Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It was just biologics that were extended from 8 years to 10. So not great, but it's not all drugs and it isn't a massive jump.

Biologics are the future of pharmaceutical treatments. It will be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some high level war memorial vandalism here.

https://haligonia.ca/police-investigate-war-memorial-vandalism-249647/

"FUK THE WARS"

anarchists are garbage

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vandals accidentally spraypaint memorial's own message on it

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

flakeloaf posted:

Vandals accidentally spraypaint memorial's own message on it

I mean in theory sure, but in practice most war memorials have been co-opted into a pretty pro-war "support are troops" kinda deal. Most people spend Armstice day jerking off about how great soldiers are with absolutely no thought given towards how lovely war is, which should be the whole point.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

5g is coming to save rural internet, in a couple years :sigh:

Sweet, it better come with higher towers though cause I've got no cell at home

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It depresses me to know there are people actually excited for this:

https://twitter.com/lp_lapresse/status/1049672618641522690?s=21

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

https://thewalrus.ca/meet-the-facebook-group-trying-to-reshape-politics/

From last week re: Ontario Proud

Spreading lies and fostering racism is just good fun, not real politics. It's democracy you guys.

Yeah, I read that a few days ago. I'm disappointed the journalist never had the courage to say to that racist chucklefuck "You're a racist chucklefuck, stop evading and denying it, you racist chucklefuck." That would have been a much better article, instead of the "Wow! Social media! Likes!" that we got.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Of course he's from Sarnia. Of course he is.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
gently caress the wars

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

gently caress the wars

It's fuk the wars

Your adherence to spelling rules marks you as a fake anarchist

fuk athoritee
fuk the wrs

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
'fk teh wrs!" *burns down PTSD treatment center* "I r gud leftist"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love the wokeness where you think a war memorial which entire purpose is "holy gently caress my dad/uncle/brother etc died overseas and war is terrible lets never do it again" is somehow pro-war and needs to be spray painted.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Ah yes because a inanimate war monument and a working PTSD treatment centre are exactly the same thing

“I r very smrt”

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 9, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah, spray the people trying to subvert these anti-war memorials into blind trupe worship, not the statue itself.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
“Won’t somebody think of the poor broken windows :gonk:“ - this thread

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, I read that a few days ago. I'm disappointed the journalist never had the courage to say to that racist chucklefuck "You're a racist chucklefuck, stop evading and denying it, you racist chucklefuck." That would have been a much better article, instead of the "Wow! Social media! Likes!" that we got.

It's Jen Gerson, of "oh come on, how bad could Doug ford actually be" fame

She sucks real bad

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 9, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Are you....equating vandalizing a statue, with burning down a medical treatment centre?

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you....equating vandalizing a statue, with burning down a medical treatment centre?

The strawmen that some posters need to build up to tear down sound pretty extreme

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There really needs to be some form of real world "Come and See" experience to drill it into people's skulls that war is loving Terrifying and destructive. Maybe spend remembrance day firing off fifteen cannons every second for five hours straight until the gunfire becomes a background thrum. But you'd still get some daft fucker having the time of his life.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

It depresses me to know there are people actually excited for this:

https://twitter.com/lp_lapresse/status/1049672618641522690?s=21

This made me nauseous.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Seeing Vimy ridge, still pockmarked from artillery, covered in so many names was extremely sobering. Same with visiting Dieppe, Dunkirk, and Juno beach.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

War Amps had a four-minute video I saw twice and still remember today, so maybe use that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozgJiJ5tCe4

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcsquad12 posted:

There really needs to be some form of real world "Come and See" experience to drill it into people's skulls that war is loving Terrifying and destructive. Maybe spend remembrance day firing off fifteen cannons every second for five hours straight until the gunfire becomes a background thrum. But you'd still get some daft fucker having the time of his life.

You'd still have this problem even if you showed people actual war with real dead people and poo poo. Because some people are really, really hosed up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe someday we'll discover the one good use for virtual reality is to strap people into a chair, put an oculus rift on their face, and then give them the first-person experience of being in a helicopter as it gets shot down.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

You'd still have this problem even if you showed people actual war with real dead people and poo poo. Because some people are really, really hosed up.

Yep, some people are. Most people would probably come away from it with a larger understanding of how much it sucks to let things get so bad politically that the situation ends up being solved by sending people to go kill each other.

The most sobering video I ever saw of war was a silent film of a WW1 no mans land charge. It wasn't full of explosions and chaos and stuff it was just a group of people running in mud and then a guy falls down. Because he's dead. No being thrown in the air, no dramatic pause or arms flayed out, just he's running and then all of a sudden he just flops like he's been turned off. Because he got shot and now he's dead and that's that.

gently caress that bullshit.

