U.S. wines. (the LCBO doesn't do a very good job at picking great examples, granted).

Canadian wine is also mostly garbage, I didn't mean to imply ours was any better.

North American wine in general is very much made in the vein of "what if fruit juice, but with lots of alcohol?" No sense of balance, really high alcohol, and a very heavy emphasis on fruit flavours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Canadian wine is also mostly garbage, I didn't mean to imply ours was any better.

North American wine in general is very much made in the vein of "what if fruit juice, but with lots of alcohol?" No sense of balance, really high alcohol, and a very heavy emphasis on fruit flavours.

There's a lot of objectively good BC wine and this is yet another in an extremely excessively long line of bad things you think.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

*adds wine to the list of stuff PT6A doesn't know gently caress-all about but will still try to act like an expert on*

Just gently caress off you ignorant poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a lot of objectively good BC wine and this is yet another in an extremely excessively long line of bad things you think.

Several whites, yes, and several extremely overpriced reds produced in very low numbers. They are few and far between.

Ontario, I would say, has a much better track record of producing good wines, unfortunately one of the top producers may or may not be ein sexmonster, so that's a minus.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

If you're saying that Ontario reds stack up to good California reds you should never post about wine ever again. I won't say Canadian wine is garbage or anything, but Ontario wine is popular pretty much only in Ontario for a reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The wine goes in the winter stew and it tastes good. That’s my like one wine a year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

enki42 posted:

If you're saying that Ontario reds stack up to good California reds you should never post about wine ever again. I won't say Canadian wine is garbage or anything, but Ontario wine is popular pretty much only in Ontario for a reason.

Is the reason the little VQA owned stores have better hours than the LCBO?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Gave my +1 to Québec Solidaire in Vimont today. May the CAQ suffer one thousand years of darkness.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Ontario, I would say, has a much better track record of producing good wines

LOL yeah okay

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

infernal machines posted:

Is the reason the little VQA owned stores have better hours than the LCBO?

Between that, the fact that they're actually at the grocery store and not a separate trip (the non-VQA wine expansion into grocery stores is almost non-existent from what I can see), VQA wines almost always gets premium shelf space at the LCBO, and wine tourism. The deck is pretty stacked for Ontario wine (not that I have a big problem with that per se).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

Maybe if you love high-alcohol wines that taste mainly of fruit juice, yeah. To be fair, that's a huge and very popular style, but it ain't my cup of tea.

I've drank some of the very highly-regarded Napa cult wines, and while they are unquestionably excellent examples of their style, it's a bad style.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How can you be so completely ignorant about absolutely loving everything?

If you don't know about something, it's okay to keep your mouth shut. You don't have to form a dumb opinion and double down defending it at every opportunity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

How can you be so completely ignorant about absolutely loving everything?

If you don't know about something, it's okay to keep your mouth shut. You don't have to form a dumb opinion and double down defending it at every opportunity.

This is actually something I have quite a bit of experience with. If you disagree, that's okay, but that doesn't make you any more right than I am.

I suppose it's wrong to say that US wine is objectively bad, but it's correct to say that the predominant style is one that is crafted to appeal to prominent wine critics while lacking the balance found in similarly priced wines of other origin. High alcohol wines with bold flavour find favour with a lot of critics because they can stand out during a tasting of many different wines, but that doesn't translate to objective quality.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're generalizing and writing off an entire continent of producers that creates in insane amount of variety. That's like writing off all German cars because you drove a Volkswagen once.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I mean, I'll agree that U.S. based wines (new world, really) tend to be very fruit-forward and bold, but "fruit juice with alcohol" is as dumb a statement as saying that U.S. craft beers are just piles of hops with no character. There's plenty of subtlety and character to be found in good fruit-forward bold wines. It might not match some arbitrary European criteria of what qualifies as "balanced", but that only makes it bad against some bullshit measuring stick where the only determiner of how good a wine is is how much it apes some French style.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

You're generalizing and writing off an entire continent of producers that creates in insane amount of variety. That's like writing off all German cars because you drove a Volkswagen once.

I mean once you drive a Beetle what else could you want

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just want master of malt to be able to ship to Canada

That'll never happen.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
People travel from outside the country to the Okanagan specifically for wine but apparently it sucks? Interesting.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah Canadian wines aren't going to be able to hold a candle to like anything from the Rhone valley, but they're not bad. Are you exclusively purchasing from the LCBO? I can see how you might get that impression if you're literally just buying the mass-produced swill they make from wholesale grapegrowers.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Seriously. There's a lot of very good Ontario wines, the problem being very little of it makes it to the LCBO. I'm not entirely sure why, I think it has to do with required quantities.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You bougie fucks

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Helsing posted:

You bougie fucks

:yeah:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

I mean, I'll agree that U.S. based wines (new world, really) tend to be very fruit-forward and bold, but "fruit juice with alcohol" is as dumb a statement as saying that U.S. craft beers are just piles of hops with no character. There's plenty of subtlety and character to be found in good fruit-forward bold wines. It might not match some arbitrary European criteria of what qualifies as "balanced", but that only makes it bad against some bullshit measuring stick where the only determiner of how good a wine is is how much it apes some French style.

I disagree. French wines are far from the be all and end all, and lots of wine regions have been able to do wonderful things with French grapes in a new, novel style: Chenin Blanc in South Africa, Carmenere in Chile, Malbec in Argentina, and Sauvignon Blanc in New Zealand. These wines are all very good and none of them are typically made in a "classic" French style. That's different from Napa Valley crafting wine after wine, using any grapes they happen to have on hand, specifically to give Robert Parker an erection.

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah Canadian wines aren't going to be able to hold a candle to like anything from the Rhone valley, but they're not bad. Are you exclusively purchasing from the LCBO? I can see how you might get that impression if you're literally just buying the mass-produced swill they make from wholesale grapegrowers.

It's interesting you mention the Rhone valley, because the grapes they grow there are capable of producing some immensely lovely and unbalanced wines if they aren't properly grown, vinified and blended.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

You bougie fucks

CanPol yuppies

Serious opinions on wine and cheese.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Seriously. There's a lot of very good Ontario wines, the problem being very little of it makes it to the LCBO. I'm not entirely sure why, I think it has to do with required quantities.

Yeah, the LCBO requires you to produce a minimum of 10kL (iirc) to stock you - can't remember if that's per variety or per winery. This means that the smaller wineries (which generally make the better wines) almost exclusively sell out of their vineyards.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Helsing posted:

You bougie fucks

ur rite

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CanPol yuppies

excuse me I'm a DINK, get your acronyms right god

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CanPol yuppies

What if I don’t like most wine that I’ve tried but love a shitload of cheeses

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Then you're lucky, because you can devote more money to buying more and better cheese since you're not spending it on wine!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Quit enjoying stuff!

Just be hateful and miserable like everybody else.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

Then you're lucky, because you can devote more money to buying more and better cheese since you're not spending it on wine!

Truth. Plus, you don't have to worry about talking to pretentious bougie fucks about minor flavour variances that they're probably imagining.

It's me i'm the shitlord who went to niagara once and doesn't get invited to parties anymore :sun:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

did chairmaster go to bed yet

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah, the LCBO requires you to produce a minimum of 10kL (iirc) to stock you - can't remember if that's per variety or per winery. This means that the smaller wineries (which generally make the better wines) almost exclusively sell out of their vineyards.

That'd be the reason! Thankfully the vineyards ship / have wine clubs.

CanPol yuppies

DINK 4 LYFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

did chairmaster go to bed yet

first period suuuuuucks, dude