Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

resurgam40 posted:

OK, OK, I'm trying to be non-committal about all this, but between this comics and at least one really special review on RT, the art nerd in me has just flared the gently caress up. Why are some people hung up on the drat nose thing? It's an artistic style! It's not like they're going for photo-realism here, as there are no real yetis to take reference from. It's not even like they're the first artists in history to downplay the nose or even leave it out; the Japanese, for example, have entire artistic styles in which the nose is not particularly pronounced, mostly on women to match the standards of beauty but sometimes on the men too (I'm talking mostly about ukiyo-e paintings, or even some of the later Shin Hanga style paintings of the early 20th). Is all that art to be dismissed too, because they got no noses, or there are mystical creatures that don't exist, or the painted scenes don't even seem to be taking place on any sort of ground (Floating World, don'tcha know)? You can see this art-style's influence in the videogame art of Yoshitaka Amano, which in turn influences the other art of Final fantasy... Are you saying you aren't going to play Final Fantasy Tactics, one of the greatest PS1 FF games and a contender for greatest overall FF game, because no noses?

Look, if most yetis had noses and one or two did not and this discrepancy went unremarked upon, that would be one thing; you might call that sloppy or arguably another statement, depending on how it is portrayed. But just complaining about no noses because no noses is like complaining about musicals having coordinated song and dance numbers because "real people don't do that." And it's like... Yeah? No poo poo? You have found an Unrealistic Element- whaddya want, a medal? It's just the conventions of the genre, and if you get fixated on that sort of thing, you're going to have a hard time with that genre.

I didn't read all that, but I'm not justifying my views or anything. I just think they're ugly and unappealing. Not even ugly-cute or anything. It's like if Disney made a Frozen sequel with only the trolls. Or Olafs. Or, God forbid, the Minions.

I don't mind ugly. I liked the Dark Crystal and (parts of) Boxtrolls. But I just
disliked those yeti immediately. To be fair, the bad trailer might have played a part in it. It was like 80% close-up reaction shots. Also why compare it to FF Tactics? There's quite a difference between a top-down pixel-ly strategy game and a multi-million animated movie.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Renoistic posted:

I didn't read all that, but I'm not justifying my views or anything. I just think they're ugly and unappealing. Not even ugly-cute or anything. It's like if Disney made a Frozen sequel with only the trolls. Or Olafs. Or, God forbid, the Minions.

I don't mind ugly. I liked the Dark Crystal and (parts of) Boxtrolls. But I just
disliked those yeti immediately. To be fair, the bad trailer might have played a part in it. It was like 80% close-up reaction shots. Also why compare it to FF Tactics? There's quite a difference between a top-down pixel-ly strategy game and a multi-million animated movie.

You should have read at least some of it. I wasn't really yelling at you or calling out your taste; I might not agree, but if you don't like something, you don't like it. You had just mentioned the lack of noses and I remembered some reviews I had read and got on my soapbox a bit.

I'm also not really comparing Smallfoot and FFT; beyond s common artistic choice, they're apples and oranges.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about home releases:

1. When did Disney start re-releasing its animated movies with the main character or characters by themselves on a monochrome background? Examples:

2. When did everybody else start copying them? Example:

Because I hadn't realised that other companies (well, Dreamworks, I suppose) did it too until literally just yesterday when I saw the Antz one in the supermarket.

Antz is 20 years old a couple of weeks ago. I remember seeing it in the cinema with my dad because I thought it was Bug's Life. A strange movie.

EDIT:

Actually, this has been done with the Simpsons dvds for about 10 seasons now so I wouldn't be surprised if they nicked the idea off them:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 8, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The adventure time boxart has been that way for about eight years now, too. It's just A Thing.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The Adventure Time boxart is at least makes up for it in stylish presentation, each layer of the box/case/dvd being another layer of character its revealing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen An American Tail in so long. Does it still hold up? Is it worth revisiting?

I do like that Drew Struzan poster.

They don't make them like that any more.

