Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Were you running any mods?

nope! only a coloured buttons mod which i can't imagine having any impact

also apparently mexico got confirmed on stream as getting a focus tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think there should be an achievement for accidentally nuking yourself. Not that it happens very often :sweatdrop:

Technically there is, if you're playing Australia. Show those Emus what for!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hearts of Iron Ghouls IV: Man the Ghosts

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Davincie posted:

also apparently mexico got confirmed on stream as getting a focus tree

:monocle::mrgw::iia::freakout:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You should watch yesterday's stream if you haven't already. They spend almost as much time tiptoeing around unannounced or unfinished features as they do showing off the changes.

Nothing really new but will give you insight I to what to expect. The new US focus tree and politics system is really different from what other countries have.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Nothing really new but will give you insight I to what to expect. The new US focus tree and politics system is really different from what other countries have.
We already got a DD on the US Senate/House and whatever - do you mean something more than that?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I've accidentally nuked myself in MP before. The nuke landed on a group of enemy divisions opposite my line, but because I technically had control of the state it ended up crippling my supply and causing all sorts of problems for me. So yeah check that before you drop the big ones.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

We already got a DD on the US Senate/House and whatever - do you mean something more than that?

Seeing it being used is much different than just reading about how it will work.

You can't just grab a focus because it's what you want, many of them require a threshold of senators and congressmen to choose and others will result in you either gaining or losing support when you finsh so you have to look at what you want, determine if you are able to actually get it and if not what else can you do to help gain the support you need. And from there, based on the outcome of whatever your first choice was, you have to plan on what you'll be able to do next if you end up potentially losing or gaining a bunch of support which could impact future choices.

Thanks to a bunch of random events (which kept loving with Daniel in the stream) your plans may have to further change. Many of them were just random '# senators' choose to defect/side with you but there were also some where if you prioritized some type of development in specific areas you would gain support. But if you said yes and failed you'd lose support instead so you can't just say yes to everyone and shrug your shoulders when they get pissed.

I found it neat. And it changed up the "beeline down optimal path and ram tanks into each other" gameplay that you typically see.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

anything to give the us something to do until they can join the war

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I would really be interested in some kind of military industrial complex simulation for the USA that combines with the production system. You could make the 36-40 period all about designing and procuring equipment for the war. Maybe force the player to spend political influence if they want certain equipment early, to simulate stuff like how the US military absolutely hated the Thompson and had no interest in equipping the army with SMGs until they were forced to recognize their worth in the hands of the enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mby4hOq-DpI

This video is about the post-war period and the m14 vs rejected AR10, FAL and later the m16, but it still applies to how the US military mindset was when it came to adopting new equipment.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dramicus posted:

how the US military absolutely hated the Thompson and had no interest in equipping the army with SMGs until they were forced to recognize their worth in the hands of the enemy.

What was the reason for this? I'm starting to find the behind-the-scenes stuff of WW2 pretty cool. The thread brought up the tank destroyer doctrine of the US and the inter-service rivalry Japan had which hurt their war efforts. I want to know more about home front/chain of command squabbles which affected combat effectiveness.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

buglord posted:

What was the reason for this? I'm starting to find the behind-the-scenes stuff of WW2 pretty cool. The thread brought up the tank destroyer doctrine of the US and the inter-service rivalry Japan had which hurt their war efforts. I want to know more about home front/chain of command squabbles which affected combat effectiveness.

Don't know about the Thompson scuffle but German tank production is a huge one in HOI4 diverting from reality. This lecture goes into how hosed up it was compared to the USA and USSR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ&t=1576s

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only way to simulate germany's industrial setup properly would also make germany utterly unplayable

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
A completely accurate simulation of World War 2 would be a terrible game because the outcome of the war would be a foregone conclusion.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

There were several reasons for this, such as the old guard insisting that men should be trained for 1 shot 1 kill instead of spraying ammunition at the enemy, but the biggest reason was that the Thompson was developed by a private entity. The US Ordinance board was immensely resistant to using non-government developed weapons and actively sabotaged any prospective equipment from the private sector. This continued until the Vietnam war when the m16 was adopted and an investigation found that there was a conspiracy to get the m14 readopted at any expense, including soldier's lives.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Acute Grill posted:

A completely accurate simulation of World War 2 would be a terrible game because the outcome of the war would be a foregone conclusion.

