Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There is for sure at least one human prisoner in that house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

QuarkJets posted:

There is for sure at least one human prisoner in that house

Oh poo poo, maybe he went all Norman Bates and dug up his enabler mom!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [24F] boyfriend [25M) has angry outbursts, especially during football games. Is this behavior normal?

Ohio State, not even once.

I knew people who were like this and they’re super loving annoying but drat this guy takes it to a new level

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Yep this is some Ed Gein level stuff. Or perhaps more fittingly, Anatoly Moskvin who kept mummified young women in his home.

burial posted:

I feel like my roommates are another set of parents.
"My other roommate (We’ll called her N) didn’t like it at all. At like midnight she dragged all 8 of us out of our rooms into the living room so she could confront me"
No way would I tolerate someone trying to force a house meeting on me at midnight. That time is set aside for sleep and/or :catdrugs:

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 8, 2018

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Yep this is some Ed Gein level stuff. Or perhaps more fittingly, Anatoly Moskvin who kept mummified young women in his home.

No way would I tolerate someone trying to force a house meeting on me at midnight. That time is set aside for sleep and/or :catdrugs:

I’d probably tolerate it at that time because of all the :catdrugs:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I aplogize in advance but my idiot brain read that as “horse meeting” and yes please any roommate of mine can wake me up at crack thirty for a horse meeting

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I grew up in Northeast Ohio and went off to Ohio State in 2000. Apparently I was raised right because until then I had no idea that Michigan was considered a rival. I can’t understand how anyone could care about college level sports who wasn’t currently enrolled or had a child on said team.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lied to my parents(m53/f47) about where I(f22) live and now its biting me in my rear end

quote:

So for the past year ive been living 2 hours away from my parents, but they thought I was still living in the same town as them. Told them I was still living there because at the time I had just gotten out of a serious relationship and didnt want to tell them that I just moved to a totally diffrent city with a guy they barely know. Didnt want to worry them.

Well now Im moving to a different city and I told them that I was moving because I felt like it was the perfect opportunity to come clean...without actually telling them the truth. Well now they want to help me move and they keep asking me when im moving and they want to drive me up and poo poo. Guys help. I need advice on how to get out of this situation. And dont just tell me to be honest, my mother has me visiting r/ raisedbynarcissists a lot.

Tl;dr Lies about where I live and now im moving and trapped myself in my own lies

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ParserGirl posted:

I grew up in Northeast Ohio and went off to Ohio State in 2000. Apparently I was raised right because until then I had no idea that Michigan was considered a rival. I can’t understand how anyone could care about college level sports who wasn’t currently enrolled or had a child on said team.

What else is there to care about in Ohio, besides which meth lab blew up over the weekend?

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

blarzgh posted:

What else is there to care about in Ohio, besides which meth lab blew up over the weekend?

People at at that time had at least a free AOL cd or Kmart Bluelight dial-up. It seems a poor excuse.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ParserGirl posted:

people who are so boring that they have literally nothing else to care about

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

ParserGirl posted:

This is basically my experience ( years later), although I've been told that this means we were raised wrong - confusing, I know

Edit:

QuarkJets posted:

people who are so boring that they have literally nothing else to care about

Oh yeah gently caress people who like stuff I don't I mean christ what idiots

absolem fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 8, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ParserGirl posted:

what model's your bjd? i have an iple who still needs mod who i've owned since 09. christ.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [F22] boyfriend [M21] called me an egotistical oval office.

I had plans with my boyfriend last night to go watch a movie but the tickets were selling out fast and I didn’t know because when I looked an hour or two before the movie, there were only a few seats taken; I’ve never had to book a ticket online before. And I left a bar a little late because I haven’t caught up with my girl friends in several weeks, so I didn’t realise the time. So it took me longer to get to the bar to his place and then to the cinemas. So the plans got cancelled, he got angry because he never got to have dinner, to which I offered that I’ll buy him dinner.

I apologised about the mishap and he proceeded to tell me that “You have zero loving common sense. You go to university and you act like you’re smart but you’re not, you’re a loving egotistical oval office who belittles me all the loving time. Speak to me like a proper human being. I’m not a loving piece of paper. Stop using big words. You didn’t grow up using big words, you only started using them when you went to university.”

