Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:golfclap:

No sarcasm, that was thorough as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's really hard to not go off on wild tangents writing this up about how loving stupid the interview process is for this garbage. It's awful and everybody hates it on both sides of the table.

But fit interviews are where a lot of people get snagged because they don't know that's what is going on behind the scenes, don't know that they're being evaluated, and it's 90% soft skills.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for that

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The "sir this is a (...)" fingers are itching, but my word, I'm gonna read the gently caress out of that post tomorrow morning

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hate writing cover letters but doing so is part of the reason I have my job right now. Out of the five candidates three didn't really meet the requirements (Or write cover letters), and the other guy who did didn't give a good answer about self teaching.

I wouldn't pay to fly to an interview out of my own pocket. I got burned a couple of years ago by a company that made me travel to the interview. 5 hour drive. They have kind of a lovely reputation for grabbing recent grads, and paying them poo poo until they have enough experience to go elsewhere. Plus it's a family owned company so there's no room for advancement at all. I was willing to put up with that for a couple months to get my required internship done though. Didn't get the job for whatever reason. If they called me up right now and offered me a job I'd probably tell them to go gently caress themselves, advice against burning bridges be damned.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
For negotiations, Getting To Yes or Difficult Conversation are good books. Alternatively take a negotiations class if one is offered anywhere within 100 miles.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
"Check the syllabus."

Jesus Christ if I never hear that phrase again as long as I live I can die happy.

And holy poo poo what is with these people and APA formatting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

fuckkkk APA and its nuisances

All I’m really familiar with after HS, not sure if the others are better/worse.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
MLA can gently caress itself to death

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The bulk of the scientific/medical industry uses APA.

I went through undergrad/grad using ASA, the American Sociological Association format. It's like the twin brother of APA that got kicked in the head by a mule at an early age and we don't compare the two anymore.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

It has taken me over half this semester to finally get over being mad that I have to use APA (MSW-program) instead of the best system Chicago (History undergrad)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Good news is that since APA is industry standard for a lot of things, there's citation programs and plugins galore. There's EndNote, Zotero, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Citation machine does all my APA stuff when needed. Most articles I read come from journals so the repository just spits out the citation with the text for easy copying.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Microsoft word has APA template and reference/bibliography which keeps all your citations which is nice. gently caress its table of contents though. I could never get that to work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does your school not have an online database where you can search for a paper or article or whatever and at the end it has the citation for every format?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
In between this

EBB posted:

Citation machine does all my APA stuff when needed. Most articles I read come from journals so the repository just spits out the citation with the text for easy copying.

And this

Cojawfee posted:

Does your school not have an online database where you can search for a paper or article or whatever and at the end it has the citation for every format?

It's hard to feel any sympathy. Mendeley, Zotero, school library search and wherever I'm pulling papers from all give me proper citations. It's a literal copy and past except for Mendeley and Zotero and those are just push a button. There's not really any reason to gently caress this up or not do it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
google scholar also has a cite button

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

fuckkkk APA and its nuisances

All I’m really familiar with after HS, not sure if the others are better/worse.

Google Scholar!!!!!!!

Also Vas that was awesome and mostly representative of my Engineering meandering.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why does the online application kick out people who have phds?

ignore me if this is answered later. It’s a long post!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

Why does the online application kick out people who have phds?

ignore me if this is answered later. It’s a long post!

They probably don't want over qualified people that they would have to pay too much because of their PhD.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vasudus posted:

Ok gents, I've been doing a lot of interviews lately...

I thought all this was common sense

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah it's a retention ~human capital~ thing.

The example given was for a junior position, something which I should have specified. So we were looking for someone who was either going to graduate within a semester (meaning we can do all employment related inprocessing and get the clearance done before they start work), had just graduated, or had a year or two worth of experience at most.

People that are wildly overqualified for positions tend to be bad fits for a number of reasons. A lot of times they just need something to keep a roof over their head...while they wait for the next big thing. Which isn't what you want, unless you have a place for them to land. In which case you should just open a requisition for that skill level. But senior, experienced people in junior roles tend to not be good team players, or are resistant to tasks because they view the work as beneath them. Which is true, it is.

Woof Blitzer posted:

I thought all this was common sense

holy :lol: people are loving awful at interviewing on a whole my dude

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I made the decision to not hire someone today because she admitted to me that her fiance will be paroled next year after a 15 plus year sentence for burgalary and therefore wouldn't be allowed to keep a firearm at home.

Did I overreact?

