Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

tino posted:

Thanks guys I know Chinese, just haven't seen back in a few years.

Also what is the popular android app store alternative nowadays?

Most phone operators have their own app store (Huawei/Xiaomi/Oppo/etc...) and Baidu/360/etc also exist.

But most android apps are downloaded by an APK just for ease of use, especially for free stuff like Baidu maps here from Baidu's own site: https://shouji.baidu.com/software/24792415.html

They're probably also on google play though and you can grab them before you come over, they'll all work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think baidu maps is more than accurate than tencent maps but tencent maps is better at automatically translating English search terms into chinese results

And of course set up wechat or Alipay

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Do both alipay and wechat imo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

pay everything in 1rmb coins

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Jeoh posted:

pay everything in 1 jiao coins

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

caberham posted:

I think baidu maps is more than accurate than tencent maps but tencent maps is better at automatically translating English search terms into chinese results

And of course set up wechat or Alipay

Setup WeChat and Alipay using a Chinese phone number in China. You get separate features on WeChat at least, and better integration with Wallet functionality.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Smykowski posted:

Do both alipay and wechat imo

Yeah, Alipay is better integrated with Taobao and I also found it easier for stuff like paying phone/utility bills. But I might've just been used to using that since it came before Wechat pay.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there any way to set up wechat /alipay without a chinese bank card?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there any way to set up wechat /alipay without a chinese bank card?

Alipay requires two verified Chinese bank accounts for foreigners.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My name was too long for Alipay :smith:

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My name was too long for Alipay :smith:

Oh yeah, try to have a short name, and avoid having any middle names before you come to China.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Trammel posted:

Alipay requires two verified Chinese bank accounts for foreigners.

I only needed 1

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Trammel posted:

Oh yeah, try to have a short name, and avoid having any middle names before you come to China.

manchurian hatred of catholics endures till this day

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had to make a fake bank account to stay verified when Alipay changed that rule. It was perfectly China.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Well since I come back to China to visit family and show the infant baby to grandparents, doing China hasnt been too hard for me. My family handed me a 4g phone with wechat pay already installed so I dont have to deal with getting a Chinese bank account and all that crap.

But getting my "important apps"(awful app, reddit sync, express vpn etc) on the new phone has been a huge pain. I finally just backup the apks from my old phone with ef explorer and move the sd card to the new phone.

Sidenote, apperently Sprint has free slow 2g global data roaming on all its postpaid plans, but none of the Sprint reps I spoke to before I left knew about it. It doesnt go thru the Chinese firewall, its actually very handy.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Shenzhen goons I will be in town this weekend. Anyone who wants to help me acquire food and beer? My treat of course. It's a big place obviously but I hope to navigate to downtown for the majority of the weekend. Staying up in dongguan tho...

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

tino posted:

Well since I come back to China to visit family and show the infant baby to grandparents, doing China hasnt been too hard for me. My family handed me a 4g phone with wechat pay already installed so I dont have to deal with getting a Chinese bank account and all that crap.

But getting my "important apps"(awful app, reddit sync, express vpn etc) on the new phone has been a huge pain. I finally just backup the apks from my old phone with ef explorer and move the sd card to the new phone.

Sidenote, apperently Sprint has free slow 2g global data roaming on all its postpaid plans, but none of the Sprint reps I spoke to before I left knew about it. It doesnt go thru the Chinese firewall, its actually very handy.

All global roaming is essentially a VPN back to your home country.

Also for WeChat Pay if someone sends you a red envelope you can then accept it, add an international credit card (my Aussie Amex worked) and it’ll activate your wallet. You can’t add money but just hand cash to friends/family/acquaintances and have them transfer you the value.

This has made me way less worried about buying some random poo poo and being gestures that the vendor doesn’t accept cash.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Nam Taf posted:

All global roaming is essentially a VPN back to your home country.

Also for WeChat Pay if someone sends you a red envelope you can then accept it, add an international credit card (my Aussie Amex worked) and it’ll activate your wallet. You can’t add money but just hand cash to friends/family/acquaintances and have them transfer you the value.

This has made me way less worried about buying some random poo poo and being gestures that the vendor doesn’t accept cash.

