Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Buying my first AV receiver, and went to take a look at the last ex-display (but never plugged in) Yamaha V683 at a not-so-local store (Richer Sounds). Ended up going for it @ £375, though I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra £125 and gone for the Denon X2500H w/ cable pack online.

I can't see much difference in features between the two, apart from some extra HDCP 2.2 ports on the Denon - though I haven't got much that would need a 4K port. Should I see if I can return it still and spend the extra cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Hi thread, we're moving and our new place has a porch with glass doors, so we're looking to position the TV so we can watch it from outside. I want to find a receiver that'll do 5.1 for inside, but can also hook up wirelessly to a Bluetooth speaker so you can hear sound on the porch without leaving the door open. I don't know if this is a thing stereos just "do" these days, it's been ten years since I went receiver shopping so idk. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it below $2-300 and put a little more toward a solid speaker setup, since I'm building this system from scratch.

Everything going into the receiver will be HDMI, and I don't imagine they make receivers with less than like three ports, so whatever on that. Component would be nice, but I know that's going the way of the dodo these days.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

vanov posted:

Hi thread, we're moving and our new place has a porch with glass doors, so we're looking to position the TV so we can watch it from outside. I want to find a receiver that'll do 5.1 for inside, but can also hook up wirelessly to a Bluetooth speaker so you can hear sound on the porch without leaving the door open. I don't know if this is a thing stereos just "do" these days, it's been ten years since I went receiver shopping so idk. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it below $2-300 and put a little more toward a solid speaker setup, since I'm building this system from scratch.

Everything going into the receiver will be HDMI, and I don't imagine they make receivers with less than like three ports, so whatever on that. Component would be nice, but I know that's going the way of the dodo these days.

I don't even think that's a thing, but also I wouldn't go about it that way. (Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.)
Go to Accessories4less.com
Pick out something that suits your needs, but also has "Multi-zone" or "Zone-output" and use a zone for a bluetooth transmitter that connects to your bluetooth speaker.
Like this: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr676/onkyo-tx-nr676-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
I know some receivers will connect to Wireless speakers, so if you don't already have a bluetooth speaker then maybe go that route?

In any event, what you're trying to accomplish should probably be done through "zones."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d probably get a receiver with a zone 2 and just get really cheap or used bookshelf speakers and a sub.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't even think that's a thing, but also I wouldn't go about it that way. (Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.)
Go to Accessories4less.com
Pick out something that suits your needs, but also has "Multi-zone" or "Zone-output" and use a zone for a bluetooth transmitter that connects to your bluetooth speaker.
Like this: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr676/onkyo-tx-nr676-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
I know some receivers will connect to Wireless speakers, so if you don't already have a bluetooth speaker then maybe go that route?

In any event, what you're trying to accomplish should probably be done through "zones."
Thanks, this is actually super useful to know! I haven't set up a stereo using a zone system before, so this'll be a new learning experience. Thankfully I haven't put any money into this yet and won't be bringing any existing components into this setup, so I can pick the parts from scratch, including the outdoor speakers.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V481D Surround-receiver to replace my broken Onkyo. The Yamaha is great, although with my speaker setup (5.0) I feel like the back (surround) speakers are really hard to hear when watching Netflix or TV. They are a different brand (2x Harman/Kardon SAT TS-60) from my front speakers (L+R Heco Metas XT 501 and a Heco center speaker) I'm wondering if I can manually up their volume a bit inside the Yamaha. The other 'problem' is that sometimes when I turn on my TV, I see the message on screen that the external receiver failed to turn on. Then the TV speakers are used. I don't know why this is the case, but it's easily resolved by either turning on the receiver, or turning it off and on. All in I'm really satisfied with the new receiver.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

vanov posted:

If you're going to be using the outside speakers just for music, get Chromecast Audios. One for inside, one for outside. They can be synchronised with zones and expanded as needed. Not as fancy as Sonos stuff, but a fraction of the price.

If you're listening to TV outside or whatever, zone 2 is pretty much your only option. You could look at Denon's HEOS stuff and see if that does what you need, but it's up there with Sonos for cost.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Sioux posted:

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V481D Surround-receiver to replace my broken Onkyo. The Yamaha is great, although with my speaker setup (5.0) I feel like the back (surround) speakers are really hard to hear when watching Netflix or TV. They are a different brand (2x Harman/Kardon SAT TS-60) from my front speakers (L+R Heco Metas XT 501 and a Heco center speaker) I'm wondering if I can manually up their volume a bit inside the Yamaha. The other 'problem' is that sometimes when I turn on my TV, I see the message on screen that the external receiver failed to turn on. Then the TV speakers are used. I don't know why this is the case, but it's easily resolved by either turning on the receiver, or turning it off and on. All in I'm really satisfied with the new receiver.

