Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

d0s posted:

I bought a slow Japanese land barge for a daily driver

holy poo poo that thing is in good shape. grats on the car dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah 80s red paint that isn't totally destroyed? Amazing

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

My favourite generation Supra (though all are great). Looks amazing man, congrats on the find!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DJ Commie posted:

I have some OE Daihatsu key blanks somewhere, I bought them from Australia when I heard Daihatsu was pulling out of that country. I'd gladly send you one if you want to make a copy. I also have some clones, which I have a whole pile of and are perfect replicas minus the logo itself.

edit: I've kept keys and locks from every Daihatsu I ever scrapped, that pattern looks familiar so maybe I have some compatible lock cylinders!

You've got the pro-est of wagons. I might take you up on the key blank offer, they always send pictures of the keys and what is in the pictures is what you get. Means I'm only getting that specific key (along with that wire and paper label) and nobody only wants one key. I can't imagine I'd have difficulty in scoring key blanks for a Daihatsu. You can still get these brand new:

This is a 1991 Suzuki Jimny we just took delivery of, with a sloppy gear shift lever. I ordered the new alignment bolt but neglected to notice that the seat ring had disintegrated (probably leading to the destruction of the bolt) so I have to wait another week or two before I can comfortably drive it down and do a typical just-received set of pictures. :negative:
This is very close to peak aesthetics for JA11 Jimnys, there is the most coveted of all though that has this same decal package but with aqua/turquoise paint in convertible form. That's one (along with a KZ-equipped 4 door manual transmission Land Cruiser Prado) of the vehicles I'm hawkishly watching for. I will get them.

While that Jimny above is peak JA11, my wife has the peak JA71 paint and decal package:

Invariably we became a Suzuki household, whoops.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
So about 2 weeks after purchasing my Acura CL, I was rear-ended on the highway. I only had liability insurance, and the car was totalled. I was pretty depressed about the total loss.

Then, I got an Email from an old college buddy. We both owned Volvo's/Saabs while in school, and we drove each others cars and worked on each others cars for many years. He said he was putting up his Volvo wagon for sale, and since he just moved close to me nearby, I should come take a look.

I'm now a proud member of the Wagon Mafia.

1987 Volvo 240DL Wagon
Fun stuff included with the wagon -

HID headlights/rear back-up camera/screen head unit
PD T cam(20+bhp) and Accel super stock coil
ngk bpr6es plugs
cars been lowered 2" all round, wheels are BBS rz469 from a bmw 750i

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love it, welcome to the fold. I need to get my 89 245+T finished.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Invariably we became a Suzuki household, whoops.

This makes me very jealous, you're in Australia right? In the US we didn't get too much love from Suzuki, I drove a '03 Aerio hatch for a while, really loved that car.

Forgot to bring my real camera but I did some hard parking today:

I'm missing the cargo cover (tonneau?). If anyone has one they want to part with, hit me up!

Seriously love this thing. Except the goddamn seats

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 6, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

d0s posted:

This makes me very jealous, you're in Australia right? In the US we didn't get too much love from Suzuki, I drove a '03 Aerio hatch for a while, really loved that car.

I'm missing the cargo cover (tonneau?). If anyone has one they want to part with, hit me up!

Nah man, I'm in Florida along with you, Sarasota. Wife and I do imports and are so freakin' close to being a legit dealership, the original reason being that I wanted all sorts of neat cars we never got. Florida only allows 3 cars to be sold by individuals per year, I want to drive more than that, etc etc we become dealers.

Your Supra is killer, also my favorite gen. It looks like one of those militarized-sports car toys from the late 80s. The white letter tires are perfect, and it's a shame the seats suck because they look phenomenal.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Nah man, I'm in Florida along with you, Sarasota. Wife and I do imports and are so freakin' close to being a legit dealership, the original reason being that I wanted all sorts of neat cars we never got. Florida only allows 3 cars to be sold by individuals per year, I want to drive more than that, etc etc we become dealers.

Your Supra is killer, also my favorite gen. It looks like one of those militarized-sports car toys from the late 80s. The white letter tires are perfect, and it's a shame the seats suck because they look phenomenal.

Whoa, that's very cool. If I made more money I would definitely try to import something cool, not sure how much I could live with RHD though. I also think my car kinda looks like a toymaker's idea of a sports car and apparently kids do too, I was in a taco shop with it parked out front and a little kid was like "look dad, a racecar!" If they only knew how "fast" it really was lmao

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

d0s posted:

Fukkkkin owns.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

d0s posted:

{and other tasty pics}

Goddrat. If only it were manual.

