Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I figure I should re-post from the dead Switch thread here as it's far more pertinent:

I'm going on a vacation soon and while the Switch is perfect... I don't feel comfortable traveling with it just yet.

So I'm taking my 3DS with me and I'm thinking of getting a new game. I have FE Awakening on it, which continues to fail to grab my attention and I can only play it for short intervals, though I think I've got only 6 or 7 levels on the main quest to go. I've been thinking of getting Bravely Default since I've really enjoyed Octopath Traveler and it seems you should 1 before 2.

Wooly World seems nice, I like platforming and I love the Yoshi games; or maybe even Captain Toad, which is a bit expensive, but I really don't like touching my Switch Screen and it seems super chill; Steamworld 2 Dig is there too but maybe not great on 3DS (I loved Hollow Knight so maybe a Metroidvania would be a good idea?)

And then things like Rhythm Heaven Megamix, NES Remix, Mario Party Mini-Game Collection, and Warioware all seem super fun, but probably not really of lasting interest. The last game I bought was Robobot and 3D Land based on the thread's suggestions, the former I loved... the latter not quite as much. I'm looking forward to Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Anything else I may be missing/should think of getting? What do you guys suggest?

I'm in this same situation (I don't want to bring my Switch on this trip although I usually do). From your list Rhythm Heaven is both a super good game, and fills a niche that that Switch won't - on any trip you can pick up and play a minigame. It'll be a bit harder to pick up your Bravely Default save on your next vacation and figure out what your party was going for.

So yes maybe a bit less lasting interest but are you really gonna sit at home and play a long 3DS RPG when you have your consoles with you? My last trip I had way more fun playing the bite sized games like Final Fantasy Theatrythm and Rhythm Heaven than I did trying to restart paused JRPG runs (I will never ever finish Persona Q)

I was actually trying to decide for my next trip between Warioware, Pokemon Ultra Sun (I can get it on sale here) or Kirby Planet Robobot. I think I'll go for warioware because I know the day I'm back I'll never pick up Pokemon again which seems like a waste.

I also love wario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You bring up an excellent point. Continuity is going to be a bitch and there's little chance I'll use my 3DS when home. Plus let's be honest, I'm not going on vacation to play videogames, I'll be playing before bed, early in the morning, or when flying etc. So not even that much.

You make a great case for a mini game collection. Sorry steamworld, will end up getting that for switch some day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greententacle posted:

With Captain Toad, finishing each stage is usually easy, but there are additional things to do on each stage that can make it a bit harder. There are 3 diamonds to find, a 'find pixel Toad' minigame, and an achievement to do which is unique to each stage, that is the most challenging. For example, I have one where I have to complete the level without being seen, and I'm not good at being stealthy so I haven't gotten that one yet.

If you're playing on Switch, you can cheese that "don't get seen" challenge by turning on 2-player Assist mode and murdering every enemy with the player 2 turnips.

Can't get seen by the dead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You bring up an excellent point. Continuity is going to be a bitch and there's little chance I'll use my 3DS when home. Plus let's be honest, I'm not going on vacation to play videogames, I'll be playing before bed, early in the morning, or when flying etc. So not even that much.

You make a great case for a mini game collection. Sorry steamworld, will end up getting that for switch some day.

I bring mine and focus on visual novel/puzzle type games. Layton/Phoenix Wright.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was on a trip recently and noticed my hands get quite tired after playing my 3ds for long periods of time. Was thinking of picking up a 2DS on the cheap and try it out.

Problem is my 3ds is the New 3DS XL. Would it even let me do a system transfer or would I be forced to pay again for all my games? Outside of a handful of games, all of my purchases have been digital downloads + Virtual Console stuff.

If I can't transfer, I probably won't bother even though I really like the feel of the 2DS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It matters what 2DS it is, you can’t do a system transfer to an “Old” system from “New” so no to 2DS but you can transfer everything to a New 2DS XL.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can transfer but you have to call Nintendo support because they have to do it server side. You will have to redownload everything and you'll lose your saves but everything should be there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was on a trip recently and noticed my hands get quite tired after playing my 3ds for long periods of time. Was thinking of picking up a 2DS on the cheap and try it out.

Problem is my 3ds is the New 3DS XL. Would it even let me do a system transfer or would I be forced to pay again for all my games? Outside of a handful of games, all of my purchases have been digital downloads + Virtual Console stuff.

If I can't transfer, I probably won't bother even though I really like the feel of the 2DS.

