Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can't ghost someone at work if you literally never loving worked there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The article also talks mostly with recruiters.

Recruiters are scum and are somehow even worse than employers.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 27, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Renegret posted:

I'm never going to ghost a job.

Bad post/AV combo, imo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sydin posted:

Bad post/AV combo, imo

Can't ghost a job if your job is ghosting

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

There was an article in a 2014 or 2015 HBR issue talking about how companies would have to start caring about HR any day now as the labor market tightened. Now it’s finally happeneing and apparently no one prepared for it?

The article also gave some context for overseas where managing worker interests in more important to a comapny’s sucess than here in the old USA. I wish I could dig it up, burned all three of my free articles trying to find the drat thing.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Renegret posted:

The article also talks mostly with recruiters.

Recruiters are scum and are somehow even worse than employers.

Recruiters act like pimps because of the power structures that enable employers to overwhelmingly benefit from exploiting the employer/employee dynamic.

Not trying to come at you, or put too fine a point on it, but yeah.

That being said, nobody should especially lose a second of sleep over anything they've said to a recruiter that might "stretch credulity" you might say.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zero Gravitas posted:

Discovered the hellish side of my new job at the new Norwegian place.

I've been stuck doing only cad which is OK but uses precisely none of my simulation skillset:science:. Deadline this week to get part drawings ready for a design review.

So to get inventory information into the bill of materials on each drawing I need to do the following:

1) look up the part in the information db which is a program from i poo poo you not 2002 and copy the id code from the record

2) use this code to look up the part bom in a monolithic access db

3) use the output from 2 to look in a second access db

4) export the material entries from access db in 3 to an excel spreadsheet

5) copy the entries from excel spreadsheet in 4 to a second excel spreadsheet that formats the data

6) copy and paste the thing from 5 to the cad drawing bom table. And if you change any thing on this the bom changes so you need to repeat the process.

Suffice it to say, there are better ways of doing this.

:eng99:

there are better ways of doing this but they're all more expensive

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2023

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

You can't ghost someone at work if you literally never loving worked there

Right? We recently had someone partially "ghost" after accepting a job and relocation. He never showed up on his first day and then finally called and said he accepted another offer. Everyone was so incensed like "WHO DOES THAT." A guy who got a better offer? If you insist on being cheap and lowballing even key hires, then that's what you're going to get. Someone's not going to turn down a way better offer out of politeness to a corporation. Sorry!

My managers also get super surprised and hurt when a remote worker will basically just be like "I'm quitting today, bye." The company treats them like they're second-class citizens, they get no benefits and there's literally no reason on their end for them to give any sort of buffer period.

I think that modern companies have developed this thing, and I don't know if it was intentional at some point, where they treat the employer-employee relationship like it's a business relationship on the company's side and a personal relationship on the employee side. I have a co-worker that's a contractor, so she's always negotiating things with them if they aren't already specifically covered in the contract. Like when they ask for extra hours, she'll make them an offer to work them at a higher rate since it's more than her contracted hours. And they always act like she's being mean or difficult when she does this and it's like hey dudes, it's a business relationship, this is how it goes. If you want her to work at a set rate or for whatever hours you dictate, hire her as an employee. You won't, so ... here we are.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Renegret posted:

Can't ghost a job if your job is ghosting

:ghost:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Lowly posted:

I think that modern companies have developed this thing, and I don't know if it was intentional at some point, where they treat the employer-employee relationship like it's a business relationship on the company's side and a personal relationship on the employee side. I have a co-worker that's a contractor, so she's always negotiating things with them if they aren't already specifically covered in the contract. Like when they ask for extra hours, she'll make them an offer to work them at a higher rate since it's more than her contracted hours. And they always act like she's being mean or difficult when she does this and it's like hey dudes, it's a business relationship, this is how it goes. If you want her to work at a set rate or for whatever hours you dictate, hire her as an employee. You won't, so ... here we are.

It absolutely is intentional, and its rooted in anti-union practice. Getting employees to personalize the employee-employer relationship gives emotional leverage that can be exploited, usually through guilt trips (e.g. "would you really want to unionize and make the business sad?") but it really provides a whole host of benefits for the employer aside from anti-unionism. For instance, workers asking for higher fair living wages.

When the employee is convinced that they only enjoy relations of employment because they treat the employer well, obviously who wins.