I work in Cash Logistics.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, either that reason or for the reason that she was dumb enough to just drop that in an interview, holy poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
lol

"Yeah, I'm about to marry a burglar. What's the code to the safe again?"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So she either waited for someone who was in prison for a good while, or got engaged to someone she met who happened to be in prison. I'd say you made the right choice.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Heres a question regarding resumes: which has more weight? Experience or degree? Lets say you had two resumes and 1 had the education and the other had the experience. Which wins?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soulex posted:

Heres a question regarding resumes: which has more weight? Experience or degree? Lets say you had two resumes and 1 had the education and the other had the experience. Which wins?

I legitimately keep multiple versions of my resume around for this and choose based on what I know about the company. Not necessarily for experience/education stuff but for federal/jobs which require a clearance I go more heavy handed on the military experience, but for engineering jobs I keep the verbage much more terse and go heavier on my industry experience.

Also, a particular point id like to agree with Vas about is taking interviews as practice even if you aren't 100% job searching. Much more comfortable with the boiler plate HR questions, and you have a much better feel if an interview is going well or not.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 5, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Experience or degree depends on a lot of different factors, and I can reasonably only touch on a few of them.

If the company uses any of the popular ~talent management~ software that's out there, they can straight up set criteria for automatic rejection and your resume will never see a human eye if you don't check off the right boxes. If you can get the resume in front of someone somehow, then you have a little more wiggle room. But if they're a large company with an education policy, you still might be SOL.

Unfortunately I can only personally speak for my specific industry, the DoD medical industry: almost everyone has at least one masters degree. Juniors hired with a bachelors will find themselves hitting a ceiling around year 3-4ish as they try and move out of junior roles, and probably a good...third? or so of our juniors right now on my larger ~25 person admin team are in grad school while working. But we're the exception, not the norm.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Can't I just do the rest of this IPC Standards class in one shot please?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Are there any recommendations for gre prep courses? Either online or through or in person through kaplan?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I bought the Kaplan books. They were perfect for me because they have example of good, mediocre, and bad writing, as well as several difficulty levels for banks of questions. If drilling material or doing sample exams is your thing it really helps.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Depends on what you need probably. I was out of school 10 years and took an online course over a month and it was pretty good. Then just drilled problems in books, mostly math cause that was my weak point. I didn't practice writing and that was definitely a mistake though. Also practice the test a few times under realistic conditions, I ran out of time on the math section and left questions unanswered.

You may also want to practice reading at a high level depending on what you want to study. Business has a huge amount of reading and so does engineering if you start doing research and getting used to it helps.

It's really not a big deal as long as you create a schedule and stick to it and use an option that you are comfortable with.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I took the GRE today with about four hours of actual prep and while I did score the minimum I needed for the program I'm trying to get into, I regret not dedicating more time. I too ran out of time on the math sections and just selected random options on about five questions.

The little studying I did was with the official ETS guide from Amazon and a good chunk of the quantitative reasoning questions on the tests looked awfully similar to questions I saw in the book. I feel pretty confident saying that if I gave myself time to completely review just that book I could have scored around 160 in each.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Throwing out ideas in my engineering entrepreneurship group I said a flushable tampon cause I hate pulling apart macerator pumps. Unfortunately the women in the group are all about changing tampons and their menstrual experience so I've spent most of the quarter focused on this. Even worse, the ideas are solid and the market is huge so I can't find a way out. I think every female I've talked to has had the same "What the gently caress" moment followed by intense interest.

Its going to be an interesting and hosed up year.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Throwing out ideas in my engineering entrepreneurship group I said a flushable tampon cause I hate pulling apart macerator pumps. Unfortunately the women in the group are all about changing tampons and their menstrual experience so I've spent most of the quarter focused on this. Even worse, the ideas are solid and the market is huge so I can't find a way out. I think every female I've talked to has had the same "What the gently caress" moment followed by intense interest.

You're now a market disruptor. Welcome to the Valley

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

You're now a market disruptor. Welcome to the Valley

Found out our main idea, supported by market research, a 100% organic cotton tampon, was already done by Lola. They've managed $35 mil in funding in the 3 years since conception with 100% organic cotton products, listed ingredients and direct to consumer with options. Not sure if it's worth moving forward that way or focusing on menstrual cramps or somewhere else such as materials since they are not very environmentally friendly.