But also:

Charles posted:

Yeah 80s red paint that isn't totally destroyed? Amazing

My red 85 AW11 was maximum oxidized in 1998 when I bought it. This is...loving stellar.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Love that Supra, man its so nice. Look at that engine compartment!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LeeMajors posted:

But also:

My red 85 AW11 was maximum oxidized in 1998 when I bought it. This is...loving stellar.

They weren't single stage like BMWs of the time? A good buff brings them back to looking new

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Coincidentally this is what goes through my head every time I see it too :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

d0s posted:

Whoa, that's very cool. If I made more money I would definitely try to import something cool, not sure how much I could live with RHD though. I also think my car kinda looks like a toymaker's idea of a sports car and apparently kids do too, I was in a taco shop with it parked out front and a little kid was like "look dad, a racecar!" If they only knew how "fast" it really was lmao

Speed is nothing if you've got style :cool:
RHD is not a big deal, like I can't emphasize it enough on how not a thing it actually is. I thought it was this big giant deal and there would be no way that I could adjust, turns out I was wrong. Good thing too because Japan has the best stuff.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BlackMK4 posted:

They weren't single stage like BMWs of the time? A good buff brings them back to looking new

I was a strong-armed 15yo who spent a lot of time waxing and buffing and it wouldn’t hold its luster. :shrug:

But I paid 1200$ for it and drove it til it died. Loved it every second during and every second since. What a stellar car. :3:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

d0s posted:

I bought a slow Japanese land barge for a daily driver

This isn't really that big of a deal because it's what I drive to work in and my commute is a 40 minute straight line on a constantly jammed highway. I don't think I could have found a manual in this condition for any reasonable price anyway and I already have two reasonably fun cars with the right kind of transmission (the "project" MR2 on jacks in the garage and a beater Protege5).

Sup fellow P5 owner, there used to by quite a few of us around in AI before the MazdaSpeed 3 came around. Doesn't help they were ancient platforms beyond their sell-by date. Mine has 226K on it, the insanely overpriced K&N fenderwell intake, and some eBay 4-1 header. Its a fun car, pretty close to the 323 Wagon in terms of utility, but has actual torque since my VICS/VTCS still works, though on its 3rd set of solenoids in 50K miles.

KakerMix posted:

You've got the pro-est of wagons. I might take you up on the key blank offer, they always send pictures of the keys and what is in the pictures is what you get. Means I'm only getting that specific key (along with that wire and paper label) and nobody only wants one key. I can't imagine I'd have difficulty in scoring key blanks for a Daihatsu. You can still get these brand new:

TR40 is the interchange key style, they're used for old Toyotas so are everywhere. A lot of the time they have the black molded end, too. I changed the entire lockset in my Rocky since I had a Charade set with a locking gas cap and OE key. Let me know if you find any, Amayama doesn't really have Daihatsu parts and I wouldn't know where to get them other than finding their Toyota interchange number for post 92 Daihatsus, when they became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyota. I know the guy liquidating the Daihatsu USA surplus parts, he might have some blanks.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Doesn't help they were ancient platforms beyond their sell-by date.

That's part of the appeal to me, it feels like an early 90's car, but it's from 2003! I really need to get around to figuring out what's going on with the clutch on mine, and taking care of some rust that appeared from living in NYC with it for a couple of years. Driving it in snow was worth it though, total blast

e: mine has the mazdaspeed exhaust (from PO or dealer option or something) and I actually got pulled over for it in NY, apparently aftermarket exhausts are illegal there or something? I had the cop look at the word "mazda" stamped on it and told him it was factory and he let me go

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dennis McClaren posted:

So about 2 weeks after purchasing my Acura CL, I was rear-ended on the highway. I only had liability insurance, and the car was totalled. I was pretty depressed about the total loss.

Then, I got an Email from an old college buddy. We both owned Volvo's/Saabs while in school, and we drove each others cars and worked on each others cars for many years. He said he was putting up his Volvo wagon for sale, and since he just moved close to me nearby, I should come take a look.

I'm now a proud member of the Wagon Mafia.

