Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My(16M)friends(13M,(16M)would rather play video games with my mom(45F)then me.

Sorry I was playing thread catch-up, I know this is from like 10 pages back.

My sons friends always want to play with me. Let me tell you, having your own personal army of revved up 7 year olds is one of the most hysterical things ever. The Scottish kid that nobody understands really rounds out the team.

They make great resource collectors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

almightyerin posted:

Sorry I was playing thread catch-up, I know this is from like 10 pages back.

My sons friends always want to play with me. Let me tell you, having your own personal army of revved up 7 year olds is one of the most hysterical things ever. The Scottish kid that nobody understands really rounds out the team.

They make great resource collectors too.

https://youtu.be/HN-qYFusdps

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

So my [27F] boyfriend [29M] of almost 3 years has progressively started acting more and more strange.

:psyduck:

Why doesn’t she leave?

i have a cool invention for you: lesbianism. it's just like a really good idea.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Straight White Shark posted:

My [23/M] fiancee hit me and I’m wondering how serious it is and how worried I [22/F] should be.

Dear reddit, when I put my hand on the stove it burns sometime. Should I be afraid of the stove??? P.S. I'm not going to stop touching the stove, I love it too much

About a paragraph in I was starting to think he was justified TBH.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

LadyPictureShow posted:

So my [27F] boyfriend [29M] of almost 3 years has progressively started acting more and more strange.

Why doesn’t she leave?

Sounds like he's acted exactly the same way for 3 years and you're just finally noticing the giant pile of poo poo in your bed.

:sever: and kick his rear end out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [62 F] told my mother [83F] "f*%k you" and am very confused

quote:

My question is this: I don't know what to ask. What should I be asking about this situation? I am so confused right now, I can't make sense of my feelings. I am so angry.

I have never cursed my mother. I helped move and buy my parents a home to be close to me so I can help take care of them. They don’t need much because they are fairly healthy. My mom is a micromanager and even brow beats my dad in not taking medicine his doctor prescribes. She thinks “prescriptions are a conspiracy theory and dad can cure himself by not drinking the one can of soda a day that he does.” Everything in the world can be cured with probiotics, vinegar or honey, seriously.

The straw that broke the camel's back is this: I asked her to swing by my doc (we share same one) to pick up the test results from my bone density scan. I had the results via phone but didn’t understand the nurse so I wanted to read them. The diagnosis is that I have osteoporosis...3.5 on the z score. I was upset because doctor didn’t explain much. Only his nurse called me and said take this pill - that was all of the conversation. I am fairly active and had a major fall 5 years ago and needed prosthetic implant and plates and screws - had to lay in bed for 8 days before a surgeon could be found who could do surgery. I fell in my kitchen. I think it gave me a little bit of PTSD when it comes to falling or breaking bones.

Anyway, mom asked what was in letter. I told her. She went on to say “that is a scam..I have osteoporosis but my bone density is fine.” I asked when was she diagnosed and she said 10 years ago but her bone density is fine. I said that doesn’t make sense.” She kept saying nothing was wrong with me and it is a scam. She became angry that I might think I have something wrong. When she turned her back I mouthed “f&6k you”. My dad was standing by and read my lips. I don’t care if I never see her again. If i could i could buy back their old house and move them back. Every since buying the house which is a really really good house way better than the one they had....she has been saying the sellers lied to them, the real estates agent lied to them, etc.

Tl:dr. I told my mom to ‘f%k you” because of her reactions to my medical tests. Now I don't know where to go from here. What should I do in regards to mv parents?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

LadyPictureShow posted:

Why doesn’t she leave?

I'd usually recommend that she leave in this situation, but considering she's a nurse the next one will almost definitely be much worse

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

Parents are a bourgeoisie construct designed to teach the working class a deep fear and paralyzing respect for authority. At 62 years old you have suffered long under the yoke of the capitalist parental class and now have finally broken your bonds. Life will never be the same but you must fight your instincts to retreat back into your child-like shell of blind respect and reverence. This is freedom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

if the first time you ever told your mother "gently caress you" was when you were 62, I promise you should have started at like 6

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Haifisch posted:

:killing:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
She didn't even tell her, she mouthed it behind her back.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, gently caress that lady's mom

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

empty sea posted:

I used to WoW in a literal plastic white lawnchair with a pillow thrown on the seat. It was pretty good as long as I didn't lean back too much and snap the flimsy legs. Spoiler, I once got drunk and snapped the legs. Fortunately it was an easy, cheap replacement!

