Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

SpacePig posted:

There are maybe 3 people that I still make to to watch Numberphile videos of, and he is number one on that list. His enthusiasm is infectious.

Same. I can only hope to find something one day that I'm as enthusiastic about as he is about Klein Bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

People keep saying this about many kinds of bad advertising, but I doubt it works overall.

Because most people who see it are immediately laughing at the convoluted scenarios to make it useful and jump straight to assuming it's for freaks and weirdos.

Yeah, whenever I see something that looks like it could actually help me advertised as something for idiots who don't understand how strainers work or whatever, it makes me less likely to buy it. I have enough problems using things like canes and handicap parking spots as a person with an invisible disability. Why would I want to have people assume I'm a moron because whatever I'm using is advertised to morons?

Guy Mann posted:

If your motor functions are impaired to the point where a match or a lighter are an insurmountable obstacle maybe you should just stick to forms of emergency illumination that don't involve open flames.

Lighting a match or light isn't an "insurmountable obstacle" for a lot of disabled people who would use this. For me it often just plain hurts. But candles are lovely for emergencies except as a last resort anyway. Which for many people in 2018 would be after your flashlights all die, and your phone and your battery pack and your laptop and iPad and Switch and glow in the dark Bad Dragon dildo and your collectible Superman Funko with light-up laser eyes and every other random thing with LEDs in it knocking about your house. At which point you should just come out of your basement and let the death squads take you, because you've probably been drinking your own piss down there for a week.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

If your motor functions are impaired to the point where a match or a lighter are an insurmountable obstacle maybe you should just stick to forms of emergency illumination that don't involve open flames.

Sometimes disabled people like to have nice things?

One of my friends is in the late stages of MND, he can walk around just fine but cannot lift his hands above his waist. The only way he can use a smartphone is to stand above it and let his hand hang down onto it as he can't lift his hand to press the screen. Something like that would give him the autonomy to be able to light candle, which is all it really is. Nothing to do with emergency lighting, like he wouldn't be able to lift an LED torch either.

Do people think that most candles are emergency lighting?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ambitious crowdfunded spaceship game cancelled after six years of development. No, not that one.

Aramoro posted:

Sometimes disabled people like to have nice things?

One of my friends is in the late stages of MND, he can walk around just fine but cannot lift his hands above his waist. The only way he can use a smartphone is to stand above it and let his hand hang down onto it as he can't lift his hand to press the screen. Something like that would give him the autonomy to be able to light candle, which is all it really is. Nothing to do with emergency lighting, like he wouldn't be able to lift an LED torch either.

Do people think that most candles are emergency lighting?

The post I quoted was referring specifically to putting them in emergency kits for elederly and disabled people.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
isn't it reasonable to assume that people that can't light a candle are most likely to die from knocking it over onto their favorite collection of things that are ignitable and that maybe candles which are already a source of fire based misery... nah, fuckit let the disabled have their tiny fire

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you can't light a candle you probably can't handle a fire extinguisher either if your lit candle gets knocked over onto flammable objects.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
we can all agree though that a disabled person swatting at a comically large fire is p.funny right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought this was talking about Star Citizen before I clicked it and I got excited for a minute.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought this was talking about Star Citizen before I clicked it and I got excited for a minute.

scam citizen will never be cancelled since it's just too funny

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Surely this is an opportunity for a kickstarter to make a fire extinguisher that you can activate by simply pressing a button! Just have it pointed at your button activated candle at all times!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pimblor posted:

isn't it reasonable to assume that people that can't light a candle are most likely to die from knocking it over onto their favorite collection of things that are ignitable and that maybe candles which are already a source of fire based misery... nah, fuckit let the disabled have their tiny fire

Sure, it’s also reasonable to assume that they’re usually self aware adults who know how to manage hazards in their home around their disabilities. They do it every day. There are so many ways that a person who needs to think about it can mitigate the risks of a candle (only use a candle when someone else is around, put it on fireproof surfaces like porcelain or plates or whatever, put it somewhere that’s almost impossible to knock over, strategies for calling ems, stuff like that) that it’s just kind of offensive to suggest that it’s actually a problem.

It’s really the same as accessible kettles. I think a lot of the time a person with a disability would just rather deal with the occasional burns and spills than suffer even more indignity by asking for more help than they absolutely need. As long as they’re being careful and not negligently jeopardizing a whole building any more than a drunk person with candles normally does, we should do our best to extend them some support and understanding so they can feel like humans.

tuyop has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Oct 2, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sometimes, accessible appliances and such catch on eventually simply because they're more convenient and useful for everyone. And everyone has their moments when they're tired, drunk, injured or just not feeling good when ease of use really matters.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao I just said that all it does is cause pain for me, and therefore I would like it so I can light a candle and not hurt, and everyone is still going on as if the only people who would use it have advanced untreated Parkinson's or some poo poo. Lighting a candle being difficult because of arthritis or slight tremors doesn't make it more likely that you are going to knock it over or ,mean that you can't use a fire extinguisher. Just because someone can technically light a match or lighter doesn't mean that they wouldn't prefer to use something that makes it easier. Being disabled doesn't mean completely useless and unable to do anything, and or being too stupid to know more about what they are safely capable of than random internet people who apparently think all disabled people have the exact same limitations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Accessible, safe candles? Your ol' pal Guangzhou Charlie has you covered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpK9beBN98s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8lmgxRqf8

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

Accessible, safe candles? Your ol' pal Guangzhou Charlie has you covered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpK9beBN98s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8lmgxRqf8

but if you knock it over you can't burn your house down

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Pimblor posted:

but if you knock it over you can't burn your house down

Until someone kickstarts a device that helps you with that.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Araenna posted:

lmao I just said that all it does is cause pain for me, and therefore I would like it so I can light a candle and not hurt, and everyone is still going on as if the only people who would use it have advanced untreated Parkinson's or some poo poo. Lighting a candle being difficult because of arthritis or slight tremors doesn't make it more likely that you are going to knock it over or ,mean that you can't use a fire extinguisher. Just because someone can technically light a match or lighter doesn't mean that they wouldn't prefer to use something that makes it easier. Being disabled doesn't mean completely useless and unable to do anything, and or being too stupid to know more about what they are safely capable of than random internet people who apparently think all disabled people have the exact same limitations.

To clarify, you can't find a torch lighter that won't hurt to use? Because that's what this has to compete against, not matches and flick lighters, and slight tremors aren't a problem with the better flame you get.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

they're disabled not stupid

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

excuse me, disabled people, let me tell you why i, an abled person, think you don't know what it's like to live with a disability

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

they're disabled not stupid

Most people are stupid, disabled people are a subset of people, many disabled people are stupid.

There is nothing "ableist" about suggesting it's a bad idea to make it easier to start fires for people categorically unable to extinguish them. Just from a legal standpoint, if you market it that way you are going to lose your shirt in the inevitable lawsuits, marketing fire to people who can't possibly put it out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kharmakazy posted:

Most people are stupid, disabled people are a subset of people, many disabled people are stupid.

There is nothing "ableist" about suggesting it's a bad idea to make it easier to start fires for people categorically unable to extinguish them. Just from a legal standpoint, if you market it that way you are going to lose your shirt in the inevitable lawsuits, marketing fire to people who can't possibly put it out.

And then you get chained to a rock and an eagle eats your liver.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

And then you get chained to a rock and an eagle eats your liver.

A good description of what it’s like explaining to people that having a disability isn’t like a categorical prohibition on all normal activities.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kharmakazy posted:

A take so spicy I want to extinguish its source

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Kharmakazy posted:

If you want a vision of the future of the civil rights movement, imagine an old person clinging to their drivers license and shouting that its their right as an American to be a danger to themselves and to others forever.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dylan16807 posted:

To clarify, you can't find a torch lighter that won't hurt to use? Because that's what this has to compete against, not matches and flick lighters, and slight tremors aren't a problem with the better flame you get.

I'm well aware of the options for lighting candles, believe it or not. I'd rather set a candle down, something I have to do anyway, than have to squeeze a trigger. For me personally it's not a huge deal, but I know people with arthritis who absolutely would have as much trouble with a torch lighter as they do with a normal one. And while it might not be as big a problem if you have tremors, setting it down on that would be even less of a problem. Why, exactly, does it matter?

Kharmakazy posted:

TIL I cannot blow out a candle, or use a fire extinguisher. And neither can any person with arthritis, apparently. And that telling me I'm categorically unable to do so isn't discriminatory.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

From the video it looks like you need to use their special compatible candles, not just any candle. And I assume their candles cost three times as much as whatever scented candle you use now. That's probably why it is being marketed to the hip/lazy rather than the disabled.

Or just get this guy to light your candles for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPkcH0aIlo

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

From the video it looks like you need to use their special compatible candles, not just any candle. And I assume their candles cost three times as much as whatever scented candle you use now. That's probably why it is being marketed to the hip/lazy rather than the disabled.

Or just get this guy to light your candles for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPkcH0aIlo

Yes, but that doesn't make it not a good thing for disabled people. It just makes the people who made it douchebags for trying to rip them off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Araenna posted:

Yes, but that doesn't make it not a good thing for disabled people. It just makes the people who made it douchebags for trying to rip them off.

