Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi posted:

oh jeepers creepers, the ghost of Mao is going to declare PPW on me for posting that image of the gucci storefront with the hammer and sickle over it!!

who the gently caress cares if China spies on you, they're not the ones who'll dispatch blackbag NSA or ICE teams to your front door

yeah, if there's one thing we've learned it's that state intelligence apparatus are highly secure and information is never misappropriated or misused by external contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

infernal machines posted:

yeah, if there's one thing we've learned it's that state intelligence apparatus are highly secure and information is never misappropriated or misused by external contractors.

Android is developed by an external contractor that will misuse and expose your data.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you have nothing to fear from total surveillance, except i guess some dipshit deciding to make a few extra figgies by selling your poo poo on the black market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

indigi posted:

Android is developed by an external contractor that will misuse and expose your data.

yes, this is a good reason to not use android, not excuse further surveillance by yet another party

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol what do you think Google is doing with all your info buddy. do you think they're being real discriminating with regards to who they share it with, scouts honor

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

imagine if your lucky goldStar fridge went into an erroneous PID loop and froze all your food into a block

and you knew it was going to do it anyways but you did nothing about it

wonder how many stars consumer reports would give it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, i don't, that's the whole point.

yes, google is wholesale surveilling you and that's bad, don't use google products.

also, don't use that fact to justify further surveillance by additional parties, because it's still worse

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

that's a lomarf if ever i heard one
i had a nexus one that worked fine for several years, it was just really slow and stopped getting updates. google play services was the least reliable thing about it.

i am the nexus one
i want updates fucker, i ain't done

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 4, 2018

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://twitter.com/greengart/status/1047611907140722689

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kinda surprised they didn't just go with hands just displayed on the screen for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

kinda surprised they didn't just go with hands just displayed on the screen for that.

nah the idea is that it functions as a normal watch until you want android stuff so it lasts a lot longer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

nah the idea is that it functions as a normal watch until you want android stuff so it lasts a lot longer

the battery probably will but i won't bet on the rest of it!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

so it's self-winding too?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

omg

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

indigi posted:

lol what do you think Google is doing with all your info buddy. do you think they're being real discriminating with regards to who they share it with, scouts honor

yeah because anyone google shares information with is someone that won't pay google to emotionally manipulate you on their behalf

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmaooooo

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anroid: it sort of works

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this cant be real

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

can't wait to see apple's take on this tremendously dumb idea

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lmao the guy with the anger issues in the dyp wearables thread posted and deleted a diatribe toward me when i made fun of the hands watch and this one (if you dont want to follow the link its half a regular screen and half an segment lcd screen like a casio terrorist watch that huawei is making)

years ago when he was thinking about buying a windows phone and i told him itt windows phone would be dead in the water and he sent me an angry pm saying i was wrong. i replied to it years later with just a link to some article talking about how dead and lovely it was. dude really hates me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i wouldn't mind a "smarter" watch, if there is some killer feature on it. but it would have to be a decent watch first and also it has to last for at least several weeks between charges when using the "smart" features.

also i don't really know what things i would want the watch to do in addition to displaying the time.

vibration alerts for some events? step counting? heart rate monitoring? showing me notifications i already ignore on my phone?

sleep tracking/smart wake up? sure, if that poo poo actually works. it probably doesn't and i don't really have any difficutly getting up in the morning.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what does smart even mean beyond stealing your data?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

years ago when he was thinking about buying a windows phone and i told him itt windows phone would be dead in the water and he sent me an angry pm saying i was wrong. i replied to it years later with just a link to some article talking about how dead and lovely it was. dude really hates me

omfg lmao 🤣

post the pms

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Boiled Water posted:

what does smart even mean beyond stealing your data?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

omfg lmao 🤣

post the pms

honestly the guys obv. mentally ill theres no reason to rub it in

i just cant believe a person could get that mad about phones or get upset when someone points out that a watch with a cheap other watch stuck on it because the first watch doesnt work is dumb. this is stupid consumer bullshit none of this remotely matters at all why would anyone have any emotion about this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

LastInLine posted:

this cant be real

throw all the poo poo at the wall forever

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wheany posted:

i wouldn't mind a "smarter" watch, if there is some killer feature on it. but it would have to be a decent watch first and also it has to last for at least several weeks between charges when using the "smart" features.

also i don't really know what things i would want the watch to do in addition to displaying the time.

vibration alerts for some events? step counting? heart rate monitoring? showing me notifications i already ignore on my phone?

sleep tracking/smart wake up? sure, if that poo poo actually works. it probably doesn't and i don't really have any difficutly getting up in the morning.

xiaomi makes something like this, has a step counter and vibrates for notifications. runs on regular watch batteries, supposed to last like 6 months. i like the way it looks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blue Train posted:

xiaomi makes something like this, has a step counter and vibrates for notifications. runs on regular watch batteries, supposed to last like 6 months. i like the way it looks

there must be a white label OEM for these because skagen (a fossil brand) has an almost identical line

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i *think* fossil is the originator of these, there are a lot of fashion brand variants

i have at times pondered buying a kronaby, which is a non-fossil, but they are pretty pricey and almost as pointless as actual smartwatches

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the hands watch is an android so I assume there is a way to make it display a clock in addition to the hands

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, the only mechanical limitation is that they cannot display the same time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mr. hands watch

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Midjack posted:

watch mr. hands

:thunk:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

yes, the only mechanical limitation is that they cannot display the same time

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

years ago, someone in the anroid thread went to my profile, saw i was remotely geographically close, and threatened to beat me up because i made fun of his stupid fuckin sarnsung watch. he asked if id say what i said to his face.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

years ago, someone in the anroid thread went to my profile, saw i was remotely geographically close, and threatened to beat me up because i made fun of his stupid fuckin sarnsung watch. he asked if id say what i said to his face.

lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

all of this checks out based on years of moderating DYPers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cool its swsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot