Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wrr posted:

The only thing I know about West Virginia is Mothman & The McElroys and if there isn't a lot of those two things I'm gonna flip.

Teach me some West Virginia history Fallout 76.
If Jesco White doesn't get a nod in this game I will be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Donovan Trip posted:

I've never seen a games thread on SA so determined to hate a game. This is some gamefaqs poo poo.

A hearty 'hello!' from the Star Citizen thread.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah this ain't poo poo compared to the indignities Andromeda had to suffer

Please, it made me suffer, why should it simply _walk away_.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wrr posted:

The McElroys

I hope you come across their skeletons and it's implied they all died in horrific fashion because gently caress those unfunny fucks.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Full disclosure I've never read the star citizen or a bioware thread so you got me there

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Choosing West Virginia was likely a significant challenge to the team. They pick one of the least populated, least known states, so they absolutely had their work cut out in creating an game environment that will promote interesting in-game experiences. It needs to overcome the challenge of selecting an environment that is relatively unknown to their user base. They could have taken the easy road and picked out of among dozens of more content-rich locales, but they went WV. Initially I was puzzled and disappointed; now I’m curious and am anticipating how the environment and players will interact in the making of the story.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Suave Fedora posted:

they absolutely had their work cut out in creating an game environment that will promote interesting in-game experiences.

Never bothered Bethesda before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Suave Fedora posted:

Choosing West Virginia was likely a significant challenge to the team. They pick one of the least populated, least known states, so they absolutely had their work cut out in creating an game environment that will promote interesting in-game experiences. It needs to overcome the challenge of selecting an environment that is relatively unknown to their user base. They could have taken the easy road and picked out of among dozens of more content-rich locales, but they went WV. Initially I was puzzled and disappointed; now I’m curious and am anticipating how the environment and players will interact in the making of the story.

You don't need a specific city or real world landmarks for this kind of game. almost all of the points of interest are always going to be invented.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bigger challenge is filling a map allegedly four times bigger than FO4's, whilst keeping things relatively fresh (which 4 had problems with).

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Bigger challenge is filling a map allegedly four times bigger than FO4's, whilst keeping things relatively fresh (which 4 had problems with).

My favorite quests in most Bethesda games are sidequests and incidental stuff in computers and holotapes, if they've honed their staff entirely in on that sort of stuff plus crafting, base building, and interacting with other players, I dunno, it could be really fun? Bethesda has also said they'll be adding content on a weekly to monthly basis. I agree FO4 got stale but I find myself coming back to it over and over, if new things were randomly happening in it I don't think I'd ever really fully stop playing it which seems like the goal with 76.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 3, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

My favorite quests in most Bethesda games are sidequests and incidental stuff in computers and holotapes, if they've honed their staff entirely in on that sort of stuff plus crafting, base building, and interacting with other players, I dunno, it could be really fun?

I'd prefer without the other players bit, but yeah.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
New footage october 8th https://wccftech.com/fallout-76-gameplay-footage-crossplay/

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Wrr posted:

The only thing I know about West Virginia is Mothman & The McElroys and if there isn't a lot of those two things I'm gonna flip.

I live in West Virginia and we've actually got a lot of pretty unique and interesting local legends and folklore that could be interesting to explore in the game. My favorites are "That Guy That Overdosed in the Pier One Imports Parking Lot Last Week" and "That Schizophrenic Lady Who Walks Around Walmart Asking People If They've Been Saved."

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wrr posted:

Here's some info on some of the locations in Fallout 76, unless Bethesda is just making stuff up the locations seem to follow some real locale logic (the masks in helvetia, or the bunker in Greenbrier for example) https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-locations/

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
It would be pretty near if they had parts where nature has moved back in, like you’re in a thick forest and suddenly there’s a town entangled in trees and ghouls start dropping from the branches.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Oooh, Blair Mountain! How much do you want to bet there was Battle of Blair Mountain 2.0 in Fallout 76?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rinkles posted:

I'd prefer without the other players bit, but yeah.

So just ban everyone you meet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

This a joke or how things will actually work?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rinkles posted:

This a joke or how things will actually work?