True. Though go into one of those store where everything is for the elderly or disabled and whoooo boy. I don't know if it's due to some supply and demand stuff, or just because they know many of their clients probably aren't good at shopping online or what, because those stores are crazy expensive.

https://www.amazon.ca/Relaxus-Flexible-Stocking-Without-Bending/dp/B00L2HXNWM
This is a thing what helps you put your socks on. I saw a similar one in a dedicated shop for like $60! Probably by next year someone will be selling one on kickstarter with bluetooth integration for $200.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Just get a dang Scentsy pot like a normal human being.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Araenna posted:

I'm well aware of the options for lighting candles, believe it or not. I'd rather set a candle down, something I have to do anyway, than have to squeeze a trigger. For me personally it's not a huge deal, but I know people with arthritis who absolutely would have as much trouble with a torch lighter as they do with a normal one. And while it might not be as big a problem if you have tremors, setting it down on that would be even less of a problem. Why, exactly, does it matter?

TIL I cannot blow out a candle, or use a fire extinguisher. And neither can any person with arthritis, apparently. And that telling me I'm categorically unable to do so isn't discriminatory.

If you can use an extinguisher then I'm explicitly not talking about you. That said, disabled literally means you aren't able to do some things. Saying people who can't do X thing aren't able to do X thing sure isn't discriminatory.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Relaxus-Flexible-Stocking-Without-Bending/dp/B00L2HXNWM
This is a thing what helps you put your socks on. I saw a similar one in a dedicated shop for like $60! Probably by next year someone will be selling one on kickstarter with bluetooth integration for $200.

Not without single-use DRM'd sock packs.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
i'm all for things that give the disabled avenues to enjoy a happy, successful and fulfilling life

but hear me out, if you can't operate a fire extinguisher maybe you shouldn't be able to drive a bulldozer

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
i am being not serious here in case it wasn't obvious (it wasn't)

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kharmakazy posted:

If you can use an extinguisher then I'm explicitly not talking about you. That said, disabled literally means you aren't able to do some things. Saying people who can't do X thing aren't able to do X thing sure isn't discriminatory.
You're not saying "People who can't use fire extinguishers can't use fire extinguishers." You're saying "People who are disabled can't use fire extinguishers." If that's not what you meant, I'd consider thinking a bit harder before typing. Especially since you think you were explicit about not including me in that, despite explicitly talking about all people who would use that candle, which explicitly includes me.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Araenna posted:

You're not saying "People who can't use fire extinguishers can't use fire extinguishers." You're saying "People who are disabled can't use fire extinguishers." If that's not what you meant, I'd consider thinking a bit harder before typing. Especially since you think you were explicit about not including me in that, despite explicitly talking about all people who would use that candle, which explicitly includes me.

At no point did I say that, and if you are going to argue against things you imagine I might have said we're going to have a bad time. Disability is a wide sweeping term, being dislexic obviously isn't going to impede your ability to use a fire extinguisher, and nobody is suggesting otherwise. If you can't use some facet of your body to light a candle with a match or lighter of some variety though, it's safe to say that operating a fire extinguisher is outside of your comfort zone since it's both heavier and requires more dexterity and effort. I can't imagine any scenario where that isn't true outside of your disability being "phobia of standing too close to fires".

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

At no point did I say that, and if you are going to argue against things you imagine I might have said we're going to have a bad time. Disability is a wide sweeping term, being dislexic obviously isn't going to impede your ability to use a fire extinguisher, and nobody is suggesting otherwise. If you can't use some facet of your body to light a candle with a match or lighter of some variety though, it's safe to say that operating a fire extinguisher is outside of your comfort zone since it's both heavier and requires more dexterity and effort. I can't imagine any scenario where that isn't true outside of your disability being "phobia of standing too close to fires".

Jesus Christ you Reddit "logic guy" types are exhausting

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

I've worked out what your disability is and it seems to make you unable to use computers safely so you're probably best to just stop posting.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Kharmakazy posted:

wish you would stand too close to a fire

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Personal insults aside, I never said "disabled people can't use fire extinguishers" because that would be silly. If you want to rail on me, I'm fine with that I would just prefer it be based on the merit of what I actually said. That said, I can see this is becoming a massive derail so you win, I'll just STFU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
There's like differences between having disability affect your dexterity or strength, and whether that effect is total inability, pain, etc. There's a lot of situations where disabled people would appreciate the candle! Without putting themselves in any danger. In general people are taking umbrage at you deciding that you're in a position to make sweeping statements without apparent understating of the actually practicalities of being disabled.
E: Also there's like the really weird thing of exactly how disabled does someone need to be before they're no longer allowed to decide what they can and can't do? Like do you get to decide that? When is it okay to strip away a person's basic autonomy?

is that good has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Oct 5, 2018