Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if I wanted to do some more robot stomping after enjoying Vanilla what mods should I use?

Definitely the Inner Sphere map, Random Start, ones that convert it to freeplay sandbox.

I used Beagles list as a basis for LongWarrior, basically creating Roguetech-lite. Or RT-XL, I guess

https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/1001015727623622656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, the Linux version is available in the Steam beta list now

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just install roguetech and then manually delete the mod folders features you don't like. They work independently of each other for the most part.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Holy poo poo is there really no way to keep steam from updating this game?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Toozler posted:

Holy poo poo is there really no way to keep steam from updating this game?

This is true for all games on Steam.

HBS actually keeps old versions available -- right click on the game in the library, choose properties, and go to the Betas tab. Besides the actual betas there are old versions available. So you can play on 1.1.2 if you want and never update.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Klyith posted:

HBS actually keeps old versions available -- right click on the game in the library, choose properties, and go to the Betas tab. Besides the actual betas there are old versions available. So you can play on 1.1.2 if you want and never update.

Oh poo poo, didn't know that. You may have just made my on-hiatus-before-its-started let's play so much cleaner

Also a story-focused LP is totally coming. Goal was to get it done before Flashpoint, but we'll see

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

Oh poo poo, didn't know that. You may have just made my on-hiatus-before-its-started let's play so much cleaner

Also a story-focused LP is totally coming. Goal was to get it done before Flashpoint, but we'll see

This is a Paradox game now. LPs will never be finished before The Next Big Expansion comes and breaks the save.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

Did they just update the game or something? I don't see any later versions than 1.1.2, and I'm pretty sure that 1.1.2 wasn't the last version (tried loading it, its not the last version).

Something broke my mods ... again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Organ Fiend posted:

Did they just update the game or something?

Yeah, they put out a linux beta. So not exactly an update, probably just their versioning staying consistent across the two platforms.

quote:

I don't see any later versions than 1.1.2, and I'm pretty sure that 1.1.2 wasn't the last version (tried loading it, its not the last version).

1.2 is the most recent version. The suggestion of staying on 1.1.2 was for the guy who seemed very irritated that Steam was updating the game.

quote:

Something broke my mods ... again.

For people running RougeTech or some other auto-install mods, go to Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\Managed and run BattleTechModLoaderInjector.exe

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

For the first time since I've begun playing this game I have finally encountered a Stalker. I managed to score a lucky headshot and being able to tote 4xLRM15s into the fray is just the best.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Isn't 3 LRM-20 a better loadout? That lets you pull off 3 breaching shot salvos of 20 missiles each, every turn

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

For people running RougeTech or some other auto-install mods, go to Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\Managed and run BattleTechModLoaderInjector.exe

Thanks. Still not used to rerunning the BTML injector every time there's an update, so I forgot.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

GotLag posted:

Isn't 3 LRM-20 a better loadout? That lets you pull off 3 breaching shot salvos of 20 missiles each, every turn

Yes, you are correct.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
20-20-15-5 is also an option. Only slightly less effective on the third volley of your big breaching salvo, but you can also put 55 missiles into a single target while diverting a mere 5 to knock over something unsteadied by one of your other mechs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Breaching shot and LRMs are a meh combo in my opinion. You do full damage, but it scatters to multiple locations, and long-range shots are the least likely have side aspect that concentrates hits. Breach doesn't remove entrenched, so LRMs with low damage & high stab have the worst result there. (Plus splitting up your stab damage among multiple targets if using split+breach on a LRM boat.)

I'd much rather have high-damage single hit weapons with breaching. AC10s by preference, and breach is the one thing that makes PPCs decent (because you can snipe enemies while they're still in move+brace mode). Maybe a LRM thrown in as the 3rd option, but definitely not a boat. Keep the LRM boats for master tacticians with called shot bonuses.

OTOH in my new playthrough I currently have zero LRMs equipped on my main mechs. Partly because the stability update made headhunting with knockdowns tedious, partly because I've gotten jack poo poo for upgraded LRMs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

I'd much rather have high-damage single hit weapons with breaching. AC10s by preference, and breach is the one thing that makes PPCs decent (because you can snipe enemies while they're still in move+brace mode).

AC5s have the same range profile and practically the same damage as PPCs for a shitload less heat, even adjusting for the extra weight (which would theoretically go into heatsinks on a PPC fit).