1987 Volvo 240DL Wagon
Fun stuff included with the wagon -

HID headlights/rear back-up camera/screen head unit
PD T cam(20+bhp) and Accel super stock coil
ngk bpr6es plugs
cars been lowered 2" all round, wheels are BBS rz469 from a bmw 750i

Dang, that's nice. I prefer the boxier 740/760/960 wagons, but that 240 is no slouch.

d0s, your Supra is beyond excellent, even if it is an L-type automatic. :)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i had to get a reliable daily loving ASAP for work so i went for the most immediate and conservative thing possible:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

(green car supremacy tho)

also despite being the single most boring car i've ever had or even possibly ever driven, it is at least the cleanest and closest thing to "new" i've yet to own (~45k miles :unsmith:)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that a Corolla? I haven't paid much attention to Toyota styling in a while.

Believe it or not, some days I miss my '90 Camry. It went through everybody in my immediate family and served us all well. It was still on the road a few years ago but looks like it might finally be done, or at least nobody has bothered to smog it in CA. I should look but I swear a modern Corolla is about the same size.

Edit: also it wasn't an unreliable POS unlike the Taurus it replaced :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol my dad had a mid-90s Taurus, i know the pain

but yeah, that's a '15 Corolla. Toyota stylings are pretty bland imo except the 86/FRS/BRZ is actually great for what it is and I might actually consider getting one sometime next year since they've kind of proven themselves to be the actual best modern RWD budget drifter around and it's getting easier and easier to find a used one that's been cradled by a single owner

also the Camry has generally always been my favorite normal invisible-in-traffic car, especially when looking at used ones chances are they aren't beat to poo poo like an Accord or Altima would be at similar mileage. i test drove the new V6 that has like 300HP and tbh it's kinda neat if you're deadset on buying a brand new lowkey family sedan but it definitely feels like full size cars are becoming full sized again

Thief fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 8, 2018

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I was a strong-armed 15yo who spent a lot of time waxing and buffing and it wouldn’t hold its luster. :shrug:

But I paid 1200$ for it and drove it til it died. Loved it every second during and every second since. What a stellar car. :3:

Before:

During:

After:

This is the single stage red on the '88 325 I just sold; it cleaned up surprisingly well.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Thief posted:

i had to get a reliable daily loving ASAP for work so i went for the most immediate and conservative thing possible:

same, needed a reliable no frills drive around town car to get me to work and back so i got this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132803652796?ul_noapp=true

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I used some quickwax to get rid of some weird drip-looking discoloration (can be barely seen in this pic on the rear fender behind the tire: https://i.imgur.com/B6TNSz0.jpg) and my applicator rag came off slightly car-colored. That means it's single stage right? This doesn't happen on my '87 AW11 (e: which also has very obvious clear coat sun damage, like every other car I've owned because lol florida).

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 8, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dennis McClaren posted:

Why didn't the other guys insurance cover it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tremek posted:

People with ample power at their disposal not using it because they’re poo poo drivers, and underpowered cars being dangerous, are two valid problems that are not mutually exclusive.

The Mirage did sort-of-ok in a relatively low speed test against a sled that’s 30% lighter than the average car on the road today.

The Accent, less well...

Who mentioned body-on-frame and what are you referring to?

God help you if you’re in a early 00s F150 with overlap...

Greatest hits:
https://youtu.be/Qk0CAN4wr7A

That Versa vs Sentra was amazing, don't think Id seen that video before.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veiled boner fuel posted:

Why didn't the other guys insurance cover it?

Might live in a no fault state. I currently do and it loving blows.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Suburban Dad posted:

Might live in a no fault state. I currently do and it loving blows.

That's hosed up, I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Michigan's is the worst. No fault and highest premiums in the country by a good margin. :smith:

Who voted this poo poo in?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michigan is the only state that has that weird PD Buyback law. You’d still be able to get up to $1k though.

No-fault is an injury term, doesn’t impact physical damages.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hey, at least you've got at-will employment!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Michigan is the only state that has that weird PD Buyback law. You’d still be able to get up to $1k though.

No-fault is an injury term, doesn’t impact physical damages.

Educate me if I'm way off base here.

If I have liability only coverage here and somebody else rear ends my car and totals it, I'm able to get $1k only. In Ohio (not a no fault state) I understood that it's not like this. If I get rear ended with liability, their insurance covers the full repair because they're at fault. Sure seems like it affects damages.

