Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

man I want to use all these other lancers and scouts but then that means I'm not using my boy Keigel or my girl Rosetta

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best part about keigel is that hes a legitimate old man and not an anime old man

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Keigel and Ryan best bros.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Near the end of the game you get a legit anti-armor sniper rifle and it, by itself, let me A-rank a mission where I went the slow way that was festooned with turrets and tanks. That three-shot rifle is great the rest of the time, but nobody makes turrets vanish like Kai with that monster.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the guant (or whatever) is actually a royal rifle, which drops based on criteria on certain missions which includes just getting a high rank, killing all the leaders, tanks, etc etc which will give you more and more drops for it.

i didn't think it was to useful outside of one turning the second to less level, tanks are usually facing you

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Finished the main story tonight. I can't connect with Claude at all, I don't like how much of a raw deal Minerva gets, and Raz is just the fuckin' worst. I like everyone else I used, though.

I'm kinda bummed that they completely rolled back all the changes they made in VC2, too. Like, yeah, the stuff you had to do to earn promotions was poo poo, but that's a reason to refine that system, not cut it entirely. It was a good first step toward giving your characters a bit more identity in combat, which I think is one of the things VC needs to really elevate it to being truly excellent. The current implementation of Potentials doesn't interest me at all, because they're all random procs that you can't plan around, and even then they're generally not high enough impact that you need to care about them.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It’s kinda crazy that the game never mentions or shows the whole Darcsen genocide thing and knowing that it’s going on kinda colors the ending. Claude you shouldnt make peace with these people, they’re doing the loving holocaust. Instead of setting off the nuke take a trip to the capital building and start taking hostages.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

It’s kinda crazy that the game never mentions or shows the whole Darcsen genocide thing and knowing that it’s going on kinda colors the ending. Claude you shouldnt make peace with these people, they’re doing the loving holocaust. Instead of setting off the nuke take a trip to the capital building and start taking hostages.

I thought the other games made the point that the Empire was treating Jews like how Europe treated Jews in the middle ages, completely appalling but not at a genocide level.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I thought the other games made the point that the Empire was treating Jews like how Europe treated Jews in the middle ages, completely appalling but not at a genocide level.

The first game had a mission in a concentration camp.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Honestly it's a pretty good thing they pretty much dropped the holocaust subplot, it was the cringiest thing about the first game.

EDIT: Like the closest VC4 got in terms of Tone Problems™ was the happy fun time occupation force

BioMe fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BioMe posted:

Honestly it's a pretty good thing they pretty much dropped the holocaust subplot, it was the cringiest thing about the first game.

EDIT: Like the closest VC4 got in terms of Tone Problems™ was the happy fun time occupation force

fond memories of "liberate concentration camp" being followed immediately by BEACH PARTY EPISODE!!!!

admittedly the beach party episode featuring the old people saying "man, remember when we were that young? god, remember jerry pulling all those dumb pranks"

"oh right jerry died in the war"
"alongside basically everyone our age we knew"
"welp i'm sad now"

was a nice touch

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 8, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In terms of the ending plot points for the game, it is kind of important to remember just where this game was made.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

VC5 plot prediction: Bizarro Japan will be the good guys

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I appreciate that there have been a few points where the 3-shot sniper rifle is not always and forever the best choice.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

In terms of the ending plot points for the game, it is kind of important to remember just where this game was made.

Yeah they don't like nukes and don't believe minorities exist, I knew that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah they don't like nukes and don't believe minorities exist, I knew that.

And if minorities exist, it's the hair that gives them away.

(Seriously, ask the Japanese about the Ainu and how they can tell them apart from 'normal' Japanese people.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've only unlocked a couple of the squad stories but they're so good :allears:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

In post game content is there supposed to be something after the aurora borealis scene? I think the popup said something about chapter 18 before I accidentally skipped past it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

BioMe posted:

In post game content is there supposed to be something after the aurora borealis scene? I think the popup said something about chapter 18 before I accidentally skipped past it.

You buy the silly scene, it unlocks the date scene, then you unlock the final mission's hard mode. Also the next page of skirmishes are probably unlocked, which you have to flip through and isn't entirely clear. Doing hard mode and getting the ~real~ ending dumps you into post-game proper.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Do you somehow have to take both camps on Turn 1 to A rank Withdrawal from Lindbergh? Took the second camp on the third turn (took it second turn on the first run, and got rolled by SUPERTANK, so took an extra turn to get support in place) and thought I was moving fairly efficiently. Or do you have to kill Walz fast and stop the reinforcements spawning or something (I have no clue if killing him actually does that), ending the four turn holdout prematurely? Managed to kill him eventually that second run, so I probably could have done that quicker if it actually matters.