You could probably get a grip for cheaper, but you do you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

e: nm

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is the standard 2ds worth $79 to use as a second console? I have the new 3ds xl but want something that I can let my 5 year old play without worrying about it breaking. I would also throw it in my work bag from time to time to play on lunch. Not being able to download all of my digital purchases on would be a pain, but not having to worry about it breaking and being out $150+ is a good draw. Do people with big hands find it hard to play?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Is the standard 2ds worth $79 to use as a second console? I have the new 3ds xl but want something that I can let my 5 year old play without worrying about it breaking. I would also throw it in my work bag from time to time to play on lunch. Not being able to download all of my digital purchases on would be a pain, but not having to worry about it breaking and being out $150+ is a good draw. Do people with big hands find it hard to play?

I have big hands and I love the 2DS. I absolutely recommend it as a second console. That's pretty much what I did with mine. You can get a refurbished one directly from Nintendo's site for $60 and it's gonna feel like new. And they're study. I have a soft pouch for mine. I dropped it on the sidewalk last week and there was no damage at all.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have big hands and I love the 2DS. I absolutely recommend it as a second console. That's pretty much what I did with mine. You can get a refurbished one directly from Nintendo's site for $60 and it's gonna feel like new. And they're study. I have a soft pouch for mine. I dropped it on the sidewalk last week and there was no damage at all.

Great , sounds like that's going to be the plan for my weekend. My daughter loves MARIO kart and I think they have one of the bundles collecting dust at my local Walmart, or it could be the new MARIO 2 one. If it's not the Mario kart one I'll look into the refurb. Thanks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yeah. The bundled Mario Kart 7 does make it a pretty good value.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

loudog999 posted:

Pick up a 3ds game case and hold it like you would a 2DS. That's how big the OG 2DS is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I tried out a couple of the demos. Warioware is cool and fun, but my partner said no because it caused me to move around too much (twist it...). I like Rhythm Heaven but my goodness can it be frustrating when you don't quite get it. Still I think I could have a lot of fun with it.

Pocket Jockey... isn't really the type of game I enjoy, but it's pretty addicting. The gameplay loop is so quick that I get the appeal. Amazing how it hooks you despite its main components being fairly uninteresting things.

And yet I'm still really tempted to get Steamworld 2. It's the one that most caught my eye, and despite it being a longer story driven game I think I'll be able to put in enough time to make it worth my while? It's also the cheapest, outside of Pocket Jockey and one I really see myself really trying to complete afterwards.

I don't know. It's between Rhythm Heaven and Steamworld. I'll see what I choose.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Of the two, I would say Steamworld Dig 2 is the meatier game, and you can play neatly in chunks

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I picked up that Mario Kart 2ds tonight love it so far. I hate these questions, but does anybody use a screen protector on them? If so, any recommended? Last thing, would it be work putting customer firmware on it since I am not worried about it getting banned since it doesn't have my primary account on it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I picked up that Mario Kart 2ds tonight love it so far. I hate these questions, but does anybody use a screen protector on them? If so, any recommended? Last thing, would it be work putting customer firmware on it since I am not worried about it getting banned since it doesn't have my primary account on it?

I mean if it were me I wouldn't put a protector on it but since its for your kid I probably would.

Also yeah if you aren't going online with it you could put some CFW on it no problem.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

loudog999 posted:

The work involved depends on if you've updated it or not. The stuff it ships (shipped?) with is trivial (I want to say 11.4), but if you let it update to 11.6 it's a headache and I know their most recent update actually straight broke the freeshop stuff so I don't know if it also affected the ability to crack it easily.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking about Rhythm Heaven, I play bass (not well but it's a fun hobby) and I wonder if playing that would help my sense of rhythm allowing me to be better on beat if I were to ever find a band. Just in the demo and while practicing I was often a touch early, getting the beat but not perfectly, particularly in the ping-pong game, which was especially hard.

If it does improve that, even in the slightest, that's a lot of points in its direction.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking about Rhythm Heaven, I play bass (not well but it's a fun hobby) and I wonder if playing that would help my sense of rhythm allowing me to be better on beat if I were to ever find a band. Just in the demo and while practicing I was often a touch early, getting the beat but not perfectly, particularly in the ping-pong game, which was especially hard.

If it does improve that, even in the slightest, that's a lot of points in its direction.

Buy Rocksmith.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Lockstep in Rhythm Heaven changes a man

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I suppose it’s possible. The later challenges require very strict rhythm and timing.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The work involved depends on if you've updated it or not. The stuff it ships (shipped?) with is trivial (I want to say 11.4), but if you let it update to 11.6 it's a headache and I know their most recent update actually straight broke the freeshop stuff so I don't know if it also affected the ability to crack it easily.

