Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ. thats pretty open and horrible, even for the loving saudies. I guess king dipshit is really desperate.

Crown prince dipshit, you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ. thats pretty open and horrible, even for the loving saudies. I guess king dipshit is really desperate.

MEE is Qatari-aligned, so like I said, corroboration is needed on those specific details. There's also some Gulenist types trying to flip this all back around into some sort of Turkish false flag, so there's all sorts of bullshit flying around. That being said, it seems pretty clear he is dead, and the Saudi government killed him. Seems like the exact opposite of desperation to me. Dude only argued for reform of the monarchy, not for revolution. He's not even that dangerous. They killed him just to show they could, and to make sure all the Saudi dissidents around the world knew it by targeting someone so prominent. This is so unbelievably brazen that the precedent that will be set here if KSA gets a slap on the wrist is horrible.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 7, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1048721293946900480

:raise:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why do you need a 15 man hit squad to take out a journalist who was in a confined space

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why do you need a 15 man hit squad to take out a journalist who was in a confined space
It's Saudi Arabian 15 man hit squad, standard procedure is to make up for lack of competence with sheer numbers.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The first 14 tripped up on their own shoelaces

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Volkerball posted:

Should be more details coming soon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LinahAlsaafin/status/1048696700485816321

I'd like to see more to corroborate it, but MEE spoke with a Turkish official that made some extraordinary claims.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1048690740375822337

https://mobile.twitter.com/martinchulov/status/1048698514958704644

lol that the degrees of authoritarianism here means even Turkey is like "jesus gently caress, these dudes were medieval"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

Saudi Arabia is a rogue state and its disgusting the US government won't put its chain back on that dog.

The US is the world's foremost rogue state.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

The first 14 tripped up on their own shoelaces
Plausible

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

You need 15 to form a perfectly circular firing squad

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That is notable that Turkey even is washing their hands of it. As far as breeches of diplomatic norms/customs/law goes that's just about as bad as it gets.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1048681240122015744

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i never understood why we choose them over Iran. like yeah both do horrible loving poo poo, but iran has a future and maybe even someday some sorta of Non-theocratic goverment. saudi arabia is just gonna become a higher tech version of mad max world when the oil runs out or is found cheaper elsewhere/etc and the princes all go game of thrones on each other.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i never understood why we choose them over Iran. like yeah both do horrible loving poo poo, but iran has a future and maybe even someday some sorta of Non-theocratic goverment. saudi arabia is just gonna become a higher tech version of mad max world when the oil runs out or is found cheaper elsewhere/etc and the princes all go game of thrones on each other.

There's just too much bad blood. There was a small window of opportunity right after 9/11, at least according to that profile of Qasem Suleimani that has been linked here a few times; they seemed to have been willing to help the US in its Afghan campaign, but then Bush put it in the Axis of Evil, and it all went to naught.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well, originally both were on our side until 1979. Then Iranians asked "could we maybe have a slightly less dickheaded government, thanks?" at precisely the same time boomer scum were electing Ronald Reagan and deciding criticizing America for anything ever meant you hated God, freedom, puppies, and apple pie and were worse than Hitler a thousand times over.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's just too much bad blood. There was a small window of opportunity right after 9/11, at least according to that profile of Qasem Suleimani that has been linked here a few times; they seemed to have been willing to help the US in its Afghan campaign, but then Bush put it in the Axis of Evil, and it all went to naught.

i feel like we sorta could have come to a slightly warmer relationship with the obama deal but thats loving dead forever. maybe we will get lucky and trump will fall in love with the iranian goverment next.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/hasanalhamada/status/1048201948263067648

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gen. Ripper posted:

Well, originally both were on our side until 1979. Then Iranians asked "could we maybe have a slightly less dickheaded government, thanks?" at precisely the same time boomer scum were electing Ronald Reagan and deciding criticizing America for anything ever meant you hated God, freedom, puppies, and apple pie and were worse than Hitler a thousand times over.

That's.... really not how that worked at all. The Islamic revolution violently overthrew the pro-American Shah (who had been put in power in the 1953 coup d'état by the US and the UK) and it took over the American embassy. The unresolved hostage situation was one of the issues which tipped the scales towards Reagan.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the cornflakes had been well pissed in before 79 sadly

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why did Israel need to send 26 people to take out Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spergin Morlock posted:

Why did Israel need to send 26 people to take out Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh?