Who the gently caress spends $300 on a loving computer chair. I could get like 4 lovely wal-mart computer chairs and just throw a blanket and a pillow over them for comfort until they broke 6 mo later for that much, ffs.

A proper Steelcase or Herman Miller are worth it. But here's the thing: you actually need to choose a style and SIZE (yes, there are sizes) for them to be comfortable. I waited for months to get my Aeron from a used office furniture place (they sell out quick) because I just couldn't stomach spending $700+ on one, and was able to get it for $300. But I knew exactly which style and size I wanted from using them at the office first.

All of the gamer chairs I've seen look like the same old lovely office depot-level office chairs with extra useless poo poo bolted on that aren't usually comfortable and will wear out within a year of daily use.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pathetic if you don't have a recliner dragged up in front of your computer desk, imo

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

All of the gamer chairs I've seen look like the same old lovely office depot-level office chairs with extra useless poo poo bolted on that aren't usually comfortable and will wear out within a year of daily use.

Blade Runner posted:

Pathetic if you don't have a recliner dragged up in front of your computer desk, imo

Next level is the GamePod CoolerMaster showed at PAX this year.

They're actually quite comfortable ergonomically; I bet they could sell a crapton of them to Google as 'coding pods' if they added hamster-style water bottles and treat dispensers to minimize the number of times the programmers have to get up.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
One time I got annoyed that my dad kept stopping the golf cart to pick up lost balls, so I got out and grabbed the ball he pointed out and threw it in the woods.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

One time I got annoyed that my dad kept stopping the golf cart to pick up lost balls, so I got out and grabbed the ball he pointed out and threw it in the woods.

How sharper than a serpent's tooth...

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
NO! gently caress YOU DAD!!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
just let the 80 year old husband have a soda, dang, he's 80.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:spooky:

quote:

Dear Prudie,

I have an older relative in his mid-40s, who is, for lack of a better term, a creeper. His mother was a wonderful woman with one huge blind spot: her youngest son. She babied him incessantly and supported him financially. He never moved out of her home, is socially stunted, and though friendly on the surface, can be a huge temper-tantrum-throwing man-boy. Unfortunately he also has a habit of stalking women. We’re not aware of any violence, but he will frequently fixate on a woman, usually a polite co-worker, waitress, store clerk, etc. He then drops by often and uninvited, brings little gifts, and talks constantly about this nonexistent relationship. When he is rebuffed, he will follow the woman after work until she complains to management, at which point he is fired or banned from the place of business. The family is at a loss as to what to do.

After his mother died, the very first thing he did was change all the locks on her house and vehemently tell all family members that nobody was allowed on "his" property. Unwilling to make a fuss, everybody has respected this, and not a single person has even attempted to set foot in that house in over three years. Last week he was in an accident that shattered several bones. His sister rushed to the scene and his first words to her were, "If I have to stay in the hospital, I'd better not catch anybody in my house!"

At the hospital, he asked for a phone charger and ear buds, and when his brother offered to pick them up at the house, he demanded a new set be purchased—and they were. He was told he could convalesce at home, which was made completely handicap-accessible for his mother, but he refused to have any family members or caregivers come there. So he is going to a rehab facility four hours away for several months. He has demanded his siblings purchase all new clothing and toiletries for him so they don’t go in the house.

I have two questions: 1) What do we do about his behavior? 2) What are your thoughts on poking around his house while he's in rehab? His paranoia and the news about the Cleveland captives has me a little concerned that there is evidence of violence or really unhealthy obsession there or worse.