I believe that was the old policy. My inlaw sent me a red pocket in my birthday earlier this year, I couldn't accept it because wechat wouldn't let me create a wallet account with a US credit card.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Y'all, I had to transfer out of PEK airport. During the process, the worker at the Hainan flights desk took a photo of my passport with their phone. Has that happened to anyone else? What's the purpose of that? Should I be worried about getting murdered by a robot version of myself. Hit me with the truth, docs.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tino posted:

I believe that was the old policy. My inlaw sent me a red pocket in my birthday earlier this year, I couldn't accept it because wechat wouldn't let me create a wallet account with a US credit card.

I did it 2 weeks ago so it can’t be that old. My colleague had previously said it failed for him when he tried last year. I don’t know if it is just super dependent on which card you use?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Nam Taf posted:

I did it 2 weeks ago so it can’t be that old. My colleague had previously said it failed for him when he tried last year. I don’t know if it is just super dependent on which card you use?

What do you know, I tried a Barclay US mastercard and it worked this time. Thanks for tipping me.

Now I am armed with wechat money I am going to raid the street food scene!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tino posted:

What do you know, I tried a Barclay US mastercard and it worked this time. Thanks for tipping me.

Now I am armed with wechat money I am going to raid the street food scene!

Glad it worked! I’ve yet to run into anything in Wuhan that wasn’t cash-available (though I’ve had my translator dude buy me poo poo before that may have been WeChat only), but it’s only a matter of time. It also means drunk me has an escape when I run out of cash which is good.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ive only seen wechat/alipay only stuff in shanghai and it tends to be real hipstery coffee places

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I tried to make alipay work and while it added both cards without issue, when I try to do the scan it asks me to enter a card number again and then there is an error. Tried a CC and a debit card but no luck. I guess my US banking institutions are not welcome?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Nam Taf posted:

Glad it worked! I’ve yet to run into anything in Wuhan that wasn’t cash-available (though I’ve had my translator dude buy me poo poo before that may have been WeChat only), but it’s only a matter of time. It also means drunk me has an escape when I run out of cash which is good.

Does this let you pay for poo poo with your US card? Cause that would be awesome for me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Does this let you pay for poo poo with your US card? Cause that would be awesome for me.

I haven’t tried to add cash from my card; I just get my chinese work lackeys to red envelope me money and I shower them with cash money

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Y'all, I had to transfer out of PEK airport. During the process, the worker at the Hainan flights desk took a photo of my passport with their phone. Has that happened to anyone else? What's the purpose of that? Should I be worried about getting murdered by a robot version of myself. Hit me with the truth, docs.
My passport cover page has been photographed and copied so many times by banks and hotels and tour operators and airline employees and mobile phone companies - etc, etc - that it's probably accidentally a shower curtain print that's being sold somewhere in the belt & road countries just from the many hacked phone data dumps it's ended up in. HK and SG and JP seem to follow Western standards of privacy and discretion, but everywhere else I've been just loving lol.

Let the peace of knowing that control is an illusion wash over you now when it comes to your identity and deal with that erroneous interpol red notice for trafficking down the road.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Haha, yeah. Erroneous.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
As if on cue:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3260679&perpage=40&pagenumber=570#post488722555

Bardeh posted:

I've just been informed by a friend back in Chiang Rai that they went to a Big C today to get some passport photos done, and my photo is up on there to advertise the British passport option. :wtf: I never got my photos done there and I have no clue how it could have gotten there.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I'm several days late, but you should be able to download apps at apkmirror.com and just install that way - much less sketch than finding elsewhere if you don't have google play store access.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
when I flew home one time on tianjin airlines, the lady at the counter took a picture of my passport and sent it to a WeChat group of over 500 people, and I said "what are you doing?" and she said "don't worry about it", and I saw the first two responses were "interesting" and "good looking" lol

when :china: rules the world

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

and I saw the first two responses were "interesting" and "good looking"

Boy are they wrong.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Boy are they wrong.

hence my lol, which you deleted from the sentence

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Boy are they wrong.

Are you sure? I think it was a picture of tga not you

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
lol at implicitly complimenting another poster you loving nub learn how to post

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sometimes you gotta weigh the options and just go for it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl I love these passport photo stories

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Every hotel photocopies mine here. I just sort of hope that I'm too ugly to be worth much on the black market and end up flying under the radar.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ugly people use the black market too, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nam Taf posted:

Every hotel photocopies mine here. I just sort of hope that I'm too ugly to be worth much on the black market and end up flying under the radar.

That’s a legal requirement though