By big words, they’re literally just synonyms or words that I thought everyone would know what they meant. Like one time I told him some people are “incompetent” and he got angry because he said that’s a big word and he didn’t understand it. So I told him what it meant and he yelled at me, telling me that I could’ve just used a simple word. Majority of my friends are not university students, they only ever went to high school and that is how I always speak and they always understand me. I have never ever belittled him. I have worked hard to get into university because I am not smart; I work hard to get to where I am. I am struggling with university and he doesn’t even know that. And I told him that he’s really mean and he says, “Truth hurts. You have to be nasty to build people up.”

Am I overreacting?

TLDR: boyfriend called me an egoistical oval office and have no common sense because I stuffed up our plans the other night.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
mariticide

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still having trouble even getting my head around the idea of people who get angry at big words. You certainly don't have to be intelligent to use them.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fiance (35m) and I (31f) might break up over our politics.

Background: together for ten years, getting married in December, four kids between the two of us.

My fiance and I have been together for what seems like forever and I thought we knew each others minds extremely well but I have learned that I was wrong. The Kavanaugh hearing and confirmation has brought up a lot of issues we have never really discussed in depth before and we are diametrically opposed to one another. I mean zero common ground and a complete lack of understanding of how or why the other person thinks the way they do. I have tried to explain my position and why I stand so forcefully behind it and when I ask him what his reasons for his position was he deflected and made jokes. He also made it a point to look up every single statistic I used in the debate and looked into every study those statistics came from in an attempt to disprove the validity of the information. I can't deal with a person who won't argue their point but will try to tear your argument down. The conversation turned from a debate to an argument in short order. At this point I can't imagine spending the rest of my life with someone whose morals and ideology differs so very much from my own. I know this is not something either one of us is going to change our minds about and as I am looking into entering into local politics it will not be something we can just avoid in conversation. I don't know what to do at this point other than to cut my losses here. I don't feel right about marrying someone who doesn't value me as I want to valued.

TL;DR fiance and I can't get past our differing politics

"The rapist part wasn't directly about Kavanaugh, it was in relation to sentencing for convicted rapists, especially Caucasian men, getting little to no punishment for their crimes. His response was, "Why should they go to prison for years? it's not like they killed someone."

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [F22] boyfriend [M21] called me an egotistical oval office.

I had plans with my boyfriend last night to go watch a movie but the tickets were selling out fast and I didn’t know because when I looked an hour or two before the movie, there were only a few seats taken; I’ve never had to book a ticket online before. And I left a bar a little late because I haven’t caught up with my girl friends in several weeks, so I didn’t realise the time. So it took me longer to get to the bar to his place and then to the cinemas. So the plans got cancelled, he got angry because he never got to have dinner, to which I offered that I’ll buy him dinner.

I apologised about the mishap and he proceeded to tell me that “You have zero loving common sense. You go to university and you act like you’re smart but you’re not, you’re a loving egotistical oval office who belittles me all the loving time. Speak to me like a proper human being. I’m not a loving piece of paper. Stop using big words. You didn’t grow up using big words, you only started using them when you went to university.”

By big words, they’re literally just synonyms or words that I thought everyone would know what they meant. Like one time I told him some people are “incompetent” and he got angry because he said that’s a big word and he didn’t understand it. So I told him what it meant and he yelled at me, telling me that I could’ve just used a simple word. Majority of my friends are not university students, they only ever went to high school and that is how I always speak and they always understand me. I have never ever belittled him. I have worked hard to get into university because I am not smart; I work hard to get to where I am. I am struggling with university and he doesn’t even know that. And I told him that he’s really mean and he says, “Truth hurts. You have to be nasty to build people up.”

Am I overreacting?

TLDR: boyfriend called me an egoistical oval office and have no common sense because I stuffed up our plans the other night.

Translated:

She forgot to get the tickets ahead of time because she was partying with some friends of hers. She had given him her word that she would look into it for him since, lets be honest here, with a vocabulary like his, he is probably working construction labor, and he doesn't have a chance to look at it. As a consolation, she offered to pick him up some Applebees on the way from the bar errrr movies where she tried to get the tickets.