Did you connect the mic and run the self setup thing?

That automatically calibrates things like volume and latency.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What's good with subwoofers these days? I have a pair of Paradigm Titans and would like a little more bass. Something solid to ~30 Hz is fine, doesn't need to be super loud but has to be quick. If I could find a PDR-12 that wasn't beat to hell and/or overpriced I'd probably buy that, if that gives you any frame of reference. In more general terms, 10 or 12", around 300-ish dollars, but cheaper is better if possible (but I'm certainly not counting on that :v: )

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Emotiva BasX subs seem to be getting good reviews, the S10 is right in your price range. Also look at the Hsu VTF-1 if you can stretch it a bit. The next tier up starts around $500 with the SVS 1000 series, Rythmik L12, entry-level REL, etc. If you really want "fast" sealed is better and direct servo like Rythmik is best. The BasX S10 has a passive radiator so I'd guess it's somewhere between sealed with no radiator and ported.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The L12 looks seriously impressive, although it would match better with my living room setup that I never use :v: Still that's seriously tempting for the price. I'm not sure why I'm thinking 300 when that was entry level 10 years ago. Wishful thinking I guess.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm getting kind of sick of my Elac B6 being too boomy when I listen to music. I have a Denon s910w for a receiver . Is it worth it trying to stuff the ports or do I need to step up? I use it for music and movies. Thought about going with a set of KEF Q100s but prices brand new seem kind of insane at 500$. The front port seems nice to me since they would be sharing a wall with the bedroom.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Does the Denon have EQ that could be used to tame the boominess? Stuffing ports can be worth it as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Does the Denon have EQ that could be used to tame the boominess? Stuffing ports can be worth it as well.

Yeah it has audessey. I should probably run it again.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm getting kind of sick of my Elac B6 being too boomy when I listen to music. I have a Denon s910w for a receiver . Is it worth it trying to stuff the ports or do I need to step up? I use it for music and movies. Thought about going with a set of KEF Q100s but prices brand new seem kind of insane at 500$. The front port seems nice to me since they would be sharing a wall with the bedroom.

Put socks in the ports and see how it affects the sound? Takes all of 5 minutes to try :sun:

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I recently moved to a new apartment and I'm getting a significant bit of resonance and surface vibration from my sub (elac s10eq) - I'm on the 3rd floor in an older house and suspect the shared/ceiling floor is a little thinner than where I previously lived because this was never an issue before.

Are acoustic mats/isolation platform what I'm looking for and if so is there any reason to not get the cheapest one that fits the woofer size?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
it will definitely help, but bear in mind that you will also need to keep the sub away from the wall and keep the volume down unless you know your neighbors are out/wont be bothered. those older buildings ring like crazy with the slightest provocation

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah it has audessey. I should probably run it again.

Does Audyssey let you manually adjust the EQ correction it generated?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Does Audyssey let you manually adjust the EQ correction it generated?

I have no idea. I usually just do auto eq

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It does on my Denon.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Despite what goons will tell you, your equipment other than speakers does matter. Try an Onkyo A-9010 if you can find one

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Boomyness is more often the room than the actual sub, but an amp/processor that can EQ your subwoofer tones can usually get it to sound more punchy. You should probably experiment with some drastically different subwoofer placements around the room before changing equipment though. If your listening area is against a back wall, try putting the sub at the back wall too. The closer the subwoofer is to you, the less it has to excite the room to get a decent volume to your ears. Less SPL around the room often means less boom.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Don Dongington posted:

Did you connect the mic and run the self setup thing?

That automatically calibrates things like volume and latency.

Yeah I tried that, but got the line phase error (or whatever it's called that says your speakers are out of phase). I've checked the cabling but those seem to be correctly wired, might be an open window or the acoustics in the room? I'll have to fiddle around with the set a bit more I guess.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jonathan posted:

Boomyness is more often the room than the actual sub, but an amp/processor that can EQ your subwoofer tones can usually get it to sound more punchy. You should probably experiment with some drastically different subwoofer placements around the room before changing equipment though. If your listening area is against a back wall, try putting the sub at the back wall too. The closer the subwoofer is to you, the less it has to excite the room to get a decent volume to your ears. Less SPL around the room often means less boom.

No sub. I'm an apartment dweller and trying to be a good neighbor. 3.0 system. 2 ELAC B6 as L/R and a C5 center. It's fine for TV and movies can get a little boomy but it's not too bad but music just sounds muddy as all hell and it uses stereo (Apple Music from my Apple TV, Denon is set to auto so it switched from multi in to stereo).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

No sub. I'm an apartment dweller and trying to be a good neighbor. 3.0 system. 2 ELAC B6 as L/R and a C5 center. It's fine for TV and movies can get a little boomy but it's not too bad but music just sounds muddy as all hell and it uses stereo (Apple Music from my Apple TV, Denon is set to auto so it switched from multi in to stereo).

