Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

The new ones still have really nice VFX and CG animation but something about VFX house animation isn't quite as charming as Disney Feature CG work.

I completely revile the house look of the live-action films. I do like the Cinderella one a lot though, and that one's a genuine improvement.

Weirdly, it did all the things that BaTB's remake did in terms of filling out more material for characters and backstories, it just remembered to have it be legitimately thematic and not loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

I completely revile the house look of the live-action films. I do like the Cinderella one a lot though, and that one's a genuine improvement.

Weirdly, it did all the things that BaTB's remake did in terms of filling out more material for characters and backstories, it just remembered to have it be legitimately thematic and not loving stupid.

It's just... araarrghgh you can't do that to BEAST. Like it should be an actual thrown in jail crime turning the Beast into that loving... THING in the live action version

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Macaluso posted:

It's just... araarrghgh you can't do that to BEAST. Like it should be an actual thrown in jail crime turning the Beast into that loving... THING in the live action version

if we threw people in jail for making bad art there would be no artists - abraham lincoln, probably

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ungulateman posted:

if we threw people in jail for making bad art there would be no artists - abraham lincoln, probably

Doing that to Beast is more of a crime against all art in general, and should be severely punished

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUx9DnQUkA

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's genuinely kinda hard to watch the section on how they turned the Beast into a colossal tool. They just... ruined him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They also ruined Belle.

And the sorceress.

And how true love works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Beauty and the Beast adaptations seem to struggle the most with the look of the Beast. The Disney version is a result of a LOT of very careful design work, iirc, a combination of various animal traits, and something that can variously look scary, noble, cute or ridiculous while remaining recognisable. (Kind of a theme with the strong visuals there, as demonstrated all the talking objects could look a lot freakier with less thoughtful and carefully stylised designs)

And iirc, Gaston is basically Bruce Campbell.

Character-wise is also a tricky bit. Kind of the point of the Beast is to be a spoilt brat in the body of a grown man turned into a monstrous form, which is still a jerk but a very specific kind of jerk. Since he was literally a child when he was transformed and all. (funny thing is it's implied that the curse meant that the creepy manor with a monster and full of talking furniture was left alone during the French Revolution)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You wouldn't have the Beast without Glen Keane's work designing and animating the bear from Fox and the Hound or his phenomenal work on Ratigan. In a way, Beast isn't the culmination of a couple years of design work, more like a decade. It's one of the few truly faultless designs.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
New B&tB shoulda gender-swapped Belle and Beast, but Gaston is still Gaston.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Das Boo posted:

New B&tB shoulda gender-swapped Belle and Beast, but Gaston is still Gaston.

And he's still opening hitting on Belle? Or, I guess, Beau? Interesting...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Genderswapped Beauty and the Beast, but Gaston is Gaston d'Orléans

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I just looked it up to see who it was directed by and it was <drum roll> ... Kenneth Branagh?

Anyway, I liked the live-action Jungle Book. It had a good cast. The live action Lion King next year also has a pretty good cast. I think it could be good. I think it could be the biggest movie of the year if it looks really good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BatB sequel where they team up with the Count of Monte Cristo and fight, like, Fantomas or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

BatB sequel where they team up with the Count of Monte Cristo and fight, like, Fantomas or something.

What we need to do is use Disney's CGI time travel technology to insert the characters from Beauty and the Beast digitally into the Richard Lester Three Musketeers movies.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

The live action Lion King next year also has a pretty good cast. I think it could be good. I think it could be the biggest movie of the year if it looks really good.

Actual talent, chemistry, and charisma were obviously at the bottom of the priority list when the cast was pulled together. While it could be good and will probably make a nice stack of cash with the Disney machine behind it it seems unlikely to stand on actual merit.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LeJackal posted:

Actual talent, chemistry, and charisma were obviously at the bottom of the priority list when the cast was pulled together. While it could be good and will probably make a nice stack of cash with the Disney machine behind it it seems unlikely to stand on actual merit.

...get the gently caress out of here.

No, seriously, what the gently caress are you talking about? Live action Lion King has one of the most charismatic, talented casts since loving Ocean's Eleven.

In what loving world do you live in that Chiwetel Ejiofor, Donald Glover, MOTHERFUCKING BEYONCE are considered to lack talent and charisma?

Christ.

Like, I get being against the idea of Disney's live action remakes but this is a wrong goddamn take.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
James Earl Jones is back and everything.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm not sold on CGIon King because the original is so, so goddamn good (the intro is still one of my favorite things ever animated) but it does seem like they're really trying to make it as good as possible, and stuff like Favreau directing (Jungle Book was fantastic) and the casting (including the return of James Earl Jones) really does suggest that Disney is trying their hardest to make it worth seeing, unlike, say, Beauty and the Beast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beauty and the Beast was the second highest-grossing movie of last year and I'm not really sure how. Like, these remakes all tend to be successful to one degree or another. Some of them haven't set the world on fire but I don't think any of them have bombed. But I can't figure out (this is probably because I don't tend to be terribly interested in most of these in the first place - pretty much just Maleficent, Jungle Book and Lion King have gotten a "That looks interesting" out of me) what made this one that successful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Beauty and the Beast was the second highest-grossing movie of last year and I'm not really sure how. Like, these remakes all tend to be successful to one degree or another. Some of them haven't set the world on fire but I don't think any of them have bombed. But I can't figure out (this is probably because I don't tend to be terribly interested in most of these in the first place - pretty much just Maleficent, Jungle Book and Lion King have gotten a "That looks interesting" out of me) what made this one that successful.

