Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I liked Mandy but it was very much style over substance. I enjoyed looking at it more than cared about what was going on. I was a little disappointed by it too, but I thought it was far from bad.

Hot take: style is substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I liked Mandy but it was very much style over substance. I enjoyed looking at it more than cared about what was going on. I was a little disappointed by it too, but I thought it was far from bad.

:agreed:

It's very much worth a watch, especially if you're able to see it in theaters. I'd recommend sitting closer to the screen than usual and just let the visuals envelop your entire periphery.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

redreader posted:

As my friend put it: "it's like they were being paid by the minute, to make it draw out as long as possible". As I put it, "they tried to make it like a David Lynch movie and failed." I'm mad because I really wanted to like it.

It's definitely over-long, but the problem has nothing to do with Lynchian pretensions or whatever. Like, veni veni veni's thing about "style over substance" is only just scratching the surface, which is that it's actually really just the "style" aspect of the film that just isn't that remarkable. This whole "synthwave" aesthetic is really popular nowadays, but, to shamelessly crib from SMG, I need more than colored lights. One begins to suspect that a much better film could have been made if Cosmatos extended himself in the complete opposite direction, of just getting rid of all the dichromatic color gimmicks and just made a movie about Nick Cage slaughtering Cenobite bikers and Manson/Reagan-fusion cultists in a totally stark and straightforward way. I'm thinking less Blade Runner and more Evil Dead II.

I enjoyed the film well enough, and I must maintain that I vehemently disagree with your outright dismissal of it. There's a lot more going on under the hood even if I think it's very much overrated. It's just that as is Cosmatos is spinning his wheels conceptually doing a lot of things that a lot of his contemporaries are already doing, and many of them much better. It doesn't hold a candle to, say, Lords of Salem, or some of this year's films like Assassination Nation or even Upgrade.

And in good faith, I'm gonna have to put my foot down again about Thirst Street. Nathan Silver's got way more conceptual imagination and aesthetic proficiency than Cosmatos demonstrates here. The opening sequence of Thirst Street accomplishes everything that Mandy gestures at in its entire running time, and then just moves on.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'll shut up about Mandy after this, but I was also mad it wasn't on in the cinema and I had to rent it off amazon prime. At least it was on amazon prime! It might have been better on the big screen. This was Friday though but I've been checking at least once a week from before the release date, and it's STILL not on at the local cinema.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I forgot how awesome Blade is. It just got put on Netflix a few days ago, and now I want Blade to show up in the next Avengers movie.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 9, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Legend is on amazon prime. I remember it being awesome when I saw it on channel 11 all the time as a kid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
K. Waste, I like you but that is a straight up bad loving opinion

e: about the only part of that I'll agree with is that Cosmatos is kind of spinning his wheels conceptually, but the thing is, that's deliberate. it's very consciously him paying tribute to as many of his influences as he could cram in one movie, including at least one of his dad's own movies (the forging of The Beast is apparently meant as a semi-callback to Of Unknown Origin, though I'm not sure I see it myself). it's a mixtape movie, not unlike something like Kill Bill, and that's absolutely not a negative if it's done with purpose rather than simply because the creators are incapable of original thought.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 9, 2018

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I was so pumped for the next jeremy saulnier movie after blue ruin and green room, and dang did hold the dark stink. maybe because I live in alaska, but all the characters acted like aliens and nothing they did made sense. the writer and director clearly never set foot in AK or even did very basic research. like a 15 second google search to see if it's a death penalty state. there was a really tight scene where a yupik guy mowed down dozens of cops with a crew-served machine gun though

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Room temp take: I liked Mandy because it was weird and uneven and I liked Hold the Dark because it was alienating and moody, even though I support other people not liking them because of those same features. May a thousand flowers bloom. :shobon:

For my recommendation, I finally caught up on season 1 of American Vandal and holy poo poo did that live up to the hype for me. I thought it was hysterical, well-acted, and even packed an emotional punch at the end. What a great little series! If I have any criticisms about it, I think they have maybe 6.5 episodes worth of material stretched into 8 episodes, so YMMV on whether the joke feels too played over the course of the series, but I thought there was enough good acting and enough interesting emotional beats that I didn't mind.

Any word on whether S2 lives up to S1?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
S2 is great, if you think poop is funny.

(That's a set-up)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wish Cosmatos had done more with the Rob Zombie stuff, i.e. when the cult catches sight of Mandy the first time and it does the 'last known photo' effect on her.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mary had a little clam posted:

Room temp take: I liked Mandy because it was weird and uneven and I liked Hold the Dark because it was alienating and moody, even though I support other people not liking them because of those same features. May a thousand flowers bloom. :shobon:

For my recommendation, I finally caught up on season 1 of American Vandal and holy poo poo did that live up to the hype for me. I thought it was hysterical, well-acted, and even packed an emotional punch at the end. What a great little series! If I have any criticisms about it, I think they have maybe 6.5 episodes worth of material stretched into 8 episodes, so YMMV on whether the joke feels too played over the course of the series, but I thought there was enough good acting and enough interesting emotional beats that I didn't mind.

I thought S2 was better than S1. And I loved S1.

I think 8 episodes was perfect for S1, but I thought they went askew by making them all the same length. The plot beats worked around the episode breaks but some eps felt too long.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish Cosmatos had done more with the Rob Zombie stuff, i.e. when the cult catches sight of Mandy the first time and it does the 'last known photo' effect on her.

I really need to get around to watching some of Rob Zombie's films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's made his duds but is otherwise a great filmmaker. I hope he gets to do his Chaplin thing.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Timby posted:

It's a genuinely great show.

