Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
please, try to argue in court that fault for "misrepresentation" falls on oracle, who gave you the license to read and told you that you that you especially should read it, and not on you, who lied about having accepted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

thank you peeny cheez and gazpacho for explaining why the output of the legal system is only loosely related to justice, fairness, and other nice things

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
:shrug:

i think they would be in a much stronger position if that statement were upfront about there now being licensing fees for use. maybe that wouldn’t be enough to get a lawsuit thrown out. but people in yospos have a tendency to think contract law is like an iron trap when there’s actually a lot of balancing and policy judgment, especially on this kind of boilerplate license

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gently caress oracle

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

akadajet posted:

gently caress oracle

gently caress here i am emptyquoting akadajet. what have i become.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beamed posted:

gently caress here i am emptyquoting akadajet. what have i become.

you've done it before

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the contract clearly states you must pay the iron price for this jdk

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
here comes jef fatwood of snack overflow to tell us all about how that ARM instruction that has "JS" in the name is the reason that the new iPhone is 15% better on a WebKit benchmark that does not test floating point performance, and WebKit having no evidence of using the instruction in its JIT

https://twitter.com/codinghorror/status/1049082262854094848

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i have no private knowledge of that stuff, but a benchmark not being designed to use floating-point doesn't mean it never produces an intermediate floating-point value that the engine wants to optimistically convert back to an integer

also webkit probably hasn't open-sourced its a12 changes yet; llvm/clang/swift certainly haven't

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's fair. 40% Speedometer does seem high for that though -- I wouldn't expect many float-to-int conversions in the hot path. Maybe I overestimate JavaScript developers though....

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

Maybe I overestimate JavaScript developers though....

:thunk:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's fair. 40% Speedometer does seem high for that though -- I wouldn't expect many float-to-int conversions in the hot path. Maybe I overestimate JavaScript developers though....

it's probably arm 8.3 plus the immense increase in memory performance

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Suspicious Dish posted:

"JavaScript only has the Numbers type, it doesn't do floats or ints"

-some lovely dev

(dont sign your posts, etc.)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jeff snackwood of fat overflow

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh apparently phil weighed in on that twitter thread and said we really aren’t using it in the jit yet, which is strange but whatever

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

i just submitted 17 papers for the upcoming C++ standards meeting in San Diego and i basically wrote them all in under two days this past weekend and i kinda want to not touch any markup language for a month. also i want to die now

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
as long as none of them propose to integrate a 2d library into the stdlib you should be fine

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Sagacity posted:

as long as none of them propose to integrate a 2d library into the stdlib you should be fine

uh oh

(im kidding)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

uh oh

(im kidding)

don’t hide it inside of some weird web canvas container either

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

also I’m pretty sure the deal is that the Oracle JDK is free for development but not deployment, which is fairly standard and would probably be the core of their argument for why any entity deploying it needs to pay them just shy of extortionate rates forever after using it mistakenly once

just shy of extortionate rates? i see you have no experience with oracle.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yes, individual developers can use the oracle builds to develop code without any issues, so the “random dev ignores warnings and now company owes oracle all their revenue forever” scenario simply won’t happen.

the problems only arise if you deploy the oracle jdk in production or ship it to customers. and if you’re letting a major platform update get deployed to production from random tarballs downloaded by careless devs without any kind of review process then you probably have bigger problems than the one license violation.

should oracle push openjdk harder now it’s the default? yes. could they make it clearer that their non-openjdk downloads are only licensed for dev, not prod? yes. is the java world ending as a cunning and evil trap closes around innocent developers? no.

not claiming oracle are cool and good here, just baffled that people are trying to turn this into a big deal when it really isn’t.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fiedler posted:

just shy of extortionate rates? i see you have no experience with oracle.
Truth. Years ago I worked at a Solaris/Oracle shop and my lord we practically had to keep the blinds drawn at all times to shield us from the reps floating outside, scratching on the window and croaking "let us in, we are huuuungry"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Soricidus posted:

yes, individual developers can use the oracle builds to develop code without any issues, so the “random dev ignores warnings and now company owes oracle all their revenue forever” scenario simply won’t happen.

