Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LPG Giant posted:

I found a cool shortcut: select it on a youtube video in safari and it will download the file and put it in vlc! https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/36cad9d61e094035bff8d2d912185ab7

This is really awesome, thank you. Is it possible to name the video imported into VLC or is that not an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rio posted:

One thing I’m really curious about is how and why it affects raw files from what that article said. What they’re doing should be post processing so I wonder what’s going on if raw files are affected too (even if it is less than a jpg)like the article implied.
That's demonstrated with examples in the Halide blog post. Please peruse it again, and look at the photos they post. The author's commentary on the photos is secondary, and there's no problem if you're disinclined to take that part seriously. It is post, and does not happen to raw. The result is significantly noisier photos, as there is no NR being applied.
I'm really trying not to be a snippy rear end in a top hat, but I'm not sure if you're being purposefully dense or what, because asking 'why' the raw output is noisier when we've been talking about shutter speed and ISO, and how it relates to the changes Apple's made to the cameras this year is precisely the reason.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 3, 2018

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LPG Giant posted:

I found a cool shortcut: select it on a youtube video in safari and it will download the file and put it in vlc! https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/36cad9d61e094035bff8d2d912185ab7
This is really good! Looking at the scripting for it and it's mad complex.

Incidentally, it also works from the share sheet within the YouTube app. Just go to Share > More > Shortcuts > YT to VLC

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone use Alarm.com app on your phone? They recently updated with Siri Shortcuts and now I can do voice commands to arm and disarm my house but it doesn’t seem like the same kind of shortcut as it’s not selectable (that I can tell?) in the shortcuts app where you group and make your own executables... just a Siri voice command. Am I missing something? I’d love a Bedtime command that did my lights AND my alarm on.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Is there ever going to be a solution for whitelisting only my contacts and sending every other number without any notifications to voicemail? I feel like there has to be some rule against since it still doesn’t exist, but there seems to be an API for call blocking apps since ios 11 now so why aren’t they doing it? I use the AT&T blocker which has helped a lot but at least 5 get through every day.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

oh sweet a software update, i can't wait for apple to make the notification screen less intuitive for the 10th year running

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there a tutorial somewhere on creating Hue shortcuts?

I’m a shortcut noob, just downloaded this morning

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Holy cow, that YT to VLC shortcut is rad!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

TraderStav posted:

This is really awesome, thank you. Is it possible to name the video imported into VLC or is that not an option?

Probably! I didn't make it so I have no clue how it works. Maybe one of our resident shortcut experts can help?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Bah gawd that’s Pivo’s music!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Anyone else seen any issues with an XS / XS Max or ios12 and Airwatch+Mail.app where it’s not syncing emails promptly or via push at all? We had to patch our airwatch at work to even get support because of the UDID changes on the motherboards of the new devices.
I’ve checked all settings regarding background app refresh, notifications, push, etc and it all looks clean.
Other apps are pushing and notifying correctly, but myself and two other people at work with an XS generation device are having very similar issues.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fourwood posted:

Bah gawd that’s Pivo’s music!

EZ

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/0f1599e63161466292dd8f01bdb90b36

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

drat, that works great! Even get the opportunity to modify the name! Thank you!

We need to create a repository of all the good shortcuts.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

That's demonstrated with examples in the Halide blog post. Please peruse it again, and look at the photos they post. The author's commentary on the photos is secondary, and there's no problem if you're disinclined to take that part seriously. It is post, and does not happen to raw. The result is significantly noisier photos, as there is no NR being applied.
I'm really trying not to be a snippy rear end in a top hat, but I'm not sure if you're being purposefully dense or what, because asking 'why' the raw output is noisier when we've been talking about shutter speed and ISO, and how it relates to the changes Apple's made to the cameras this year is precisely the reason.

I definitely understand why the raw is noisier if you aren’t shooting manual since the phone is prioritizing higher shutter speeds and iso. I thought I read in the article and inference that raws still retained some smoothing but I was reading a lot about it, looking through the developers reddit posts to try to get all the info I could so I might have read it there and not the article. I don’t have time to look back - there was some incorrect (or perhaps intentionally simplified to the point of being technically wrong, if we are going off the pinky nail sensor explanation) info on raw images on a reddit post so if I did actually read it there then I might have switched that in my mind to reading it in the article.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The url this produces can be streamed by VLC without downloading the whole file, but I can't come up with a way to send that url into VLC to automatically start playing.