I really enjoyed all of it except Kevin Pollak's character.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Part 4 of Terrace House now on Netflix.:3:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

S2 is also very good. I think it does some things better than the first season and that it's better paced, but overall I liked the first one a bit better. But the second season is still great and very funny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Season 2 just feels like more of an actual documentary. Season 1 was amazing and over the top, and nothing can top the CGI hand job.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

K. Waste, I like you but that is a straight up bad loving opinion

e: about the only part of that I'll agree with is that Cosmatos is kind of spinning his wheels conceptually, but the thing is, that's deliberate. it's very consciously him paying tribute to as many of his influences as he could cram in one movie, including at least one of his dad's own movies (the forging of The Beast is apparently meant as a semi-callback to Of Unknown Origin, though I'm not sure I see it myself). it's a mixtape movie, not unlike something like Kill Bill, and that's absolutely not a negative if it's done with purpose rather than simply because the creators are incapable of original thought.

I need more than tribute, and I don't like Kill Bill.

Of Unknown Origin is really good, though, that's for sure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I liked Mandy, but there's a lot of wasted potential there. Like you've got all these hints about Mandy being the "author" of her own death, framing Red's revenge rampage as her fantasy, some hints towards the end of Red himself having a history of mystical experience / transgression, the nod towards Reagan heralding the death and corruption of the hippie era, and so on... but all of that mostly just ends up being characterization at best, and references for the sake of reference at worst.

I'd love to hear someone prove me wrong and draw all of that into a cohesive reading -- and I think the Mandy-as-author stuff comes close -- but I wasn't entirely satisfied with what we got.

e: tagged some of that stuff just in case

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 10, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's made his duds but is otherwise a great filmmaker. I hope he gets to do his Chaplin thing.

Is the newest one any good? I think it's exclusive to Shudder.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You guys keep talking about Mandy, where is it streaming? I don't see it unless I'm blind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

You guys keep talking about Mandy, where is it streaming? I don't see it unless I'm blind.

It's a rental on Amazon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

I need more than tribute, and I don't like Kill Bill.

Of Unknown Origin is really good, though, that's for sure.

I'm just saying, it's kinda silly to crap on a movie for having too many homages to other things when the entire point is to cobble together a shitload of homages and tributes into a semi-coherent narrative. That's not the movie being bad, that's the movie not being your bag from its very conception- at that point, the execution doesn't even matter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Malevolent was loving terrible. Netflix still knocking them out of the park lately with these original movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm just saying, it's kinda silly to crap on a movie for having too many homages to other things when the entire point is to cobble together a shitload of homages and tributes into a semi-coherent narrative. That's not the movie being bad, that's the movie not being your bag from its very conception- at that point, the execution doesn't even matter.

I didn't crap on it for having too many homages. I never once mentioned homage until your brought it up.

I mentioned that neither its aesthetic choices nor its plot are terribly unique, neither is particularly well-done judged by either precedents or contemporaries, and I wrote those things specifically in the context of challenging a poster who was like "this is really bad." I am not crapping on anything, I am attempting to engage one viewer's viscerally negative reaction to the film, pointing out reasons why that might be, while reserving the right to say that I still like the movie and explicitly saying it's not bad by any standard.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Groucho Marx, actually!

And based on "Raised Eyebrows" which was a biography written by a young guy who ended up being Groucho's de facto archivist in the last three years of his life. I think that's such a great angle and agree with you, I would love to see this made!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
gently caress Groucho!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Malevolent was loving terrible. Netflix still knocking them out of the park lately with these original movies.

Yeah it was insanely boring but I guess the finale caught my attention for a bit

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even by horror movie standards the thing that videographer kid did near the end (Kills crazy son and just leaves crazy mom wide open so he can untie the girl) was infuriatingly dumb.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Groucho Marx, actually!

And based on "Raised Eyebrows" which was a biography written by a young guy who ended up being Groucho's de facto archivist in the last three years of his life. I think that's such a great angle and agree with you, I would love to see this made!

Groucho yes, sorry. I'm fascinated how that would turn out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I liked Bright but all their other original movies have been terrible. It’s weird, because their TV stuff can be really truly great, even if it’s not as cosistently good as it used to be.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked Bright but all their other original movies have been terrible. It�s weird, because their TV stuff can be really truly great, even if it�s not as cosistently good as it used to be.
Beasts of No Nation is good! And 13th if we're counting documentaries.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I liked Bright but all their other original movies have been terrible. It’s weird, because their TV stuff can be really truly great, even if it’s not as cosistently good as it used to be.

It's not really weird. For movies, the goal for top filmmakers is the theater. Streaming is the runner-up prize. But for TV developers, it's the ideal format, it has the greatest amount of creative freedom for them.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

There are two of us :respek:. I liked Bright more than just about any other original movie Netflix has done. It's not a super great film, but I think its enjoyable and I've seen it a few times just for schlocky enjoyment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I thought Death Note was pretty great. It's a teen horror movie, but it's a fun as hell teen horror movie with a lot of actors I like, an aesthetic and soundtrack I love, and a lot of interesting subtext.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve loved a handful of original Netflix movies like wheelman and the ritual. Probably a few more I’m forgetting too. And there was a bunch before that that I enjoyed that were usually foreign films distributed by them.

I think they’ve gone downhill since they have tried to go the faux Hollywood route.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh yeah, I forgot about Wheelman. That movie was amazing. No budget and filmed in 19 days but they really pulled it off. Having the almost the whole thing filmed from inside the car was brilliant.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Wheelman, Death Note, Bright, are all rad, yeah. And folks are always forgetting Beasts of No Nation.

If you didn't know any better, it's almost like people just have an axe to grind against one brand for completely arbitrary reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
They're all rad, but not particularly great. I agree there is anti-netflix bias in review sites, but not to the extent that some people claim.