Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
It’s one of my favorite DS9 episodes and I’m excited for Greatest Generation to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Sunrise posted:

It’s one of my favorite DS9 episodes and I’m excited for Greatest Generation to get to it.

It's one of the best episodes of anything

But like most best episodes of anything it's a payoff that needs what's come before it to be really good. I see these lists where people want to show Trek n00bs Measure of a Man and The Inner Light and BoBW and The Visitor and sometimes Civil Defense is on that list and I really don't think it would be good at all without a couple seasons of who Gul Dukat is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I rewatched it I noticed a few things

1) As Quark and Odo are trapped and the situation escalates, Starfleet personnel continue to roam about the promenade outside looking completely unconcerned
2) Garak got Dukats dad prosecuted? I didn't remember that! That's really interesting!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corpse posted:

2) Garak got Dukats dad prosecuted? I didn't remember that! That's really interesting!

So natch, they don't follow up on it.

However, it ends up sort of weird in the context of Dukat's conversation with Sisko in the Maquis two-parter, because if Cardassian justice is perfect, and Cardassians don't make mistakes, then you can't really blame someone who was part of the system that got your dad executed.

Fun fact: According to "Tribunal", family members are present at the executions, which are part of a globally televised event to inspire and entertain the citizenry, so sisko could probably pull up a clip of Dukat watching his dad bite the big one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1047847434737635328

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love the loving Quark callout towards Sisko when he's like "yeah you're fuckin accepting and tolerant, if the other person has all your same values".

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

MikeJF posted:

I know, it's just my general lack of trust in the new show combined with it being an easy topic to gently caress up. I should give them another chance, I suppose.

I'll probably give them another chance to do it right but I don't have much faith in Kurtzman and company. Too bad we'll never get another Civil Defense.

But gently caress paying 10 bucks a month for those 10 minutes episodes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Evek posted:

I'll probably give them another chance to do it right but I don't have much faith in Kurtzman and company. Too bad we'll never get another Civil Defense.

But gently caress paying 10 bucks a month for those 10 minutes episodes.

What, they're putting the short Treks up behind the All Access Paywall? gently caress that.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What, they're putting the short Treks up behind the All Access Paywall? gently caress that.

Yup. And so far Netflix has declined to stream them and stick to Discovery only for now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's going to literally be the only place to see them. For whatever reason, Netflix aren't getting them either.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

It's going to literally be the only place to see them.

we'll All Access them elsewhere :ninja:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you’re lucky enough to live in Canada, they’ll be airing on Space starting tonight and select Thursdays after at 9 eastern.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

we'll All Access them elsewhere :ninja:

Not all of us.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pick posted:

I love the loving Quark callout towards Sisko when he's like "yeah you're fuckin accepting and tolerant, if the other person has all your same values".
If Quark means personally, he's full of poo poo; tolerance does not mean you have to associate with someone with whom you dissent.

If you mean culturally: is the Federation shown doing anything (other than "exist," which to be fair is a profound provocation) to the Ferengi beyond, possibly, not allowing them all the business opportunities they might perceive?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There are good arguments on either side. I'm generally a proponent of paying for content if you can afford it. In this case I want them to know that Trek is popular but their service isn't. Game of Thrones is the most pirated thing ever and HBO knows it, but they still make plenty of money using their subs so they don't really care. CBS needs to make some changes and I want them to feel it but but not mistake it for disinterest in Trek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Runaway was cute. :3:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

There are good arguments on either side. I'm generally a proponent of paying for content if you can afford it. In this case I want them to know that Trek is popular but their service isn't. Game of Thrones is the most pirated thing ever and HBO knows it, but they still make plenty of money using their subs so they don't really care. CBS needs to make some changes and I want them to feel it but but not mistake it for disinterest in Trek.

You misunderstand me. I want them to know I want neither the service nor the show.

If the Picard thing is good that'll give me a better opportunity to distinguish it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nessus posted:

If Quark means personally, he's full of poo poo; tolerance does not mean you have to associate with someone with whom you dissent.

If you mean culturally: is the Federation shown doing anything (other than "exist," which to be fair is a profound provocation) to the Ferengi beyond, possibly, not allowing them all the business opportunities they might perceive?

