Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So are most people here doing the guided option or exploration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Exploration all the way baby

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Exploration and I wish I had a proper shield. It would have been right.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
With sick Greek motifs like a big rear end Medusa head on the front with it's tongue out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dicked around in this some last night, and I'm really loving it. Haven't played an AC since 2, and never got around to Origins since by the time I was going to pick it up cheap, they'd announced this and I was way more interested in loving my way across the land of my forefathers as a lady who looks like me.

Kassandra owns and while I miss some of the old AC staples (like stalking targets and poo poo, which idk maybe Origins and this have later) I really dig the take Ubi's taken on this new approach to the series.

Also that first bounty hunter's a real bitch on Hard even at the same level as him lmbo

First place I'ma sail is Lesbos and lemme tell you Sappho better be around even if it makes 0 sense timeline wise!!!!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've done exploration the whole time, but it really doesn't make you work that much harder. Instead of a waypoint you get a section of map that narrows the location down to 2 or 3 question marks. Its further undercut by the Ikaros prompt popping up as soon as you get near the area. I've never had to look hard.

Also, if you're having resource issues, make sure you're riding to your waypoint on horseback through fields and forest instead of roads. You'll find wood, iron, or an animal at least every 15 to 20 seconds, but there are areas that are much denser. I've gone on tangents where I just follow a path of resources for a few minutes straight.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Was really hoping there would have been a patch by now for HUD options not sticking and whatnot :(

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I keep forgetting I can climb poo poo, probably because I'm stuck more in a Witcher mindset than AC. I never realized that Witcher 3 was sorely missing a robust climbing mechanic until now.

esperterra posted:

Also that first bounty hunter's a real bitch on Hard even at the same level as him lmbo

I finally got sick of sneaking around him all the time like a scared baby and had a long rear end, knock down, drag out battle with him.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 6, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have it on guided but I turned it off for a minute just to see what it would do and nothing seemed to change? All the hud elements and map icons were all still around, what is it supposed to change?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This game is too confusing murderhappy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve started getting into the conquest mechanics and Athens and Sparta are both absolute rubes for trusting me. Their soldiers should be killing me on sight at this point lmao

It makes no sense that you can pull the poo poo you pull and then show your face in public like it’s no big thing but as a person who enjoys playing fun video games, I’m with it

I love this game but boy I wish I had a shield. All the NPCs have shields and they look fantastic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sedisp posted:

Eventually you will get a second ability wheel.

This is the single greatest thing the game will give you.

Oh thank god.

Also, early game spoiler, I know every greek tragedy says this was a mistake but I killed dad. I was ALMOST gonna be nice when his adopted son was all 'sometimes he looks very haunted' but then he went all 'I DID MY DUTY AS A SPARTAN' and gently caress that noise old man.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Macaluso posted:

I have it on guided but I turned it off for a minute just to see what it would do and nothing seemed to change? All the hud elements and map icons were all still around, what is it supposed to change?
In exploration mode, when you're given a quest, it'll tell you something like "it's in a fort in the east of this bay" rather than give you a marker like Origins (which I assume is what guided mode does). Once you get close enough, you get a prompt to send up Ikaros to find the exact location (or just a slight vibration in the controller if you have that HUD option turned off).

Speaking of HUD options, anybody have a good set they prefer? Or at least some sort of guide to indicate what they all mean?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

AndrewP posted:

I finally got sick of sneaking around him all the time like a scared baby and had a long rear end, knock down, drag out battle with him.

Yeah, he's constantly on my rear end now so I think that'll be the first thing I do when I get home tonight.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I keep forgetting I can climb poo poo, probably because I'm stuck more in a Witcher mindset than AC. I never realized that Witcher 3 was sorely missing a robust climbing mechanic until now.

yeah as soon as I got to level 5 I waited on the southern beach at sunset for his rear end and dueled him in the sand. after running him through I carried his body into the surf and gave him a burial at sea. it felt fitting for how much trouble that loving rear end in a top hat gave me

paying off all the bounties since that though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

In exploration mode, when you're given a quest, it'll tell you something like "it's in a fort in the east of this bay" rather than give you a marker like Origins (which I assume is what guided mode does). Once you get close enough, you get a prompt to send up Ikaros to find the exact location (or just a slight vibration in the controller if you have that HUD option turned off).

