Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just liked looking at a game I liked with an “Owned” label on it and saying to myself “It sure does”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Same. But the line I think is they want you to “feel” that you own your games or have a sense of ownership. But there’s also a clear and repeated “we ‘feel’ that you should do what you want with your games” thing. I dunno, they aren’t going to and probably can’t change the “you own a license” model, but I think they know what the nineties pirate demo wants (sense of ownership and guarantees against deprivation) and DRM free installers basically provides this, more or less.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

doctorfrog posted:

You know how at Disneyland, when you're standing in line for a ride, to distract from the horrible reality of waiting in a line, you're gradually immersed in the world and lore surrounding the ride? There are recorded announcements, bits and bobs from the ride-world scattered here and there, blind corners to break up the staggering length of the line, flickering lights, talking robots, little puffs of water to fake steam or add moisture to the air, stuff like that. As a line-waiting experience, it's far better than simply staring at a maze of chains for an hour while people shuffle through it.

Firewatch is like a really well-crafted wait in a line for a game. The watchtower feels like a place I wouldn't mind spending a month or so to get my head straight. The map is a great little contained experience, and it looks good, like a place where nothing needs to happen but to be explored a single time, maybe a second time with different lighting and some environmental effects. Mostly I remember looking around, appreciating things, and shuffling forward. But the story, if it's the "ride," was not my cup of tea.

This analogy is really great and I love it. I expected to love Firewatch since "walking simulators" are right up my alley and I even work for the DoI in similar locales with similar levels of supervision, but it just didn't quite do it for me. To me, the game had a lot to say about the disappointing reality of life, setting itself up to be something it ultimately wasn't, and I feel like the execution of that theme might have colored my opinion of the experience overall. Or maybe I just wasn't in the proper mood. I don't know. I still remember the plot beats, characters, names and events years later, so obviously it did something right. I still appreciate it, which isn't the same as liking it, but I think that still makes it sort of valuable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In terms of memorability, Firewatch tells its story pretty well. The beats are reflected in the landscape, and the landscape is painted in particular, considered ways. Everything that changes in the story changes in a visual or architectural way. And the game is pretty compact, and moves along at a pace you mostly control.

I still felt like the plots were sort of hand-selected for an amount of anguish they might elicit and were kinda mashed against each other. As a game, it tells its story in a skilled way, but as a story, it's just kinda unpleasant and unsatisfying. That's if you're ok with walking simulators, which I generally am.

My parents dragged me through tons of antique stores as a kid, I'm fine with wandering around appreciating things I can't "touch," as long as there's some ice cream or a burger in it for me later. The relationship between the main dude and the other Watchperson, and the way they make it seem like you can shape that a bit, was a half-a-scoop of ice cream, but it was also one of the only traditionally 'gamey' things about the game, too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

doctorfrog posted:

The relationship between the main dude and the other Watchperson, and the way they make it seem like you can shape that a bit, was a half-a-scoop of ice cream, but it was also one of the only traditionally 'gamey' things about the game, too.

The supply caches were pretty gamey too with the way they doled out exposition and world-building in such an explicit, piecemeal way. They served as "HEY LOOK AT THIS OVER HERE" neon signs while more calculated and subtle environmental storytelling would have been worlds more satisfying if Capo Santo weren't so terrified of players missing some stuff. I.e., the difference between finding some university alumni sweater hanging from the branch of a tree rather than in the 9th identical box you've opened today. Now that I think about it, the supply caches were a huge issue I had with the game. Eliminating or skillfully hiding obvious gamey elements goes a long, long way in these sorts of explore-a-place narrative games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I remember when the MP5 on the front cover of SoF 2 wasn't even in the game

I mostly played it for the mission generator. I thought that poo poo was the future, and i guess in a way, it was.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 5, 2018

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
Is Homeworld remastered worth buying, seems pretty expensive, but I really just want Homeworld 3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Melted_Igloo posted:

Is Homeworld remastered worth buying, seems pretty expensive, but I really just want Homeworld 3

Absolutely, yes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Absolutely, yes.

HW2 came out better than HW1 remastered, I think. The weirdly weak corvettes and lack of strafing runs makes fighters and corvettes all but useless.

