Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I personally struggle to play the game on a controller, while finding the keyboard/mouse controls much easier. At least we won't have to chat in-game since we'll be in the same room.

I find the exact opposite. It's pretty much just personal preference. Especially if you're used to one control scheme or the other from other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So if I want to start learning how to heal, which of AST or WHM are better to start with?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

berenzen posted:

So if I want to start learning how to heal, which of AST or WHM are better to start with?

I'd assume WHM but I'm not a healer. AST you're expected to manage buffs and the like and requires a bit of juggling multiple balls in the air from an outsider-looking-in perspective. WHM is closer to classic healer flavor and seems a better start.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
WHM is baby's first healer, with huge brute-force heals and a really strong heal-over-time in Regen. There's not a lot of subtlety to the job, so I'd recommend it. AST is fantastic, but as a fellow new healer it feels like there's a lot to juggle and I frequently find myself not even touching my cards because I'm so swept up in the healing.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Leofish posted:

I got a pissy holier-than-thou tank in o10n today. We wiped a couple of times to exaflares and he and another healer were begging for a kick so they didn't have to wait to requeue. The other tank pulled the third time and those two just stood there until wipe #3 and the abandon went through. First time I've encountered a prima donna like that. Managed to beat the fight on the next go around. The non-dickish healer from the first group was in my second group so I gave him the com.

I’ve had this happen maybe 3 times and each time I just report them through the GM ticketing system. It’s against the ToS and GMs take it very seriously. As long as you are civil and attempt to make the most of it without fighting the assholes, they’ll get smacked with a warning or suspension.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I play both.

I prefer WHM because it has higher personal DPS and it's much more straightforward, but AST cards are a ton of fun. Both are super good choices. I'd say WHM is the easier class because there's no subtly involved. All of your buttons make big numbers happen.

Also it's stupid that gravity is sub 50 and it makes syncing down as AST bullshit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rainuwastaken posted:

WHM is baby's first healer, with huge brute-force heals and a really strong heal-over-time in Regen. There's not a lot of subtlety to the job, so I'd recommend it. AST is fantastic, but as a fellow new healer it feels like there's a lot to juggle and I frequently find myself not even touching my cards because I'm so swept up in the healing.

What helped with cards for me was putting a skill bar really big near the middle of my screen, then I put draw on there so it's always in my face.

Eventually I started doing this for cooldowns for all classes because I have a problem tracking cooldowns in general.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
AST does have the perk of getting an instant heal before 50 and an instant heal that you can actually use more than once an encounter before 60, but WHM is probably the better beginner choice. Cast Cure and later Regen until you know when you can comfortably cast Stones and Aeros (e: in the earlier dungeons that's usually) and you'll be just fine.

Renegret posted:

What helped with cards for me was putting a skill bar really big near the middle of my screen, then I put draw on there so it's always in my face.

Eventually I started doing this for cooldowns for all classes because I have a problem tracking cooldowns in general.

Same, but I put a huge bar with nothing but Draw right next to the party list so I'd never forget about it while watching everyone's HP. :v: Essential Dignity is probably also a good choice for a huge reminder.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 8, 2018

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Renegret posted:

I do the same thing. It helps a lot with tracking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Re: Maelstrom dominance: The Admiral does not tolerate failure or mutiny. We cap the nodes so that our skulls remain uncapped, thankyouverymuch.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Good thing about AST cards is that they're on a 30 second cycle, so it's not like you have to be juggling cards and healing *constantly*. Having said that yeah, it can feel a bit overwhelming at times, but when that happens just focus on the healing until you get a bit of lull in the fight.

I've been fiddling with healers on and off, got WHM and SCH to ~35 and AST to 55, but I'm starting to think healing is just not my cup of tea. A couple particularly bad Aurum Vale, Darkhold and Sohm Al runs recently left a very bad taste in my mouth, in the case of Sohm Al it was because...

Leofish posted:

I got a pissy holier-than-thou tank in o10n today.

I got a tank that as soon as we started just ran up and pulled everything up to the first roadblock without popping a single cooldown, died almost immediately (she went from "oh she's taking damage" to dead before I finished casting a single Benefic), then just outright quit before my rez hit her corpse.