the problems only arise if you deploy the oracle jdk in production or ship it to customers. and if you’re letting a major platform update get deployed to production from random tarballs downloaded by careless devs without any kind of review process then you probably have bigger problems than the one license violation.

should oracle push openjdk harder now it’s the default? yes. could they make it clearer that their non-openjdk downloads are only licensed for dev, not prod? yes. is the java world ending as a cunning and evil trap closes around innocent developers? no.

not claiming oracle are cool and good here, just baffled that people are trying to turn this into a big deal when it really isn’t.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Soricidus posted:

cunning and evil trap closes around innocent developers? no.

trick question

thats what oracles Java has always been!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

They didn't go back and do this retroactively for Java 8 builds right? Cause that could gently caress with a lot of people that were deploying using Oracle's JVM. I'm pretty sure this is only for versions 9/10/11 and new ones going forward.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

They didn't go back and do this retroactively for Java 8 builds right? Cause that could gently caress with a lot of people that were deploying using Oracle's JVM. I'm pretty sure this is only for versions 9/10/11 and new ones going forward.

no that would be a huge dick move, even by oracle standards

the license change is only on oracle jdk 11 and later

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Peeny Cheez posted:

Truth. Years ago I worked at a Solaris/Oracle shop and my lord we practically had to keep the blinds drawn at all times to shield us from the reps floating outside, scratching on the window and croaking "let us in, we are huuuungry"

this is a startlingly accurate portrayal of the oracle lead generation process

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

trick question

thats what oracles Java has always been!

yawn

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

zzzzz

You're so predictable

Are you sure you know what you're yawning at?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 9, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Entity Framework good/badness: one thing that makes EF "easy to use" but also quite challenging to move away from is all the magic that it does under the hood to track changes to objects so that you can get your IEnumerable<Fart>s out of your ButtsContext and go foreach(var fart in ctx.Farts) { fart.Spiciness *= 100 }, then just call ctx.Save() and Magic Happens

Few other things have that much magic, so EF encourages you to program in a way that is very EF specific and not easily married to any other persistence interface.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the whole concept of entity framework's persistence layer is dumb as poo poo. you end up having to manage both the persistence layer and the db layer and it ends up making everything take 10x as long.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I find it suprising that even shaggar dislikes EF.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

we found it, the microsoft thing that objectively everyone can agree sucks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is much like having the canonical 1kg weight, only yospos has the tools to by definition declare the truths in these matters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

sql server is great but the tools around it are not so good cuase the sql server team doesn't really care about tools and the vs team does db tools all wrong

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

sql server is great but the tools around it are not so good cuase the sql server team doesn't really care about tools and the vs team does db tools all wrong

this checks out

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prisoner of waffles posted:

Entity Framework good/badness: one thing that makes EF "easy to use" but also quite challenging to move away from is all the magic that it does under the hood to track changes to objects so that you can get your IEnumerable<Fart>s out of your ButtsContext and go foreach(var fart in ctx.Farts) { fart.Spiciness *= 100 }, then just call ctx.Save() and Magic Happens

Few other things have that much magic, so EF encourages you to program in a way that is very EF specific and not easily married to any other persistence interface.

sounds like hibernate. whenever the txn commits (and this happens automatically when using spring's @Transactional annotation) it dirty checks every single thing loaded by the session and flushes changes. so the stuff you gently caress with in your code isnt even the actual state, the actual actual state is hidden and a pile of framework code fucks with it for you then does poo poo to your db at a time definitely not of your choosing, but hopefully not corrupting anything

whoever came up with lazy proxies should be blacklisted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
orms are bad but persistence layers are a litterall extra layer of bad on top of the orm.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the only good thing spring ever did was the appcontext and everthing else spring branded is just "yeah it sucks but at least its integrated with spring". spring data is possibly the worst example but spring boot is pretty bad too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

autocompletion in ssqs stopped working for no reason other than "gently caress you"

this has been my sql story