After finally relenting to the fact that she was being just slightly inconsiderate, she proceeds to tell him how wonderful it must be to break your back swinging that sledge all day while she blogs about her difficult speech therapy classes all the while maintaining one finger in front of her and talking with her eyes closed.

She then tells him that university is extremely difficult and she like so many others, is having difficulty passing her classes due to procrastination with the excuse that she's just not all that intelligent despite always belittling his vernacular.

When he finally breaks down after months of this behavior, she victimizes herself and tells him that she can't believe his behavior.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Background: together for ten years, getting married in December, four kids between the two of us.

My fiance and I have been together for what seems like forever and I thought we knew each others minds extremely well but I have learned that I was wrong. The Kavanaugh hearing and confirmation has brought up a lot of issues we have never really discussed in depth before and we are diametrically opposed to one another. I mean zero common ground and a complete lack of understanding of how or why the other person thinks the way they do. I have tried to explain my position and why I stand so forcefully behind it and when I ask him what his reasons for his position was he deflected and made jokes. He also made it a point to look up every single statistic I used in the debate and looked into every study those statistics came from in an attempt to disprove the validity of the information. I can't deal with a person who won't argue their point but will try to tear your argument down. The conversation turned from a debate to an argument in short order. At this point I can't imagine spending the rest of my life with someone whose morals and ideology differs so very much from my own. I know this is not something either one of us is going to change our minds about and as I am looking into entering into local politics it will not be something we can just avoid in conversation. I don't know what to do at this point other than to cut my losses here. I don't feel right about marrying someone who doesn't value me as I want to valued.

"The rapist part wasn't directly about Kavanaugh, it was in relation to sentencing for convicted rapists, especially Caucasian men, getting little to no punishment for their crimes. His response was, "Why should they go to prison for years? it's not like they killed someone."

LOL that she let politics, especially lovely ones involving SCOTUS appointments influence her relationship. And uh.... yeah, it is a point to look up your information and try to refute it during debate. It's called a rebuttal. It actually requires proof.

He's a dumbass for letting it get to that point. And he sounds indifferent towards sexual crimes, which implies he's either a sociopath or he's tired of the argument.

Personally, I think it's better to have differing opinions in a close relationship like that. Otherwise, she'd get bored and leave him anyways because he doesn't excite her.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Salty Josh posted:

Translated:

She forgot to get the tickets ahead of time because she was partying with some friends of hers. She had given him her word that she would look into it for him since, lets be honest here, with a vocabulary like his, he is probably working construction labor, and he doesn't have a chance to look at it. As a consolation, she offered to pick him up some Applebees on the way from the bar errrr movies where she tried to get the tickets.

After finally relenting to the fact that she was being just slightly inconsiderate, she proceeds to tell him how wonderful it must be to break your back swinging that sledge all day while she blogs about her difficult speech therapy classes all the while maintaining one finger in front of her and talking with her eyes closed.

She then tells him that university is extremely difficult and she like so many others, is having difficulty passing her classes due to procrastination with the excuse that she's just not all that intelligent despite always belittling his vernacular.

When he finally breaks down after months of this behavior, she victimizes herself and tells him that she can't believe his behavior.

I believe this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I thought this was going to take a different direction and the end of the post would reveal that the OP was pro-Kav and the fiancé was a Democrat

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still having trouble even getting my head around the idea of people who get angry at big words. You certainly don't have to be intelligent to use them.

Woah get a load of Mr. Fancy Pants over here. "Intelligent"? Who says stuff like that? Don't you mean smart??

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Salty Josh posted:

LOL that she let politics, especially lovely ones involving SCOTUS appointments influence her relationship. And uh.... yeah, it is a point to look up your information and try to refute it during debate. It's called a rebuttal. It actually requires proof.

He's a dumbass for letting it get to that point. And he sounds indifferent towards sexual crimes, which implies he's either a sociopath or he's tired of the argument.

Personally, I think it's better to have differing opinions in a close relationship like that. Otherwise, she'd get bored and leave him anyways because he doesn't excite her.