On the one hand I know that's not (exclusively) my fault, but drat if it didn't sting. :<

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Countblanc posted:

The elder seedseer is working her butt off to the point where her and Nanamo are known as folk heroes.

It's really just the admiral who is slacking.

Merlwyb did try to take the initiative in the current msq, she was just immediately overshadowed by a plot twist out of nowhere.

By and large her hands are probably tied more than the other leaders though, since Lolorito keeps things running behind the scenes in Ul'dah and the elementals don't give a poo poo what happens outside the forest but the pirates will all mutiny in a second if the admiral takes her eyes off them.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I just ran Tam-Tara this weekend with a guy who wanted to make it clear that this was one of his first times tanking and he was still getting the hang of it. Halfway through he asked how he was doing and I said nobody had died yet so I thought he was doing okay. He laughed and said if nobody had died, that was more because we had a good healer than a good tank.

So I guess just try to be a good healer, and when you have a good tank, then nobody will die.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Level both WHM and AST. Holy crushes dungeons in a way that Gravity will never match.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

A couple particularly bad Aurum Vale, Darkhold and Sohm Al runs recently left a very bad taste in my mouth, in the case of Sohm Al it was because...
I tossed my Scholar into leveling roulette the other night and ended up getting Sohm Al. The tank pulled the two gaelicats at the very beginning of the dungeon and immediately stopped moving, which I thought was odd.....until she very nearly exploded before I could even get a bane off. Turns out she was wearing full i90 because her husband told her she could just wear whatever she found. I was surprised that she hadn't gotten better stuff from the MSQ, but then I looked at her levels and she had four level 70's. No other tanks, but c'mon man.

She looted a pair of boots from the first boss and her health jumped up by several hundred points.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I finally got around to decorating my Medium Plot I scooped up like 2 months ago. The new Verdant Partitions might've driven me mad inspired me a lot.

https://imgur.com/a/hvyL3fS

Ward 15 Plot 57 in the Lavender Beds on Excalibur if you want to see it first hand :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jose Valasquez posted:

Should have just abandoned tbh

I mean, I guess it was technically one of the Akh Morns or something afterwards since we didn't have enough people but we had new players and one more push would have probably been enough. I had only done the fight once before and made a couple of newbie mistakes. I had to take a week off for outside reasons so I'm a little behind compared to everyone else.

Fortunately, I got my second crank, pedal, and lens this week so I never have to bother with Alphascape again (minus o12 for crystalloids) unless I decide to gear up an off-class. I don't like the Alphascape gear very much.

Note Block posted:

I’ve had this happen maybe 3 times and each time I just report them through the GM ticketing system. It’s against the ToS and GMs take it very seriously. As long as you are civil and attempt to make the most of it without fighting the assholes, they’ll get smacked with a warning or suspension.

I don't think I've ever ticketed anyone for anything before. Oh well. It's very rare that I encounter jerks so I try to just roll with it. Left a sour taste behind, though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My first run at O10N was a bit of a slog because the other DPS didn't understand the Not-Akh-Morn attack and kept dying to it.

By the way, Alphascape is great. I'm glad I went into it mostly blind. 4.0 was tough until I realized the main gimmick: after re-forming, Omega-M does a point-blank AoE and Omega-F does a knockback At that point it's just a matter of paying attention to all the overlapping mechanics.

Overall, I'm very happy with Omega. Maybe someday I can experience the Savage fights! :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bolow posted:

I finally got around to decorating my Medium Plot I scooped up like 2 months ago. The new Verdant Partitions might've driven me mad inspired me a lot.

https://imgur.com/a/hvyL3fS

Ward 18 Plot 60 in the Mists on Excalibur if you want to see it first hand :v:

I liked what you did with the place.

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 8, 2018

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

Level both WHM and AST. Holy crushes dungeons in a way that Gravity will never match.

on the other hand I can gravity from the safety of way over there

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gravity looks and sounds cooler.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

My first run at O10N was a bit of a slog because the other DPS didn't understand the Not-Akh-Morn attack and kept dying to it.