I'm not 100 on it, but I'm pretty sure you can ban people from your instances or otherwise avoid them if you want to be an antisocial psychopath.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bethesda has said you can basically play incognito, but there are instanced group quests you can still party up with. They've also said you don't really show up on each others radar unless you're near proximity, however stealthy characters are even harder to detect.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Also of note, griefers become visible to everyone in the game and get a big bounty on their head, so imagine an entire server being able to sneak up on and hunt down the rear end in a top hat who keeps starting poo poo.

Some other player interaction notes: you're able to set whatever price you want on goods when bartering, leaving lots of room to be helpful or be a dick.

There are resource deposits in the game world (called Public Workshops) that you'll want to set your CAMP near, working with other players to mine these resources and defend from other players / NPCs is implied.

While there aren't human NPCs, there are recently radiated ghouls known as the scorched, as well as robots (and possibly super mutants) that interact with the players, though no one knows how yet. The new ghoul faction can fire guns and talk so they're basically raiders.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 3, 2018

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It's going to be like that one goon that had so many posters on his Ignore list it crashed the forums

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

They describe the multiplayer similar to Sea of Pirates, very large map, super small playerbase, randoms will rarelly find other randows while exploring.

Something like this could be true if theres dungeons or big buildings to explore. But if theres static bases and people craft in craft stations, I imagine finding people would be easy. ( camp the entrance with a sniper rifle, waiting for somebody to go outside to kill him. )

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It that results in me being able to gently caress around and do whatever, punctuated by moments of extreme terror a la DayZ when I realize a player is nearby, that can be fun.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Attacking other players does minimal damage unless they shoot you back.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tei posted:

They describe the multiplayer similar to Sea of Pirates, very large map, super small playerbase, randoms will rarelly find other randows while exploring.

Something like this could be true if theres dungeons or big buildings to explore. But if theres static bases and people craft in craft stations, I imagine finding people would be easy. ( camp the entrance with a sniper rifle, waiting for somebody to go outside to kill him. )

Are there even dungeons in the game? Most of the footage I've seen has taken place outdoors.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

J-Spot posted:

Are there even dungeons in the game? Most of the footage I've seen has taken place outdoors.

supposedly it's the usual assortment of vaults or bunkers or buildings along with outdoor areas

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
heres a very hungover dead tired Todd telling sweet little lies about fallout 76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vdMHUak4CA

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 3, 2018

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Here's some info on some of the locations in Fallout 76, unless Bethesda is just making stuff up the locations seem to follow some real locale logic (the masks in helvetia, or the bunker in Greenbrier for example) https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-locations/

Centralia (not listed) is an actual town in PA that has had a coal mine burning underneath it for decades. It was also the inspiration behind Silent Hill. I’m guessing that in turn might be 76’s “Burning Mine”.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wrr posted:

How do you not know about the Flatwoods Monster?! Better yet, how has nobody brought up the Phantom of Flatwoods? Seriously thread, you're disappointing me.

CRYPTID CHAT TIME

quote:

At 7:15 p.m. on September 12, 1952, two brothers, Edward and Fred May, and their friend Tommy Hyer said they saw a bright object cross the sky and land on the property of local farmer G. Bailey Fisher. The boys went to the home of Kathleen May, where they told their story. May, accompanied by the three boys, local children Neil Nunley and Ronnie Shaver, and West Virginia National Guardsman Eugene Lemon, went to the Fisher farm in an effort to locate whatever it was that the boys said they had seen. The group reached the top of a hill, where Nunley said they saw a pulsing red light. Lemon said he aimed a flashlight in that direction and momentarily saw a tall "man-like figure with a round, red face surrounded by a pointed, hood-like shape".

Descriptions varied. In an article for Fate Magazine based on his tape-recorded interviews, UFO writer Gray Barker described the figure as approximately 10 feet (3.0 m) tall, with a round blood-red face, a large pointed "hood-like shape" around the face, eye-like shapes which emitted greenish-orange light, and a dark black or green body. Kathleen May described the figure as having "small, claw-like hands", clothing-like folds, and "a head that resembled the ace of spades". According to the story, when the figure made a hissing sound and "glided toward the group", Lemon screamed and dropped his flashlight, causing the group to run away.

