Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

absolutely anything posted:

it is, if you were a True Nintendo Fan and got the 3ds early enough to get the ambassador program games

The fact that stuff isn’t available to everyone is the most Nintendo poo poo ever. There’s no downside to selling it now, instead of restricting it to people who bought a 3DS when people didn’t want one. They love their artificial scarcity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If they ever sell it then they have broken their promise to early adopters, that's the downside

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact that stuff isn’t available to everyone is the most Nintendo poo poo ever. There’s no downside to selling it now, instead of restricting it to people who bought a 3DS when people didn’t want one. They love their artificial scarcity.
They're Bad and aren't worth money OP

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they were worth about $80

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Al Borland Korn posted:

If they ever sell it then they have broken their promise to early adopters, that's the downside

I can't imagine anyone would be offended or truly consider it a broken promise at this point, 7+ years down the line.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have you seen Nintendo fans??

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Al Borland Korn posted:

I feel I've gotten about $80 worth of smugness from telling everyone I know that I own the ambassador games on account of being an early adopter.

Including you guys now. :smug:

Edit: Of course I also tell people how poo poo the lineup was for about two years after the system launched and what a terrible idea it was to get one back then.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 28, 2018

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I feel I've gotten about $80 worth of smugness from telling everyone I know that I own the ambassador games on account of being an early adopter.

Edit: Of course I also tell people how poo poo the lineup was for about two years after the system launched and what a terrible idea it was to get one back then.

I'd bought Nintendo handhelds since the original GB. I didn't by the 3DS even when it went for $99. XL was when I jumped on the train.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I bought a 3DS at Best Buy the day after Nintendo announced the price drop, about two weeks before the price account dropped. Once the price dropped, I went back to Best Buy with my receipt and got them to refund the difference, yet because I bought before the drop, I got the Ambassador games. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

:smug:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i got my 3ds on launch day at midnight because i love nintendo.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gay

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

:yeah:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got the 3DS because my DS Lite's L button wasn't working and I figured instead of getting a new DS Lite I might as well upgrade to the latest model since it's not like I'm not gonna own it for Pokemon down the line.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My 3ds is dual ips.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

How big are your pockets to fit both of those screens?! :eyepop:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The new Jake Hunter came out today. Anyone else pick it up?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It did? I was waiting for them to announce a date, I guess I missed it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Probably the biggest criticism of Samus Returns is that there's just way more enemies than your typical 2D Metroid to slog through. You don't have to use the melee counter all the time, but it's definitely a slaughter all the way through.

Which, as a remake that aspect results in the eerie atmosphere of Metroid 2 being lost a fair bit. As it's own game it's pretty solid though.

Yeah I decided to pick up Samus Returns but also Metroid 2 because I wanted to experience that spooky atmosphere.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Another Metroid 2 Remake maintains some of the spooky atmosphere.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I have to say, whatever Metroid 2 was going for did not feel brooding, but empowering and adventurous. The main overworld theme is just too uplifting. And I'd say that about most of Metroid since most of its darker moments were fleeting—hardly the defining characteristic of Metroid, overall

So, especially with regards to Metroid and Metroid II, I've found their remakes to be impressively reverent to their source material

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I figure I should re-post from the dead Switch thread here as it's far more pertinent:

I'm going on a vacation soon and while the Switch is perfect... I don't feel comfortable traveling with it just yet.

So I'm taking my 3DS with me and I'm thinking of getting a new game. I have FE Awakening on it, which continues to fail to grab my attention and I can only play it for short intervals, though I think I've got only 6 or 7 levels on the main quest to go. I've been thinking of getting Bravely Default since I've really enjoyed Octopath Traveler and it seems you should 1 before 2.

Wooly World seems nice, I like platforming and I love the Yoshi games; or maybe even Captain Toad, which is a bit expensive, but I really don't like touching my Switch Screen and it seems super chill; Steamworld 2 Dig is there too but maybe not great on 3DS (I loved Hollow Knight so maybe a Metroidvania would be a good idea?)