Was this Spielberg's first foray into producing feature animation?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Can we crop out those shoes and poo poo and put in a gradient thanks

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Those covers probably cost basically nothing to create, while putting the movie poster might mean paying royalties to artists or something. Most people don't care about what their DVD cover looks like, and for the people who do care, you can sell them a special edition with a neat cover.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Wheat Loaf posted:

1. When did Disney start re-releasing its animated movies with the main character or characters by themselves on a monochrome background? Examples:

2. When did everybody else start copying them? Example:

Because I hadn't realised that other companies (well, Dreamworks, I suppose) did it too until literally just yesterday when I saw the Antz one in the supermarket.

Antz is 20 years old a couple of weeks ago. I remember seeing it in the cinema with my dad because I thought it was Bug's Life. A strange movie.

EDIT:

Actually, this has been done with the Simpsons dvds for about 10 seasons now so I wouldn't be surprised if they nicked the idea off them:

It's the same reason boxes of cereal are covered in bright colors and cartoon characters, so children will recognize it and ask their parents for it. It's a lot easier to get a child who can't read to recognize a DVD cover with Mr. Incredible on it than one with "The Incredibles" in a big font.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

Those covers probably cost basically nothing to create, while putting the movie poster might mean paying royalties to artists or something. Most people don't care about what their DVD cover looks like, and for the people who do care, you can sell them a special edition with a neat cover.

i loving hate that style of box art and also don't wanna spend like $60 on a movie :(

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen An American Tail in so long. Does it still hold up? Is it worth revisiting?

As a satisfying narrative? No. But there are some really beautifully animated sequences.

NIMH is a classic. Anastasia (and Bartok) and Titan AE are uniquely watchable. The rest are varying degrees of uneven to dumpster fire depending on your nostalgia.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of our assigned novels in primary (i.e. elementary) school was Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and everyone in the class thought it was great. We watched the movie afterwards and everyone laughed uproariously when she uses the magic jewel to lift the block out of the mud at the end, because there's nothing like that at all in the novel.

Revisiting it some years later, I saw that clearly it is a good movie by itself; obviously the story's a bit different but certainly not for the worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All right, meet me in the gravel pit, we’re about to duke it out over Land Before Time, buddy

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never really got into Land Before Time. I'm not sure why because like most children, I was mad keen on dinosaurs when I was little.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm willing to go to bat for All Dogs Go to Heaven.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Let’s just give each other handjobs under a park bench for dragons lair

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

[snip]

I believe it has to do with digital releases. When all you have to convince someone to rent/buy/watch your film is a thumbnail on a phone screen, a large character in front of a bold color is gonna stand out way more than any poster or DVD cover.

It's not just animation, either. I've been ripping my DVD/Blu Ray collection into Plex so I will actually watch them, and the image that Plex pulls up is what the studio is using for the digital releases and they're all like that. I've just gone through and replaced the lovely digitial release thumbnails with the original posters with the exception of, like, the Star Wars films, as Lucasfilm has actually gone above and beyond with making consistent artwork for all the films, including making Struzan-style artwork for Rogue One which I don't think ever had a poster like that.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 8, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm willing to go to bat for All Dogs Go to Heaven.

Same but for Oliver and Company.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I never really got into Land Before Time. I'm not sure why because like most children, I was mad keen on dinosaurs when I was little.

Same here. Instead I just latched onto Disney’s Dinosaur, which I still love because nostalgia (I know it’s not considered to be that good)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

asecondduck posted:

It's not just animation, either. I've been ripping my DVD/Blu Ray collection into Plex so I will actually watch them, and the image that Plex pulls up is what the studio is using for the digital releases and they're all like that. I've just gone through and replaced the lovely digitial release thumbnails with the original posters with the exception of, like, the Star Wars films, as Lucasfilm has actually gone above and beyond with making consistent artwork for all the films, including making Struzan-style artwork for Rogue One which I don't think ever had a poster like that.

I don't think I've seen this. The dvd cover for Rogue One is very boring' very generic-looking Photoshop style poster of everyone just standing around.

I know Force Awakens had a Struzan poster (which wasn't his best work, admittedly) while its official poster was at least a Struzan-inspired-looking collage.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 8, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

Land Before Time does hold up, but watching it as an adult, it's real obvious where parts were cut from the film.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think I've seen this. The dvd cover for Rogue One is very boring' very generic-looking Photoshop style poster of everyone just standing around.