I'd say it'd be a good start. You can then use their existing "strengthen country X" sliders if you want to buff up the Axis to make it a 50/50 shot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dramicus posted:

There were several reasons for this, such as the old guard insisting that men should be trained for 1 shot 1 kill instead of spraying ammunition at the enemy, but the biggest reason was that the Thompson was developed by a private entity. The US Ordinance board was immensely resistant to using non-government developed weapons and actively sabotaged any prospective equipment from the private sector. This continued until the Vietnam war when the m16 was adopted and an investigation found that there was a conspiracy to get the m14 readopted at any expense, including soldier's lives.

the US BuOrd was a bit of a clusterfuck

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm gonna watch the vid and look into the M16 fiasco. Christ, sucks to die using an old gun because someone would get their feelings hurt if you used a new model.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In fairness when the m16 was first deployed to Vietnam you'd also have died because it jammed :v:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

In fairness when the m16 was first deployed to Vietnam you'd also have died because it jammed :v:

It jammed because the US Bureau of Ordnance refused to issue cleaning kits because they wanted it to jam so they could switch back to the m14 which was produced by government arsenals. Also, they issued the wrong ammunition (higher powered than the ammunition tested in the Armalite factory), for the same reason. This is what the investigation found and ever since then, the weapons have been produced by the private sector.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 5, 2018

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The MY Carbine was a better weapon of war than the Thompson anyhow.

Edit: I meant M1, dang it.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 6, 2018

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

buglord posted:

The big deal with .45 smgs from thompson etc wasn't that they were less than what the troops wanted but rather the price, and that troops could have a shitload of grease guns vs. thompsons.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The MY Carbine was a better weapon of war than the Thompson anyhow.

Most veterans will readily admit that that Thompson was great to have in a firefight, but that no one wanted to carry the bitch around in the meanwhile.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The one time I fired a Thompson at a shooting range, there was an old WW2 vet who started going on about how the sound of a Thompson would scare the crap out of all the Germans and made them more likely to surrender without a fight. I could see it, really, it sounds intimidating as gently caress. They're really not very heavy, I think an M249 weighs twice as much and those really aren't too bad once you get used to them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I would assume it's more of an ammo thing

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Also it's in comparison to other weapons at the time, the Thompson weighs more than an m1 garand.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's why I love the M1 Carbine so much. It delivered a much more powerful round than the Thompson but weighed half as much. It's not fully automatic, but full auto isn't always a blessing. Consider the Army's flirtation with three round burst on the M16 and M4...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
SMGs are sick. Just look at the PPSh.

metal

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Dramicus posted:

It jammed because the US Bureau of Ordnance refused to issue cleaning kits because they wanted it to jam so they could switch back to the m14 which was produced by government arsenals. Also, they issued the wrong ammunition (higher powered than the ammunition tested in the Armalite factory), for the same reason. This is what the investigation found and ever since then, the weapons have been produced by the private sector.

I have approximately zero knowledge of the history of US small arms procurement, but this sounds hella :tinfoil:, got any sources for this stuff?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loezi posted:

I have approximately zero knowledge of the history of US small arms procurement, but this sounds hella :tinfoil:, got any sources for this stuff?

It seems fairly plausible to me. Military contracts are all politically driven. The idea that they would deliberately sabotage a contract that didn't go the way they wanted even at the cost of soldier's lives isn't particularly far-fetched.

It's not about the M16, but the movie "The Pentagon Wars" covers this kind of thing. There's a well known clip from it about the development of the Bradley and the clusterfuck it became - dramatized, but still basically representing the process of "build what the brass wants, not what the troops want".

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Loezi posted:

This guy does a good job of explaining how it went down. None of it is :tinfoil:, the federal investigation into why the m16s were failing and the findings are all public. Ever since then, all small arms have been produced by the private sector to avoid similar conflicts of interest where the ones choosing the weapons are also the ones producing some.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Loezi posted:

A Congressional investigation was called at one point, and the actual report they produced is publicly available now.

A bit of reading suggests it's a mix of truth and exaggeration - the problems described were real, but only some of them were due to malice and bias by the procurers. While there was certainly a lot of bias toward the M14 on the part of the people overseeing the decisions, there were also problems stemming from the design of the gun itself, as well as problems in dealing with the private companies that sold the M16 to the Army, and problems stemming from the confused and poorly planned way in which the US blundered its way into Vietnam in the first place. And there's plenty of incompetence to go around on all sides. The report actually goes out of its way to note that, due to turnover and bureaucratic shuffling in the Ordnance Corps at the time, the M16 was actually shielded from the "traditional bias against any item which was not Ordnance developed", and that the gun would have been far worse if the Chief of Ordnance position had been filled. On the other hand, the program was badly mismanaged on all levels, with little actual oversight or direction, which was found to be primarily responsible for most of the issues.

For example, the change in ammunition wasn't a matter of sabotage. It seems that the manufacturer of the original ammo type suddenly decided they couldn't keep up with Army purchasing demands, forcing the Army to look for alternative ammo. The alternative ammo proved to be problematic, but poor test protocols meant that took a while to emerge, and in any case the military couldn't find anyone willing to make better ammo for quite a while.