HW2 was always bad about those, so nothing lost there. Really, try and buy a group of fighters in original HW, watch them strafe, bob and weave in combat, then compare them to the anemic slugout they're capable of in remastered.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sackmo posted:

I still keep hoping they bring back the old shelf view for your games. I never did understand how they thought the new grid/list was an improvement. So much ugly, wasted space. :(

Yeah I miss the old view too. The new shelf is garbage and the list view is also pointless. And neither lets me display all my games at once like before, nor customize how many games I want to see per page and the filtering is useless. 1A+++ would buy website redesign again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

THE BAR posted:

HW2 came out better than HW1 remastered, I think. The weirdly weak corvettes and lack of strafing runs makes fighters and corvettes all but useless.

HW2 was always bad about those, so nothing lost there. Really, try and buy a group of fighters in original HW, watch them strafe, bob and weave in combat, then compare them to the anemic slugout they're capable of in remastered.

Is that still the case post-patch? I though they did a big cleanup to deal with HW1 remastered running on 2's engine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

orcane posted:

Yeah I miss the old view too. The new shelf is garbage and the list view is also pointless. And neither lets me display all my games at once like before, nor customize how many games I want to see per page and the filtering is useless. 1A+++ would buy website redesign again.
It's extraneous, and I don't know if it's actively developed anymore, but: https://darkadia.com/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

doctorfrog posted:

It's extraneous, and I don't know if it's actively developed anymore, but: https://darkadia.com/

Alternatively: https://www.backloggery.com/

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I too miss the virtual shelf but honestly it's not that huge of a loss. When it was a thing, I've maybe looked at it once or twice to install the games and download the goodies.

Now only if GOG Connect would include more games so I don't have to double dip, that would be nice. :argh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE BAR posted:

Yeah, watching the way fighters flew in shootouts was incredible in 1999, and it made it feel like there was more to battles that just numbers. Some lucky dodges felt like they mattered and all that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Homeworld may be the only RTS game whose campaign I actually gave a poo poo about. Kharak is burning :cry:

Was so disappointed that the remaster used HW2 mechanics since HW2 wasn't as good as HW1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wafflemoose posted:

Homeworld may be the only RTS game whose campaign I actually gave a poo poo about. Kharak is burning :cry:

Was so disappointed that the remaster used HW2 mechanics since HW2 wasn't as good as HW1.

I was less dissapointed in the mechanical changes vs the story, which went all “ancient lore” and “prophecy” and all that poo poo.

But “BRING SAJUUK TO BEAR. BRING SAJUUK TO BEAR” still ruled.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, watching the way fighters flew in shootouts was incredible in 1999, and it made it feel like there was more to battles that just numbers. Some lucky dodges felt like they mattered and all that.

In the original they did matter. Anything that hit was because the bullet hit something, not because a dice roll said it did. HW2 was all the latter.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 5, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

In the original they did matter. Anything that hit was because the bullet hit something, not because a dice roll said it did. HW2 was all the latter.

Oh, yeah, I know they mattered, but that’s different than seeing a bomber weave through some point defense fire and land shots. The difference was viceral. It’s like the difference between seeing an RPG character block an attack with a shield vs just having “miss!” pop up on screen.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Is that still the case post-patch? I though they did a big cleanup to deal with HW1 remastered running on 2's engine.

They did fix some things, like adding more formations, but the unit AI is still braindead and they decided that corvettes shouldn't have any armour, making them almost as weak as fighters.

As an aside, I've been playing with GOG's Emergence release of Cataclysm. Is it just me, or does the speech audio cut out at random intervals, and sometimes things are too loud or quiet? I've especially noticed it when HQ talks during gameplay. When research tells you to "CUT US LOOSE!", the barrage of screams didn't seem to be there for me, either.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 5, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wafflemoose posted:

I really love how that level starts, because rather than just drag the camera across Kharak as a cutscene it just casually starts the mission and leaves your perspective facing the Mothership. Then it leaves you to turn the camera on your own to get a look at what's going on in the area and oh. Oh dear :ohdear:.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Soldier of Fortune is running kind of buggy for me, but it may well be original bugs leftover from those versions. I don't recall getting stuck on geometry or closing doors this much though.

Loving the pace of the game all over again, and how it handles difficulty. But the dimestore action/political story has not aged well.

