Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Suspicious Lump posted:

Did linlin rape a shark man to make Katakuri? I thought the giants and fishmen hated the Charlotte family?

Him, Daifuku, and Oven are all triplets, so it's more likely just some weird body quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Giants appear to have at least one feature about them being exaggerated besides their overall size and I recall at least three giants having sharp teeth and fangs (Oars, Oars Jr., and some rando giant at ace's execution). There's also I think whats his name in Blackbeard's crew, he's got just the sharp teeth.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Julias posted:

Him, Daifuku, and Oven are all triplets, so it's more likely just some weird body quirk.
ahhh good point, so what are they then, just giant men?

Freakazoid_ posted:

Giants appear to have at least one feature about them being exaggerated besides their overall size and I recall at least three giants having sharp teeth and fangs (Oars, Oars Jr., and some rando giant at ace's execution). There's also I think whats his name in Blackbeard's crew, he's got just the sharp teeth.
I don't think they're giants. I thought the Charlotte/Linlin has a sore spot with the lack of giants and has been trying really hard to get them into her clan.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They're large men with strange body shapes, like Gecko Moriah, or like Doflamingo who whilst not strangely shaped is ludicrously big for a human. Humans just sometimes get huge in One Piece. Batholemew Kuma was also just a human, although he's gotten roboticized heavily.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
One Piece is like when you dumped out all your toys on the floor and played war with ‘em. 12” G. I. Joes fighting 3” Star Wars figures? Yeah, why not? Toy dinosaurs? Throw them in too. Tiny LEGO men? Sure, they can fight. Scale is all over the place and no one really questions it anymore.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you couldn't tell from the proportions of female characters, he has a difficult time with scale.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

If you couldn't tell from the proportions of female characters, he has a difficult time with scale.
haha this is so true. He's even commented on his boob drawing and essentially said he does not give a gently caress what others think. The stark contrast between pre/post timeskip Robin/Nami was really jarring.

But I think the majority of enemies that faceoff Luffy are intentionally larger and I don;t really mind. A lot of the big navy head honchos are huge as well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SpartanIvy posted:

I think you are mistaking a lack of fucks as a difficult time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also a difficulty with scale implies these characters aren’t intentionally really tall or broad or oddly shaped for character design reasons and don’t have to be all human sized or shaped because this is a fantasy series.

Like, it’s not a new thing to have oddly shaped or larger than real life humans in this series. White beard was entirely human as far as we know and towered over everyone he interacted with who wasn’t a giant.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Katakuri can also be translated as Dogtooth

かたくり
片栗
1. dogtooth violet (Erythronium japonicum)

I can't imagine he's named after some elaborate pun involving a flower name in English.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also a difficulty with scale implies these characters aren’t intentionally really tall or broad or oddly shaped for character design reasons and don’t have to be all human sized or shaped because this is a fantasy series.

Like, it’s not a new thing to have oddly shaped or larger than real life humans in this series. White beard was entirely human as far as we know and towered over everyone he interacted with who wasn’t a giant.

He towers over them as well in presence. :zoro:

Onmi posted:

I think you are mistaking a lack of fucks as a difficult time.

I think he has a lot of fucks, just those fucks are for that exact female body plan. It could be his personal taste, or it could be what he thinks his audience wants.
It may just be laziness though as you claim, but we can't be sure I guess.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The argument Oda doesn’t do alternate female body types feels especially weird given Big Mom has been on screen quite often, as has several of her daughters who are not as varied as the sons but still varied in regard to body shape.

Also Oda draws Nami with a focus on how attractive she is partially because his wife cosplays as Nami and he wants to show how attractive he thinks his wife is.

The point is Oda is very good and dedicated to designing characters and suggesting he has difficulty with scale is incredibly silly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

The argument Oda doesn’t do alternate female body types feels especially weird given Big Mom has been on screen quite often, as has several of her daughters who are not as varied as the sons but still varied in regard to body shape.

Oda sometimes draws grotesque caricatures alongside the Nami clones, yes. That's not what people are complaining about the absence of.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

かたくり
片栗

I can't imagine he's named after some elaborate pun involving a flower name in English.

No, you misunderstood. When fan translations got to him, people were split on calling him Katakuri or Dogtooth, so multiple people referred to him as such, even after the official Viz Translations came out. And his name is a reference to the flower, which is edible and can be used to make starch, whether or not the "dog-tooth" part was intentional

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
So did Luffy just learned how mimic Katakuri's foresight ability? Ages ago in the Water7 arc he learned how to speed move (whatever that move is called) midfight. I wonder if this is similar

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shadow0 posted:

かたくり
片栗

He towers over them as well in presence. :zoro:

I think he has a lot of fucks, just those fucks are for that exact female body plan. It could be his personal taste, or it could be what he thinks his audience wants.
It may just be laziness though as you claim, but we can't be sure I guess.