Oh. Insert the drake "no thank you" meme here

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

AndrewP posted:

Hmm our protagonist is pretty amoral huh. "Go kill this general." "Hm, okay!"

Like there's no evil pretext or anything, I'm just a hitman at this point.

You are a mercenary. Killing people for money is in fact a standard part of your job. The only difference now is that you’re going to kill an important person for money.

sexpig by night posted:

Oh thank god.

Also, early game spoiler, I know every greek tragedy says this was a mistake but I killed dad. I was ALMOST gonna be nice when his adopted son was all 'sometimes he looks very haunted' but then he went all 'I DID MY DUTY AS A SPARTAN' and gently caress that noise old man.

If you let him live it’s pretty clear that he knows full well that excuse is horse poo poo, he’s just trying to convince himself because he wouldn’t be able to live with himself otherwise.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Anyone had an issue with the assassinate button not always giving you the critical option? Sometimes the prompts switch and it’s like it won’t let me crit.

Also can you hold down the parry button or do you have to time it. Sometimes it seems like I am too early but it still works and when I’m on time it won’t.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ExCruceLeo posted:

Anyone had an issue with the assassinate button not always giving you the critical option? Sometimes the prompts switch and it’s like it won’t let me crit.

Also can you hold down the parry button or do you have to time it. Sometimes it seems like I am too early but it still works and when I’m on time it won’t.

I find that the window is pretty generous but if you see that you're too early you can drop it and then L1+R1 again to better time the parry.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I am a monster, as anytime I free a prisoner I imediatly assassinate then. Easy XP and no wanted level, with the added bonus of them thanking me before I kill them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stroth posted:

You are a mercenary. Killing people for money is in fact a standard part of your job. The only difference now is that you’re going to kill an important person for money.

If you let him live it’s pretty clear that he knows full well that excuse is horse poo poo, he’s just trying to convince himself because he wouldn’t be able to live with himself otherwise.

Well...now that's not a problem for him is it :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spears loving rule in Odyssey.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The conquest battles are the one thing I really haven't participated in much yet besides the mandatory one. I find myself not really caring who has control over the region and don't wanna spend 15 minutes carefully clearing out a fort when I can just drop into the middle of a bandit camp and make them all fall down like the Smith fight in Matrix Reloaded.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ship battles are dope, if a little wonkey cause it's like ship physics. Boarding another ship is awesome casue your crew is like gently caress YEAH. Also I got a ship down to docking health, but for some reason the boat wouldn't position itself correctly to leap over. So eventually the other ship just sunk and all the people on the ship died and I was able to freely jump into the water to the shipwreck and loot the chests.

My wanted level is now level 2 now though :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My only complaint so far is that I wish weapons were a tad more lethal. Even with the 20% more melee damage upgrade, basic attacks aren't incredibly effective.

This is genuinely minor given that you have tons of other options, whether that's bows or stealth or your ludicrous amount of abilities, but sometimes you just wanna stick to the basics, y'know?

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

The Iron Rose posted:

My only complaint so far is that I wish weapons were a tad more lethal. Even with the 20% more melee damage upgrade, basic attacks aren't incredibly effective.

This is genuinely minor given that you have tons of other options, whether that's bows or stealth or your ludicrous amount of abilities, but sometimes you just wanna stick to the basics, y'know?

Are you wearing enough armor pieces with warrior damage? If I wear my hunter or assassin gear my normal hits are just tickling my target.
It seems like shooting bows and backstabbing people does good damage even with an all Warrior DMG set but normal damage drops off a cliff without matching armor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I appreciate that they made parrying more useful in this game but I’m still feeling like dodging non-stop is the key to victory. Any attack that can be parried can also be dodged (with bullet time if your timing is right) but not all attacks that can be dodged can be parried. Dodging seems like the safest choice in any situation.