And then things like Rhythm Heaven Megamix, NES Remix, Mario Party Mini-Game Collection, and Warioware all seem super fun, but probably not really of lasting interest. The last game I bought was Robobot and 3D Land based on the thread's suggestions, the former I loved... the latter not quite as much. I'm looking forward to Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Anything else I may be missing/should think of getting? What do you guys suggest?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pocket Card Jockey.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Steamworld 2 Dig is there too but maybe not great on 3DS (I loved Hollow Knight so maybe a Metroidvania would be a good idea?)

FWIW, I can't comment on how SWD2 is on the 3DS vs the switch, but for the gameplay itself it's a significant improvement over SWD. A lot more emphasis on exploration/platforming/movement vs. SWD's nearly total emphasis on "digging correctly", and the world itself is significantly larger as well. If the reviews for the 3DS version don't talk about any performance issue, I would say it's very worth getting.

Bravely Default I actually liked a lot more than Octopath in terms of the job system, since it's not as restrictive and you only have 4 party members to deal with so even if their job level is lower, their actual level tends to stay pretty similar.

If you're into RPGs, Shin Megami Tensei IV and the Etrian Odyssey games would probably be worth looking into.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 2, 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I had fun with WarioWare Gold during a power outage. There's conceivably tons of content, and fun extras like giving you the ability to voice-over any cutscene in the game

Tons of unlockables referencing obscure Nintendo lore, and many modes--keeps your attention

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven both have enough content to keep you engaged.

Captain Toad is great but you should play it on Switch or Wii U if you have one of those systems since it’s a really nice looking game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for the advice.

Steamworld Dig 2 seems to have been reviewed favorably for the 3DS, it gets a graphics hit compared to other platforms, but it's not a big one apparently, and the thing runs at 60 fps, though I'm not a stickler about that. Everyone keeps saying what a great metroidvania it is and how the platform challenges are top-notch. Plus it's cheap!

I downloaded demos for the games I could: Bravely, Yoshi, Warioware, and Rhythm Heaven (I already tried Cpt Toad). I'll try those out and see how I feel. I may be RPG'd out after Octopath, I'm not quite at end game and while not burnt out I do feel like I want to play something else on the Switch. Yoshi is probably super cute and fun, but I fear it may be too easy.

I still would rather Captain Toad on the 3DS, I don't mind the graphical hit in the slightest and I really hate touching the Switch screen and there's no way I'll be playing docked permanently so 3DS for me is a far better option, I really liked the chill grab and go gameplay of Captain Toad, but again I fear it may be too easy and it's actually pretty expensive.

I'm going to try out Warioware (which is pricey) and RH, which is not.

At the moment I'm feeling Steamworld and RH just based on price, we'll see how they play. If I feel like paying more then Capt. Toad stands a good chance.I leave on the 21st so I have a little bit of time before settling on something. Thanks 3DS thread!

Waltzing Along posted:

Pocket Card Jockey.

Gotta say this game never interested me though I'm not really sure what it's about. It looks cute though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I still would rather Captain Toad on the 3DS, I don't mind the graphical hit in the slightest and I really hate touching the Switch screen and there's no way I'll be playing docked permanently so 3DS for me is a far better option, I really liked the chill grab and go gameplay of Captain Toad, but again I fear it may be too easy and it's actually pretty expensive.

The 3DS is actually a pretty good fit for Captain Toad because you can use the stylus as it first was handled on the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq0N-AsZ8Vo&t=305s

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gotta say this game never interested me though I'm not really sure what it's about. It looks cute though.