Yeah, Quark is like one step away from saying "Oh, you don't want to deal with Orion slavers? So much for the tolerant Federation..."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Federation is the most successfully culturally imperialistic force in the Star Trek universe, and they hold prosperity over the heads of developing worlds like Bajor in exchange for adherence to Federation cultural standards (e.g. no caste system). A powerful, post-scarcity institution ragging on a smaller power for its traditional practices, which that larger institution itself once engaged in prior to having transcended its benefits, is... oh, it's something like rich Californians objecting to underprivileged rural hunters. crazy lmao.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, Quark is like one step away from saying "Oh, you don't want to deal with Orion slavers? So much for the tolerant Federation..."

Quark's big complaint, I seem to recall, is that Sisko doesn't like Ferengi because the greed of the Ferengi remind him of what humans used to be like, but that, in reality, human history was more oppressive than Ferengi history, because the Ferengi never had things like slavery and genocide.

At another point, Quark basically tells Nog, that while Nog admires humanity and the Federation, humans seem to be a civilized species because they have so much wealth and their needs are satisfied, but that, if you take that away, if humans are hungry, frightened, and deprived of creature comforts, they revert back to violence and savagery.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 5, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ferengi women are basically bought and sold in marriage contracts, quark was full of poo poo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

There is nothing you can do to prevent the people in charge from taking every wrong lesson away from what they did.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pick posted:

The Federation is the most successfully culturally imperialistic force in the Star Trek universe, and they hold prosperity over the heads of developing worlds like Bajor in exchange for adherence to Federation cultural standards (e.g. no caste system). A powerful, post-scarcity institution ragging on a smaller power for its traditional practices, which that larger institution itself once engaged in prior to having transcended its benefits, is... oh, it's something like rich Californians objecting to underprivileged rural hunters. crazy lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREQGl54BU8

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pick posted:

I feel like this extends "imperialism" to the point of being useless, because the primary thing the Federation does is "exist." They send Bajor substantial amounts of military and industrial equipment, and indeed, Bajor clearly was not exactly far from meeting whatever the Federation's standards are, because within a decade of getting out from under the spoonhead yoke, they were fixing to join the Federation. They literally only stopped because the gods interfered (wisely, as it turned out).

There is room for debate, I think, in how much the Federation ought to share. They were clearly sharing with the Bajorans, to whatever extent. But there are no doubt a lot of cultures underneath the interdict of the Prime Directive whose live members in the present day (so to speak) would benefit immensely from Fed technology even if the impacts would be great. You could also argue that perhaps the Federation should be overtly interfering with cultures such as the Ferengi in a direct and targeted way: Are there not uncounted female Ferengi suffering in servitude?

I think Quark was salty because, living in close contact with the Federation for such a long period of time, he was starting to see the cracks in his worldview, even if he adhered to it more strictly than his brother or his nephew.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pick posted:

There's definitely some parts of the Federation that are a little oppressively, but the concept of "we will only take you as an equal partners if you are all equal partners" isn't one of them.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah that's a good point. Letting a civilization into your egalitarian club that permits gross inequality essentially means your club is no longer egalitarian.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Epicurius posted:

Quark's big complaint, I seem to recall, is that Sisko doesn't like Ferengi because the greed of the Ferengi remind him of what humans used to be like, but that, in reality, human history was more oppressive than Ferengi history, because the Ferengi never had things like slavery and genocide.

At another point, Quark basically tells Nog, that while Nog admires humanity and the Federation, humans seem to be a civilized species because they have so much wealth and their needs are satisfied, but that, if you take that away, if humans are hungry, frightened, and deprived of creature comforts, they revert back to violence and savagery.

I mean... yeah, no poo poo if you take any creature and torture it its going to revert to a loving survival mentality. Not exactly some great fuckin' insight by Quark, like it always gets trotted out as.

The Ferengi were disgusting, and while DS9 humanized individual Ferengi, nothing was ever redemptive about their culture. Maybe Sisko just doesn't like the Ferengi because, I dunno, they basically treat women as slaves currently, and the unchecked and celebrated capitalism of the Ferengi has to be the most soul crushing awful thing outside of the few glimpses we get of the well off Ferengi they only ever show us.

