Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

that is the most generic thing i have ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rutibex posted:

it is taking a long time to record all of the protagonists voice acting for each race/gender combination

Anyone else have a mind gently caress when goddamn Kristy Wroth was suddenly in your videogame?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

a bone to pick posted:

games are only fun on drugs or drunk

kind of related but I can only truly excel at competitive games when I take gabapentin. it puts me in a trance where I can play something forever and also not care about pressure or get angry. when i play a competitive game with a clear mind I always want to quit after a good game, like i want to get out while i'm still on top, so i don't play enough and never get that good. it's a stupid mentality.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

oh god here comes the spicy hot take

turning an RTS franchise into a lovely dumb loving RPG game was not a "good" move, and the story was hot loving garbage, but i mean that's not exactly a problem unique to any blizzard game

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
All videogames have bad storys except poo poo like life is strange which might have an interesting story but paired with really dull gameplay

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DrPossum posted:

It's been almost 7 years since we had a proper Elder Scrolls game and this leaves a gigantic hole in my gaming needs.

Even loving Daggerfall to Morrowind took only 6 years

TES VI will be a team based multiplayer combat game with microtransactions and no NPCs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CrRoMa posted:

All videogames have bad storys except poo poo like life is strange which might have an interesting story but paired with really dull gameplay

idiocy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bloodborne has a good story so eat my poo poo nerds

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this is to loving devoid of anything you have to check that it wasn't uploaded by some highschooler using windows xp era terrain rendering freeware

poo poo should have been out two years ago

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CrRoMa posted:

Ew what the gently caress is this.

I didn't like Life is Strange even when it wasn't some creepy middle aged dude's fantasy of teenage lesbians. Also back then it was called Butterfly Effect.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yume Nikki has the best "story" of any game

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Twelve Batmans posted:

Ew what the gently caress is this.

I didn't like Life is Strange even when it wasn't some creepy middle aged dude's fantasy of teenage lesbians. Also back then it was called Butterfly Effect.

The gameplay mechanics and the manner in which you control the game are tediously boring

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only reason to play Life is Strange is to play long enough to hate Chloe, shoot her, quit.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CrRoMa posted:

The gameplay mechanics and the manner in which you control the game are tediously boring

Well yeah the "mechanics" are just a rewind button with no penalty for any number of wrong tries. Of course it loving sucks. I'm more amazed at anyone thinking the game has an even half-way decent story. It loving sucks. The only good part was getting to euthanize Chloe after breaking reality with a polaroid. That character (and the rest of the student characters) are loving terribly written.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm totally looking forward to playing a game about teenagers where the objective isn't too murder said teenagers... NOT

This is also why until dawn was good.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ever read a CYOA book and used a finger to hold open a branching point while you explore the "go-to" pages so you can go back to the branching point if you reach a bad end or whatever? Congrats, you've designed a game worthy of published by loving Square Enix.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Colonel Cancer posted:

Moon is a Harsh Mistress was a cool premise if you ignore most retarded libertarian screeds. Idk if most decent sci-fi can be adapted into a videogame though as most videogames are garbage Skinner boxes where you just grind forgettable enemies.

This is why Dragon Quest is so good because you grind unforgettable enemies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

This is why Dragon Quest is so good because you grind unforgettable enemies

Ive never beaten the warcrimes denier super boss and his lovely midi special attack.

Also dragon quest games are absolute trash, lower than garbage like Code of Dragon:VFD

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dragon Quest is extremely good. It knows what it wants to be an excels at being that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Dragon Quest is extremely good. It knows what it wants to be an excels at being that.

Bad? Forgettable? Tedious? Lacking in gameplay hooks? Outdated?

All of the above?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Twelve Batmans posted:

Ever read a CYOA book and used a finger to hold open a branching point while you explore the "go-to" pages so you can go back to the branching point if you reach a bad end or whatever? Congrats, you've designed a game worthy of published by loving Square Enix.

you seem triggered my friend

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

romanowski posted:

you seem triggered my friend

Eeeew, I found a worse post than the guy who said he think LIS has serviceable story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iR2yUsk41o&t=21s

Okay okay, this game did have some good comedy moments. Though most of them were unintentional.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

I played through one of the famicom ones, I don't remember which one. I remember being vaguely entertained (must have been the case since I made it all the way through apparently), it was only a few years ago but I remember not a single detail about the game. Japanese people like it because it has European castles and dragons and knights and stuff which is exotic to them but totally forgettable to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
JRPGs are great when you're a kid with unlimited free time and patience and limited money and games, but nowadays they seem like such a slog.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Twelve Batmans posted:

Eeeew, I found a worse post than the guy who said he think LIS has serviceable story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iR2yUsk41o&t=21s

Okay okay, this game did have some good comedy moments. Though most of them were unintentional.

Life is indeed... strange

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't know what the gently caress Life Is Strange is but just looking at it makes me hate it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

I don't know what the gently caress Life Is Strange is but just looking at it makes me hate it

I haven't played it but I've seen a few bits and pieces and from what I can gather it's a narrative thing about psionic teen lesbians.

An anime, basically.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its a game about being able to rewind time but they never really use it in an interesting way until the last chapter

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

What are the odds it's taking so long because they're overhauling the Creation engine almost from scratch?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh dope posted:

What are the odds it's taking so long because they're overhauling the Creation engine almost from scratch?

pretty slim

I bet $1 I'm still not going to be able to go through a door holding alt without switching the always run setting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh dope posted:

if by "overhauling" you mean "tweaking and loving with endlessly because they don't know how to create an efficient or effective engine"

but really probably most of the time being spent is on art assets and twiddling with AI scripts, which have always been notoriously easy to break in TES games

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
i just hope its Wakanda or the Arab cats

if it's more white people and loving dragons again I'm not going to be enthused

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graphic posted:

i just hope its Wakanda or the Arab cats

if it's more white people and loving dragons again I'm not going to be enthused

Prepare for magic scotland and selling 12 million copies launch day

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

JRPGs are great when you're a kid with unlimited free time and patience and limited money and games, but nowadays they seem like such a slog.

Just download the box art for them all, it satisfies ~30% of the nostalgia in bite sized form.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Just download the box art for them all, it satisfies ~30% of the nostalgia in bite sized form.

and 20 minutes on youtube does the rest.

I felt my favorite game of all-time for years was Xenogears, but when I tried to play it on an emulator 5-6 years ago I wondered how I could like such a boring game so much when I also had Tekken and MGS and other fun poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Prepare for magic scotland and selling 12 million copies launch day

They'd better drat have loving hilarious accents

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They'd better drat have loving hilarious accents

They do, but it's because they only hire one voice actor for everyone in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graphic posted:

I felt my favorite game of all-time for years was Xenogears, but when I tried to play it on an emulator 5-6 years ago I wondered how I could like such a boring game so much when I also had Tekken and MGS and other fun poo poo

Maybe you used the making of Lunar trick to jump to the end of the game?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

They do, but it's because they only hire one voice actor for everyone in the game.

Better than hiring different voice actors and then having them read exactly the same lines?

They should try to get on this Scottish Twitter thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Graphic posted:

Good music, cool characters, fun combat?