Naturally, this is all a lie and employment is always conditional and decisions are made coldly and calculated, regardless of how "bad" or "regretful" an employer might sound when letting someone go or denying a wage increase.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

a racoon in the dumpster behind a philosophy department that was transformed into a human by a witch posted:

Of course I have nothing against the fact that your boss treats you in a nice way and so on. The problem is if this not only covers up the actual relationship of power, but makes it even more impenetrable. You know, if you have a boss who is up there, the old fashioned boss shouting at you, exerting full brutal authority--in a way it’s much easier to rebel than to have a friendly boss who embraces you, or "how was last night with your girlfriend," blah, blah, all that buddy stuff. Well then it almost appears impolite to protest!

But I will give you an example, an old story that I often use to make it clear what I mean by this. Imagine you or me, I’m a small boy. It’s Sunday afternoon. My father wants me to visit our grandmother. Let’s say my father is a traditional authority. What would he be doing? He would probably tell me something like "I don’t care how you feel, it’s your duty to visit your grandmother. Be polite to her," and so on. Nothing bad about this, I claim, because I can still rebel and so on. It’s a clear order.

But what would the so called post-modern non-authoritarian father do? I know, because I experienced it. He would have said something like this: "You know how much your grandmother loves you, but nonetheless I’m not forcing you to visit her. You should only visit her if you freely decide to do it." Now every child knows that beneath the appearance of free choice there is a much stronger pressure in this second message. Because basically, your father is not only telling you you must visit your grandmother but you must love to visit her. You know, he tells you how you must feel about it. It’s a much stronger order.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

a racoon in the dumpster behind a philosophy department that was transformed into a human by a witch posted:

I don't recall this in any Rand work

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you need to add the sniffing and the pulling of clothes and the accent

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

well I didn't get fired, it was a fairly unremarkable meeting

now back to job hunting and doing household errands on company time oorah

i wish there was a good way to search for jobs in and above a certain income bracket without getting a bunch of inflated commission only sales positions thrown in

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zero Gravitas posted:

I've been stuck doing only cad which is OK but uses precisely none of my simulation skillset:science:. Deadline this week to get part drawings ready for a design review.

So to get inventory information into the bill of materials on each drawing I need to do the following:

1) look up the part in the information db which is a program from i poo poo you not 2002 and copy the id code from the record

5) copy the entries from excel spreadsheet in 4 to a second excel spreadsheet that formats the data

6) copy and paste the thing from 5 to the cad drawing bom table. And if you change any thing on this the bom changes so you need to repeat the process.

a) You get to work with a program made this century? You don't know how good you have it.

b) that sounds like exactly the sort of tedious make work that ought to be solved by a script. Python or even bash could probably automate most of that process without more know how than you can get by just googling around.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LLSix posted:

b) that sounds like exactly the sort of tedious make work that ought to be solved by a script. Python or even bash could probably automate most of that process without more know how than you can get by just googling around.

Python maybe but scripting Microsoft programs and reading proprietary Microsoft file formats isn't a quick sed and awk job even for a professional computer toucher.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just remember that if you can automate it, don't tell anyone about that or they'll just make you do more work/automate other things/blame you when it stops working. Just enjoy your extra time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey did the thread title change for Halloween or something?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Hey did the thread title change for Halloween or something?

looks like all the forums and threads did

it's confusing as gently caress but also hail satan

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mandrel posted:

well I didn't get fired, it was a fairly unremarkable meeting

now back to job hunting and doing household errands on company time oorah

i wish there was a good way to search for jobs in and above a certain income bracket without getting a bunch of inflated commission only sales positions thrown in

I wish I could do household chores on the clock but alas. For a minute I was studying Python on the clock but we've been real busy the last few months which has hosed that plan.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you need to add the sniffing and the pulling of clothes and the accent

Oh, no. It’s Peterson, I think.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That feeling when you’ve been starring at two slightly different spreadsheet for two hours and can’t be arsed to do anything.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

FrozenVent posted:

That feeling when you’ve been starring at two slightly different spreadsheet for two hours and can’t be arsed to do anything.