I don't recall if this was something they changed for 2, but I was always confused over the fact that you never spent the money you earned. Or how the amount was calculated.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Soldier of Fortune is running kind of buggy for me, but it may well be original bugs leftover from those versions. I don't recall getting stuck on geometry or closing doors this much though.
I don't know much about how this stuff works, but I've heard of other games 'developing' such problems over the years, once they were on better hardware and playing at faster frame-rates.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know much about how this stuff works, but I've heard of other games 'developing' such problems over the years, once they were on better hardware and playing at faster frame-rates.

As far as I understand it, and not knowing anything about Soldier of Fortune specifically, these types of issues can happen due to rounding errors that become problematic at higher resolutions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lambert posted:

As far as I understand it, and not knowing anything about Soldier of Fortune specifically, these types of issues can happen due to rounding errors that become problematic at higher resolutions.

Yeah, Deus Ex has something similar happen with objects at certain settings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, Deus Ex has something similar happen with objects at certain settings.

So THAT'S why I speel my dreenk!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Any opinions on the tactical RPGs being offered in the weekend sale?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moot the hopple posted:

Torchlight 2 is good if you like the Diablo series

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I just wanted to peek my head in here to complain that eathsiege 2 still doesn't have a gog release, that hidden and dangerous 2 online play is still broken and that combat mission classic still isn't on gog either.

Anyway the gog is good, the steam is evil.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

bowmore posted:

Torchlight 2 is good if you like the Diablo series

This is the first time I see a goon saying anything positive about Torchlight 2.

(IMO, it's pretty fun, maybe a bit too generic, but never understood why people in the Steam thread are so negative about it)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kennel posted:

This is the first time I see a goon saying anything positive about Torchlight 2.

(IMO, it's pretty fun, maybe a bit too generic, but never understood why people in the Steam thread are so negative about it)
Yeah for under $5 it’s not bad at all imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

moot the hopple posted:

I can tell you not to waste your money on Armikrog. It's a massive disappointment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

moot the hopple posted:

I've always gotten distracted by something else before being able to get too far in it, but Banner Saga is very pretty and I've enjoyed my limited experience with it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Guild of Dungeoneering is extremely funny, has a good atmosphere and interesting card gamey mechanics. It has a few notable balancing issues, one's that certain classes far outperform everything else while others are trash, and the other's that the game takes a major leap in difficulty at the penultimate set of dungeons, just for it to plummet at the very end. I replay it about once a year, as it's rather short even with the DLC (clocking in at 5 hours, if I'm just burning through with the two overpowered classes), but the main draw of the game is the narrator. Much like Darkest Dungeons, you have a supremely charismatic narrator between missions and when new classes and plots are unlocked, but it's all very tongue-in-cheek rather than oppressing and sad in DDs case. Think a Kingdom of Loathing style of humour (the Cat Burglar class talks only in cat puns, you fight ice cream monks to sell their fancy ice cream to a heatwave-struck village, your main quest is to ruin the good guys' reputation...). It also has a terrific soundtrack.

I probably wouldn't buy it at full price, but https://www.gog.com/game/guild_of_dungeoneering_deluxe_ice_cream_edition is a steal for the experience.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I liked the VN/Oregon Trail aspects of Banner Saga but the combat is sadly a real slog

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So is anyone foolish enough to believe the latest Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar announcement from visionary dreamweaver Cleveland Blakemore?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1681424866258719127

quote:

Oct 22
V2 Due Next Two Weeks, Turns Display Even Better!

-Version 2 in 2 weeks, sure why not.
-Turning animations from Lands of Lore (why?)
-Price cut and or another price cut happening, who knows
-GOG platform release threatened once Grimoire V2 is out
-Even lower price on GOG promised to piss off previous buyers of Grimoire.
-Grimoire manual release stopped being mentioned/promised

e: meant to post this in the oldschool PC RPG thread, but this works too (bolded the GOG related stuff).

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 23, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In other news, the shithead who runs GOG's Twitter account is at it again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gog has really botched some PR stuff over the years. You'd have thought they would have learned their lesson after the "Gog Is shutting down!" stunt.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it sure is rad to have a full page ad hijack you if you try to go to the homepage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Casimir Radon posted:

Gog has really botched some PR stuff over the years. You'd have thought they would have learned their lesson after the "Gog Is shutting down!" stunt.

They said this was the best stunt they ever pulled and made a ton of new customers and a shitload of a cash over it. They learned alright.