Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

akadajet posted:

yeah, c# is totally a hipster lang

well microsoft *is* cool again, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Thermopyle posted:

You're talking to programmers here

not with uml you’re not

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

yeah, c# is totally a hipster lang

dotnet core is c# for hipsters. like graal. maybe too long after go to pick up any of the "i need somehing that runs on linux and is fast and IS NOT JAVA NEVER JAVA" crowd but that doesnt change what it is

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

dotnet core is c# for hipsters. like graal. maybe too long after go to pick up any of the "i need somehing that runs on linux and is fast and IS NOT JAVA NEVER JAVA" crowd but that doesnt change what it is

alternatively: we have a bunch of c# developers but we need this to run on linux servers because lol at using windows server

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

alternatively: we have a bunch of c# developers but we need this to run on linux servers because lol at using windows server

but tco

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

.net can do tco easily though, unlike the jvm where there’s no invoketail instruction yet

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

dotnet core is c# for hipsters
too bad the entire dotnet open source community still seems to consist of approximately seven people

that alone is reason enough to stay on the jvm (and maven and intellij of course)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the quoted terms right there say you can use oracle jdk to develop your commercial application, which is probably the only thing you'd be doing with a win32 or macos build of the jdk

if you add a jdk to a server image to actually deploy your commercial application it's gonna be openjdk by default

if you really want oracle jdk installed on a server then that's not something you can easily accomplish by accident since no package manager ships it

and if you have a commercial java gui application then you deserve all the pain and suffering that entails anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I know nothing about Java, so forgive my ignorance.

Is OpenJDK a viable alternative to regular JDK? If not, why?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I know nothing about Java, so forgive my ignorance.

Is OpenJDK a viable alternative to regular JDK? If not, why?

it used to just be entirely viable to the point where most people didn't know about the (granted, cool and useful) additions in the oracle jdk

as part of this relicensing change oracle open-sourced those remaining bits however, so now openjdk is 1:1 the same as the oracle jdk. the one difference you may notice is that oracle only provides the windows/mac openjdk as a tarball, the branded installer is just for oracle jdk

right at this moment the changes really look like a win for the open-source side of java, we'll see if oracle now intends to redifferentiate their own jdk from openjdk, but there seems to be no reason to make the last very large contributions in that case (and the product manager blog goes "From Java 11 forward, therefore, Oracle JDK builds and OpenJDK builds will be essentially identical.")

so i think they are just intending to make the oracle jdk the rhel to the openjdks centos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i used to work for a company with a commercial java gui program

they were paying for a sun support contract anyway, i assume that’s still the case

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I don’t see how this is a problem for gui programs. isn’t the idea that you will use jigsaw to make a cut-down openjdk that you will then bundle with your app? or is there some way that will require you to open source everything?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

I don’t see how this is a problem for gui programs. isn’t the idea that you will use jigsaw to make a cut-down openjdk that you will then bundle with your app? or is there some way that will require you to open source everything?

i *think* it is people running with the idea that windows and macos users will just accidentally run the oracle jdk installer rather than seek out openjdk, it is a bit of a confusing lens to view things through though

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Sagacity posted:

too bad the entire dotnet open source community still seems to consist of approximately seven people

that alone is reason enough to stay on the jvm (and maven and intellij of course)

the army of contributors employed by microsoft reduces the necessity to depend on random third parties for basic functionality. that's a feature, not a bug.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Fiedler posted:

random third parties for basic functionality

god forbid you need anything beyond a basic rest api

at least the army of contributors made sure the csproj format is now really trivial, you don't even need to include any guids anymore!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i *think* it is people running with the idea that windows and macos users will just accidentally run the oracle jdk installer rather than seek out openjdk, it is a bit of a confusing lens to view things through though

yeah but the idea is you bundle an openjdk in your app and end users will never install java themselves, so this would only affect commercial apps if they’re really dumb and made by companies without legal departments or w/e

unless there’s some poison pill in the openjdk license, but I think the classpath exception covers this kind of thing?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sagacity posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

yeah but the idea is you bundle an openjdk in your app and end users will never install java themselves, so this would only affect commercial apps if they’re really dumb and made by companies without legal departments or w/e
Yeah I think java has moved in the same direction as a lot of other programming languages recently and end users aren't supposed to have a single global runtime installed anymore?