—Scared Kin

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I feel like my roommates are another set of parents.
u/chalowee

quote:

I (F 18) have 7 suite mates (4 are F 18 3 are M 18) and one of which being my boyfriend. My boyfriend and I have separate rooms that are triples (I’m in a triple of girls he’s in a triple of boys). My boyfriend and I try our best to hide our affection from the other suite mates but because we all live together, some “pda” is inevitable. Well my boyfriend and I were watching a movie in my bed and we were cuddling as we were watching it. It was nothing sexual we were just spooning on my bed and enjoying each other’s company. One of my roommates (We’ll call her H) was in the room and she didn’t care at all as long as we were keeping it PG. My other roommate (We’ll called her N) didn’t like it at all. At like midnight she dragged all 8 of us out of our rooms into the living room so she could confront me about how uncomfortable she is and that she “can’t be in her own room” bc my bf is there and I’m being extremely inconsiderate for having him in the room. I said I don’t think it was necessary to drag everyone out of their rooms when she could of just talked to me directly, but I respected her opinion because it is obviously her room too. Then, a few days pass and my bf is sitting at my desk while I’m on my bed and H is in her side of the room. N didn’t come into the room at all that night then texted me saying that I am being rude because she made it clear that she didn’t want my boyfriend in the room. I didn’t really respond and we moved to the living room while N and H stayed in our room. Again, my bf and I weren’t doing anything sexual (just a kiss here and there and hand holding and cuddling when no one else went to bed). Then, 4 of our suite mates (We’ll call them L, D, and M and then N was there) held a meeting saying that it was inappropriate that we were showing pda in the living room when we have bedrooms (need I remind you we don’t have single rooms, we have shared triples). We were told that we were making them extremely uncomfortable. Then, just recently I was snapchatting my bf while we were in the living room with our other suite mates and one of the suite mates, D, demanded to see what we were talking about because he was sure that we were sexting. It was literally just us using the ugliest snapchat filters on each other from across the room and roasting each other.

I just feel like I have another set of parents that are over bearing and controlling of me and my bf. I get that it is their suite too but it is also ours and I feel like what we were doing should be an acceptable amount of “pda” (were in our suite and try to go away from everyone when were being especially affectionate so is it actually public?)

How do I talk to my roommates about cooling it down without sounding like a “It’s my room and I’ll do what I want” dickwad?

TL;DR My suitemates (1 is my bf) get easily offended over nonsexual forms of pda (cuddling while watching a movie and cuddling on the couch when were kicked out of my room when no one is around). It has gotten to the point where they demand to see messages between me and my bf. I feel like I am being attacked and that they are being overbearing with their demands and complaints.

Standard jealousy? Weird Christian unIversity? Other???

The comments weren’t super illuminating. Just a lot of people telling her that they should try to switch rooms and her saying there’s some kind of campus-wide housing freeze.

Love the set of balls it must take to be all I KNOW YOU ARE SEXTING SHOW ME THE PRIVATE NAKED PHOTOS.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sounds like he knows better, and is a hoarder or drunkard.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Yond Cassius posted:

Next level is the GamePod CoolerMaster showed at PAX this year.

They're actually quite comfortable ergonomically; I bet they could sell a crapton of them to Google as 'coding pods' if they added hamster-style water bottles and treat dispensers to minimize the number of times the programmers have to get up.
Only one monitor? No thank you.

(Also I think you are greatly exaggerating the amount of time people at Big Tech Companies spend on heads-down coding.)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

blugu64 posted:

Sounds like he knows better, and is a hoarder or drunkard.

he got like 8 realdolls dressed up like his favorite baristas and sandwich artists and poo poo sitting around a table fo r tea

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

There's a torso in that house. I don't know if its a woman or a RealDoll, but its just a torso.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I really hope there’s a future update for this one (Prudie suggested looking through the mom’s will to see who actually owns the house); and the update is ‘he’s just a slobby, hoarder alcoholic’ and not ‘he’s building a torture chamber in his basement’.

My brother is really, really adamant nobody ever goes in his room, or even come to the door to talk to him when it’s slightly open. The reason is because it’s an absolute loving sty.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Who does he have feeding and watering his basement slaves?

quote:

Yeah, I refuse to break up with him. He’s an amazing person overall. He adores me. He’s never/would never cheat on me.

quote:

I know my fiancee hates it because he finds it disrespectful but we’re doing long distance right now so I just want to make sure he’s behaving. I

:thunk:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Incoherence posted:

(Also I think you are greatly exaggerating the amount of time people at Big Tech Companies spend on heads-down coding.)

