Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

Laid Back Camp is a show about a group of girls enjoying camping in the wintertime. It turns out that it's fun to camp by yourself, but it's also fun to camp as a group sometimes too.

Girls und Panzer is a show about a bunch of high school girls who have to put together a tank combat team to compete in high school girls tank combat to save their school. It's got some intense tank action scenes, but also plenty of girls discovering friendship and tanks.

Yuru Camp is Laid Back Camp fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

content posted:

Lookin' for more cute feel-good girly anime.

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Preferably not super fan servicey.

People have already recommended several of the best ones but Hidamari Sketch will always have a special place in my heart.

Also consider Non Non Biyori and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 3, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

content posted:

Lookin' for more cute feel-good girly anime.

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Preferably not super fan servicey.

Nobody mentioning Aria: The Animation & sequels? A shameful subforum.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

polar bear cafe, though it's mostly anime animals rather than anime girls

and the animals are, pertinent to op's question, mostly men

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Amanchu! was a good time. There's a 2nd season, but I haven't watched it. Season 1 is a super banging, grade-a cute, feel-good girly anime, tho'.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

and the animals are, pertinent to op's question, mostly men

OP should read Lone Wolf and Cub, which is filled entirely with men, they're all ugly, and everyone is miserable. But it's basically what they're asking for

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
probably don't watch the second season of amanchu

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Amanchu! was a good time. There's a 2nd season, but I haven't watched it. Season 1 is a super banging, grade-a cute, feel-good girly anime, tho'.

I very much suggest you never watch the second season of Amamchu. It is, quite the opposite of a feel-good anime.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The second season of Amanchu was good. It has problems towards the end if you're particularly invested in Pikari/Teko romantically but it's still just as sweet and feel-good as the first season otherwise

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

probably don't watch the second season of amanchu

Julias posted:

I very much suggest you never watch the second season of Amamchu. It is, quite the opposite of a feel-good anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spoil it for me why the second season is bad

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking it has to do with the little tidbit Knorth provided. I still intend to watch it sometime down the road, but now I'm gonna even out my expectations of it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

OP should read Lone Wolf and Cub, which is filled entirely with men, they're all ugly, and everyone is miserable. But it's basically what they're asking for

Lone Wolf and Cub implicitly praises women, beauty and peacefulness by explicitly portraying a world filled with ugly violent men as miserable, thus fitting OP's criteria

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

Spoil it for me why the second season is bad

Tl;dr: It's homophobic in its portrayl of romance, whether it intends to be or not, amongst other gross aspects.

It's a slap in the face to anybody out there watching the show, especially if they got drawn in because they heard the first season was pretty gay.

It's doubly gross because the boy is a loving 12 year old kid, his feelings on love aren't gonna be the same as an adults, or even an older teen, and the portrayal of this the show by the characters very much says 'oh, gay love isn't as valid as straight love', which, is loving garbage

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub implicitly praises women, beauty and peacefulness by explicitly portraying a world filled with ugly violent men as miserable, thus fitting OP's criteria

I realized after making the post that the better joke would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes but I'm not a coward who edits his posts

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Knorth posted:

The second season of Amanchu was good. It has problems towards the end if you're particularly invested in Pikari/Teko romantically but it's still just as sweet and feel-good as the first season otherwise

imo invalidating a major character relationship to the point of having one of those characters state that their feelings towards someone are explicitly less than a little kid having a crush on the same person kind of destroys any sweet or feel-good note i could possibly take out of it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I realized after making the post that the better joke would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes but I'm not a coward who edits his posts

I'll complete the joke by recommending they watch Symphogear

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Saying she doesn't love Pikari romantically isn't saying it's lesser, what on earth. I remember her wording in that one scene being pretty iffy though so I understand being put off if you're were particularly invested like I said

Julias posted:

It's doubly gross because the boy is a loving 12 year old kid, his feelings on love aren't gonna be the same as an adults, or even an older teen, and the portrayal of this the show by the characters very much says 'oh, gay love isn't as valid as straight love', which, is loving garbage