PPCs are bad guns.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I thought breaching shot only worked on the first rocket of a salvo? Was that a bug?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Media Bloodbath posted:

I thought breaching shot only worked on the first rocket of a salvo? Was that a bug?

The whole salvo should work.

In RogueTech news, I think the Butterbee is one of my favorite mechs so far. The bonus damage to SRMs, combined with Deadfire ammo mean your regular SRM launchers are doing 23 damage a missile. Not too shabby when you are taking 4 SRM6 racks on it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

AC5s have the same range profile and practically the same damage as PPCs for a shitload less heat, even adjusting for the extra weight (which would theoretically go into heatsinks on a PPC fit).

PPCs are bad guns.

It would really be interesting if the Flashpoint expansion threw missions at you where you didn't get a chance to reload ammo in between.

e: or gave you a choice where you could only load X amount of ammo tonnage across your entire lance

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 30, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

PPCs are bad guns.

I use them when I've got ++ variants, but it does involve managing some heat. I guess the reason I'm more accepting of PPCs is that my preferred tactic is maneuver & alpha strike rather than bulwark & continuous damage, so I naturally have off turns anyways. Most of my mechs run hot. They can cool off when they're sprinting for cover! :v:

(Also I modded the EMP debuff to be slightly higher and stack 3 deep, which makes that part of the gun worth at least thinking about. Also makes shrecks very worth thinking about.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bubbacub posted:

It would really be interesting if the Flashpoint expansion threw missions at you where you didn't get a chance to reload ammo in between.

e: or gave you a choice where you could only load X amount of ammo tonnage across your entire lance

That situation would rather favor Large Lasers over both PPCs and AC5s: somewhat reduced range but much higher efficiency. Plus the LL+++ is already one of the best guns in the game.

OTOH I don't think it'd shake up SRM vs MLas balance any.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

GotLag posted:

I'll give that a shot just as soon as I salvage some LRM20+'s or manage to find a shop with them. My LRM15's are all + or ++.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think LRM15s are the most efficient in terms of heat/weight, while 20s will put out more overall damage and, like you said, work better with Breaching Shot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

3 LRM 20s are 30 tons, 4x 15s are 28 tons. Two extra tons of heat sinks or ammo is always good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ravenfood posted:

I think LRM15s are the most efficient in terms of heat/weight, while 20s will put out more overall damage and, like you said, work better with Breaching Shot.

20s are slightly more heat efficient than 15s. (By a massive 2 heat in the 3 20s vs 4 15s comparison.)

2 LRM 20s, 2 15s, 6 ammo, 6 heatsinks. If you're gonna boat, go hog wild.

VVVV edit: yes the weight advantage more than makes up for it in that application, and anywhere else that you're not constrained by hardpoints. but saying LRM15s are more heat efficient because you could use an extra heatsink is kinda dumb.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 1, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

20s are slightly more heat efficient than 15s. (By a massive 2 heat in the 3 20s vs 4 15s comparison.)

2 LRM 20s, 2 15s, 6 ammo, 6 heatsinks. If you're gonna boat, go hog wild.

3xLRM20 is 54 heat and 4xLRM15 is 56 heat.

But 3xLRM20 is 30 tons, while 4xLRM15 is 28 tons.

This makes LRM15s more efficient because you can devote the heatsinks (weight = heat is mech building 101).

The difference is then 3xLRM20 = 54 heat vs 4xLRM15 = 50 heat.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
i turned up the encounter difficulty and holy gently caress I am getting DECIMATED. I'm at the stage where I've only collected two extra mechs, I just lost glitch, behemoth and decker to a mission where I fought a black knight, a quickdraw, a griffin, a blackjack, two locusts, an enforcer and a firestarter. holy poo poo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

i turned up the encounter difficulty and holy gently caress I am getting DECIMATED. I'm at the stage where I've only collected two extra mechs, I just lost glitch, behemoth and decker to a mission where I fought a black knight, a quickdraw, a griffin, a blackjack, two locusts, an enforcer and a firestarter. holy poo poo.

I played a max difficulty campaign AMA.

Are you used the reworked skill trees beta?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The dude that transferred over the Warhams and the Maurader models from MWO has now completed the PHawk. I am not really a huge fan of this iteration, but more mediums is always a good thing in my book.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/266

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

The dude that transferred over the Warhams and the Maurader models from MWO has now completed the PHawk. I am not really a huge fan of this iteration, but more mediums is always a good thing in my book.

