Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ddogflex posted:

I just built a new PC last week, and DQ XI was the first game I bought. HOLY poo poo IT'S PRETTY.

Anyone know if there is any downside to the orchestral mod? Seems like only positives?

The downside is that we have to mod it in due to the composer being a massive piece of poo poo who hopefully has to sit out DXII but he won't unless he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Your Parents posted:

lol. i actually already own 7 on 3ds and literally just bought 4 on my phone a week ago to play after I finish 11. Sounds like I'm on the right track, thanks!

Great! IV is fantastic and the addition of party talk really livens the character and world even more!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I just built a new PC last week, and DQ XI was the first game I bought. HOLY poo poo IT'S PRETTY.

Anyone know if there is any downside to the orchestral mod? Seems like only positives?

imo a lot of the tracks sound better, have more energy, and better fit the feel of the game when they're not orchestrated

I'm aware I'm in the minority here

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Evil Fluffy posted:

The downside is that we have to mod it in due to the composer being a massive piece of poo poo who hopefully has to sit out DXII but he won't unless he dies.

he’s going to live forever

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Someone will have to find and destroy his phylactery.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Tension loving sucked. Pep isn't much better, only a little better. I'd have preferred they gated the pep powers behind something less random in particular, considering how unique they were and how much work was obviously done on them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I prefer Pep because I liked the strategic gambling that goes into it. Do you immediately use a power or do you take advantage of the boost in stats for a couple of rounds? One of your characters is about to lose their pep and another just got it, do you immediately use a combo pep power or do you let it run out so the other guy can maybe chance it and combo with another pal's potential pep power

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

best part is when you know MC's pep is about to expire and you're ready to unleash a sick deathblow pep power and then BAM, a gust of wind ruins your perfect hair day

:discourse:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I don't miss tension at all, and I was glad to see it go. We didn't need it for the first 7 DQs and 8/9 would have been better without it, honestly. I never liked how certain fights were built around it, and the "challenge" added to compensate for the power of tension just felt artificial. There wasn't much in the way of imagination - generally just a bigger HP pool and/or a bunch of disruptive wave spam, which appeared WAY too often. To make it worse, in the fights that weren't ramped up to compensate for tension, it was a comically overpowered "I win" button.

Pep powers, on the other hand, feel more like fun little gadgets that you can throw out whenever one lines up - they can potentially give you a boost or save your rear end from a mistake, but you don't necessarily need them.*

* Except for certain side quests, and I think almost everyone agrees those quests were a bad idea.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Even still, I think a better compromise would be letting characters use the combos without pep, but having them be a massive MP sink without pep (with pep would still be free). This could even be to the tune of "All remaining MP" so that they'd be less useful at the start of battle, but could make for great desperation tactics or require very deliberate tactical decisions.

I know there's one combo that requires all MP, but this could have been modified, too (probably just make it do more damage at full MP or something, if it doesn't already).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

HPanda posted:

Even still, I think a better compromise would be letting characters use the combos without pep, but having them be a massive MP sink without pep (with pep would still be free). This could even be to the tune of "All remaining MP" so that they'd be less useful at the start of battle, but could make for great desperation tactics or require very deliberate tactical decisions.

I know there's one combo that requires all MP, but this could have been modified, too (probably just make it do more damage at full MP or something, if it doesn't already).

It does, that attack has (in every game it has been in) been "does a gently caress ton of damage, more damage per mp spent, but also uses up all mp".

My main use for it was auto wiping whatever round of of poo poo I found most annoying on Wheel of Harma using only 1 action.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

HPanda posted:

That sounds dumb, thank god you didn’t design this game

Edit: wait who gets Madante, Veronica?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 2, 2018

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Calaveron posted:

That sounds dumb, thank god you didn’t design this game

Edit: wait who gets Madante, Veronica?

I was under the impression Chrono Trigger was well regarded, and it used a similar system. Just without the pep-based freebie. So, maybe not dumb.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HPanda posted:

I was under the impression Chrono Trigger was well regarded, and it used a similar system. Just without the pep-based freebie. So, maybe not dumb.

On SA? No, people hate that game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

On SA? No, people hate that game

I think you're taking the ribbing and general criticism of the RPG thread too seriously.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finally decided to stop being stubborn and try out greatswords and uh this is kind of a huge step up

i know swords have always been The Best but they didn't need to nerf them quite this hard

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Yinlock posted:

finally decided to stop being stubborn and try out greatswords and uh this is kind of a huge step up

i know swords have always been The Best but they didn't need to nerf them quite this hard

Main problem with MC swords is that there really isn't a powerful single strike ability for swords like there is for greatswords (Cutting Edge and Unbridled Blade).

At least not until near very end game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Main problem with MC swords is that there really isn't a powerful single strike ability for swords like there is for greatswords (Cutting Edge and Unbridled Blade).

Falcon Slash
At any rate, at least they allow for shields but hero really shoulda had a shield tree

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Falcon Slash
At any rate, at least they allow for shields but hero really shoulda had a shield tree

Falcon Slash isn't as powerful an attack multiplier as Unbridled Blade.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Swords are more for AoE (you get pretty cheap options by the last third of act 2) and utility. The plot sword has a free status clear.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Tae posted:

Swords are more for AoE (you get pretty cheap options by the last third of act 2) and utility. The plot sword has a free status clear.