I guess a lot of people don't explain the appeal

It's a timed simplified solitaire game where you try to clear cards as quickly as possible, to maximize your horse's potential every stretch of a race. There's a funny ongoing story between re-occuring characters between races—self-aware jokes about the nature of the game throughout

Ultimately, you train different horses with different win/loss records and breed retired horses for new ones with higher stats. Addictive, and it's 10 bucks

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you have any fondness of Weird Puzzles, take a moment to look at Picross 3D Round 2. It's basically the best thing on the 3DS.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i hate solitaire and horse racing sims and pocket card jockey fuckin owns

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition is cheap used at Game Stop now.
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/puzzle-dragons-puzzle-dragons-super-mario-bros/120309

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

YggiDee posted:

If you have any fondness of Weird Puzzles, take a moment to look at Picross 3D Round 2. It's basically the best thing on the 3DS.

Oh I love Picross 3D. I don't dare get hooked on regular Picross because I'd never recover from that but I'll happily get any Picross 3D that's ever released.

Spellman posted:

It's a timed simplified solitaire game where you try to clear cards as quickly as possible, to maximize your horse's potential every stretch of a race. There's a funny ongoing story between re-occuring characters between races—self-aware jokes about the nature of the game throughout

Ultimately, you train different horses with different win/loss records and breed retired horses for new ones with higher stats. Addictive, and it's 10 bucks

Interesting. My partner loves spider solitaire (or was it free cell?), maybe I can get her to play it?

absolutely anything posted:

i hate solitaire and horse racing sims and pocket card jockey fuckin owns

Yeah I feel like you do, but I have yet to try this little game. I don't mind Solitaire but I'm terrible at it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

it helps that it's the simplest solitaire possible. just make the number on top of the stack go up or down

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there's a single human that wasn't sold on Pocket Card Jockey after trying the demo

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Pocket Card Jockey.

Speaking of which. Is there any reason to unlock other horse owners? I'm terrible at the solitaire, even with a good horse. Also, is there a source for horse QR codes? Aside from that one tumblr.

Also a vote for Pocket Card Jockey. As well as Warioware and Rhythm Heaven.

Spellman posted:

I had fun with WarioWare Gold during a power outage. There's conceivably tons of content, and fun extras like giving you the ability to voice-over any cutscene in the game

Tons of unlockables referencing obscure Nintendo lore, and many modes--keeps your attention

Case in point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNSRs2Eh5o

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't there a demo for pocket card jockey? Try it and see.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone play ever oasis? I've got a birthday discount to use, and I'm considering it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Shinjobi posted:

Anyone play ever oasis? I've got a birthday discount to use, and I'm considering it.

It's a lot of fun, and exactly as stressful or chill as you want it to be. Very simple but not braindead. I'd recommend it to almost anyone.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
With Captain Toad, finishing each stage is usually easy, but there are additional things to do on each stage that can make it a bit harder. There are 3 diamonds to find, a 'find pixel Toad' minigame, and an achievement to do which is unique to each stage, that is the most challenging. For example, I have one where I have to complete the level without being seen, and I'm not good at being stealthy so I haven't gotten that one yet.

I got a 3DS around launch, I figured there were plenty of DS games to play on it, so I wasn't worried about not having enough games to play. If it wasn't backwards compatible, I probably would have waited a bit longer. I didn't know about the ambassador program though. Was that in every region? (I live in Australia)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's also time trials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't there a demo for pocket card jockey? Try it and see.

There is and I will.

greententacle posted:

With Captain Toad, finishing each stage is usually easy, but there are additional things to do on each stage that can make it a bit harder. There are 3 diamonds to find, a 'find pixel Toad' minigame, and an achievement to do which is unique to each stage, that is the most challenging. For example, I have one where I have to complete the level without being seen, and I'm not good at being stealthy so I haven't gotten that one yet.

I got a 3DS around launch, I figured there were plenty of DS games to play on it, so I wasn't worried about not having enough games to play. If it wasn't backwards compatible, I probably would have waited a bit longer. I didn't know about the ambassador program though. Was that in every region? (I live in Australia)

Are you supposed to do all the challenges in one go or do you just restart and play for that style? Doesn't make too much of a difference, just makes it a touch repetitive.