Unlike MWO, the PHX should be fantastic in this game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Phrosphor posted:

You can't fool me, the moment I see that onscreen I'm going to select it and order it to build a mass extractor and an air factory.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

d-gun click click click

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

General Battuta posted:

You can't fool me, the moment I see that onscreen I'm going to select it and order it to build a mass extractor and an air factory.

holy poo poo you're right

There aren't any other fast 45-tonners, are there? PHX should be p. good for the early game

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I've done a few hard encounter difficulty campaigns (also with salvage parts set to 5, and CT perma-destruction).

I ran into the same issue. You need to play the campaign slower. Don't rush for the high-star missions as quickly. Also, don't be afraid to withdraw if things go sideways. Losing some reputation is better than loosing a medium or two at that stage of the game. I've had 2 skull missions where 2 full lances of mediums show up. This isn't a constant for 2 skull missions (usually 2 skull is fine if you have a full lance of mediums), but it is on the edge of the normal variation for those missions. I just withdraw those.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

I use them when I've got ++ variants, but it does involve managing some heat. I guess the reason I'm more accepting of PPCs is that my preferred tactic is maneuver & alpha strike rather than bulwark & continuous damage, so I naturally have off turns anyways. Most of my mechs run hot. They can cool off when they're sprinting for cover! :v:

(Also I modded the EMP debuff to be slightly higher and stack 3 deep, which makes that part of the gun worth at least thinking about. Also makes shrecks very worth thinking about.)

I just modded mine to 30 heat. In the context of AC10s, LLs, and AC5s, they're perfectly balanced at comparable rarity levels.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A.o.D. posted:

Unlike MWO, the PHX should be fantastic in this game.

Like, for multiplayer? In SP seems like it might be cool as a scout medium, but giving up a point of initiative makes it harder to do some of the fun tricks you can do with a Jenner. If you're using the goon evasion mod that would definitely help.

I kinda want it just for the variety. One thing I've noticed in mediums is how same-y they all are. All the 55 ton mechs move the same speed, have the same free space, just different weapon arrangements. Same thing with 50s except for the trenchbucket. It's canon but it's dumb. Talking to a friend who knows the boardgame, I see how this is an artifact of battletech's rather coarse build rules, where a lot of potential variety is squashed by stair-steppy systems with obvious "right choice" results. It's too bad that in this game, with it's much more analog movement, didn't break from cannon just a tiny bit to make some more variety.

Anyways looking at the various bugs and wack things that all of these modded-in MWO exports have makes me a bit hesitant.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Wow, I just had a really rude 2 skull mission early game, met two Hunchback 4P's, two Wolverines, two Panthers, one Vindicator and a Jenner, all in three turns because the enemy spawned reinforcements right next to the enemy group and they're all camping in the middle of a big forest.

I feel a bit overwhelmed considering I have the starter lance + a Jenner i was able to take out, didn't even know they spawned so many Mediums in a battle this early, I haven't even done the prison mission yet!

I could have won if they hadn't all been there at the same time but all that firepower at the same time while they're hiding in forests just made it too drat hard to get rid of any mechs before my team got smashed.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Pattonesque posted:

holy poo poo you're right

There aren't any other fast 45-tonners, are there? PHX should be p. good for the early game

In MekHQ it's hands down the best mech for adverse weather, low visibility and heavy terrain, esp. if you change its armament to something sensible. More than half my kills in that game were made by phoenix hawks.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Koorisch posted:

Wow, I just had a really rude 2 skull mission early game, met two Hunchback 4P's, two Wolverines, two Panthers, one Vindicator and a Jenner, all in three turns because the enemy spawned reinforcements right next to the enemy group and they're all camping in the middle of a big forest.

I feel a bit overwhelmed considering I have the starter lance + a Jenner i was able to take out, didn't even know they spawned so many Mediums in a battle this early, I haven't even done the prison mission yet!

I could have won if they hadn't all been there at the same time but all that firepower at the same time while they're hiding in forests just made it too drat hard to get rid of any mechs before my team got smashed.

One of the nice things about Battletech is that you can run away from an overwhelming mission like that and not be hosed too badly. Bailing with your mechs and pilots intact is always a better option than getting shitwrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kiva was tweeting that they spent the whole weekend adding flashpoints to the game. I am excited (shame my motherboard failed a week ago :( ).