The group said they had smelled a "pungent mist" and some later said they were nauseated. The local sheriff and a deputy had been investigating reports of a crashed aircraft in the area. They searched the site of the reported monster but "saw, heard and smelled nothing". According to Barker's account, the next day, A. Lee Stewart, Jr. of the Braxton Democrat claimed to discover "skid marks" in the field and an "odd, gummy deposit" which were subsequently attributed by UFO enthusiast groups as evidence of a "saucer" landing.

According to former news editor Holt Byrne, "newspaper stories were carried throughout the country, radio broadcasts were carried on large networks, and hundreds of phone calls were received from all parts of the country". The national press services rated the story "#11 for the year". A minister from Brooklyn came to question the May family. A Pittsburgh paper sent a special reporter. UFO and Fortean writers like Gray Barker and Ivan T. Sanderson arrived to investigate.

Long story short, the Flatwoods Monster is intertwined with the UFO hysteria of the 1950's. Fallout 76 won't be the Braxton County Monster's video game debut, either! It was used several times in 80's and 90's as the boss of shoot-em-ups like Amagon for the NES and Space Harrier 2. It's even in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I live in West Virginia and we've actually got a lot of pretty unique and interesting local legends and folklore that could be interesting to explore in the game. My favorites are "That Guy That Overdosed in the Pier One Imports Parking Lot Last Week" and "That Schizophrenic Lady Who Walks Around Walmart Asking People If They've Been Saved."

Both of these people will appear in game as super mutants, I know this because because my uncle is Bethesda. All of Bethesda.

Father Wendigo posted:

How do you not know about the Flatwoods Monster?! Better yet, how has nobody brought up the Phantom of Flatwoods? Seriously thread, you're disappointing me.

CRYPTID CHAT TIME

Long story short, the Flatwoods Monster is intertwined with the UFO hysteria of the 1950's. Fallout 76 won't be the Braxton County Monster's video game debut, either! It was used several times in 80's and 90's as the boss of shoot-em-ups like Amagon for the NES and Space Harrier 2. It's even in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask!

Oh poo poo! I knew about the Flatwoods Monster (the most fashionable cryptoid of them all) but never made the connection to the aliens in Majora's Mask! Man, it's so obvious now that you've pointed it out though.

Here's concept art for Fallout 76's take on them:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*enhance*

*enhance*

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That looks like a particularly short marital aid styled like you'd see it in sword catalogs... being orbited by Hitachi egg vibrators.

Which reminds me, I really need to check in on the BUDK thread in GBS.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

Oooh, Blair Mountain! How much do you want to bet there was Battle of Blair Mountain 2.0 in Fallout 76?

Minimal. If anything I'd expect it to be painted in AND AMERICA SHOWED THOSE PINKO COMMIES WHAT FOR without a hint of irony of criticism.

I believe The Greenbrier has been confirmed, and some E3 footage sure looked a lot like Moundsville Penitentiary. I spent a little time in that town and took the prison tour and even a few years ago it was pretty run down. There are also all the coal seam fires and gutted towns dotting the hills. This isn't even including the coal sludge coming out of every faucet in the house I tried, the walls shaking as the pipes protested before finally producing something clear enough to resemble water.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Donovan Trip posted:

I've never seen a games thread on SA so determined to hate a game. This is some gamefaqs poo poo.

Dude, there used to be like 2 Fallout 4 threads. One "Fallout 4 thread" and one "Fallout 4 thread for stable people" or something. This is nothing, just wait until it's released. You will be reading about Fallout New Vegas for years man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Months later, game still sounds like a big ole turd OP.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Dude, there used to be like 2 Fallout 4 threads. One "Fallout 4 thread" and one "Fallout 4 thread for stable people" or something. This is nothing, just wait until it's released. You will be reading about Fallout New Vegas for years man.

That sounds glorious.

Man, sometimes I feel like I am visiting a party, after it finished. Born too late to be part of the "fallout 4 thread for stable people", to soon to explore space.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you folks this thread is wild. See if you can dig up the old elder scrolls threads.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Thats a very good Mars Attacks! extrapolation of the monster except the lack of a fashionable skirt. Maybe the high-levels get the skirts.

I love the cryptid chat. I love local legends. Don't really love when actual no-poo poo E.T.s show up in Fallout but I'll accept it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Attacking other players does minimal damage unless they shoot you back.

I still think this is the weirdest design decision. Like I feel like it leaves everyone in the cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna have to get used to shrugging off pestering fat men nukes