Oh, I work at one, so I know how the hours break down. I'm just making fun of the Googler stereotype that the company has perks for everything that isn't 'work' in an effort to keep them on campus longer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

blarzgh posted:

You sound like a little poo poo

Were you also playing on your phone the entire time

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

You sound like a little poo poo

Were you also playing on your phone the entire time

I shot an 84, thank you very much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

burial posted:

I feel like my roommates are another set of parents.
u/chalowee

Standard jealousy? Weird Christian unIversity? Other???

The comments weren’t super illuminating. Just a lot of people telling her that they should try to switch rooms and her saying there’s some kind of campus-wide housing freeze.

Love the set of balls it must take to be all I KNOW YOU ARE SEXTING SHOW ME THE PRIVATE NAKED PHOTOS.

The phone thing is weird, but being annoyed that there's a dude in your bedroom is not. That seems super inconsiderate, but they're all children, so

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Get roommates are being weird about the absolutely no PDA thing, but they should probably consider getting a different living situation where they can room together.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'd always imagine that there was loads of orgies going on in housing situations such as these.

I never knew people could be so square

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

blarzgh posted:

The phone thing is weird, but being annoyed that there's a dude in your bedroom is not. That seems super inconsiderate, but they're all children, so

quote:

My other roommate (We’ll called her N) didn’t like it at all. At like midnight she dragged all 8 of us out of our rooms into the living room so she could confront me about how uncomfortable she is and that she “can’t be in her own room” bc my bf is there and I’m being extremely inconsiderate for having him in the room.

quote:

Then, 4 of our suite mates (We’ll call them L, D, and M and then N was there) held a meeting saying that it was inappropriate that we were showing pda in the living room when we have bedrooms.

OP in comments posted:

This same roommate, N, has locked me out of the room overnight to sleep with her boyfriend and she has guys come in and out of the room all the time. So it isn’t a “no boys allowed” room. N is the only other one in a relationship and she and her bf makeout on the couch all the time.

Sorry, I thought I’d added this to the original post. Kind of changes things a bit.

Can’t make out in her room, can’t make out in the common room, original person upset about this apparently does both... Ah, to be young again.

burial fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 8, 2018

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [24F] boyfriend [25M) has angry outbursts, especially during football games. Is this behavior normal?

quote:

College football (US) is a huge part of my [24F] and my boyfriend’s [25M] life. We have been have been together for six years and went to the university together. The problem is that when we go to the games in person, my boyfriend gets so angry and agitated over the games that it really upsets me and whoever is around us. He does get really involved during TV games, but he’s absolutely the worst fan ever at the stadium.

Yesterday we sat in two of his parent’s really nice seats that they’ve had for many years. Most of the other seat holders in that area have had their seats for awhile too and have known my boyfriend since he was little. The game started out on a wrong foot because I got really excited for a play and I accidentally sloshed my drink on my boyfriend’s jacket. It was an honest mistake, but he still verbally berated me in front of his parents and everyone else around us. I apologized but he still kept on going on and on about how now he’s jacket is ruined because it’s going to stink for the rest of the day and asking me how I could be so careless. Clearly it was my fault, but he scolded me like I was a small child.

His attitude got progressively worse and worse as our team fell behind to a team that we outranked. We were just a few yards away from the players and staff and he was screaming at them and insulting them. He was even yelling at the players saying how awful they were whenever they scored. His parents would take turns talking to him, trying to get him to calm down. They had friends come over and talk to him and try to lighten the mood. He was still just so angry, saying that he hated this team and the quarterback and how he’s never going back to the games again. People were giving me concerning looks and someone even pulled me aside to make sure I was doing okay. I was trying my hardest to just focus on the game and enjoy my time there, but it was really hard with him screaming. If we weren’t in donor seats, I feel like he would’ve been ejected from the game.