Ooomphle doesn't affect the AoE's though right? I've been using Gigagash, and I don't think Ooomphle has an affect.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Ooomphle doesn't affect the AoE's though right? I've been using Gigagash, and I don't think Ooomphle has an affect.

Gigagash scales off magical might I think

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know that DQ is a series that rides on nostalgia but really Sugiyama's work is getting worse and worse with each iteration they need to get some new blood in this and not someone that wants to ape on its style.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know that DQ is a series that rides on nostalgia but really Sugiyama's work is getting worse and worse with each iteration they need to get some new blood in this and not someone that wants to ape on its style.

I mean, it’s probably his last sine he’s 87 and like five years at least pass between games

But the day Toriyama or Horii leave us will suck

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
finally back to this game god the lonalulu story was so good, such a short but sweet story Is it actually possible to lie to Michelle?

also lmfao at the discussion of this game being too easy and Not Dragon Quest when this series is made for every single person in Japan above the age of ten to beat them

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

it also helps that there's an actual line of weapons for greatswords and not just "maybe 4-5 different ones in the entire game" as is usual with non-sword weapons for the hero

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What level are rab, jade, etc when they rejoin your group?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, I just beat Act 3 of DQXI at 111 hours and change. I completed all the sidequests, did all the Groundhog Day quests, finished the Wheel of Harma and the Trials of Drustan. I'm not usually that much of a completionist, but I wanted to do everything I could. (Except horse racing.)

That was a very satisfying ending, great credits, great after-credits scenes. It's very rare that I put this much time into a game, but this one was well worth it. So glad I played.

It's also the first DQ I've finished. My first was VII on the PS1, so it's taken a long, long time.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Expect My Mom posted:

also lmfao at the discussion of this game being too easy and Not Dragon Quest when this series is made for every single person in Japan above the age of ten to beat them
I didn't get it when people called 5 and 8 "too easy" and I don't get it now. Hell, this one gives you an optional mode that makes it the most difficult game in the series!

e: FWIW, the easiest DQ is still 6. You can become walking gods with that job system and just curb stomp the entire game in hilarious fashion.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 2, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fenrir posted:

I didn't get it when people called 5 and 8 "too easy" and I don't get it now. Hell, this one gives you an optional mode that makes it the most difficult game in the series!

e: FWIW, the easiest DQ is still 6. You can become walking gods with that job system and just curb stomp the entire game in hilarious fashion.

No way man, the easiest is 7 because it also has a job system but has even MORE broken stuff for you to get with it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Infinity Gaia posted:

No way man, the easiest is 7 because it also has a job system but has even MORE broken stuff for you to get with it.

I’m man enough to admit Alltrades Abbey kicked my rear end and stomped my balls

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I like pepping up a lot better than tension. Sure, the quests that require pep powers suck, and it is random, but I love that it functions as both a stat boost and a special attack that you can bottle up and save for later if you want. Someone here called it Trance (from FFIX) that was actually good, and that's a great comparison.

Expect My Mom posted:

finally back to this game god the lonalulu story was so good, such a short but sweet story Is it actually possible to lie to Michelle?
You can, and things turn out very differently. I think it's the only time in the game you can control how a story arc goes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't get folks problems with horse racing other then it's kinda dull. I never got worse than first place even on first runs of tracks because other racers just kinda give up halfway through most of the time.

Like grinding Mini-Medals for the last few things I needed was absurdly easy as I was getting 1 every minute.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Does anyone know if (Act 2 Final Boss Spoilers) Moredragon is the only one who can cast Zing in the second fight? I want to know if focusing on killing it ASAP is worthwhile or if the two halves will just revive each other regardless.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fortis posted:

Does anyone know if (Act 2 Final Boss Spoilers) Moredragon is the only one who can cast Zing in the second fight? I want to know if focusing on killing it ASAP is worthwhile or if the two halves will just revive each other regardless.

I killed the dragon first and the other half never revived it. I could have just gotten lucky but it took long enough that I doubt it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

What level are rab, jade, etc when they rejoin your group?

The same level you finished act1. But keep progressing the postgame main plot and they will get boosted back up to your level.

Fortis posted:

I never saw the Lord of Shadows cast zing after killing Mordragon first.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theblackw0lf posted:

When you dual wield falcon blades you don't need powerful single strike skills.

Fenrir posted:

Unlocking the job system comes right after a giant gently caress You difficulty spike of a boss fight though. Unless they nerfed that fight in the remakes. Because it was bullshit-tier difficult when I played it on SNES emulator.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mizuti posted:

You can, and things turn out very differently. I think it's the only time in the game you can control how a story arc goes.
oh gently caress whaaat

someone please spoil this for me

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Mizuti posted:

oh for real?? Agreed, plz spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got in first place in the bronze cup by the skin of my teeth.

I then see the Time To Beat is another 16 seconds *faster* than what I did.

Nope. You can gently caress right off with that poo poo game. Maybe if your horses controlled like mario kart.