There were also other issues, such as the fact that administrative confusion and a focus on getting men and guns to the frontlines meant that a lot of people ended up not actually getting trained on the M16. For example, at the beginning of 1968:

quote:

Although men generally preferred to carry this weapon in combat, some misgivings were entertained about its reliability. Introduction of the chromed chamber appeared to reduce the number of failures to extract, but this improvement had not been fielded long enough to permic adequate evaluation. Additional data collected indicated that:

a. Approximately 23% of the personnel were lubricating their ammunition, which is contrary to all published directives.
b. The buffer retrofit program had not been completed. (16% of the personnel questioned reported no new buffers).
c. Approximately 28% of the over 2,000 personnel questioned had not received M16 training after arrival in Vietnam and 24% reported receiving no M16 training before arrival in Vietnam
d. Approximately 10% of the personnel had never zeroed their weapon.-and,another; 33% had not zeroed within the previous three months.
e. 18% of the personnel reported that their units did not test fire weapons.
f. Although the rifles are cleaned almost daily, the magazines and ammunition are cleaned on the average only once a week.
g. Adequate supplies of cleaning materials are available in theater; however, shortages do exist at unit level from time to time because of distribution problems.

It should be noted that many of the maintenance, training, and supply problems found by the previous surveys still existed.

As for the lack of cleaning kits for the gun, it seems that the Army had originally not placed much importance on that since they didn't expect to be using the M16 as their primary weapon, so when the sudden demands of the Vietnam War had forced the gun into full service, the Army was left woefully unprepared. For example, the gun didn't originally come with chamber brushes, and the Army didn't sign a contract to buy them until 1966. Between that and the training problems, many M16s were very badly maintained, but the report doesn't ascribe that to malicious intent on anyone's part.

quote:

3. "That shortages of cleaning equipment, lack of proper training and instructions contributed to the excessive malfunction rate of the -M16 rifle in Vietnam."
Pro:
The requirement for a chamber brush was identified by the USAF Marksmanship Unit, Lackland AFB and by the weapon designer. This information was provided to HQ USAMC and HQ USACDC by the Project Manager, Rifles on 3 June 1963. A contract was not awarded for procurement until 10 May 1966. As of February 1968 all riflemen in Vietnam still did not have a chamber brush even though adequate stocks were available in theater.

There have been cases of inadequate and improper training on the M16, as evidenced by the number of men who lubricate ammunition and fail to zero their weapons. Weapons and ammunition are not adequately inspected for maintenance because the supervisory personnel have not been given sufficient training with the weapon. These conditions have no doubt contributed to the excessive malfunction rate of the M16 in Vietnam.

Con:
It is true that shortages of cleaning equipment and lack of proper training and instruction contributed to the excessive malfunction rate of the M16 in Vietnam. However, it must be recognized that this system was introduced on an expedited basis
at the request of COMUSMACV in December 1965. Accelerated introduction of the M16, although without adequate logistical support, provided the US units a great increase in firepower in spite of its malfunctions and permitted those units armed with the M16 to repulse enemy assaults and achieve impressive successes through the aggressive use of this automatic firepower capability.

13. "That corrective action on deficiencies reported and product improvement of the weapon have been unnecessarily delayed"
Pro:
A chamber brush was requested by the USAF and considered necessary by the weapon designer in 1963; yet it was not issued in the field until 1966. An on-weapon storage well for cleaning material was proposed by the manufacturer in 1964 and is not in production to date. High cyclic rate and fouling were reported in the 1965 SAWS evaluation. The new buffer retrofit was delayed until 1967 because of cold weather testing which it still does not pass.
Con:
The bolt closure device and the chrome chamber were expedited into production.
Opinion:
Concur with the finding.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

This guy does a good job of explaining how it went down. None of it is :tinfoil:, the federal investigation into why the m16s were failing and the findings are all public. Ever since then, all small arms have been produced by the private sector to avoid similar conflicts of interest where the ones choosing the weapons are also the ones producing some.

I'm sure that never happens anymore lol.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm sure that never happens anymore lol.

Well we did have that nonsense with the Bradley... and XM8 rifle... and the littoral... and the F35....

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Dramicus posted:

Well we did have that nonsense with the Bradley... and XM8 rifle... and the littoral... and the F35....

whatever did happen to the XM8

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

military decided that it didnt really give that many benefits for the cost. Like yeah its nice but its not really a quantum leap over regular rear end M4s

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I think it was a similar issue to the SCAR where the big selling point of a "modular combat rifle" that can be configured to fit multiple roles as needed turned out to not really be worth the trouble and that just having specialized equipment is fine.

Incidentally this is also the problem with the F35 but Lockheed has more lobbying money than H&K did I guess.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

military decided that it didnt really give that many benefits for the cost. Like yeah its nice but its not really a quantum leap over regular rear end M4s

They ended up going for the HK416, which is basically just a German refresh of the M4 design. Right now it's just the Marines and special forces using it though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I don’t even know anything about planes, but if you told me you wanted one chassis to cover everything from interception, escort, cas, bombing, carrier operation, vtol etc. I’d laugh my rear end off. gently caress the F35. You need specialized tools for good results under war conditions, not some flying Swiss Army knife with 30 different blades on it.

E: don’t use a steak knife when you need a stiletto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Why worry about manufacturing good guns when 50% of the people firing them don't want to hit the enemy anyway?