Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

Invite sent. Anyone can invite now.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

So it looks like after the opening ceremony, the first game on the main Mythic stage this Blizzcon is Diablo.

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule#fri-nov-2

This should be interesting. Anything but D4 is going to break the internet, so that's what I'm expecting (surprise: Druid for D3!).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
D4 is like a billion bucks they can just print for themselves, idk why on earth they haven't already made it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

So it looks like after the opening ceremony, the first game on the main Mythic stage this Blizzcon is Diablo.

This should be interesting. Anything but D4 is going to break the internet, so that's what I'm expecting (surprise: Druid for D3!).

Don't tease me like this Blizzard :ohdear:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yeah D4 confirmed.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 3, 2018

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
There's only 2 panels for Diablo. If D4 were being announced you'd think there would be more. Maybe the schedule is incomplete.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Will Styles posted:

There's only 2 panels for Diablo. If D4 were being announced you'd think there would be more. Maybe the schedule is incomplete.

That's absolutely my bet, iirc they did the same thing with overwatch to the point they had 2 versions of the key art, 1 without tracer and 1 with that they replaced everything with after the main announcement

otoh I could be completely wrong and they have absolutely nothing but those two panels, guess we'll see

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Don't kill me for this, but I'm half serious:

D3 mobile incoming

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

iirc their new diablo job offers implied a big game, though they had something else on mobile

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Diablo 1 and 2 remaster on the D3 engine.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fuzz posted:

Diablo 1 and 2 remaster on the D3 engine.

The most depressing, and therefore most likely outcome

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dameius posted:

There is a UE DH build that gets you up to 400% movespeed. Use that.

Tried this, it's still pretty tricky to get it in time. Took me 2 tries. First, finding Adria hosed me pretty good (same on 2nd run, too). Died to Malthael on the second run but still managed to get them all in 19:xx. Was pretty tight. I added Krelm's belt for the 2nd run and got rid of one of the movement speed skills (the 30% one) for more consistent speed.

DrSeRRoD posted:

Hoping for D4 vs new class/expansion/etc for D3. Hopefully they announce it this year but it'll still be like a 2020 release at best, knowing Blizzard.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 3, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Man it feels too soon for D4 but then I realize I’ve been playing this drat game for 6 years.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
There was a rumor a while ago that the next Diablo would actually be a single set protagonist done over the shoulder style. A "Diablo Souls" kind of deal.

That would be kind of cool but I feel like they would have to slow down the gameplay of Diablo a lot for that to happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That sounds dumb as hell imho

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Don't kill me for this, but I'm half serious:

D3 mobile incoming

I still stand by my guess from July:

Kheldarn posted:

Diablo Auto Battler Gacha for Android/iOS.

Possibly with some Idle/Tapper stuff worked in, too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

exquisite tea posted:

That sounds dumb as hell imho

Agreed. There's already plenty of good (and not-so-good) Souls-likes, but Diablo is still The ARPG (no, PoE is not good, go away). It'd be a waste if they significantly changed the series' focus, IMO.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The biggest milestone for the planned D4 from years and years ago was to have the entire world be one continuous thing. Fast travel would be there, but you'd be able to walk from one end to the other, which D3 already comes decently close to for Acts 1-3, at least.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It’s gonna be an mmo called world of diablo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ehud posted:

It’s gonna be an mmo called world of diablo

This is also highly possible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kheldarn posted:

This is also highly possible.

It really isn’t. MMOs are a dead genre, with a couple survivors trudging on through inertia. They aren’t going back to that well when there are far more profitable alternatives that require a fraction of the upkeep.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's going to be a lootbox game.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If it is like Overwatch style, I'd rather not, but can live with it. Plus, with countries banning loot boxes and EA poisoning the well, I could see them not go the loot box route.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It’s gonna be a battle royale called diablo: survivors of tristram

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dameius posted:

If it is like Overwatch style, I'd rather not, but can live with it. Plus, with countries banning loot boxes and EA poisoning the well, I could see them not go the loot box route.

On the other hand they are a business and they like money

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not saying they won't monetize it, just the specific method of monetization could go either way. The cosmetic store they have in China makes them poo poo loads of money too and could be a model for monetizing D4.