Except he wasn't taken out in the Israeli consulate, was he?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except he wasn't taken out in the Israeli consulate, was he?

True. One of the allegations though is that they removed him from the embassy in pieces. Easier to do that with a team of people. They weren't needed for the kill but for the cleanup. Just speculating, of course.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How many diplomatic pouches does it take for a cadaver?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bip Roberts posted:

How many diplomatic pouches does it take for a cadaver?

You can slap a diplomatic seal on a shipping container.

I imagine this might have been noticed at this particular moment, though.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That is notable that Turkey even is washing their hands of it. As far as breeches of diplomatic norms/customs/law goes that's just about as bad as it gets.

I mean they killed him in the Saudi consulate, so technically they did it on Saudi soil. I imagine if a criminal wanted by the US waltzes into the US embassy in some country then they will promptly be arrested and extradited to the US.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It all boils down to geopolitics it looks like.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

qkkl posted:

I mean they killed him in the Saudi consulate, so technically they did it on Saudi soil. I imagine if a criminal wanted by the US waltzes into the US embassy in some country then they will promptly be arrested and extradited to the US.

This is not how embassies work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah all the norms and traditions and laws around diplomatic status and facilities are absolutely predisposed on the idea that you aren't carrying out hits in your consulates. It's irrelevant anyways because it's not like SA has legal extra-judicial killings anyways.

Like it is understood and expected that a significant portion of embassy/consular staff are engaging in non-diplomatic duties, but carrying out hits in situ is some wild west poo poo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's.... really not how that worked at all. The Islamic revolution violently overthrew the pro-American Shah (who had been put in power in the 1953 coup d'état by the US and the UK) and it took over the American embassy. The unresolved hostage situation was one of the issues which tipped the scales towards Reagan.

Especially since Carter dropped the Shah and got comfortable with the idea of Khomeini only for that to backfire spectacularly. It really poisoned the well for foreign policy rooted in humanitarian concerns and brought the cold war era real politik to new heights with Reagan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Saudi news is having a rough day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1048962403604553730

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Are the sauds settingup a coup in qatar

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LeoMarr posted:

Are the sauds settingup a coup in qatar

Theyve been trying
With the usual saudi rate of success.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyve been trying
With the usual saudi rate of success.

So they have spent billions on strengthening the position of the Qatari ruling family, alienated potential allies and greatly empowered radical islamists that crave for the ruination of the house of Saud?

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Zudgemud posted:

So they have spent billions on strengthening the position of the Qatari ruling family, alienated potential allies and greatly empowered radical islamists that crave for the ruination of the house of Saud?

mainly strengthened qatari relations with iran in the process

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But I think theyve given up a bit on that and the main idea being workshopped is the great Saudi-Qatari border Moat.
To keep all those qataris out. Boy they sure will miss all of our saudi exports that we have already stopped.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i absolutely love the idea of saudi arabia just fuckin digging a moat around whatever country hurt their feelings

we should all dig moats around our enemies

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But I think theyve given up a bit on that and the main idea being workshopped is the great Saudi-Qatari border Moat.
To keep all those qataris out. Boy they sure will miss all of our saudi exports that we have already stopped.

Watch this backfire and benefit qatar

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Seems like most people think the canal thing is a bluff, if for no other reason than because it would reduce Saudi Arabia's ability to threaten Qatar with a land invasion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's rumors going around now that Jamal is alive and in Saudi custody, but nobody knows. Meanwhile, Friedman somehow had the audacity to open his stupid loving mouth right now and what do you know, stupidity poured out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/1049370198711656450

Trump doesn't like it. Doesn't like hearing about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1049416779032907776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Volkerball posted:

There's rumors going around now that Jamal is alive and in Saudi custody, but nobody knows. Meanwhile, Friedman somehow had the audacity to open his stupid loving mouth right now and what do you know, stupidity poured out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/1049370198711656450

Trump doesn't like it. Doesn't like hearing about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1049416779032907776

Trump's just mad because he wishes he could have journalists killed with impunity.