The 'Opener' app description suggests it can do this, but it seems to me that VLC would need to know what to do with the url to begin with, right? Anyone know if it does?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Pivo is there a shortcut where I can just automatically mark texts from like Amazon automatically read?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

TraderStav posted:

drat, that works great! Even get the opportunity to modify the name! Thank you!

We need to create a repository of all the good shortcuts.

Ill make the website !

Haha jk I’m not 19 anymore :(

But I’m down for a repository, the YT->VLC loving owns and I’ve found a couple that are fun

such as an Instagram vid/photo saver: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/71d1dd10b22644c5a6d85b11e72508cf

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

The url this produces can be streamed by VLC without downloading the whole file, but I can't come up with a way to send that url into VLC to automatically start playing.

The 'Opener' app description suggests it can do this, but it seems to me that VLC would need to know what to do with the url to begin with, right? Anyone know if it does?

self-fix: telling it to open in safari works. Which might lead one to believe that defeats the point, but this allows watching a youtube video without actually using the youtube website or app (the app sucks with loving youtube red ads and the safari version limits bitrate).

I tried the Opener app but it doesn't know what the gently caress to do with the googlevideo.com url.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ill make the website !

Haha jk I’m not 19 anymore :(

But I’m down for a repository, the YT->VLC loving owns and I’ve found a couple that are fun

such as an Instagram vid/photo saver: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/71d1dd10b22644c5a6d85b11e72508cf

Am I doing something wrong that it won’t open these links in safari?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Am I doing something wrong that it won’t open these links in safari?

Errr check that you’ve got iOS 12 shortcuts app installed? Some firewall on your end?

They work for me

This one’s cool, people are making mini apps with this, check out the steps

Social Media Downloader (works with lots of sites)

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/97c8db4344554f18bf6e23b4c2c43aaa

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rio posted:

I might have read it there and not the article. I don’t have time to look back - there was some incorrect (or perhaps intentionally simplified to the point of being technically wrong, if we are going off the pinky nail sensor explanation) info on raw images on a reddit post so if I did actually read it there then I might have switched that in my mind to reading it in the article.
Could've been their description of how Halide's going to (has?) implemented "Smart Raw," where they're doing some exposure tuning and (I believe) some functional noise reduction of their own by stacking raw exposures or something like that, they do a lot of talking about how they're gonna handle this new raw mode and compare it to the XS' raw photos.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

Here: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ffdd50a947f447b0819cd4e973d2720f

I tried using VLC's vlc-x-callback protocol, but it wasn't working on my device despite forming the URL correctly. So I've had to use the vlc psuedoprotocol instead, which doesn't give me the option of specifying stream or download. So you have to do it, you have to tap 'Play' once it launches VLC. If you select Download, it will download a file that crashes VLC when you play it.

Fun!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

drat this is pretty neat

Can’t wait for more apps to support it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tonic posted:

Is there a tutorial somewhere on creating Hue shortcuts?

I’m a shortcut noob, just downloaded this morning

I played around with this yesterday and in conclusion it's really loving dumb and offers nothing the Home app/shortcuts don't provide. Honestly, don't bother.

After updating the Hue app you're going to need to restart your phone, otherwise Hue doesn't show up in Shortcuts for whatever reason. Once you do this Hue will show up in Shortcuts but probably with zero choices/shortcuts. To get them to show up, you'll need to open Hue.app, then manually trigger the scene(s) you want to appear in Shortcuts a few times, and then viola those scenes are now available to use in Shortcuts.

Congratulations, you now have the exact same features that Home.app provided!

And before you ask, no you can't use the Hue app to set timers, which would have actually been useful.

But there's a convoluted workaround though, using the IFTTT and Stringify apps. Just a warning though, the top review on Stringify says Comcast bought them out so like, the chances of your data being stolen and you being hosed over by Comcast is approximately 100%, give or take 0%.

So first, you'll need to make a Stringify workflow that looks like this:

Give it whatever name you want. Set whatever wait timer you want in the middle. Next, you'll need to make two IFTTT workflows: one that calls Stringify, and one that Stringify calls.

For the first one, use the Webhooks trigger and make it look like this:

Give the event whatever name you want, but no spaces or special characters. For the second one, make one that looks like this:

So basically, the first IFTTT workflow will run the Stringify workflow, which will then run the other IFTTT workflow.