If I had to guess what they'd go with, I'd say Overwatch style loot boxes until they were forced to, by law, go with something else.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dameius posted:

If I had to guess what they'd go with, I'd say Overwatch style loot boxes until they were forced to, by law, go with something else.

Yeah the overwatch and HOTS boxes are basically the same so I see them using that formula

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Diablo 4 will just be a clicker game. Since they don't understand how to make an arpg anymore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

The most depressing, and therefore most likely outcome

'and we've brought jay wilson back to implement the monetization and microtransactions.'

E: In Jay Wilson news, I looked up what happened to him recently and he got driven out of the games industry. Apparently torpedoing blizz's flagship IP is not good for your career prospects.

Also looking back at D2 era Blizzard is a trip: they were king poo poo that had literally done no wrong SC was the heart of a hot esports scene and for a couple summers teen pregnancy was artificially depressed by all the teens staying inside playing D2. D2's impact vastly eclipsed SC and it's why D3 still sold an insane amount of copies (3.5 million in 24 hours). D3 was literally their first failure

Holyshoot posted:

Diablo 4 will just be a clicker game. Since they don't understand how to make an arpg anymore.

I like the current state of D3 for the most part, but after the first 6 hours of the season that's basically what it becomes.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 3, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I hope they go controller support for PC, whatever they do.

Having played D3 on a PS4 with a gamepad, holy poo poo gently caress clicking forever. I still have carpal tunnel nightmares from D2, D3 is sublime with a controller.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can’t really call D3 a failure when it’s in the top 10 most sold games of all time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bust Rodd posted:

You can’t really call D3 a failure when it’s in the top 10 most sold games of all time

Diablo 3 of launch and Diablo 3 post RoS are very very different things.

D3 was absolutely a failure at launch.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

For Blizzard it was at the time, not so much because of sales numbers but because of the negative reaction to it, they were pretty much untouchable till D3 came out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Still hilarious that it got delayed for a year because it wasn't fun and released in the state it did

Herstory Begins Now posted:

E: In Jay Wilson news, I looked up what happened to him recently and he got driven out of the games industry. Apparently torpedoing blizz's flagship IP is not good for your career prospects.

While possible, I guarantee that "dealing directly with the worst the blizzard playerbase as a whole has to offer" will do a pretty good job of making you never wanting to do game development regardless of your job prospects. It's a lovely job with long hours and low pay compared to doing the same job for a corporate entity, with "passion for games" and "knowing you're making people happy" generally being the two big reasons people stick around. Given the reception of D3, I'd be Surprised if many of the people involved at any level were still in games, that poo poo had to have been soul-sucking.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Last I saw, he left to be a fantasy author, not some sweet corporate management position.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish they would add a true endless dungeon/survival mode to Diablo 4.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A grift with infinite floors. If you TP out it closes. If you die it closes. Every floor increases GR difficulty by 1. Every 5 floors is a RG.

Leaderboard records on the completion of a floor and counts total run time for tie breakers.

Non-ladder mode is regular loot piñatas. Every RG is a gem roll or whatever.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 3, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

It's sales figures were great, but it was absolutely a colossal failure on every other level and it destroyed blizz's rep as an untouchable behemoth of game design that can do no wrong. Jay wilson was straight up run out of the games industry for it.

And the sales figures were great only because of the incredible strength of the Diablo IP after D1/2 and blizz's rep as an untouchable behemoth of game design that could do no wrong.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dameius posted:

A grift with infinite floors. If you TP out it closes. If you die it closes. Every floor increases GR difficulty by 1. Every 5 floors is a RG.

Leaderboard records on the completion of a floor and counts total run time for tie breakers.

Non-ladder mode is regular loot piñatas. Every RG is a gem roll or whatever.

That sounds fun in theory until you remember how boring doing the first 40-70 floors will always be, and why they moved away from the old "keyed GRs" where a rift key was attuned to a level and you had to level the key up every. single. time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bust Rodd posted:

Also worth noting is not many mainly-single-player-games still have dev support and content updates/platform ports 6 years after the fact. D3 had a huge glut of "it's a diablo" sales on the strength of D2 but it's probably got one of the longest long tails of any non-MMO game