Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

It's gonna be a thing for like a few months and then be mostly forgotten until a different writer comes up with something incredibly cool or incredibly dumb that they thought was incredibly cool that requires hot claws.

It's going to be Wolverine's "The Other." Spider-Man's bone claws were given so little thought I think Peter David literally had a panel where Peter goes something like "Bone claws!? Eh, go with the flow!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

davebo posted:

Yeah yeah, I get that comics aren't real and everything, but how do the actual writers utilize this new power. Obviously now that Wolverine is back he's going to be cutting through lots and lots of stuff, but how is the reader to know he's cutting through something that he simply couldn't have before without these hot-rear end claws? Do they just say have him say "boy, I never could have cut through THAT with those super room temperature claws I had before"? It just seems like a new power that's going to be difficult to showcase, and without that ability they might just forget it in time.

Edit: woops, yeah basically what skwirl said

Easy. Now when Wolverine cuts off peoples' limbs he'll cauterize the wound, like a lightsaber would, so you can have dismemberment without huge gouts of blood on the page that get angry emails from parents.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Easy. Now when Wolverine cuts off peoples' limbs he'll cauterize the wound, like a lightsaber would, so you can have dismemberment without huge gouts of blood on the page that get angry emails from parents.

I see. Fortuitous then that we're having this conversation since they just revealed that they'll be pushing back the Dark Phoenix release, and putting Deadpool 2 back in theaters this December but edited for a PG-13 rating, so that Deadpool 3 can be made PG-13 under Disney. Clearly they can reboot the Wolverine series as PG or even G if the limbs he cuts off don't even bleed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

We're going to find out that Wolverine actually got his DNA spliced with Pete Wisdom, and he randomly pops hot knives in the shape of claws.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

Excalibur seems like Marvel's Legion of Super-Heroes, it's stuff that's THERE and has had impact but is kind of coralled in its own little brexited ghetto for the most part. I'm sure it also has fanatical devotees. (I'm one.)
I tried to get a set of Excalibur tpbs a few years back and just found some dumb Saturn-9 set that resolved the secret and mysterious worldshaking origins of THE WIDGIT and god drat do I wish I had read more of the actual run before I got to that :mad:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After listening to the Jay and Miles episodes about Excaliber, I went and read what I could, but its just way too weird and gimmicky for me.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

FilthyImp posted:

I tried to get a set of Excalibur tpbs a few years back and just found some dumb Saturn-9 set that resolved the secret and mysterious worldshaking origins of THE WIDGIT and god drat do I wish I had read more of the actual run before I got to that :mad:

I have the entire run of Excalibur from when it was still going and the Widget reveal is still the dumbest thing they ever did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Edmund Lava posted:

I have the entire run of Excalibur from when it was still going and the Widget reveal is still the dumbest thing they ever did.

It's like Kitty's mind inside of it or something?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

It's like Kitty's mind inside of it or something?

its DOFP-timeline Kathryn Pryde

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought it was dumb when I first read it but I dunno on rereads it feels like it makes sense, at least when Claremont or Davis is writing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rick posted:

I thought it was dumb when I first read it but I dunno on rereads it feels like it makes sense, at least when Claremont or Davis is writing.
Claremont and Davis had a shared sort of breathless-adventure energy which makes a lot of these things work - I'd actually say Davis was better at it since I think he was also significantly less horny, or at least channeled it better. The whole lighthouse/linchpin thing also meant that the hilarious weird random chance made more sense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine Davis probably picked up a few things when he worked with Alan Moore in the early 80s. Claremont was clearly influenced by Moore in any event; there's definitely a demarcation point in the early 80s X-Men where Claremont's writing changes and I think it's because he'd read Alan Moore's run on the Captain Britain stories in the various UK Marvel books. His early plans for Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants effectively amounted to an adaptation of the Jaspers Warp story arc (instead of the Marauders, the Morlocks were going to be killed by Nimrod combined with the Fury and then Jim Jaspers was going to be the arch-villain instead of the Adversary) and Excalibur was definitely paying tribute to those stories.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 2, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Claremont and Davis had a shared sort of breathless-adventure energy which makes a lot of these things work - I'd actually say Davis was better at it since I think he was also significantly less horny, or at least channeled it better. The whole lighthouse/linchpin thing also meant that the hilarious weird random chance made more sense.

It's interesting to read the Excalibur stuff that Davis wrote and drew later on. He's clearly having a ball with it. Nightcrawler trying to lead the Technet as the new Excalibur briefly is a delight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rick posted:

It's a way to resolve Widget's weird randomness and kind of justify it. I just wish I could have gotten the proper build-up to go "oh, okay, that's neat" instead of "the fuq, leave DOFP alone".
I only had about two issues of Excalibur growing up -- one where Widget tosses them through alt realities like 80s Exiles, where Giant-Man loses control of his... giantness? His shallow breaths cause atmospheric disturbances and he basically is confined to standing in the middle of the marianas trench lest he cause apocalyptic tidalwaves. That was cool.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edmund Lava posted:

But it was used to good effect in the Star Lord & Kitty Pryde Secret Wars mini.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting to read the Excalibur stuff that Davis wrote and drew later on. He's clearly having a ball with it. Nightcrawler trying to lead the Technet as the new Excalibur briefly is a delight.
The Technet loving own, I reckon, I was so glad to see them in that Rocket mini. I bet they're hard to draw and would slow down productions.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They were just in Mr & Mrs X, if you're looking out for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

I love how his take on Nightcrawler moves so far away from "scary-looking blue demon" to "Errol Flynn". :D

Seriously, all that silly poo poo like Nekrom (who looks like if Gollum had a baby with Piccolo from Dragon Ball) and the Anti-Phoenix is stuff I'm really into and would be down for seeing it come back.