I'm not suggesting he's lazy when I say he doesn't give a gently caress. I'm saying that keeping things in a realistic proportion is not something he has a desire for. Why is Katakuri Huge despite not being a giant of any kind? Same Reason Big Mom is because he finds that cool.

Oda is the embodiment of the question "I could, but why would I want to?" and no answer actually being good enough in his view to change his mind.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

So did Luffy just learned how mimic Katakuri's foresight ability? Ages ago in the Water7 arc he learned how to speed move (whatever that move is called) midfight. I wonder if this is similar

I'm guessing not. It looks more to me like Katakuri's foresight isn't working anymore. Note the sound isn't happening to indicate him using it, and also that Katakuri does not appear particularly surprised Luffy can hit him now. He knows that Luffy has exposed his weakness, somehow.

My current theory is that there's an aspect of his foresight that requires intimidation, or some level of self-assurance that was lost when Luffy saw his mouth.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Im thinking he has to remain calm for it to work and Luffy's interference with his ~donut time~ finally pushed him over the edge and now he can't focus.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

No, you misunderstood. When fan translations got to him, people were split on calling him Katakuri or Dogtooth, so multiple people referred to him as such, even after the official Viz Translations came out. And his name is a reference to the flower, which is edible and can be used to make starch, whether or not the "dog-tooth" part was intentional

Ah, I see. That's pretty neat. Seems a bit excessive to translate his name though. Are the other children similarly named in vague references to food?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Ah, I see. That's pretty neat. Seems a bit excessive to translate his name though. Are the other children similarly named in vague references to food?

Yes, infact most of them are food/cooking/kitchen themed. Obviously there's Pudding (Purin). There's Daifuku, which is a Japanese confection consisting of a small round mochi stuffed with sweet filling, most commonly anko, sweetened red bean paste made from azuki beans.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Im thinking he has to remain calm for it to work and Luffy's interference with his ~donut time~ finally pushed him over the edge and now he can't focus.

I suspect this is the case too.

Luffy's already fought against and beaten observation haki users who can predict his movements so I'm a bit surprised it's taken him this long to realise what's up.

I'm still a bit annoyed at the absurd OP-ness of Katakuri's Mochi ability being able to absorb Luffy's haki punches, I though the point of armament haki was that it allowed you to ignore logia abilities and hit your opponent's true form?

I was amused by Luffy's complaint that yet again he's been forced to eat a ton in order to defeat someone.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

I suspect this is the case too.

Luffy's already fought against and beaten observation haki users who can predict his movements so I'm a bit surprised it's taken him this long to realise what's up.

I'm still a bit annoyed at the absurd OP-ness of Katakuri's Mochi ability being able to absorb Luffy's haki punches, I though the point of armament haki was that it allowed you to ignore logia abilities and hit your opponent's true form?

I was amused by Luffy's complaint that yet again he's been forced to eat a ton in order to defeat someone.

Katakuri's power isn't a logia as far as I can tell. It's paramecia just like Luffy.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tir McDohl posted:

Katakuri's power isn't a logia as far as I can tell. It's paramecia just like Luffy.

Weird, I'm sure he's been shown turning his limbs and body into mochi, not just producing it. I thought 'turn your body into x at will' was the trademark of logia type abilities. Like, Luffy is paramecia because he's always rubber, he can't turn the power off at will.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He could be faking it like that one slime guy from the doflamingo team.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Katakuri's fruit was a logia in the original Shonen Jump chapter release but was changed to be a "special paramecia with logia type properties" in the manga volume release because ???

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ryaomon posted:

Katakuri's fruit was a logia in the original Shonen Jump chapter release but was changed to be a "special paramecia with logia type properties" in the manga volume release because ???

Because the logia types are literally "nature system", so only natural things like lightning or smoke can qualify.

So Katakuri finally confirmed something that I was a bit confused about. There's a few times where it's suggested that logia types reflexively transform to avoid damage, rather than just automatically, but if Katakuri is purposefully dodging, then I guess that's not the case. Though that could be because Luffy is using haki, so I guess maybe it doesn't prove anything after all... The result is generally the same though so I guess it doesn't matter.

Also endless donuts might be the best/worst power ever (if they were actual donuts).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only power that can stop him now is Homer Simpson.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Yeah Katakuri's devil fruit powers are bullshit. I thought Logias like the Kizaru who is literally light were utter bullshit until it was revealed that Haki can fight against such powers. But now Katakuri is seemingly taking these haki punches directly.