This feels disingenuous though, the crush is barely a subplot let alone something that's championed by the show. It's a girl being indulgent to a kid with a crush on her friend

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll admit my takeaway is fairly strong and not everyone will see it that way, but I feel that the fact that many people did take away similar feelings says a lot about how the situation was framed.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Someone post the quotes again so I can decide whether to condemn Amanchu S2 to death

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, now I kinda want to watch it to see what's up, because this thread is sending mixed signals like a malfunctioning delay going through a Mark V and an AC-30, so now I don't know what the gently caress.

e: I mean, it still reads extremely poorly, but to go from one of the best received shows in 2016 to making GBS threads the bed so badly, I'm almost kinda morbidly curious.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 3, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
First half of Amanchu S2 was perfectly fine. I watched through the end of the Peter Pan subplot and dropped it after that, though. Not because I don't like magical realism - far from it! But it just seemed to be spinning its wheels - it spent three episodes on what ended up feeling like a total nothing of a payoff.

S1 is really excellent though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I also just kinda stopped watching season 2 in the middle of it and that was that. Adored the first tho.

Really though, I came to say that of everything recommend so far, I want to give another bump to A Place Farther Than the Universe. Because that show is likely to be not only my favorite of the year, but also one of my new all time favorites ever.

content
Feb 13, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

I'll complete the joke by recommending they watch Symphogear

I started watching g symphogear purely based on the fact that everyone in these forums loving name drops it constantly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Symphogear is really good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Symphogear is really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ghost Hound!

man ghost hounds first like 9 eps are some 10/10 stuff but id say everything after that is so awful i wouldn’t recommend to anyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Knorth posted:

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Knorth posted:

This feels disingenuous though, the crush is barely a subplot let alone something that's championed by the show. It's a girl being indulgent to a kid with a crush on her friend
she literally says she'll help him with his dumb crush and then goes out of her way to downplay her feelings compared to his

s1 of the anime was blatantly framed as romantic (admittedly the manga was not so heavy on this framing, but we're talking about the anime here) between the two leads, so in that context, yes, it is extremely hosed up

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just binge read Grand Blue over a day and watched the anime over another. Are there other series about whacky university hijinks out there? Seems most stuff is high-school-based.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ibblebibble posted:

I just binge read Grand Blue over a day and watched the anime over another. Are there other series about whacky university hijinks out there? Seems most stuff is high-school-based.

Moyashimon!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should probably have mentioned that I found that the funniest bits were the guys being absolute bastards to each other :v: Yes, I have already watched Konosuba.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

got a friend with an ask that has me kind of stumped. anyone know any animes/mangas that feature a world/living space entirely made out of metal? he said that aposimz is the closest thing he's found to what he's looking for. he's an artist and is trying to find different examples of that kind of stuff.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

got a friend with an ask that has me kind of stumped. anyone know any animes/mangas that feature a world/living space entirely made out of metal? he said that aposimz is the closest thing he's found to what he's looking for. he's an artist and is trying to find different examples of that kind of stuff.

You probably already know since it's by the same author as Aposimz, but the first thing that comes to mind is Blame! both the manga and movie.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Planet Tuffle from Dragon Ball GT :twisted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

i feel like theres at least a few worlds like this in space adventure cobra

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

you may want to take a look at Run with the Wind that's airing this season

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Galaxy Express 999, have him watch the films even though I'm sure there are tons of planets like that in the show

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

The Tatami Galaxy and The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl are my favorite college stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Genshiken is about a college anime club. Some of the gags are kinda rooted in early 2000s anime fandom with less of the edges filed off (they mention weird hentai at least once an episode) and the series basically starts out good, gets really good, then kind of slowly tapers off even if there's still some decent material, but the character development is pretty strong and there's some really good back and forths.

Also they use actual guilty gear gameplay footage a ton so it has that going for it.