Edit:

I mean, look at this - why aren't all comics like this all the time?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 2, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ah that's great. The top panel is one of my all time favorites in comics. Especially since everyone died/disappeared/went to their home planet off screen after that.

Is Alan Davis still doing stuff?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think he's reached the Art Adams phase of his career where he mostly does covers now with the occasional miniseries or graphic novel. Didn't he do a Thanos thing with Starlin fairly recently?

Edit: It's also nice that Davis came back to do the final issue's cover. I think one of my favourite things about Davis as an artist is that his characters often have these big bright Julia Roberts smiles. :D

(Interiors were Dale Eaglesham, who I think is a somewhat similar artist.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 2, 2018

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1047092843527983104?s=19

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's clearly Luke Skywalker.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So he was Cable all along.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

The Technet loving own, I reckon, I was so glad to see them in that Rocket mini. I bet they're hard to draw and would slow down productions.

I wanted to send Kelly Thompson flowers for putting them in Mr. & Mrs. X.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alan Davis rules and he drew Lockheed with loving sunglasses on you can't top that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Alan Davis rules and he drew Lockheed with loving sunglasses on you can't top that.

When's the last time Lockheed showed up in anything. I'll admit to not reading X-Men Gold where I think Kitty was the team leader, so mea culpa if he was the bride of honor at her cancelled wedding.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Skwirl posted:

When's the last time Lockheed showed up in anything. I'll admit to not reading X-Men Gold where I think Kitty was the team leader, so mea culpa if he was the bride of honor at her cancelled wedding.

Haven’t read it but apparently he was is the wedding issue. Before that he was on Lockjaws pet Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But was he wearing sunglasses?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Remember when Lockheed showed up in Astonishing X-Men and it was revealed he was actually the ambassador of an alien race, and I think it was suggested he had been taking advantage of Kitty's friendship for years to suit his own purposes? I don't recall if the second part was exactly what happened, but the first bit is definitely true and I have to admit, I wasn't really a huge fan. It's a harmless thing to add in, I guess, but not something I thought was very interesting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Lockheed showed up in Astonishing X-Men and it was revealed he was actually the ambassador of an alien race, and I think it was suggested he had been taking advantage of Kitty's friendship for years to suit his own purposes? I don't recall if the second part was exactly what happened, but the first bit is definitely true and I have to admit, I wasn't really a huge fan. It's a harmless thing to add in, I guess, but not something I thought was very interesting.

Knowing how much of a poo poo Whedon is now, the reveal that Lockheed was actually a sentient alien pretending to be the pet of a girl for years feels way more creepy in hindsight.

I forget, but did Whedon take over after Morrison on the X-Men? In some ways, Astonishing feels like a huge step back with mutant culture no longer getting any development. Or how they go back to being a superhero team when they were trying to focus more on teaching the kids and being mutant ambassadors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Astonishing was a new title which I think launched immediately after Morrison left. It had a lot of delays (largely due to Cassaday falling a bit behind on the art), and I believe one result was that House of M took place partway through its run and it had to continue on as if nothing had happened.

(To be clear, I think this was the right decision, but I believe this came at a time when Quesada was keen to emphasise the shared universe aspect, and this was basically the flagship X-Men book for a couple of years, so it's kind of funny.)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Astonishing was a new title which I think launched immediately after Morrison left. It had a lot of delays (largely due to Cassaday falling a bit behind on the art), and I believe one result was that House of M took place partway through its run and it had to continue on as if nothing had happened.

(To be clear, I think this was the right decision, but I believe this came at a time when Quesada was keen to emphasise the shared universe aspect, and this was basically the flagship X-Men book for a couple of years, so it's kind of funny.)

I remembered another funny thing about the delays. They were trying to hype up a "Today, one of the X-Men dies!" sort of thing for people to guess. Except the other X-Books kept running despite the delays, and Kitty was conspicuously absent in all of it. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first arc of ASX is all about a cure for the mutant gene. Then HoM wipes out all but 200 mutants and the arc feels totally pointless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lockheed being from an actually advanced race was made canon in - wait for it - Excalibur:

That he was secretly there to spy on Earth and use Kitty is definitely a Whedon thing.

(He did not wear sunglasses there, either.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did he speak in that issue? Warren Ellis had him speak and only to Pete Wisdom. So when he told everyone Lockheed talked they all thought he was crazy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

Lockheed being from an actually advanced race was made canon in - wait for it - Excalibur:

That would explain things because I have never read the Scott Lobdell fill-in issues of Excalibur.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Did he speak in that issue? Warren Ellis had him speak and only to Pete Wisdom. So when he told everyone Lockheed talked they all thought he was crazy.

Honestly if I remember right his race communicated through telepathy, at least in that issue. Whether it was species-only I can't recall.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I happened to prefer the whiskey drinking cantankerous bastard Lockheed from the S.W.O.R.D. series. Although I may be a bit biased...

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

All Lockheeds are beautiful. Even the one that hangs out at EPCOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I did just recall that Lockheed's race spoke (or thought, I guess) in rhyme. Do with that information what you will. I will continue to worry that it has replaced valuable knowledge. Did I once play the piano? I cannot be certain.