If Katakuri was ranked , hes at least War Lord if not Yonko. I have no idea how Luffy is going to beat him in his current condition. Hasn't he been up for like 48+ hours straight? He fought General Cracker using G4, fought through the forest, got smacked by Sanji, got beaten by the army while waiting for Sanji, then escaped and attacked big Mama, then ran for several kilometres through the forest while big mama is chasing him and now he's fighting another general.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The trick will probably be getting katakuri riled up enough to stop focusing on observation haki. If I were luffy I would probably distract him by sympathizing with his love of donuts, he shouldn't have to feel guilty about it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
He explained it, he’s shifting his body because he is made out of Mochi.

Logia types have done that before (see Kizaru, Akainu and Aokiji). Trebol was also a Paramecia type and he pulled off a similar trick by making himself look like a Logia when he wasn’t.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He was a logia for like 2 chapters in the Manga before Oda was reminded that mochi can't be a logia.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So basically Katakuri has a Logia type fruit that has all the powers associated with Logia fruits except it's called a Paramecia type fruit because *reasons*.

At least we have confirmation that riling him up stops him from concentrating on his haki.

I was kinda hoping that we'd have another situation like Cracker or Trebol where his 'body' was fake like armour made out of Mochi, and his actual body was tiny and buried in there somewhere.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We are... on the cruise! I don't have a lot of expertise on the devil fruit talk here but I like it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Warping their bodies to dodge was something I had thought logias should be able to do to dodge, and I'm glad someone else thought of it. Making future vision a requirement to use that ability is sensible and a good way to prevent it's over-use.

Zark the Damned posted:

I was kinda hoping that we'd have another situation like Cracker or Trebol where his 'body' was fake like armour made out of Mochi, and his actual body was tiny and buried in there somewhere.

I was hoping the opposite. I felt like that was going to be overplayed if they did it again.

I liked that the logias were so overpowered. Beating them involved some kind of puzzle. Now they just get punched like everyone else. Haki is kind of a boring ability to me, which people have different levels of it inexplicably. I don't know, it just feels less fun.

It's weird too because in Dressrosa a lot of regular soldiers were able to use haki.

Heavy Metal posted:

We are... on the cruise! I don't have a lot of expertise on the devil fruit talk here but I like it.

That's the spirit!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

I liked that the logias were so overpowered. Beating them involved some kind of puzzle. Now they just get punched like everyone else. Haki is kind of a boring ability to me, which people have different levels of it inexplicably. I don't know, it just feels less fun.

It's weird too because in Dressrosa a lot of regular soldiers were able to use haki.
I like the idea of Haki and all it's flavours. When it was originally introduced I thought only super strong people who trained extremely hard attained Haki. But now, yeah, some rando foot soliders could use it which really made no sense. Look at the crew, only 3 can use it (Luffy, Zoro, Sanji) the rest use other techniques to defeat their enemies. Everyone using haki makes it really boring.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Suspicious Lump posted:

I like the idea of Haki and all it's flavours. When it was originally introduced I thought only super strong people who trained extremely hard attained Haki. But now, yeah, some rando foot soliders could use it which really made no sense. Look at the crew, only 3 can use it (Luffy, Zoro, Sanji) the rest use other techniques to defeat their enemies. Everyone using haki makes it really boring.
5, Pretty sure Jimbei has used Haki before, and Usopp used observation in Dressrosa.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah, it was cool initially, but then everyone could do it. And then there was a lot of "You think your haki is stronger than mine?!"

The beam battles that Luffy keep getting into are also kind of silly. Luffy is just floating in the air pressing on someone pushing back, and it just makes no sense even if I suspend belief. And now there's ridiculous haki lightning flying around all the time as well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sooooo is anybody else concerned that Jimbei is not in the OP?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, it was cool initially, but then everyone could do it. And then there was a lot of "You think your haki is stronger than mine?!"

The beam battles that Luffy keep getting into are also kind of silly. Luffy is just floating in the air pressing on someone pushing back, and it just makes no sense even if I suspend belief. And now there's ridiculous haki lightning flying around all the time as well.

The second and (somewhat) third complaints are anime additions.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

5, Pretty sure Jimbei has used Haki before, and Usopp used observation in Dressrosa.
Ah you are right, Usopp does have Haki powers. But Jimbei isn't technically crew yet.

Shadow0 posted:

Or Luffy somehow exerting more force midair. How does that work?! I've always assumed it's an anime thing done (badly) for suspense. Does this poo poo happen in the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I suspect katakuri's devil fruit powers might be from a custom made devil fruit, which would explain why it can be both logia and paramecia. I mean, it can't be a coincidence that not only did these ingredient/cooking themed devil fruits naturally exist but that her crew identified and secured all the appropriately themed ones. Or I guess it could, but it's kind of hackneyed.