I think that was one of the motivations for jigsaw.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Sagacity posted:

god forbid you need anything beyond a basic rest api

at least the army of contributors made sure the csproj format is now really trivial, you don't even need to include any guids anymore!

give an example of what you're missing

also, csproj file format didn't ever matter before linux users wanted to write c# without having the proper tools (visual studio)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Yeah I think java has moved in the same direction as a lot of other programming languages recently and end users aren't supposed to have a single global runtime installed anymore?

I think that was one of the motivations for jigsaw.

more like it has never been sane to deploy an app to a user's computer depending on a system JRE

even intellij bundles a JRE now and you can't even use intellij without cj'ing JDKs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

more like it has never been sane to deploy an app to a user's computer depending on a system JRE

even intellij bundles a JRE now and you can't even use intellij without cj'ing JDKs

yeah, we don’t bundle a jre and literally half our support calls are resolved by getting people to replace their random old jre with the latest oracle java 8. it’s bad. it was just about ok for the long java 5/6 years but no way it’s viable today

luckily we’re finally able to update to modern java so bundling openjdk 11 is just round the corner!

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was never a good idea, but I think Oracle encouraged it because until they finally killed the browser plugin they needed people to have system installations in order to not break lovely websites made by idiots who were still using applets (possibly a surprising amount of enterprise software?)

Edit: In comparison, Microsoft is only just starting the process of moving away from system installations of .net in the form of .net core, and it's not even going to be possible to make desktop applications using .net core until the next version comes out.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 2, 2018

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
i wrote some dotnet on os x in rider recently and bundled it in a linux docker thing. it was a surprisingly nice experience

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Destroyenator posted:

i wrote some dotnet on os x in rider recently and bundled it in a linux docker thing. it was a surprisingly nice experience

dont forget to pick a spot in the dotnet core deadpool

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soricidus posted:

yeah, we don’t bundle a jre and literally half our support calls are resolved by getting people to replace their random old jre with the latest oracle java 8. it’s bad. it was just about ok for the long java 5/6 years but no way it’s viable today

luckily we’re finally able to update to modern java so bundling openjdk 11 is just round the corner!

But 'write once run anywhere' :ohdear:

I mean if you're shipping your own JRE for every platform you support you might as well write your GUI app in native code with Qt or something and be smaller, faster and less of a memory hog. What's a VM even buying you, really?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

feedmegin posted:

I mean if you're shipping your own JRE for every platform you support you might as well write your GUI app in native code with Qt or something and be smaller, faster and less of a memory hog. What's a VM even buying you, really?

god there are some amazing takes today.

yeah, why the hell would anyone just slot in a completely 1:1 compatible open source replacement runtime when they could plunge millions of dollars and years of development effort into rewriting the whole thing in loving c++

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

carry on then posted:

god there are some amazing takes today.

yeah, why the hell would anyone just slot in a completely 1:1 compatible open source replacement runtime when they could plunge millions of dollars and years of development effort into rewriting the whole thing in loving c++

I mean in a wider conceptual sense I guess. Yeah, if you already have your Java GUI app then I agree, it's just funny to me because Java's whole initial selling point back in the 90s was specifically not having to do this thing.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

feedmegin posted:

I mean in a wider conceptual sense I guess. Yeah, if you already have your Java GUI app then I agree, it's just funny to me because Java's whole initial selling point back in the 90s was specifically not having to do this thing.

mehhhhhhhh. having to find and distribute some kind of jre per platform is a different difficulty from having to build your software per platform

depending on the platform and the jres on offer, sometimes the former is easier, sometimes the latter?

mystes
May 31, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Luckily, the makers of QT have thought of this and they have rolled out QT Quick to resolve the situation by making QT not be fast, unbloated native code any more.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 2, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Soricidus posted:

I presume there are a lot of dumb companies that only test on Oracle JRE & JDK and haven't noticed that OpenJDK has existed and been the primary JVM for a while. Oracle can happily ring up the register.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

over beers my team had the thought exercise of "what if we had to leave the jvm"

elixir was probably the leading replacement candidate which would be really interesting as much as i like c#

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hell yeah come be friends on the erlang vm

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
posting on the oceans blue page

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
elixir feels like one of those things that will die soon

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

prisoner of waffles posted:

posting on the oceans blue lovely italian rapes and pillages some real nice places page

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

prisoner of waffles posted:

posting on the oceans blue lovely italian rapes and pillages some real nice places and never actually landed or even saw North America page

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

redleader posted:

elixir feels like one of those things that will die soon

too closely related to erlang, which is not about to die

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

But how can something die if it hasn't had a chance to be born

animist
Aug 28, 2018
things are heating up in the rust parsing community

Adbot