:hmmyes:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Salty Josh posted:

My wife and I are both anti-rapist and that's worked out just fine.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

big dyke energy posted:

I had a dude get lovely at me at an Ohio rest stop because I had Michigan plates lmao

I had an old guy stop his truck and come right up to me at a roadside antique booth because my rental car had Michigan plates and I was in buttfuck North Carolina. He just walked straight up to me and barked, "You from Michigan? You moving down here?"

The gently caress, man. Maybe Michigan plates just have that effect on people.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Salty Josh posted:

Translated:

Ah yes, that lying stuck-up bitch definitely was asking for whatever she got. If you think about it, he's a saint for not slapping her around a little, any other man would, she's lucky to be with him.

I recommend reading the post before launching into fantasies though

quote:

to his place and then to the cinemas

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

I hate this emote. It seems inherently sarcastic but half the time people mean it seriously. For that reason it is impossible to understand the intent behind it. You could be saying “that’s stupid” or “that’s right” or anything in between.

You probably mean it sarcastically here given that salty josh is terrible, but still.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

absolem posted:

Oh yeah gently caress people who like stuff I don't I mean christ what idiots

There's nothing wrong with liking sports, but when you harass someone because their license plate is from a state that contains the rivals of your favorite college sports team then something is wrong with your brain

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Taima posted:

You could be saying “that’s stupid” or “that’s right” or anything in between.

:hmmyes:

On the contrary, the ambiguity is what makes it awesome.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Haifisch posted:

Me [62 F] told my mother [83F] "f*%k you" and am very confused

LMAO imagine being 62 and still scared of your parents.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

Ah yes, that lying stuck-up bitch definitely was asking for whatever she got. If you think about it, he's a saint for not slapping her around a little, any other man would, she's lucky to be with him.

I recommend reading the post before launching into fantasies though

Excuse me? I thought this was the thread for making up wild fantasies that go completely against the text of the OP

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Salty Josh posted:

Actually it's better not to date a pro-rapist, if you like not being raped. This is one of those disagreements it's best to have with someone you're separated from by 10 inches of bullet-proof glass.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Salty Josh posted:

Translated:

Salty Josh posted:

Salty Josh, living up to his username.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actually it's better not to date a pro-rapist, if you like not being raped. This is one of those disagreements it's best to have with someone you're separated from by 10 inches of bullet-proof glass.

Yeah, it's fun to be with someone who's a different in some ways, but opposing views on rape and rape culture are totally valid deal breakers. How they made it 10 years without this ever coming up is kind of amazing though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ouhei posted:

Salty Josh, living up to his username.

Then wouldn't it be Misogynist Josh?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Let's be real: It's hard to have hugely differing views on US politics without also having hugely differing values that will make you incompatible in the long run anyway. There's too many hot button issues that can have real-world implications for a relationship(views on abortion, rape/rape culture, etc.) to pretend it's silly to break up over 'politics'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I dunno, Mary Matalin and James Carville are still married iirc.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
yeah i feel like if one person is like "my political beliefs are: women, queers and minorities aren't quite as human as i am" and the other person's actual life consists of existing as one of those less-human-in-that-dude's-opinion groups that's not "breaking up over politics, you silly ninny" at all

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Haifisch posted:

Let's be real: It's hard to have hugely differing views on US politics without also having hugely differing values that will make you incompatible in the long run anyway. There's too many hot button issues that can have real-world implications for a relationship(views on abortion, rape/rape culture, etc.) to pretend it's silly to break up over 'politics'.

It would depend on how the two resolve their differences but yeah it would just be easier if their beliefs were similar

But then again a relationship without a screaming match over a Supreme Court nomination is just a relationship not worth having

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rape: Bad or Meh? The debate continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah i feel like if one person is like "my political beliefs are: women, queers and minorities aren't quite as human as i am" and the other person's actual life consists of existing as one of those less-human-in-that-dude's-opinion groups that's not "breaking up over politics, you silly ninny" at all
Or if any of their close friends/family is in one of those groups. Or if they just don't want to be with someone who thinks it's acceptable to be bigoted. Or in OP's case, someone who's morally offended that convicted rapists go to prison.

Of course I'm sure the other person would still try to handwave it as 'breaking up over politics' because that way they don't have to do any self-reflection.