Have you tried stuffing the ports with socks yet?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Wibla posted:

I've been running around like a madman but when I do I'll absolutely report back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can set a crossover point, even without a sub. This will, in effect, mute the lower frequencies your speakers can't handle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What can you guys recommend that is in the same class as the NAD C3X8 series?

I need a stereo integrated, 80-100WPC, optical input (2 if possible), phono input is a huge plus but not if it costs considerably more than just getting another separate phono stage.

Here's where it gets tricky. I need it to be remote controlled AND no more than 5" tall.

The C368 and C388 ticks all those boxes but it's also $1600 and yeah...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What can you guys recommend that is in the same class as the NAD C3X8 series?

I need a stereo integrated, 80-100WPC, optical input (2 if possible), phono input is a huge plus but not if it costs considerably more than just getting another separate phono stage.

Here's where it gets tricky. I need it to be remote controlled AND no more than 5" tall.

The C368 and C388 ticks all those boxes but it's also $1600 and yeah...
If you need legit 100WPC in that size and don't want to spend buckets of money you're basically screwed. The NAD 338/368, Cambridge CXA60 or SR20, Elac EA, Marantz 6006 spring to mind but they're all 50-80WPC. If you abandon that extra 2-3dB you'll get from a true 100 watt amp you have a ton more options. You could also look at AVRs like an Integra DSX-3 or Marantz NR.

What speakers? I know you like to completely overdo everything in audio so I'm guessing they're something weird.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Adcom GFA-5802 and use it as a monitor riser :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

If you need legit 100WPC in that size and don't want to spend buckets of money you're basically screwed. The NAD 338/368, Cambridge CXA60 or SR20, Elac EA, Marantz 6006 spring to mind but they're all 50-80WPC. If you abandon that extra 2-3dB you'll get from a true 100 watt amp you have a ton more options. You could also look at AVRs like an Integra DSX-3 or Marantz NR.

What speakers? I know you like to completely overdo everything in audio so I'm guessing they're something weird.
Yeah the whole setup is weird. It's some bullshit slapped together from leftovers that were replaced by other stuff.
The speakers are Vandersteen 2CI's.
I've done a ton of research already into both new and the last decade's worth of offerings and I think I already know the answer. But I'm hoping someone knows of something that I might have missed. It's surprisingly hard to find exactly what I'm looking for by googling "100wpc amp dac remote control phono input less than 5 inches tall"

I've got a Rotel RX-1052+DAC I'm using right now. It's 100wpc and stays cranked up about 3/4 of the way to max most of the time just to reach a reasonable listening volume.) It's a large open space and I'm listening from far away. Which is really dumb for time-aligned speakers with a first order crossover I know but whatever. I don't NEED 100wpc, I'm actually only using about 60 most of the time. But, I'm legit using 60 watts most of the time. I've already burned out one amp board, and replaced it. Current RX-1052 is going strong so far but who knows for how long. I'd really rather sell it off to someone who appreciates it or put it to good use at a friend's house and get something newer to replace it.

Whatever I get I'd rather not have it cranked to eleven 24/7 just to watch tv. I'd like a little headroom to keep down the heat as well as cut down on distortion.
I looked at some of the typical AVR's (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc) but the problem is there's nothing slim that has over 50watts.

I'm probably going about this the wrong way. What I should be doing is getting a whole new setup; something with horns and a slimline AVR. But these speakers are already in place and have a good wife approval factor and I really don't want to have to go through all that all over again. Also, I can't afford Focal Kanta's.

Panty Saluter posted:

Adcom GFA-5802 and use it as a monitor riser :v:
I know this is a comedy option, but I'm honestly not beyond getting a good remote-controlled preamp or processor and a separate power amp.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Wibla posted:

Update: Gave the speakers some more breathing room from the wall. Re-ran Audyssey, things definitely seem to have evened out. For now I think I'll hold off on the socks.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What's the best way for a non-technical person to control these fancy AVRs? Logitech Harmony hub and a real remote?

I want a receiver with 2 switching HDMI outputs, and 2-3 zones. I don't know if my wife will want to understand audio/video routing.

edit: I don't want to do Crestron

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TheWevel posted:

What's the best way for a non-technical person to control these fancy AVRs? Logitech Harmony hub and a real remote?

