Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

This looks amazing holy poo poo. I can’t say I was expecting the uh... other Spider-men that got introduced in this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrc4VdoueE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Wash it away from your minds with this new Into The Spider-Verse trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

Holy shiiiiit this looks so good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
(wrt Storks and Smallfoot talk) part of it is that Sony Pictures Animation and Sony Pictures Imageworks are semi-separate. Most SPA films (the exceptions being films that they didn't actually produce, just released under the label) are animated by SPI, but SPI does stuff for other companies too: SPI was actually founded back in '92 to make CGI special effects (which it continues to do to this day, both for sony and non-sony films). The films animated by SPI that aren't produced by SPA are Aardman's Arthur Christmas (though it is one of the films that SPA didn't produce that they released under the label), the aforementioned Storks and Smallfoot, and the Angry Birds movie

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I also liked Storks, felt like a very good (not great) movie and most of the jokes landed for me

The voltron wolves were the best parts of that movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

Man I don't agree at all. I'll defend Storks to the death. It's not gonna win any awards, but I thought the movie was really funny and the ending where all the babies get delivered is very sweet. I also enjoy the overall art style of the movie :shrug:

Also this joke murdered me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYR852OkpA

Is the joke that pigeons are assholes? Idgi

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1047545283184226304

gently caress OFF

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NO

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
??????

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Lilo and Stitch? Really? I would expect they'd do something more clasically Disney first. Surely they haven't run out of properties yet?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I could see it I think Moana did really good for them and why try to create something new with diverse characters when you can just pillage something you already created? Be prepared for live action princess and the frog next.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lilo and Stitch is crazy popular in Japan and has an active Japan only series. No surprise

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm already tired of these live-action remakes of classic animated films.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm already tired of these live-action remakes of classic animated films.

Sorry, cant hear you over the sound of Live Action Shrek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
At least maybe this time The Ugly Duckling can take them through time and space so they can be exposed to the plague

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Something like Atlantis would work as live action.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lilo & Stitch is one of four Disney animated movies I've seen in the cinema (the others were Lion King, Treasure Planet and Atlantis). I remember not enjoying it very much but I subsequently watched and generally liked a lot of the spin-off television series.

Does anyone remember that show crossing over with both Kim Possible and Recess but none of them changed their art styles? That was pretty odd. I think the latter might be the last Recess thing ever produced. Recess was my second favourite of that era of Disney toons after Fillmore!, which was great.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

They also crossed over with Proud Family. There were rumors they planned on a Gargoyles reunion via Lilo and Stich crossover but it fell through

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This loving black plague is eventually gonna spread to the Emporer's New Groove and no one is gonna stop it. May god have mercy on our souls

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah David Spade in a llama mask would own bones.

[Fake edit: I know Disney would force a CGI llama on us]

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did people have very negative reactions to the original animated movies being announced if they were, say, fans of Hans Christian Anderson or Jean Cocteau?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did people have very negative reactions to the original animated movies being announced if they were, say, fans of Hans Christian Anderson or Jean Cocteau?

It's not quite the same, but people thought the idea of a feature-length animated film was unbelievably stupid, would never find an audience, and called Snow White "Disney's folly."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just so accustomed to the standard complaint being that Disney sanitised all these stories by turning them into cartoon movies in the first place that the basic fact of said movies being remade becoming the chief point of objection is a bit funny to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Lilo and Stitch is crazy popular in Japan and has an active Japan only series. No surprise

this is inaccurate. Stitch, himself, is popular in Japan. Lilo is probably the single most hated Disney character over there, though. this is why both the Japanese and Chinese adaptations of L&S go out of their way to shuffle Lilo and her family off the stage as fast and as hard as they can.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is inaccurate. Stitch, himself, is popular in Japan. Lilo is probably the single most hated Disney character over there, though. this is why both the Japanese and Chinese adaptations of L&S go out of their way to shuffle Lilo and her family off the stage as fast and as hard as they can.