I just keep a very active stock or something on my bbg screen to make it look like I'm doing something important when I want to slack off. Oh, I'm just, uh, monitoring the markets, yeah.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I do similar thing with flight aware or marine traffic. Logistics gonna logistics.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Zero Gravitas posted:

Ehhhhh It has occurred to me that its a problem ripe for scripting, but Im not sure if I'll either get the time or if I can be arsed. I think the most likely candidate is VB scripting but that means learning VB scripting. :effort:

No one learns VBA. In fact no totally new VBA has been written since 2014. Every VB script that needs to be written already has been and is posted on the internet between 2007 and 2014. You just need to google and tweak it for your needs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, no. It’s Peterson, I think.

Peterson does not do Marxist analysis of power, lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

No one learns VBA. In fact no totally new VBA has been written since 2014. Every VB script that needs to be written already has been and is posted on the internet between 2007 and 2014. You just need to google and tweak it for your needs.

Some say all VBA ever written was produced by google’s machine learning algorithms when it tried to use the office suite.

No one has ever learned VBA.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I wrote my entire high school computing project in VBA because we had to write it in VB and that was the only way I knew to get access to something like it at home (I had to copy-paste the code from the word doc I'd written it as a script for and then manually fix all the errors when I got to school).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Let me give you some career advice:

Never admit you know VBA.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Word and other office apps also let you do an insane amount through PowerShell. After fixing formatting on a couple hundred documents in a few minutes, I decided it be unwise to tell anyone how.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

FebrezeNinja posted:

Word and other office apps also let you do an insane amount through PowerShell. After fixing formatting on a couple hundred documents in a few minutes, I decided it be unwise to tell anyone how.

Got a link that explains this? I do a crapton of Word formatting and would love to be a wizard. I have no programming experience, but I like to pick up new skills when things are slow.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Betazoid posted:

Got a link that explains this? I do a crapton of Word formatting and would love to be a wizard. I have no programming experience, but I like to pick up new skills when things are slow.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://python-docx.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ is actually the best docx fuckery lib i worked with, for ergonomics

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Powershell is hot horseshit and it sucks trying to use. I say this as a professional programmer.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Zero Gravitas posted:

You are one of the few posters I've really noticed through the last year of reading this thread. We've all had our share of bad experiences with corporate. And complaining about it is a relief. But at some point, surviving corporate life is also about adjusting and making the best of the weird dynamics. Or, the best option, finding a new job. Of course, sometimes trying will backfire or just corporate eats you alive because no reason. Yet, while most posters have fun anecdotes about work being bad for legitimate reasons, I do maybe get the feeling that most of your problems are caused by.. you.

"If you run into an rear end in a top hat in the morning, you ran into an rear end in a top hat. If you run into assholes all day, you're the rear end in a top hat." (Quote from the internets)

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Your company has an internal podcast? I thought we were the only ones. Does yours also require four salaried employees to produce, and management constantly tells people to listen because their “metrics” are bad?

On another note, at my MegaCorp my dept just changed buildings. This was supposed to have happened four months ago, but got delayed multiple times as our leadership doesn’t understand city building codes. The day we did move our computers arrived four hours after we did.

So far our new building is missing amenities we used to have, including a hot water dispensing machine, or a refrigerator to store lunches. We do have a self-serve cafeteria with one checkout terminal for hundreds of employees.

One feature our management made sure was in place was reserved parking for themselves and employees who have been here 15 years or so. This gobbled up more than half the available spots, and everyone else was advised to arrive super early or figure out our shuttle system from the main garage.

Not just that, our IT locked our browsers to go to our intranet home page whenever we open a browser or a new tab because "their metrics were bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
My company is doing pretty well financially, but they have to make some monster capital investments over the next few years and are looking to massively cut headcount as a result. It's really bloated and there's plenty of personnel fat to cut, but I have no confidence in their ability to do it correctly. We are so bad and incompetent operationally at anything beyond our core function. It's also a dysfunctional mess organizational, and a lot of capable people are already looking to leave/are leaving before that. I see things getting very difficult in the near term, and I think some of the saps left will be either the ones who didn't have any other options, or the poor souls who will be left working 80 hour weeks because McKinsey and Bain told the idiot finance people running things that was the best path forward.

I'm not in any risk at all, but god drat am I sick of all the bullshit. My pay overall is pretty good, but I'm in a specialty occupation in demand, and am at about 20% below what market rate is. I have colleagues who were external hires who make $30k more than me. And I've had some offers recently, but I've probably been too picky and should start pushing a little harder.