I know Force Awakens had a Struzan poster (which wasn't his best work, admittedly) while its official poster was at least a Struzan-inspired-looking collage.

In retrospect the posters in question might be fan art but if it is it's drat good:

And here it is as part of the collection.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Schwarzwald posted:

Land Before Time does hold up, but watching it as an adult, it's real obvious where parts were cut from the film.

The color and scale were too schizophrenic for me when I rewatched it a few months ago. James Horner's score does more than its fair share of the heavy lifting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I associate Land Before Time with all those sequels Bluth tended not to be involved with because they had trailers before loads of vhs movies I had when I was younger; my mum had a subscription to some sort of library thing for a while and occasionally got videos in the post and they showed up there more often than not.

Did anyone ever see stuff like The Seventh Brother, Willie the Sparrow, Scamper the Penguin or that one where Father Ted plays an Irish dancing vole?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All Dogs Go To Heaven has that gross alligator that is the epitome of the Don Bluth style so I can't in good conscience go to bat for it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Macaluso posted:

All Dogs Go To Heaven has that gross alligator that is the epitome of the Don Bluth style so I can't in good conscience go to bat for it

Ah, the trope originator.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The first thing that took me aback the first time I watched All Dogs Go to Heaven as an adult was that it's a period piece and takes place in New Orleans.

The second thing was how creepy Charlie and Anne-Marie's relationship is played.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Inkspot posted:

James Horner's score does more than its fair share of the heavy lifting.

And you’re not even going to mention the incomparable Miss Diana Ross?!?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man am I glad Lindsey Ellis does her own thing now without that guy.

Also on the topic of Antz, it was the 20th Anniversary recently. Cartoon Brew had a big write up about it since it was the second CG animated movie ever after Toy Story, and the first time a studio other than Pixar attempted a CG feature, meaning they were building a pipeline from scratch. That limited software they built for the animation in Antz lasted at the studio all the way through the first How To Train Your Dragon, where the animators couldn't even scrub through the whole scene to see their work until dailies. It was a lot like the old days of animating on paper where you couldn't get instant feedback for how your animation was going.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/antz-hits-20-re-visiting-pdis-tech-from-20-years-ago-164870.html

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As with everything ever, women are better without a man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

All right, meet me in the gravel pit, we’re about to duke it out over Land Before Time, buddy

I choose to read this as the TF2 map.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ccs posted:

Man am I glad Lindsey Ellis does her own thing now without that guy.

Would love to know more about this? I haven't kept up with them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't think there's really much more to know, she got big enough that she could go off and do her own thing. Pretty sure there wasn't any animosity, though I could be wrong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

YOU WOULD NOT LOVE TO KNOW MORE. STAY FAR AWAY.

The gist, if you absolutely need to know, is that NC and his brother are either insanely awful or completely spineless, and they knowingly continue associating with a sex pest who shelters pedophiles.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

YOU WOULD NOT LOVE TO KNOW MORE. STAY FAR AWAY.

The gist, if you absolutely need to know, is that NC and his brother are either insanely awful or completely spineless, and they knowingly continue associating with a sex pest who shelters pedophiles.

:stare: I did not know that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wow a guy with lovely facial hair and a fedora is sympathetic to pedophiles, it's 2018 and this is my shocked face

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lindsay Ellis still does video essays, however. They're very thoughtful, entertaining and well-constructed. She also does a series for PBS called It's Lit! that focuses on the histories of different styles of literature, notable authors and the impact they have for PBS. Also good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

wow a guy with lovely facial hair and a fedora is sympathetic to pedophiles, it's 2018 and this is my shocked face

Doug Walker doesn't wear a fedora, and the most prominent guy associated with the site that did (Linkara) :sever:ed from the site the same way Lindsay did and seems to not actually be a lovely person

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The thing I remember most about All Dogs Go to Heaven is that the scene where Charlie goes to hell scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

She has good animation opinions like in this thread:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1023092398484672512