Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Brave frontier was one of the first gacha games I played. Apparently they released a new one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumieurope.origins

Any feedback? I'm gonna give it a shot since I didn't really get into dragalia lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

m.hache posted:

Brave frontier was one of the first gacha games I played. Apparently they released a new one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumieurope.origins

Any feedback? I'm gonna give it a shot since I didn't really get into dragalia lost.

I tried it briefly, it seemed like a standard gacha RPG and I mean that in the best(?) way possible.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kiranamos posted:

I tried it briefly, it seemed like a standard gacha RPG and I mean that in the best(?) way possible.

It's a departure from the original layout. The main screen and stay screen just seem so busy.

I may try it on my tablet again. I think I need a gacha in an established franchise to get hooked again. Dokkan Battle and FFBE were my jam.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

precision posted:

What game was the Patient Zero for deck building roguelikes? I kinda can't believe Slay the Spire is popular enough to have inspired all these games with the same general mechanics

It was Dream Quest, after which came Monster Slayers and Slay the Spire, which was the first game that really made it big and definitely is popular enough to inspire lots more copycats (hopefully not direct clones). Apparently there have been a couple of Chinese knock-offs inbetween. Oh, and there's also Hearthstone SP mode designed by DQ's Peter Whalen, but I like it more in theory than in practice.

Dream Quest is one of my absolute favourite games, although Slay the Spire is pretty good as well.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I uninstalled Dragalia. I really wanted to like it, I dug the art and the vibrant color, but the gacha rates combined with somewhat garbage controls killed it for me.

Onto the next.

I'm still playing Almost a Hero and enjoying it, but I'm in the 450s and things are slowing down and becoming tedious. So let us know how that Last Summoner game is I guess!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to feel the same way about Almost a Hero, though I'm at 525. It just gets annoying when you get to the point where your team is just constantly getting instantly wiped out over and prestiging doesn't even make you come close to getting another Mythical artifact. Still, I'll give it a few more times around at least.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Finally had a chance to have a more in-depth look at Wandering Night. As expected, it is very much derivative of Slay the Spire at its core, and starting cards are basically the same with maybe very slight differences. There are substantial changes compared to the original, though. Map navigation has a completely different strategy to it, as many have pointed out. You also unlock new cards (that are more different from StS, if my memory serves me right) with each play, new items, and even new game modes. With daily quests it almost seems feasible to get at least one more class for free, but I'll have to invest some more time to be sure. Someone mentioned difficulty, and I really didn't notice much of a difference there. On my second play, once I understood what different map spells do, I managed to kill the first boss quite easily.
The are many problems with localisation, however. For example, they have the card from StS that is buffed by other cards with a specific word in their name, but that word is not there for the same cards as in StS. Sometimes text doesn't fit buttons, or they use weird abbreviations, poor English, etc. Mild annoyances all in all, because otherwise the game works well, and it's not very text-heavy to begin with.
I'm still undecided if I'm going to pay for more classes (and there are more classes than in StS), but so far the game was more enjoyable than not.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's everyone's favorite gacha game right now? Age of Magic?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

axelblaze posted:

I'm starting to feel the same way about Almost a Hero, though I'm at 525. It just gets annoying when you get to the point where your team is just constantly getting instantly wiped out over and prestiging doesn't even make you come close to getting another Mythical artifact. Still, I'll give it a few more times around at least.

That's about when I stopped playing AAH too. The experience wasn't passive enough at that point and I really had to actively play and attend to it when trying to speed through runs. And if I wasn't rushing through using the speed items it felt like I was wasting my time.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Syrinxx posted:

I'm still playing Marvel Puzzle Quest of all things, I'm finally at a point where I'm progressing fairly quickly and don't feel hampered by roster space anymore and it's only taken like four years!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Syrinxx posted:

I still really enjoy Girls Frontline. I figured it would be shallow and dull after I got berated by Facebook ads for it but it actually has a surprising amount of tactics and depth involved. You don't pull characters with premium currency either, everything is farmable - the premium stuff is just for expansion and add-ons but you get a bit from missions and events, and for the majority of the game it's actually not to your advantage to use 5-star "legendary" units so rerolling is pointless. Some of the 2-3 stars are just as good or even better depending on the situation.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 2, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Final Fantasy Record Keeper

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trying out my new tablet and came across this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beamdog.pstee

On sale. Get it while it's hot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

m.hache posted:

Trying out my new tablet and came across this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beamdog.pstee

On sale. Get it while it's hot.

I can't believe this is compatible with my phone. I'd probably develop myopia after trying to read a single conversation in this.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

I can't believe this is compatible with my phone. I'd probably develop myopia after trying to read a single conversation in this.

I think it says even though it's compatible they don't recommend it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Kheldarn posted:

Final Fantasy Record Keeper

FFRK is one of the few games that still give me fist pumping, adrenaline rush thrills and chills gameplay.

