Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one point for huawei: i use a b525 4g router as my primary internet access, and that thing is actually great

enjoy being spied on by china i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
android: the china syndrome

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i think you mean andoird

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qsvui posted:

i think you mean andoird

lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

akadajet posted:

better china than the nsa :shrug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qsvui posted:

i think you mean andoird

many 🙏

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

better china than the nsa :shrug:

cant it be both?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

where there's a will there's a way

coke
Jul 12, 2009
it's actually just called an-draw in chinese because they just want to translate it phonetically

google is called 'valley-song'

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

angry_keebler posted:

no one should buy any android device

agreed

quote:

but pretending huawei is somehow worse than sarnsung is laughable. the big concern is, what if huawei's device encryption eventually actually works? we have direct sweetheart deals with the koreans to compel sarnsung's cooperation, and if apple talks a good privacy game, they are still an american company and can be compelled by secret order to cooperate

but when jim from the office and detective moreland breathlessly shout about a ticking clock terror plot the guy on the other end of the phone from huawei will say "嗯...太可惜了" before the camera whip pans to reveal the huawei customer support office is actually in a dingy warehouse filled with chinese terrorists packing machineguns into wood crates stamped with "B A B Y T O Y B E S T N U M B E R O N E S H I P T O U.S.A

woah

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my nexus 5x died last night. finally succumbed to the endless bootloop. god rest ye my first smartphonne

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my nexus 5x died last night. finally succumbed to the endless bootloop. god rest ye my first smartphonne

then you'll probably be excited once the adults tell you about the new phones that work in 2018!

even my poo poo-nowadays cool-for-its time HTC slider from ~2006 still boots up in all of its windows mobile glory :barf:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the nexus 5x turns 3 years old in a couple weeks lol

the bootloop of death is a known issue with it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think it's time to merge this thread with the apple thread since they are indistinguishable, both in function and in their defense by obsessive supporters

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the nexus 5x turns 3 years old in a couple weeks lol

the bootloop of death is a known issue with it
didn't google say you shouldn't expect support on their phones after 18 months? pretty sure three years is longer than that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

What was the name of that initiative where Google tried to get all the OEMs to commit to 3yr support cycles for all the phones they make only for them to give up on the initiative within 6 months? This was back in the 2.3 days

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stymie posted:

i think it's time to merge this thread with the apple thread since they are indistinguishable, both in function and in their defense by obsessive supporters

Second

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What was the name of that initiative where Google tried to get all the OEMs to commit to 3yr support cycles for all the phones they make only for them to give up on the initiative within 6 months? This was back in the 2.3 days

project butter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

project butter
i thought butter was the "lets make scrolling less stuttery and laggy " initiative

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

didn't google say you shouldn't expect support on their phones after 18 months? pretty sure three years is longer than that

starting with the pixel 2, they are claiming to guarantee 2 years of os updates and 3 years of security updates from launch

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my nexus 5x was still getting OS and security updates. i was teasing my coworkers earlier because their newer samsungs were sometimes months behind my old nexus on security updates.

i've known for over a year now that the bootloop death was coming though. fuckin' LG.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

was there any nexus device that didn't have catastrophic reliability issues?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

starting with the pixel 2, they are claiming to guarantee 2 years of os updates and 3 years of security updates from launch
that's a lomarf if ever i heard one

Generic Monk posted:

i had a nexus one that worked fine for several years, it was just really slow and stopped getting updates. google play services was the least reliable thing about it.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 3, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

that was pixel 1 the 2 is three years for both

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/4/16403922/google-pixel-2-phone-android-update-schedule

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think the nexus 1 and second gen nexus 7 were okay

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

nexus one reportedly had power button problems but i didnt and they sold in such tiny numbers that its hard to generalize

the nexus s never worked at all

the cdma galaxy nexus had serious lte battery drain but i dont think had reliability issues. the gsm model was reliable it just was a crappy phone

the nexus 4 had a fragile glass back and a daughter card for usb that would go out but was very easily user replaceable

the nexus 5 had power button issues but other than that was p. reliable

the nexus 6 didnt work that well from the get go but i think p. much stayed that way

the 5x/6p both had catastrophic failures though remarkably not the same one

so i guess the answer is kinda? even the ones that worked had other significant drawbacks

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

i had a nexus one that worked fine for several years, it was just really slow and stopped getting updates. google play services was the least reliable thing about it.

i had a nexus one and status bar was burned into the screen in less than a year, also the touch sensor was basically useless for the bottom 1cm of the screen

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turd

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dangit! don’t sign!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Perplx posted:

i had a nexus one and status bar was burned into the screen in less than a year, also the touch sensor was basically useless for the bottom 1cm of the screen

lol that reminded me they switched to lcd halfway through the nexus ones run. i wonder how many ended up being made in total? you could tell me microsoft kin numbers and id believe you

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol at stymie’s beepatar

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

lol that reminded me they switched to lcd halfway through the nexus ones run. i wonder how many ended up being made in total? you could tell me microsoft kin numbers and id believe you

approximately zero.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

i don't know of the specific thing you're talking about but in general google phones have gotten much longer updates than any other androids. the nexus 5X got 2 years of feature updates (i.e. new OS version) and is still getting monthly security patches. similar support for most other nexus devices, where you'll get 2-3 years of OS updates and some security stuff beyond that

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you're probably thinking of the "android one" program. this wasn't around in the 2.3 days. it's gone through a couple of iterations. the first was for phones in developing markets. now it's a general "i promise to ship basically stock android and support it" and some OK phones for developed markets are coming out. Nokia/HMD are doing it for their current offerings

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're probably thinking of the "android one" program. this wasn't around in the 2.3 days
it was the open handset alliance, then google play edition, then android silver and now it's android one

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

um yeah, no

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i also remember a program that was in vain to attempt to get updates to phones quicker, well before android one was a thing. but. i dont remember what it was called. but dont think it was any of those.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

it was the open handset alliance, then google play edition, then android silver and now it's android one

close its the android update alliance that bangers is thinking of that lasted like six days

the other stuff tho is the path of trying to put stock android on devices with sometimes google or sometimes the oem handling the updates. in both cases updates never came

the current approach is project treble which is abstraction made so updates can be done without affecting oem skins and that seems to be effective so far. before that they were letting the oems in on the development as it happened to speed updates but i dont think that had a name

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't know of the specific thing you're talking about but in general google phones have gotten much longer updates than any other androids. the nexus 5X got 2 years of feature updates (i.e. new OS version) and is still getting monthly security patches. similar support for most other nexus devices, where you'll get 2-3 years of OS updates and some security stuff beyond that
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/Android-Support-Cycle-18-months-Software-Updates,news-11146.html

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

akadajet posted:

oh jeepers creepers, the ghost of Mao is going to declare PPW on me for posting that image of the gucci storefront with the hammer and sickle over it!!

who the gently caress cares if China spies on you, they're not the ones who'll dispatch blackbag NSA or ICE teams to your front door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're probably thinking of the "android one" program. this wasn't around in the 2.3 days. it's gone through a couple of iterations. the first was for phones in developing markets. now it's a general "i promise to ship basically stock android and support it" and some OK phones for developed markets are coming out. Nokia/HMD are doing it for their current offerings

that's it and yes I think they were shipping 4.4 at the time but 2.3 still had majority marketshare because android is trash