I thought "no fault" meant that it didn't matter who caused the accident and was found at fault, you can't really sue either way and are only responsible for your own repairs and property damage basically. Maybe that's an oversimplification, though.

This is a bit moot since I have more coverage than the minimum but I still pay out the rear end for it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 8, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michigan is really it’s own animal. No other state prevents you from collecting from the at fault parties insurance for physical damages. You can get 100% payment in MI for certain things as well, such as if you car was parked during the accident, under another coverage called PPI (Property Protection Insurance). These are all MI specific coverages that don’t exist elsewhere bc MI likes to be complicated.

No fault states mean that PIP coverage is required and that you utilize your own PIP coverage for injuries, with some exceptions thrown in there.

Allstate has a good write up
https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/no-fault-insurance-cover.aspx

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DJ Commie posted:

Sup fellow P5 owner, there used to by quite a few of us around in AI before the MazdaSpeed 3 came around. Doesn't help they were ancient platforms beyond their sell-by date. Mine has 226K on it, the insanely overpriced K&N fenderwell intake, and some eBay 4-1 header. Its a fun car, pretty close to the 323 Wagon in terms of utility, but has actual torque since my VICS/VTCS still works, though on its 3rd set of solenoids in 50K miles.

TR40 is the interchange key style, they're used for old Toyotas so are everywhere. A lot of the time they have the black molded end, too. I changed the entire lockset in my Rocky since I had a Charade set with a locking gas cap and OE key. Let me know if you find any, Amayama doesn't really have Daihatsu parts and I wouldn't know where to get them other than finding their Toyota interchange number for post 92 Daihatsus, when they became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyota. I know the guy liquidating the Daihatsu USA surplus parts, he might have some blanks.

I'd like at least one real Daihatsu key to send along with the Rugger when I sell it to the next guy, but I also don't know how long we'll keep hold of it. We're very close to being a dealership, you see.

Speaking of:

This is almost 100% ready for sale, a few more things to do but since we have a location that isn't our house we've started to shift some work over there. That work being trim restore and metal polish things to finish this Pajero up. It's color scheme is "Nintendo".

It's at the warehouse now:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You know a dealership usually tries to sell the cars it buys, right? You’re more like a combination museum/water park.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

builds character posted:

You know a dealership usually tries to sell the cars it buys, right? You’re more like a combination museum/water park.

Florida law means I can only sell 3 cars in a year as a private citizen. Any more than that and I have to become a licensed dealer. So, wife and I are getting licensed and going through the process to make it happen. We both like lots of things and being a ~dealer~ means we can get away with shuffling any number of vehicles around. Even if we don't actually sell anything it still would be cheaper to run as a dealership since the combination of insurance, dealer plates and registration costs make a huge dent in expenses.

Besides, we've sold 7 cars in the last year without really trying. We'll see how it goes if we actually make an effort.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KakerMix posted:

Florida law means I can only sell 3 cars in a year as a private citizen. Any more than that and I have to become a licensed dealer. So, wife and I are getting licensed and going through the process to make it happen. We both like lots of things and being a ~dealer~ means we can get away with shuffling any number of vehicles around. Even if we don't actually sell anything it still would be cheaper to run as a dealership since the combination of insurance, dealer plates and registration costs make a huge dent in expenses.

Besides, we've sold 7 cars in the last year without really trying. We'll see how it goes if we actually make an effort.

But I like museums and water parks. :sigh:

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

That 3 row Pajero is outstanding, but not as outstanding as that watchdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
[Q]

Hey Stampede, how about a poem.

It's a high pitched sound
Hot rubber eternally pressing against a blackened pavement
A wheel is forever
A car is infinity times four

I'm a storm torrent across a slate-gray sea
I rush in billowed reflections a fast, fast dark sky over an Edinburgh's meadow's wet
I bolt white high through snowfall cold
I am lightning in the night
I sprint like fire across a match head
And leap across lakes of dream-stuff
Over ancient walls
Past armies fast as fast is
Faster than quicksilver can fall into the sun
I, bounding, prance unstoppable to you
My all
My everything dream

Glass, flat and forever
It stretches out and never stops
Unless it finds the hills whose lines rise to mountain peaks
Far as far can be

Thanks Stampede.

---------

I loving loved Interstate 76 and now I basically have Groove Champion's car. It'll be my DD, replacing my ol' faithful Infiniti G35x with 357,000km. Pretty solid start to the midlife crisis IMO.