Mainly asking since I got a C rank for 6 turns (took the second camp on Turn 3, then did the "hold out for 4 turns" for turns 3, 4, 5, 6). If you do need the turn 1 cap, then I think this is the first mission that seems literally impossible to A rank initially, because I have no idea how you're supposed to effectively clear enough enemies out and get the support in place to stymie SUPERTANK with the weapons you have at that point with just Turn 1 AP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You have to kill the supertank and all his reinforcements, obviously. If you wait for 4 turns you won't get an A rank even if you capture both bases on turn 1 (which you should do anyway, honestly).

The mission isn't even close to impossible, but you're probably just thinking about it wrong. I couldn't say exactly how since I don't know how you're playing. Every single mission can be cleared with an A rank on the first try, no exceptions.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It was played under the assumption I actually did have to hold for 4 turns (since there's nothing to indicate otherwise), rather than being able to stop the reinforcements early. So it was basically heavily stalling/damaging Walz (via Riley) while eliminating all the various support, and then killing him when I had some extra AP. If killing him does turn off the reinforcements, then yeah, I can see it being winnable in 4 turns.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Lord Koth posted:

...Do you somehow have to take both camps on Turn 1 to A rank Withdrawal from Lindbergh? Took the second camp on the third turn (took it second turn on the first run, and got rolled by SUPERTANK, so took an extra turn to get support in place) and thought I was moving fairly efficiently. Or do you have to kill Walz fast and stop the reinforcements spawning or something (I have no clue if killing him actually does that), ending the four turn holdout prematurely? Managed to kill him eventually that second run, so I probably could have done that quicker if it actually matters.

Mainly asking since I got a C rank for 6 turns (took the second camp on Turn 3, then did the "hold out for 4 turns" for turns 3, 4, 5, 6). If you do need the turn 1 cap, then I think this is the first mission that seems literally impossible to A rank initially, because I have no idea how you're supposed to effectively clear enough enemies out and get the support in place to stymie SUPERTANK with the weapons you have at that point with just Turn 1 AP.

Like every VC map there's very little real strategy involved, it's about learning to outbullshit the enemy's bullshit. Clean out all the enemies on the map but don't capture the final base. Instead line up a firing squad of lancers and your tank facing towards where the enemy spawns. Also have Riley in the area just to mortar their freshly spawned grenadier. Bank up action points for one giant round and then just kill the boss with big group shots from the tank+lancers. Once the boss is dead, the mission will complete when you clean the map of all the other enemies.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Killing the tank stops the reinforcements yes so just stack grenadiers with an anti-armor mortar and deep-six him fast.

You can use elevation or angles a bit to shoot him with the Hafen or a lancer, but it’s a bit finicky.

Also that was the mission I learned apcs get owned by his dumb Gatling.

I think that one and the hard railway skirmish are the only ones I didn’t A on the first try, mostly it comes down to abusing defense orders/APC/etc for most maps. Embrace the cheese (although turn limits are more generous than in VC1 so you could probably do things pretty “standard” for a lot of missions)

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 9, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can kill that tank in one turn when you are prepared but i don't see how anyone could be prepared their first time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Like every VC map there's very little real strategy involved, it's about learning to outbullshit the enemy's bullshit.

Just like to bring this post back up

Leal posted:

Shoulda known that was gonna happen, FUCKER!

E: And unlike the mission being talked about, this one doesn't replenish your CP!

Leal fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 9, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BioMe posted:

VC5 plot prediction: Bizarro Japan will be the good guys

And will be named 'Edoprovince'

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Was I supposed to find a blue rose in this Chapter 13 mission? I didn't see one anywhere so I just charged up the main street shelling everything in my way. :gifttank:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

Was I supposed to find a blue rose in this Chapter 13 mission? I didn't see one anywhere so I just charged up the main street shelling everything in my way. :gifttank:

I found one and it did not provide a valid alternative route.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Really Pants posted:

I found one that I thought was telling me the building in question had supplies inside so I drove my tank into the flimsy wall to open the building. It actually had an enemy tank inside that attacked me the next turn.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

By the way, it is possible for grenadiers to get radiator killshots on tanks. That mission was the first time I managed it.

also they've made it pretty obvious what the Centurion's restricted area is really for :smith:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, looks like a piece of DLC dropped today. It's called..."Squad E, To The Beach!"

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Anime Normandy huh

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

General Morden posted:

Anime Normandy huh

Y...yeah! That's it! Anime Normandy!
:japan::(

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Well that was a stunningly stupid ending.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe i'll buy the dlc when it is all out and available in a heavily discounted bundle

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

In one of the horizontal alleys east of the starting position, there's a blue rose door that will let you teleport infantry to a point where you can snipe that loving AP-draining grenadier and hit the eastern fixed defense emplacements from behind. You can use Direct Movement on a scout to get there on the first badge of the first turn with a sniper and grenadier of your own and just clean house.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

This DLC was worth every god drat penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol @ Minerva's bikini being locked behind an insane hell gauntlet