37m women get moderate to severe cramps that can be debilitating. One thing that came up was herbal tampons to stop that. There's only one company that does anything like that with a THC/CBD suppository at $50/4. An actual tampon would require FDA approval but if we got that we would be printing money and providing a benefit to society.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

lightpole posted:

lightpole posted:

Found out our main idea, supported by market research, a 100% organic cotton tampon, was already done by Lola. They've managed $35 mil in funding in the 3 years since conception with 100% organic cotton products, listed ingredients and direct to consumer with options. Not sure if it's worth moving forward that way or focusing on menstrual cramps or somewhere else such as materials since they are not very environmentally friendly.

37m women get moderate to severe cramps that can be debilitating. One thing that came up was herbal tampons to stop that. There's only one company that does anything like that with a THC/CBD suppository at $50/4. An actual tampon would require FDA approval but if we got that we would be printing money and providing a benefit to society.

There's not going to be any great ideas on menstrual experiences that are not already done. The big companies that make these products try to make sure word doesn't get out about anything that will take away their business.

Here's a once popular thread on reusable cups (it seems to have died in 2016 and I still had it bookmarked): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365134

The ultimate product. No physical waste, made of silicone, no chemicals, a lot of women say it reduces their cramps (I can attest to that), no risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome, and just 1 single cup definitely has the ability to last more than 1 year. It will set a woman back $33 at target. That's it. But most women have never heard of it. Because they won't be spending their monthly dues on tampons/pads.

Mention cups to them and see if they've ever heard about them. The fact that you will know more about them than they do should be enough to steer them into a different direction, since there's really not much you can come up with/improve upon in the menstrual world better than reusable cups.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Sarah posted:

There's not going to be any great ideas on menstrual experiences that are not already done. The big companies that make these products try to make sure word doesn't get out about anything that will take away their business.

Here's a once popular thread on reusable cups (it seems to have died in 2016 and I still had it bookmarked): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365134

The ultimate product. No physical waste, made of silicone, no chemicals, a lot of women say it reduces their cramps (I can attest to that), no risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome, and just 1 single cup definitely has the ability to last more than 1 year. It will set a woman back $33 at target. That's it. But most women have never heard of it. Because they won't be spending their monthly dues on tampons/pads.

Mention cups to them and see if they've ever heard about them. The fact that you will know more about them than they do should be enough to steer them into a different direction, since there's really not much you can come up with/improve upon in the menstrual world better than reusable cups.

A decent amount of our survey consisted of sorority girls due to time constraints and they had heard of them. Tampons were chosen due to the convenience as respondents wanted an effective product that they didn't have to worry about in public. We haven't explored this as over 80% of the respondents preferred tampons.

There is a surprising amount of innovation right now, considering there hasn't been a lot of change in 85 years or so. Lola is 3 years old and started by 2 women and there are a cluster of companies moving in that direction since there's money there. Plus products like Tampax Pearl, which aside from the tampon comes in a wrapper that is quiet to take off and doesnt "sound like I'm opening a bag of chips" in the restroom. We also realized that women dont talk about their menstrual cycle among themselves, and thus the interest, and were looking for opportunities to bring education into it or figure out a way to provide products for homeless women or third world countries.

Just surprised it took us a week to pull out things that P&G has been ignoring for years and women are screaming for. Even if we can't make headway with tampons, the market for female health monitoring apps is thin and there are plenty of other opportunities now that we've actually started looking.

Edit: Not ignoring your idea but it was already hard enough to be taken seriously when everyone else had some fancy app or bionic arm they dont have the time or resources to ever complete, let alone in 10 weeks. We can definitely have a prototype and might be able to even sell it before we graduate.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I will never understand women’s bathroom habits. It’s baffling. Everyone knows what’s going on in there. We pretend like nothing is happening. Why is it so embarrassing opening up a tampon wrapper? Everyone goes through the same thing.

I took a microbiology class at OSU in a giant auditorium. There were over 200 students. There was one bathroom with 3 stalls. There was a poopoff going on. Young girls are embarrassed to poop in public so they sit down and hold it until everyone is gone. There was a line of 10+ women doing the pee dance outside, every minute more joined and more frustration. I opened the door and yelled in “poo poo or get out there’s a lot of us out here about to piss ourselves”. No one would budge. Eventually everyone left the line to go up to the 3rd floor (no women’s bathrooms on the 2nd).

In hindsight I made it worse that day because there was definitely no way those 3 were going to show their face as the poop holders, but maybe in the future when they got older they realized everyone poops and if you have to poop in public you woman up and do it.

Anyway, good luck with your project! Hope you can knock it out.