The other game series is the Souls series and even though they're completely different games they hit extremely similar sweet endorphin sweet spots: fine tuning strategies until a seemingly undefeated boss is taken down, relatively slow and deliberate gameplay where every button counts, long and exacting battles, and constant balance of risk vs. reward in every exchange.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

One of the biggest differences i noticed is that there's an Act 3 regular encounter which is basically a buff Gremlin Nob + Lagavulin, which fucks inevitability decks like Demon Form + max block.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

axelblaze posted:

AAH opens up a ways when you max out your cappables and get Custom Tailor, usually about level 630ish. From there it's a prestige-mining fest so you can max out your artifacts. I nearly uninstalled but stuck with it and it feels a lot less restrictive now

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a Pathfinder style game but not awful? Not needing to be card based, but RPGy

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

tentacles posted:

AAH opens up a ways when you max out your cappables and get Custom Tailor, usually about level 630ish. From there it's a prestige-mining fest so you can max out your artifacts. I nearly uninstalled but stuck with it and it feels a lot less restrictive now

the concept of having to like, spend several days grinding stones to level up PQ to a certain point then reroll every single one of your gems was so unappealing i uninstalled around 430

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Got a fun endless runner where you are a cat and you collect other cats. Also hats. Called Crashy Cats

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ElectricTurtle.CatCrash&hl=en_CA

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

IAmTheRad posted:

Got a fun endless runner where you are a cat and you collect other cats. Also hats. Called Crashy Cats

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ElectricTurtle.CatCrash&hl=en_CA

Why does that app need access to my camera and microphone?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is Hustle Castle, how can they afford to advertise so much, why are their ads so awful and why does the art style look as if Tim Buckley took over as head animator for Family Guy?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jobson groeth posted:

the usual reasons are
- it has some dumb way to record and superimpose you on top of photo/video from the game and post it to social websites
- the developer messed up the permissions file by accident
- spyware

that game looks kind of abandoned, too

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm a game called Fairy Knights lately and it's a puzzle RPG with a Pipe Dreamesque battle system. It's fun and it's a paid game with no microtransactions. The main issies with it is it can feel a bit dimple at times and MAN is the English translation god awful. It's standable but it's still pretty inexcusably bad.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Command & Conquer Rivals just dropped a pretty huge update

https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-rivals/news/update-1-1

Might be followed by an expansion of the beta group?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm trying real hard to enjoy Final Fantasy Record Keeper but these goddamn games just have way too much complicated poo poo going on constantly and it wears me down

Back to my 11th replay of the Kingdom Rush series

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Syrinxx posted:

I downloaded Dragalia Lost. For a gacha game, it's surprisingly forthcoming with summons.

Would reccomend starting now, it's having a launch giveaways where you get free jewels with the daily login.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

I'm enjoying Soccer Spirits. The gacha rates are terrible, but I enjoy that unlike the other games I've played, synergy between characters is really important and you can make teams in a lot of different ways and be competitive. "Bad" players can be good in some setups and some high end players are useless without the right players supporting them.

Edit: And now is actually a nice time to start. They just had their 4 year anniversary, are throwing out items left and right, and current event gives you a maxed out 5* character of your choice.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 4, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

jobson groeth posted:

I use Android Pie, didn't ask for camera and microphone.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Palleon posted:

I'm enjoying Soccer Spirits. The gacha rates are terrible, but I enjoy that unlike the other games I've played, synergy between characters is really important and you can make teams in a lot of different ways and be competitive. "Bad" players can be good in some setups and some high end players are useless without the right players supporting them.

Edit: And now is actually a nice time to start. They just had their 4 year anniversary, are throwing out items left and right, and current event gives you a maxed out 5* character of your choice.

A soccer game?

That sounds cool, I've really had enough with these Anime style gachas with underage girls in revealing outfits, a soccer game sounds up my alley.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Funso Banjo posted:

That sounds cool, I've really had enough with these Anime style gachas with underage girls in revealing outfits, a soccer game sounds up my alley.

I have bad news friend

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I am fairly certain that is the joke, but if not then yeah, you might be disappointed there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You could get the ds emulator and that soccer game?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Kairosoft soccer manager games are really really good, better than their usual fare

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kecske posted:

Funso Banjo posted:

I have bad news friend

This loving killed me oh man

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Cross posting from the iOS gaming thread....

Dragonrah posted:

Anyone still playing Hades’ Star need a Corp? We need some fresh blood. Our active members are mostly 4-7 RS. If you’re interested you can search for “Explore Hades” and join up. Or you can hit me up here.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Stardew Valley coming to mobile. It launches on iOS on 10/29, and they hope to have an Android release date soon.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Stardew Valley coming to mobile. It launches on iOS on 10/29, and they hope to have an Android release date soon.

It won't be a stripped down version. Basically the same as 1.3, except without multiplayer. So now a good Harvest Moon-eque game will be on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy gently caress.

That is absolutely incredible.

Now for Klei to port Invisible Inc!