...wait, why? :confused:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

...wait, why? :confused:

I've never actually seen a great reason explicated, but the best shot in the dark I've heard is that Lilo is basically everything that Japanese and Chinese kids are supposed to actively not be. we look at her and see a normal, cute kid; folks over there look at her and see a complete disrespectful brat who gets actively rewarded by the movie for it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wouldn't say we look at Lilo and see a normal kid-she's kinda troubled(probably largely due to her living situation), acts out in weird ways, etc. Normal kids don't nail shut the door to their house so their sister can't get in and make makeshift voodoo dolls of their "friends" to stick in a pickle jar and rattle around. She's a likable underdog though.

Japan definitely has stronger social norms about outsiders though. The nail that sticks up gets hammered down, or whatever.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Sorry, cant hear you over the sound of Live Action Shrek
I said classic animated films

...okay, maybe Shrek counts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IronicDongz posted:

I wouldn't say we look at Lilo and see a normal kid-she's kinda troubled(probably largely due to her living situation), acts out in weird ways, etc. Normal kids don't nail shut the door to their house so their sister can't get in and make makeshift voodoo dolls of their "friends" to stick in a pickle jar and rattle around. She's a likable underdog though.

eh, maybe i just grew up with weird kids, but all that stuff frankly makes Lilo come off as a lot more relatable and "real" than most kid protagonists. like, she comes off more like an actual kid her age than some kind of perfect kid-simulacrum.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

y'know, i was completely ambivalent to the previously announced live action movies because I have no real strong emotional connections to, say, Beauty and the Beast or Sleeping Beauty, but i have a visceral negative reaction to this idea

like, please stop now, Disney

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Shadow Hog posted:

I said classic animated films

...okay, maybe Shrek counts

Shrek has a Broadway musical, I feel like it is inevitable at this point

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When they do these remakes I just repeat "The original will still exist" to myself. And most people will probably forget about these remakes in a few years, they're not timeless like the animated versions.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I still haven't seen any of the live action remakes. Not a bragging point, I just have absolutely zero interest. The animation is the selling point of all the original adaptations. I didn't love Sleeping Beauty for its story, you dinguses!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well they certainly did not retread Sleeping Beauty's story, because the live action version is all about Aurora and Maleficient Alliance of rear end-Kicking.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Weird. I was told "it kept the rapey stuff, but it's Maleficent now."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The new ones still have really nice VFX and CG animation but something about VFX house animation isn't quite as charming as Disney Feature CG work.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This explains so much. :psyduck:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I can see that. It's kind of like how Chihiro from Spirited Away (who, coincidentally enough, was voiced by the same girl who voiced Lilo in the English dub of the movie) is described as "selfish", even though she doesn't come off as selfish AT ALL to American audiences. The worst things she does in the film are A) talk about how sad she is about having to move to a new town and leave all of her friends behind and B) get freaked out about a super suspicious amusement park and want to leave quickly (oh, and it turns out this fear is totally justified since that amusement park is 100% haunted and her dumbass parents get turned into pigs). Openly expressing strong negative emotions (even when those emotions are appropriate to the situation) is seen as a sign of selfishness and immaturity in Japan, and Lilo (who's parents just died) expresses many strong negative emotions (even though she's also shown to be very sweet and cares a lot about her family and the people around her).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1047524763478970368
Sweet my town's Cinemark is a part of this!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm just so accustomed to the standard complaint being that Disney sanitised all these stories by turning them into cartoon movies in the first place that the basic fact of said movies being remade becoming the chief point of objection is a bit funny to me.

I always saw this as a weird complaint, because they really only remove any sexual references or extreme violence, which is usually unnecessary anyway. There’s always some dark poo poo still in Disney films, sometimes even darker than the source material (the Queen of Hearts never actually beheads anyone in the book, she just yells and they pretend like they do but she never notices. In the movie they never explain that away, she straight up kills multiple “people”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Mark Hamil is a cool dude.