Audience segment starved for content probably.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'd just pin it on marketing and "I liked the thing last time"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

asecondduck posted:

In what loving world do you live in that Chiwetel Ejiofor, Donald Glover, MOTHERFUCKING BEYONCE are considered to lack talent and charisma?

Chiwetel Ejiofor couldn't stand out in his own movie. At least half of Donald Glover's talent is in his facial expression and body movement which will be lost, and Beyonce selling records does not translate to good voice acting. Context matters.

James Earl Jones isn't even sounding all that great lately, age has caught up with him pretty hard and I don't think he'll be able to turn in a performance at the same level as his first go-round.

starkebn posted:

I'd just pin it on marketing and "I liked the thing last time"

Basic marketing principles. Which sucks. All the money and effort could have gone into something original and better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Beyonce was already the extremely memorable queen of the fairies in Epic.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

asecondduck posted:

...get the gently caress out of here.

No, seriously, what the gently caress are you talking about? Live action Lion King has one of the most charismatic, talented casts since loving Ocean's Eleven.

Christ.

Like, I get being against the idea of Disney's live action remakes but this is a wrong goddamn take.

Look, man, slam dunk future EGOT winners and queens of all recorded media don't begin to hold a candle to the kid that was in Home Improvement and then also noted adult baby Ferris Bueller

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was original Lion King the first time a Disney animated movie had something close to an "all-star" cast or is there an earlier one?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Didn't think I had to link to Donglover's stand up on this site, in this thread but...y'know...here we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs_zLnXsZH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_q257t4zXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsPvpEjT7k

So you know... he's not just a pretty face like whoever played Belle or Cinderella or Angelina for Maleficent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Donald Glover is the most sexy renaissance man, and absolute national treasure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As long as it doesn't have that complete goof Idris Elba.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd assumed they were going to mo-cap all the animals.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Didn't think I had to link to Donglover's stand up on this site, in this thread but...y'know...here we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs_zLnXsZH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_q257t4zXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsPvpEjT7k

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd assumed they were going to mo-cap all the animals.

Glover doesn't need motion capture... he's already a beast

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

Basic marketing principles. Which sucks. All the money and effort could have gone into something original and better.

The government should unironically subsidize the production of original IPs. Just, replace the military with it FFS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ALFbrot posted:

Look, man, slam dunk future EGOT winners and queens of all recorded media don't begin to hold a candle to the kid that was in Home Improvement and then also noted adult baby Ferris Bueller

See, this is kind of the thing, though: I feel like if you cram the cast with current and future EGOT winners it ends up being a weirdly crowded movie, whereas getting relative unknowns and "celebs" nobody cares about means the story and performances can stand on their own.

Like, it's the difference between Broderick as Simba (who vanishes into the movie with his VA performance) and Eddie Murphy as Mushu or Robin Williams as the Genie (the movie is so fixated on making sure you know THIS MAN IS FUNNY that it starts dragging the pacing out- and I say this loving the Genie).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
JTT and Broderick were pretty far from "celebs nobody cares about" back then.

And while I agree it can end up crowded if you load the cast up, that wasn't the discussion. Somebody said that "actual talent and charisma must have been at the bottom of the priority list" which is just laughable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Realistic CG animals override my uncanny valley senses and it's all I can focus on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ALFbrot posted:

JTT and Broderick were pretty far from "celebs nobody cares about" back then.

And while I agree it can end up crowded if you load the cast up, that wasn't the discussion. Somebody said that "actual talent and charisma must have been at the bottom of the priority list" which is just laughable.

I was young enough when the LTK game out that most of my classmates had a crush on JTT

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LeJackal posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor couldn't stand out in his own movie.

This is the most baffling opinion. He’s an absolute beacon of charisma is every single thing I’ve ever seen him in.

If you don’t think he stood out in Kinky Boots then there is something legit wrong with your perception.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LeJackal posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor couldn't stand out in his own movie. At least half of Donald Glover's talent is in his facial expression and body movement which will be lost, and Beyonce selling records does not translate to good voice acting. Context matters.

James Earl Jones isn't even sounding all that great lately, age has caught up with him pretty hard and I don't think he'll be able to turn in a performance at the same level as his first go-round.

I'm going to bring up the elephant in the living room, but.

Is it because they're black.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I can see that. It's kind of like how Chihiro from Spirited Away (who, coincidentally enough, was voiced by the same girl who voiced Lilo in the English dub of the movie) is described as "selfish", even though she doesn't come off as selfish AT ALL to American audiences. The worst things she does in the film are A) talk about how sad she is about having to move to a new town and leave all of her friends behind and B) get freaked out about a super suspicious amusement park and want to leave quickly (oh, and it turns out this fear is totally justified since that amusement park is 100% haunted and her dumbass parents get turned into pigs). Openly expressing strong negative emotions (even when those emotions are appropriate to the situation) is seen as a sign of selfishness and immaturity in Japan, and Lilo (who's parents just died) expresses many strong negative emotions (even though she's also shown to be very sweet and cares a lot about her family and the people around her).

Lol pretty much. That Lilo was an actual person with emotions having and expressing negative emotions at her parents death instead of quietly staying in a corner (where no adults would have to see her) studying Singapore Math books to become a doctor and honor her parents and not immediatly kowtowing to authority figures makes her THE WORST KID EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Lion King live action cast is fine, but it kind of highlights the creative bankruptcy of the whole thing. Like, what is John Oliver going to bring to the role of Zazu over Rowan Atkinson? Eric Andre vs. Cheech Marin? You look at The Jungle Book's cast and you see a lot of really surprising and creative picks, but with The Lion King you have a young popular actor replaced with a young popular actor, a British comedian replaced with a British comedian, and so on. They couldn't even recast Mufasa!