And finally, to put it all together you need to make a Shortcut that looks like this:

The "event" variable is the name of the trigger you set in the first IFTTT ("wait_5m" in this example), and the key is your unique API key that you'll get from the IFTTT app. I made this shortcut a seperate workflow that accepts the "event" as an input so that I can call different IFTTT -> Stringify workflows but you can just hardcode it in to make it easier.

Yeah it's pretty dumb how complicated this is but hey now I can tell Siri to set pre-programmed Hue timers.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 4, 2018

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Hue Q:

We only turn on the lights in the kitchen if it's dark outside, i.e. not every day. Is there a way to program something like "if the lights are on at 8 o'clock, turn them off"? In other words, not an automation that also turns them on at a certain time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xabi posted:

Hue Q:

We only turn on the lights in the kitchen if it's dark outside, i.e. not every day. Is there a way to program something like "if the lights are on at 8 o'clock, turn them off"? In other words, not an automation that also turns them on at a certain time.

You can do this with the iConnectHue app. There's no way to add logic like that via Home or Hue.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xabi posted:

Hue Q:

Just set a routine to turn them off at X o’clock in the Hue app.

My kitchen lights are set to dim until at nightlight brightness around midnight.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Any idea what could cause an SE to hang at the call log (“recents”) screen, and only there?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In iOS 12, how to I remove the 'manage' option from the home screen notifications? Just want the old 'view' and 'clear.'

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Walking my mother-in-law through some iCloud stuff and just want to make sure I don't steer her wrong. She already has the 50GB plan and her usage shows 40.7 GB used up (almost entirely Photos).

She's turning iCloud backup on for the first time and it says she doesn't have enough space. I assume this is because Photos is part of the backup. Am I correct that she can turn off Photos in the BACKUP options and this won't affect all her photos in regular iCloud?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone having issues with the app store asking for your password every time? I have FaceID enabled for all purchases but I'm getting asked even on free apps.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Is icloud down for anyone else? I can't access it through my phone. It prompts for my password and then fails with "unknown error". Same on their website through safari.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

LPG Giant posted:

I keep getting a message about VLC not being installed; is there actually a different VLC app I should be using or perhaps a setting I need to change within the app? Just downloaded it fresh so not sure if there’s a trick to “activating” it or something. This is from launching Shortcuts via the share sheet in Safari:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Minidust posted:

Walking my mother-in-law through some iCloud stuff and just want to make sure I don't steer her wrong. She already has the 50GB plan and her usage shows 40.7 GB used up (almost entirely Photos).

She's turning iCloud backup on for the first time and it says she doesn't have enough space. I assume this is because Photos is part of the backup. Am I correct that she can turn off Photos in the BACKUP options and this won't affect all her photos in regular iCloud?

Might want to read this:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/280464/are-photos-still-backed-up-in-icloud-backup-even-if-icloud-photo-library-is-off

Suggests that if you disable iCloud Photo Library, photos will get packaged up with the regular backups so she won’t be able to see them on iCloud.com or on other devices?

But if I were you I would just be nice and buy the 200GB plan for $3/month and share the storage space with your mother. https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/

E: missed the in-law part but my suggestion still stands, especially if you and your partner are also paying for iCloud space already. Might as well take advantage of family sharing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ok my iPhone X mic keeps cutting out on calls, WiFi or not. Anyone else at all with this issue? I’m on t-mobile if it matters. Not sure how hard it would be to reproduce. I was on ios12 beta so I just assumed that, but it’s still continuing. Would the Apple store give me a hard time if I tried to get a replacement or anything?

I swear I remember reading something in this thread about tmobile iPhone X’s having mic issues and it would get you a replacement since it was a hardware issue

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Genius Bar can run a test to check the hardware.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Minidust posted:

I keep getting a message about VLC not being installed; is there actually a different VLC app I should be using or perhaps a setting I need to change within the app? Just downloaded it fresh so not sure if there’s a trick to “activating” it or something. This is from launching Shortcuts via the share sheet in Safari:

Try other links, there’s a few that wouldn’t open for me with the same error

Edit: the app that works for me is VLC FOR MOBILE from Videolan dev

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

e.pilot posted:

ah right that makes sense, it is Apple! I’ll schedule an appointment, thanks

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I’ll schedule an appointment
Where though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

e.pilot posted:

No no, make a YouTube video titled MICGATE!?!? and just use the advertising dollars to buy a new phone.