It was 11.4. It was a few steps and I had to use my old dsi but I got it up and running. I'm not too worried about the freeshop, more concerned with finding a way to back up the games I own physically so I don't have to carry them with me wherever we go. Plus, it's just going to be a Mario kart machine for the foreseeable future anyway. Thanks for the help thread

Edit: It may have been 11.6 I'm not sure now

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 6, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Heath posted:

Buy Rocksmith.

Have it and love it. I play it fairly regular when regular practice needs to be spiced up. It's not really helping memorize songs, but it's helping flexibility and endurance tons. Also the constant quality DLC doesn't hurt. Rocksmith is great.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Can't believe I just gave Nintendo $80 to buy two copies of Luigi's Mansion on this old dead system. Alas, Dark Moon is the game my girlfriend and I have played the most together, (well... behind ACNL, but that's kind of a different story), thanks to the Scarescraper co-op offering endless modes.

I know the co-op is different for this one but drat I just can't resist.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I never got to play Luigi's Mansion back in the day, it sure is tempting to dust off my 3DS and give my Switch a break, but hoo-boy, $40 is a lot of money.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

40$ is worth it, it's a great game.

I've played it dozens of times, have access to it on Gamecube, and I'm still considering getting the 3DS version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Luigi’s Mansion is one of these games where I always end up doing a full run if I casually put it on. It’s absolutely worth $40.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I beat Luigi's Mansion before I had a memory card

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
To all you NA people who decided to get the Luigi's Mansion remake, you're finally getting our Hidden Mansion.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm in this same situation (I don't want to bring my Switch on this trip although I usually do). From your list Rhythm Heaven is both a super good game, and fills a niche that that Switch won't - on any trip you can pick up and play a minigame. It'll be a bit harder to pick up your Bravely Default save on your next vacation and figure out what your party was going for.

So yes maybe a bit less lasting interest but are you really gonna sit at home and play a long 3DS RPG when you have your consoles with you? My last trip I had way more fun playing the bite sized games like Final Fantasy Theatrythm and Rhythm Heaven than I did trying to restart paused JRPG runs (I will never ever finish Persona Q)

I was actually trying to decide for my next trip between Warioware, Pokemon Ultra Sun (I can get it on sale here) or Kirby Planet Robobot. I think I'll go for warioware because I know the day I'm back I'll never pick up Pokemon again which seems like a waste.

I also love wario

I recommend Steamworld Heist. I still play it all the time.

-It’s a simple and intuitive pick-up-and-play
-Different difficulties, team arrangements, and a decent campaign offers enough gameplay
-Who doesn’t enjoy a game that feels like Worms and X-COM had a baby?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

To all you NA people who decided to get the Luigi's Mansion remake, you're finally getting our Hidden Mansion.

Well that settles it huh, I guess I'm buying Luigi's Mansion!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it not out in Europe?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Is it not out in Europe?

No, releases October 19.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

I read the spoiler but what is it and why does it matter?

curlys gold posted:

I recommend Steamworld Heist. I still play it all the time.

-It’s a simple and intuitive pick-up-and-play
-Different difficulties, team arrangements, and a decent campaign offers enough gameplay
-Who doesn’t enjoy a game that feels like Worms and X-COM had a baby?

Thought about it, but I feel like it'd be one of those games with an optimal way of playing that I wouldn't allow myself to diverge from becoming very repetitive. This happened with me in Darkest Dungeon and made me very quickly regret it.

For anyone who was actually curious to what I ended up getting for my vacation it was: Rhythm Heaven.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In the original NA and JP releases of the game, it was a "hard mode." Except all it did was make it so that you took twice as much damage from everything, and make it so that your vacuum was 1.5x stronger. That was it. There were complaints about it being nearly identical to normal mode, so the EU version added in a bunch more changes such as making it so the mansion is mirrored, adding in more enemies, and giving bosses entirely new attacks, and one of the bosses plays out very differently in EU's version of the hidden mansion. Also looks like the 3DS version does more than just that. It changes some other things as well on top of us getting EU's Hidden Mansion.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 13, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool thanks. Never played any Luigi's Mansion, but it seemed intriguing when it came out. Having the whole series available on one console is pretty nifty. Would definitely consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thought about it, but I feel like it'd be one of those games with an optimal way of playing that I wouldn't allow myself to diverge from becoming very repetitive. This happened with me in Darkest Dungeon and made me very quickly regret it.

Ugh, Steamworld Heist is gorgeous though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFEQhTUOeiI&t=450s

It's underrated—I can't say anything about Darkest Dungeon because I haven't played it, but this game is quite good