Also! I feel like they could have kept the combat mechanics 100% the same, but given you a shield, and it wouldn’t hurt what they were trying to go for re: the pace of combat at all. Just make it a cosmetic thing, where the only thing the shield really does is parry. That’s my backseat opinion

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone else get very frequent crashes? my cpu is getting a little long in the teeth but i can only play for like 3-4 minutes before boom crash.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm enjoying the game quite a lot but I really wish you could disable the level scaling. I've disliked it as a mechanic since the days of Oblivion's daedra armor bandits, and I don't care for it here either.

I get that they don't want you to be overpowered if you do all the side stuff, but in that case they should balance the EXP rewards better instead of just making all the enemies level up with you. As it is, I don't feel like leveling up is making my character any stronger when every trash wolf or bandit is still a threat, and the only difference is bigger numbers flying out of those enemies when I hit them. Oh well, maybe they'll add in the option to disable the scaling at some point, until then I'll just deal with it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Letting you loot every corpse in the area with one push of the loot button is such a great QOL improvement that I'm amazed it took them this many games to do it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Ainsley McTree posted:

I appreciate that they made parrying more useful in this game but I’m still feeling like dodging non-stop is the key to victory. Any attack that can be parried can also be dodged (with bullet time if your timing is right) but not all attacks that can be dodged can be parried. Dodging seems like the safest choice in any situation.

Also! I feel like they could have kept the combat mechanics 100% the same, but given you a shield, and it wouldn’t hurt what they were trying to go for re: the pace of combat at all. Just make it a cosmetic thing, where the only thing the shield really does is parry. That’s my backseat opinion

The only time I find parrying superior to dodging is if i'm in a fight with several shield dudes who have enough pressure on me to keep me from using the charge attack.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroth posted:

The only time I find parrying superior to dodging is if i'm in a fight with several shield dudes who have enough pressure on me to keep me from using the charge attack.

I guess it's definitely a risk-reward thing; dodging will always be safer, but a successful parry leaves the enemy vulnerable for longer (and if you're surrounded, it knocks back everyone, which is good). So it's a good system, now that I think about it.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone else get very frequent crashes? my cpu is getting a little long in the teeth but i can only play for like 3-4 minutes before boom crash.

I had that going on, yeah; i have an i7 4790k and a 980ti, which I feel should be more than adequate hardware, so maybe it's just something uniquely broken with my rig, I don't know. Either way, I was never able to solve the problem so I refunded and got it on ps4 instead

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

The one thing I wish this game didn't rip off from the witcher is the 'women yelling("singing") every time you finish a quest or level up'. Holy poo poo that gets old fast. Same with the staccato guitar playing for combat. Seriously is there no other music for RPGs?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ahahaha. I just Rush Assassinated a powerful captain, chained to a soldier, and then chained back to the captain to finish them off.

GOTY

Gold medal

Five gyros

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I didn't really intend for it, but I sort of got a quasi-Wonder Woman look going on for my Kassandra

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Rockybar posted:

The one thing I wish this game didn't rip off from the witcher is the 'women yelling("singing") every time you finish a quest or level up'. Holy poo poo that gets old fast. Same with the staccato guitar playing for combat. Seriously is there no other music for RPGs?

my favorite Witcher pull so far is one of the first sidequests you can find with the dude giving offerings to a god in a cave then surprise the cave has a hidden room and it’s actually bandits pretending to be a god and stealing the offerings, exactly like that early Witcher quest except it’s no-name bandits instead of the Witcher’s extremely mopey centaur troll monster guy. which I feel like is a really great example of the storytelling disparity here when we compare this to W3.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone have any idea why i my twitch prime loot won't show up in-game? i need that cool ship!!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone have any idea why i my twitch prime loot won't show up in-game? i need that cool ship!!

After you redeemed it, you gotta (assuming console) hit left on dpad when you are in your menu, then select store, then the right-most tab should have your items.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Skeezy posted:

So are most people here doing the guided option or exploration?
Exploration. It's not really that much different from guided and I think if I could see every icon at once on that huge map I would literally die.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love this game but boy I wish I had a shield. All the NPCs have shields and they look fantastic
That's why I took the skill that yanks their shields away. If I can't have 'em, nobody can!

Skeezy posted:

Spears loving rule in Odyssey.
YES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Also Kassandra is best.