EDIT: this isn't the footage I'm thinking of, but it's close enough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPVx4tYBvK4&t=201s

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 9, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fact that we're 100 years out from the great war and we're still dealing with that war's fallout should be enough but pparently it isn't. People think that because those wars are in the past the problems are all resolved.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Sweet, it better come with higher towers though cause I've got no cell at home

You're gonna need a mast over the treeline, unless you're in a valley in which case you are screwed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot of the problems our society faces now is the fallout of things that happened well before even our grandparents were born and I think we're honestly further away from solving those problems than we were 25 years ago.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I visited Passchendaele and the Tyne Cot cemetery, walked the old trenches, it was extremely emotional and tough. gently caress war in every possible way and gently caress anyone who glorifies or supports it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You need only look at how "wrong" a place like the Somme valley or Verdun looks with the world's attempt to heal. Sure they're covered in green grass and young trees, but the earth should not look like it has had ice cream scoops carved out of it. We shouldn't have to maintain a red zone across France and Germany's border where we dig up unexploded ordnance every year. The clusterfuck in the middle east might not be a direct symptom of Sykes-Picot but it certainly amplified the chaos.
Closer to home stuff like the conscription crisis is heavily responsible for the cultural divide between English and French Canada. You could talk all day about what benefits come from war but very few of those positives could come exclusively from conflict. They don't outweigh the human cost.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

I'm sure this a sincere thought and not just you bleating out the appropriate sounding words, guy who less than two years ago was advocating the indiscriminate glassing of entire towns in the middle east.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Maybe someday we'll discover the one good use for virtual reality is to strap people into a chair, put an oculus rift on their face, and then give them the first-person experience of being in a helicopter as it gets shot down.

This is a close second, worth the ~25 hours. And it exists.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

Risky Bisquick posted:

You're gonna need a mast over the treeline, unless you're in a valley in which case you are screwed.

I got trees and a valley, luckily nobody really wants to text me that bad and when the kids are old enough to complain, I will tell them the reason they can't is because oppressive city people are always trying to hold us rurals down.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Helsing posted:

I'm sure this a sincere thought and not just you bleating out the appropriate sounding words, guy who less than two years ago was advocating the indiscriminate glassing of entire towns in the middle east.

A decade ago I would have been a prime recruit for MRA groups and anti Muslim alt-right stuff. I was someone who staunchly believed in the idea that there is an organized conspiracy to replace the Caucasian race with arabs and people of middle eastern descent. Iive also once touched a woman inappropriately which I have deeply regretted and worked to make amends for both with her and by challenging other men who feel entitled to that sort of behavior.

People grow up. People change. I was fortunate enough to have been educated by both men and women who saw I was on the wrong path and influenced by the wrong people. And I’m grateful they didn’t just turn me away and demonize me and instead see I was capable of reform.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Vimy is a very sobering place. Trying to explain just what it is to children is especially difficult.

Verdun is on an entirely different scale though, holy gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

Huh, it couldn't possibly be that this is a sincere thought, and I've grown and changed as a person since I said those stupid and disgusting things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The creepy thing about Verdun is how small it is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: this isn't the footage I'm thinking of, but it's close enough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPVx4tYBvK4&t=201s

That little bit is brutal. I thought the guy in the trench just stayed there until it dawned he was shot in the head and dead immediately. Seeing people crumble like that is very sobering. I remember watching a video of a guy stopping a mugging but he got shot. And he stands back on the steps and he clutches his chest, then just slumps over.

E:

quote:

I have some good news for you, this was propaganda footage shot to re create life on the front, if u look closely the trench is no where near tall enough plus there are nob sand bags etc. I hope this helps. I know this because I saw a documentary on war footage and they came to the conclusion that this footage was staged

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 9, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Yall should watch ‘The Vietnam War’. Really shows the horror of war and has lots of interviews with fighters from both sides

actually watch all of Ken Burns documentaries

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

A Typical Goon posted:

Yall should watch �The Vietnam War�. Really shows the horror of war and has lots of interviews with fighters from both sides

I work with a Vietnam vet he was a green beret. I can sense he’s been through some real poo poo.

Is it true that Vietnam vets were the worst treated of all war veterans in recent history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A Typical Goon posted:

Yall should watch �The Vietnam War�. Really shows the horror of war and has lots of interviews with fighters from both sides

The thing that stood out for me the most about the people interviewed was the contrast in attitudes. There is a rage in a lot of those American vets that 40 years hasn't diminished a day. Karl Marlantes especially.