I mean, all morality is an invention, and completely artificial so you either just party down with anything and everything without complaint in the galaxy, or you draw some line for yourself of what things you consider wrong. That includes imperialism and hypocrisy. No right or wrong answer.

Either way, Quarks 'great insights' are so much meaningless fluff, devoid of substance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Either way, Quarks 'great insights' are so much meaningless fluff, devoid of substance.
I think they're incredibly important to the characterization of Quark. Quark is the person who we imagine humans are really like, the guy who's in tune with how it "really is." And he keeps moral integrity to a certain extent - he does not abandon "being Ferengi" in the way that you could say Nog does. And yet he is influenced, and I would not say he is "changed for the better" so much as "the good within him is drawn out."

I think this is why it's important that he is, to a certain extent, a successful Ferengi, because we then have the contest between him and Rom (the unsuccessful Ferengi - who we might reasonably expect to reject a system that has done him few favors) or Nog (who is a child). To be clear, this is not to somehow justify "the Ferengi social system" or say that there's a Quark in every capitalist, but that it is possible for people to become better.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sure, I mean if theres one thing star trek has always been about, its about growing and being better people.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Already posted in the Discovery thread, but I give Short Trek: Runaway a solid meh.

We learn Tilly has a caffeine addiction and security is lax on Discovery as once again some kinda alien manages to sneak onboard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Security has always been rather lax on Starfleet ships.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gonz posted:

Security has always been rather lax on Starfleet ships.

Apparently nobody reinvented push notifications after WW3, because they never have even the most basic of automatic alerts like "Ensign Nativeamericanstereotype has vanished from deck 3" or "Ensign Russiansterotype has remained in quarters for two hours beyond the normal start of his shift".

And that's just the stuff doable with combadges and not even TNG sensors, where the computer could just run constant scans of every public area and report anybody who's not supposed to be there.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 5, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

Apparently nobody reinvented push notifications after WW3, because they never have even the most basic of automatic alerts like "Ensign Nativeamericanstereotype has vanished from deck 3" or "Ensign Russiansterotype has remained in quarters for two hours beyond the normal start of his shift".

And that's just the stuff doable with combadges and not even TNG sensors, where the computer could just run constant scans of every public area and report anybody who's not supposed to be there.
Even if we assume that the Federation errs on the side of minimizing how much the computer tracks you you would think it would at least notice when you log into your duty station, or don't as the case may be.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The ship’s sensors can break down the DNA signatures of alien species from orbit around a planet, but god help you if there’s an unauthorized alien anomoly on board the drat ship.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Federation Privacy Act of 2285 outlawed functional internal sensors.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Federation Privacy Act of 2285 outlawed functional internal sensors.

Something like this is really the only explanation. I mean, obviously the explanation is writers who can't deal with what they've created, much like with shuttle transporters etc., But in-universe, they must value privacy more than safety.

Of course, anyone can ask where anyone is or walk into each other's holodeck programs, but.. ehhhh.... well shoot

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Bloop posted:

Of course, anyone can ask where anyone is or walk into each other's holodeck programs, but.. ehhhh.... well shoot

The holodeck's more likely to seriously threaten the ship than an intruder.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

The holodeck's more likely to seriously threaten the ship than an intruder.

Holodeck, safeties off authorization Yoeman Dingus Alpha Three Niner.

Create a stack of warp cores and then give them sentience but make them extremely depressed

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How many times did they do the thing with the computer saying “The Captain is not on board the ship” (cut to ad break)

Got to be at least five times with TNG alone right?

Also drat this Disco thing not being on Netflix, now I have to actually go to some effort to watch this show for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marktheando posted:

How many times did they do the thing with the computer saying “The Captain is not on board the ship” (cut to ad break)

Got to be at least five times with TNG alone right?

Also drat this Disco thing not being on Netflix, now I have to actually go to some effort to watch this show for the first time.

DS9's version at least in the first two seasons is a crew member dramatically taking off their comm badge