I want a receiver with 2 switching HDMI outputs, and 2-3 zones. I don't know if my wife will want to understand audio/video routing.

edit: I don't want to do Crestron

Probably. But I'm also wondering what your options are for smart home integration. Zones are the perfect use case for, "Hey Google. I want to hear the TV in the green room"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those speakers are huge, couldn't you just hide small monoblocks behind each one? Prop a Behringer iNuke or Crown on its side leaning against the wall.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 3, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Probably. But I'm also wondering what your options are for smart home integration. Zones are the perfect use case for, "Hey Google. I want to hear the TV in the green room"

Yeah I don't know. I've been poking around on A4L and it looks like whatever I get will be an Integra or Denon or Onkyo. My concern with the Google Assistant integration has been in the past you had to be ultra specific on the commands. It might be more trouble than its worth.

My original plan was just to have 2 chromecasts and 2 amps but then I thought about being able to put different things on the 2nd TV and I started looking at receivers. What a rabbit hole.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Multiple zones will never work exactly how you want it, every receiver has some weird quirks around how it works.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Those speakers are huge, couldn't you just hide small monoblocks behind each one? Prop a Behringer iNuke or Crown on its side leaning against the wall.

Absolutely, and I'm totally not opposed to that. Hell, I'll even mount the power amps in the basement rack and run the cables through the wall into wall-plates with banana jacks so that it's super clean.
But I still need a good remote controlled receiver(with pre-outs)/preamp/dac to do the rest of the work.

I mean I guess I could just mount the AVR in the basement rack and run IR extenders and speaker cable connections back up to the first floor living room but I really like the idea of having a piece of gear in the console that I can see and know what the volume is set to BEFORE I turn on the TV. Also I really like being able to plug in my headphones for late night movies without waking anyone up.
The last thing I want is to put my newborn daughter to bed, sneak downstairs, and turn on the TV only to have "The Real Housewives of Uranus" blaring at loving 120db.

The more I think about all this, the more I realize how special-snowflake my current setup is and how much thought went into shoehorning a pile of poo poo in the living room. Jesus.

TheWevel posted:

Yeah I don't know. I've been poking around on A4L and it looks like whatever I get will be an Integra or Denon or Onkyo. My concern with the Google Assistant integration has been in the past you had to be ultra specific on the commands. It might be more trouble than its worth.

My original plan was just to have 2 chromecasts and 2 amps but then I thought about being able to put different things on the 2nd TV and I started looking at receivers. What a rabbit hole.

My nightmare began when I started grouping all my google home devices and Chromecasts thinking that I would be able to tell the google home to use the Chromecast to play something. LOL NOPE GFY.
EVEN WORSE: any "Hey Google play music" gets picked up by a Home (because home overrides phone recognition when you're close enough to one) and played over the Home speaker instead of through the stereo with an attached Chromecast. So if I want to voice command my Chromecast I literally have to make any Google Home within earshot is turned off before I say anything.
Don't even get me started on loving voice recognition.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My nightmare began when I started grouping all my google home devices and Chromecasts thinking that I would be able to tell the google home to use the Chromecast to play something. LOL NOPE GFY.
EVEN WORSE: any "Hey Google play music" gets picked up by a Home (because home overrides phone recognition when you're close enough to one) and played over the Home speaker instead of through the stereo with an attached Chromecast. So if I want to voice command my Chromecast I literally have to make any Google Home within earshot is turned off before I say anything.
Don't even get me started on loving voice recognition.

Er, you know you have to tell it what device to play on, right? "hey google, play music on the living room TV" (or whatever you named the particular chromecast). Or maybe I'm not understanding your use case. Of course it's just going to play on whatever device heard you if you don't tell it where to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Absolutely, and I'm totally not opposed to that. Hell, I'll even mount the power amps in the basement rack and run the cables through the wall into wall-plates with banana jacks so that it's super clean.
But I still need a good remote controlled receiver(with pre-outs)/preamp/dac to do the rest of the work.

I mean I guess I could just mount the AVR in the basement rack and run IR extenders and speaker cable connections back up to the first floor living room but I really like the idea of having a piece of gear in the console that I can see and know what the volume is set to BEFORE I turn on the TV. Also I really like being able to plug in my headphones for late night movies without waking anyone up.
The last thing I want is to put my newborn daughter to bed, sneak downstairs, and turn on the TV only to have "The Real Housewives of Uranus" blaring at loving 120db.

The more I think about all this, the more I realize how special-snowflake my current setup is and how much thought went into shoehorning a pile of poo poo in the living room. Jesus.
All these super complicated solutions but what if you replaced the furniture with something that could fit an actual sized component? Then you could get something like an Outlaw RR2160. Also most Onkyo/Integra receivers have a default power-on volume available, maybe other companies do as well.

Never forget the comedy "throw it all out and get a soundbar" option!