After we got home last night, I calmly brought up the way he acted and told him that I felt like he was being irrational and that I felt embarrassed to be with him. He denied that he was ever acting out of line and said that I was making things up. My sister was there during the last quarter and she confirmed to me that he was being totally irrational. His mom even apologized to me for the way that he was acting - so I know I’m not making this up in my head. I told him that I wasn’t going to go to anymore games with him since his behavior stresses me out and he got extremely angry and started cussing at me - even though he kept on repeating earlier that he would never support the university ever again. I suggested that we stop talking about this until he has had some time to clear his head because he was acting irrational. He stormed out of the house and went to the bar - even though knows that drinking contributes to his anger problem. The last time he drank liquor he punched a tree in anger and his hand is still messed up because of it.

This isn’t an uncommon occurrence though. He acts like this at any game we’re losing. When we’re beating an opponent, he is usually a lot more calm. It’s just the losing games when we have these problems.

The worst incident was last year when we played our big rivalry game. There was a couple that supported the other team in front of us. They were really nice people and made friends with everyone around us, but my boyfriend wouldn’t stop heckling them even though they were being respectful towards our team. They made it clear that they were just here to have some fun and weren’t taking the game too seriously.

Well, he kept on insulting them and I kept apologizing to them, finally someone pulled me aside and asked me how I could be with someone that was so disrespectful. I felt so bad about it all that I went to the bathroom to clear my head and browse Facebook. I found out through Facebook that my grandpa passed away that morning right before the game started. I lost my cool and starting bawling. My parents were waiting to tell me in-person after the game so it wouldn’t have been ruined for me.

Finally after getting myself together a bit, I texted my boyfriend to explain the situation - that my grandpa passed away and that I wanted to finish watching the game to honor my grandpa since he was a huge fan of the rival team. I asked him if he could please be calm so that I could finish out the last quarter before I had to go home and deal with reality. He promised that he would calm down and expressed his condolences. I came back to our seats and it wasn’t five minutes before he started acting the same way he was and doing the same thing to the couple in front of us. Finally, the guy had enough and got into his face and they nearly got into a fight. I had to just grab him and walk out of the stadium to avoid a confrontation.

On the way home, I was clearly upset about my grandpa and he wouldn’t stop ranting about the loss and showed absolutely no regard for what I was going through. We never really dealt with this incident because the next few days were filled with family time and funeral planning and because it was too much to deal with at the time.

I just don’t know how to handle this. His anger problem is really only mostly a problem when he drinks liquor or goes to games. I feel like I could just avoid putting myself into situations where he acts like this, but it’s never a guarantee.

We went to couples therapy a few years ago after a series of these angry outbursts -- it seemed like it helped for about a year, but he always reverts back. He has been to individual counseling before (after his parent’s divorce and court-ordered counseling), but says that it doesn’t help him like it does other people.

This morning, he apologized for his outburst yesterday evening when I brought up how I felt and said that he would do better to accept criticism, but still insists that acting that way a sports games is acceptable. I don't know, maybe it is normal to act like this? He says that no one who is a true fan of their team would have a good time if they're losing. I go to the games mostly to see friends and I do get disappointed when our team loses, but it's more about being there than it is about the competition.

Also what I didn’t mention here is how many great redeeming qualities he has and I feel like I should say them so that he doesn’t seem entirely like the bad guy. We split all the bills and house cleaning duties 50/50 and he had never let me down in that aspect. He has a stable job and is responsible. I don’t worry for a second that he would cheat or betray me. We have a lot of fun together and I enjoy spending time with him. I really do love him and I think he’s a great guy, but there’s always just this big angry elephant in the room and I feel like I have to walk on eggshells to avoid making him mad.

TL;DR: My boyfriend of six years acts has an anger problem that really rears its head during football games. I love him and I want to stay with him, but it’s really hard. Is this something that more couples counseling could help? How should I handle these outbursts?

Ohio State, not even once.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [24F] boyfriend [25M) has angry outbursts, especially during football games. Is this behavior normal?

Fixed

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I had a dude get lovely at me at an Ohio rest stop because I had Michigan plates lmao

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

La Brea Carpet posted:

Hell yeah

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Oh honey, you’re 24. Plenty of time to move on and forget you ever indulged such a tool. Someday you won’t even remember his middle name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I’m a huge Ohio State fan and these posts triggered me. I was going to post something snide, but then I thought “maybe don’t heckle people inappropriately.”
So, yeah, my immature drunk Ohio loving dumbass still has more self control than that abusive rear end in a top hat