By the way, Alphascape is great. I'm glad I went into it mostly blind. 4.0 was tough until I realized the main gimmick: after re-forming, Omega-M does a point-blank AoE and Omega-F does a knockback At that point it's just a matter of paying attention to all the overlapping mechanics.

Overall, I'm very happy with Omega. Maybe someday I can experience the Savage fights! :v:

Alphascape has the best music and story of the three, imho, but I think the gear is kind of boring. eScape is a heck of a thing.

O5 is still my favourite fight of the 12. It's just a fun setpiece.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Gravity looks and sounds cooler.

Gravity unlocking at 52 is the loving pits though.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

O3 is the coolest fight this expansion

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I hate that inner release is level 70, i have to manage and pool all this rage now to burn during berserk windows and then I hit 70 and... dont have to worry any more. just hit the button and drop the pain.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

UHD posted:

on the other hand I can gravity from the safety of way over there

I say this as someone who virulently hates WHMs because of how easy it loving is to heal as a WHM, but so rarely see any WHMs push the bounds of what they're capable of: Who the gently caress needs safety when Holy stuns?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leofish posted:

eScape is a heck of a thing.

The chicken tenders
Are ready to fry
(Unintelligible noises)
Away with the tide!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

Alphascape has the best music and story of the three, imho, but I think the gear is kind of boring. eScape is a heck of a thing.

O5 is still my favourite fight of the 12. It's just a fun setpiece.

The Omega caster gear is like you're the lost member of KISS, it's amazing. I don't know what they were thinking when they made the healer set though.

And yes eScape is rad as hell and every time the bonus chest doesn't appear I die a little

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The chicken tenders
Are ready to fry
(Unintelligible noises)
Away with the tide!

I don't know what I thought it said before now, but I doubt I'll be able to go back.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Despite O11S being almost literally Arm of the Father: Revengeance, it is a way more fun fight than O10S. I'm sure eScape factors into that but I'm still impressed that they borrowed a bunch of Pepsiman's gimmicks and made a not awful fight out of them.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The chicken tenders
Are ready to fry
(Unintelligible noises)
Away with the tide!

Ancient eggrolls
Are ready to fry
A tasty salad
To have on the side!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In Ala Mhigo and the tank decided to do a triple pull right off the bat, which didn't work because I slapped a regen on him after the second pull and he didn't acquire aggro from the dudes in the third pull before they killed me. Later, he did a massive pull with the slasher-type enemies expecting the SMN to LB, which did not come. Fortunately, chaining Cure II is good enough to keep a well-geared tank alive even if they don't rampart. It's funny, but I do kinda miss the days where people would ask at the start of dungeons if big pulls were fine. I feel like tanks are always the least likely to say anything in a dungeon now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I big pull all the time with no warning, keeps the healers on their toes.

For real though, I find that 95% of the time they either want you to pull big or don't seem to care, so I just default to BIG PULL (most of the time, anyway. If I don't remember how mob packs are spread in a dungeon or I'm not confident I'll grab one at a time).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just started doing Mentor Roulettes.

I find it weird how I usually get guildhests, then Cape Westwind, then an Ala Mhigo party that's at Zenos, etc.

And then I come in once to see Titan EX. :catstare:

How did you even queue for that!?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was running TDRs to just boost up my DRK a little, and I got Westwind twice in two days.

I stopped getting MSQ Ifrit and Titan, too. :(

KoB
May 1, 2009

Phone posted:

I was running TDRs to just boost up my DRK a little, and I got Westwind twice in two days.

I stopped getting MSQ Ifrit and Titan, too. :(

I thought Ifrit and Titan were in the LDR?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In the last 3 days of mentor roulette, I got Shiva Ex twice and then Mog Ex. A whole lot of newbies don't know that hard queueing for old primals in DF is a bad idea unless you actively tell them about PF.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah I made that mistake as a newbie myself a few times. Didn't really grasp the concept of PF and people being able and willing to unsync old content until FC goons taught me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Countblanc posted:

The elder seedseer is working her butt off to the point where her and Nanamo are known as folk heroes.

Have you noticed a horde of pirates riding Leviathan sweeping through the other city-states? Alright then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Find another moon to drop and drop it on the loving Shroud