Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Literally never coming out ever. Also he was the one who said you could stab Ted Cruz on the Senate floor and no one would care so I doubt it's him

Zil posted:

Because Beto asked him not to.

Which was smart because then Cruz could just talk about Obama for the next 40 days.

On that subject can we talk about how trash our candidate for Gov is? I mean I'm going to vote for her but I don't like it ughhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
She is the prime example of the need for Beto to do good so that we can attract better quality candidates for state wide races.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's shocking how limp her campaign is. I generally think of myself as in the top few percentiles of politically active people I know, and I came close to not even knowing she was running for a long time. Beto's crew made drat well sure people knew who he was.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I couldn't tell you a single thing about her.

Except that she's a cop.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Marxalot posted:

I couldn't tell you a single thing about her.

Except that she's a cop.

She's also gay that's all they got really

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nominating a cop was a brilliant plan to win over millions of moderate republicans

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Sid Miller may be literally the dumbest man in Texas. gently caress that old gently caress for ever.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SirKibbles posted:

She's also gay that's all they got really

The woke cop.

Kamela/Lupe 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lupe's probably a nice person or whatever but A) don't vote for cops and B) she has zero charisma and has articulated zero platform so yay for another round of old bitch sides as my governor.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Lupe's probably a nice person or whatever but A) don't vote for cops and B) she has zero charisma and has articulated zero platform so yay for another round of old bitch sides as my governor.

Counterpoint:
Cops aren't universally bad, this is stupid
and
gently caress Greg Abbott

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe there are some good cops but they sure as poo poo haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lupe is also a landlord.

Apparently she buys buildings and purposefully rents them out for below market rate? I have no idea if that’s actually true

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Safe Word posted:

Cops aren't universally bad

:lol:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Lupe is also a landlord.

*extremely The Aristocrats voice* Texas Democrats!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Cops aren't universally bad, this is stupid

lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

some of them, i assume, are good people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1048238773530775552

MY RIGHTS

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I have so many questions that I don't think I actually want answers to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't wait for the lege to overturn that one

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I mean, the Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo is a pretty good dude, y'all

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

This included local government officials, but also extended to a Christian nonprofit that called it a gateway for human trafficking.

Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that a robo-bordello (robodello?) is supposed to avoid? :psyduck:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that a robo-bordello (robodello?) is supposed to avoid? :psyduck:

Presumably the argument is that once Bad Men have become Worse Men by sticking their Manhood into Devices, they will then want to stick it other places too, or perhaps even that the robodello will trick Decent Men into becoming Bad Men and then Worse Men.

Gratuitous capitalization required.

quote:

“I’m not trying to be the moral police or anything like that, but I am charged with the health and safety of the people within our city,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner

If the concern is the, um, hygienic nature of these businesses, I think that could have been both a) made clearer b) resolved with some helpful zoning and sanitary regulations. (And time and a half for whoever has to inspect them for compliance.)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Christian groups call everything remotely sexual that. :ssh:

zoux posted:

*extremely The Aristocrats voice* Texas Democrats!

I think Beto is too at a minimum he made is money in real estate.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zonohedron posted:

Presumably the argument is that once Bad Men have become Worse Men by sticking their Manhood into Devices, they will then want to stick it other places too, or perhaps even that the robodello will trick Decent Men into becoming Bad Men and then Worse Men.

Gratuitous capitalization required.

Wouldn't we just appoint them to the Supreme Court then? Or is it a problem of oversaturation?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Houston has a legit big issue with human sex trafficking too. So you'd think any option that might actually reduce real harm would be worth at least considering.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

Houston has a legit big issue with human sex trafficking too. So you'd think any option that might actually reduce real harm would be worth at least considering.

Do they actually? Or do police there just do a lot of "human trafficking" stings that are actually regular ol' vice operations with a scarier name?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zonohedron posted:

If the concern is the, um, hygienic nature of these businesses

That's where my mind immediately went to.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Do they actually? Or do police there just do a lot of "human trafficking" stings that are actually regular ol' vice operations with a scarier name?

This isn't an area of academic specialty or anything, but basically yes. From my understanding it is a combination of a hub for Mexico/cartels, plus proximity to the O&G industry. At least for the stuff beyond normal major city prostitution/trafficking concerns.

Edit: it is also a big enough issue locally that people are willing to pay major dollars for billboards to try an raise awareness. Which is anecdotal at best, but just remembered about them.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 5, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The GOP does push the human trafficking narrative not because of their deeply held concerns for marginalized women but because they see it as a vector for increased border security and other immigration crackdowns.

It's a problem, it does happen and we need to do something about it. But Republicans, and this may shock you, aren't backing it in good faith. So in a state like Texas, especially now with a federal government as inimical towards immigration since like, I dunno when, it's hard to trust stats generated by government agencies.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

The GOP does push the human trafficking narrative not because of their deeply held concerns for marginalized women but because they see it as a vector for increased border security and other immigration crackdowns.

It's a problem, it does happen and we need to do something about it. But Republicans, and this may shock you, aren't backing it in good faith. So in a state like Texas, especially now with a federal government as inimical towards immigration since like, I dunno when, it's hard to trust stats generated by government agencies.

Never forget that most Republican attacks are projections of evil they are engaged in themselves. I still fully expect for it to eventually come out that they are running pedo sex traffic rings out of Papa John's restaurants.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This was brought up in the context of considering the idea if a robobrothel could somehow help impact the volume of human trafficking and if the idea was worth exploring.

I'm all for gently caress Reoublicans forever and ever and they can't be trusted even if they say the sky is blue, I just don't see how that point is specifically relevant to the topic.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Some giant nerd's westworld dreams just got shattered

E: Moreso than watching season 2, I mean.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

vote for cops if the alternative is a republican

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skex posted:

Never forget that most Republican attacks are projections of evil they are engaged in themselves.

Hence their focus on all the Soros conspiracy poo poo while they take billions from the Mercers, Kochs and Adelsons of the world.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

No Safe Word posted:

Counterpoint:

:wrong:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SirKibbles posted:

Christian groups call everything remotely sexual that. :ssh:

if it makes y'all feel better, I do lovely burnouts infront of KSBJ about once a week

donate to my car parts gofundme for when I break something

PostNouveau posted:

vice stings but somehow woke this time

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AlexCervinatas/status/1048389820706435074

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
keeping the tradition of amarillo mindfuck surrealism alive

also the brutalist mcdonalds' beloved mother is from amarillo and she is into weird poo poo which may be because she is from amarillo

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I am baffled yet intrigued.

Looking at Amarillo on google maps, I am also weirded out by the layout of the roads. What horrors lay beneath these perfect yet slightly off-kilter grids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there's not much to do there and the terrain is barren and devoid of trees so people might go a little nuts